• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Zyzyxxz

godhandiscen said:
This advice is right, however I wouldn't say that you need a "crazy income" for the best of the best. It all depends on what you save for. Though whenever I think of the things I could have bought with the money I spent in computer parts...

Well its all relative on what you determine is "the best" you can buy.

Of course you can go Tri-SLI with GTX295's. But for someone like me the best single card solution would be the GTX295/4870x2.

Both I advise against buying unless you game at least 1900x1200 but preferably higher?

I mean other than Crysis my 4870 can run any game I throw at it perfectly fine at the highest settings.

godhandiscen said:
What happened to your old system? Did the overclock kill the motherboard or what?
Motherboard had issues, RMA'ed, Gigabyte sent me back a new board.
Get mobo back, PSU was dead. :lol :(
RMA the PSU back to BFG--- Sent me a new one. :D

I have missed it quite a bit. :D

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
VictimOfGrief said:
Motherboard had issues, RMA'ed, Gigabyte sent me back a new board.
Get mobo back, PSU was dead. :lol :(
RMA the PSU back to BFG--- Sent me a new one. :D

I have missed it quite a bit. :D
Yeah, I RMA'd my videocard a while ago and it took me 2 weeks to get a new card back. Those are tough times.

godhandiscen said:
Yeah, I RMA'd my videocard a while ago and it took me 2 weeks to get a new card back. Those are tough times.
The irony of all of this too is I'm now #8 in the eVGA step up queue and it's like... "Dammit!!! I just got my PC back together!!" :lol

godhandiscen

VictimOfGrief said:
The irony of all of this too is I'm now #8 in the eVGA step up queue and it's like... "Dammit!!! I just got my PC back together!!" :lol
I thought you had SLI'd 285's already. What are you in the queue for? How fast are the eVGA queues? I wonder if I will ever be able to step up my GTX295 to something else.

Bebpo

Banned
Here's what I had this morning:

PSU - 330W
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-VM CSM Rev 1.xx
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 4000+ @ 2411 Mhz
PC3200 ram 1 gig
PC3200 ram 512
PC3200 ram 512
1 free ram slot left
120gig main SATA hard drive
120gig additional SATA hard drive
E-VGA Geforce 7600GT 256ram
Some cheap soundcard for doing 5.1 out to my receiver
one more PC-E slots left (but if I get a bigger video card it will eat that up)
CD reader/writer
DVD reader/writer

The computer has been 80% a HTPC running out to my XBR960 CRT HDTV (1152x648) for 720p video and 20% for gaming.

Then I saw Crysis & Red Alert 3 for $10 today at Best Buy and bought them. Now I want to upgrade (they both run pretty smooth at all settings on low, but ughhhh low).

Today I bought and installed:
750w PSU replacing the 330w
640gig hard SATA hard drive

Now I need to figure out what to do. My current plan is this, so gaf let me know what you think:

I'm thinking about getting a Asus 9800GT tomorrow off newegg and for now enjoying my 3-4x faster performance rig and Crysis on medium settings @~30fps. then in another month or so when I have more cash (don't want to blow a whole ton at once), getting a new motherboard + cpu combo so I'm not cpu bottlenecked.

I'm running XP. Is there any reason I should upgrade to Vista for gaming? I know it has DX10.0, but I haven't been impressed enough with DX9 vs. DX10 examples to upgrade an operating system, especially one that eats up more ram just for it.

Is that an ok idea? Or should I be thinking of other options? Also should I upgrade to more ram/better ram?

Bebpo

Banned
I guess a better way to ask is:

If I'm going to be so bottlenecked by my cpu that I won't get the upgrade in performance I want with the e-vga 7600GT -> asus 9800GT (I want at least 3-4x performance increase. So from 8-10fps -> ~30fps), should I buy:

Phenom II X4 940 3.0ghz + Gigabyte mobo for $318
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.165047
Asus 9800 for $150

so about $500.

...or if I can get 3-4x performance on my current cpu/mobo just by upgrading the video card and then get another 2x increase a month or two down the line with a cpu/mobo, I'd rather do that just so I can only pay $150 now and $300ish in a few months.

Also before anyone recommends an Ati vidcard since that new Ati price drop will give better gaming performance at $150 than a 9800gt, I'm sticking with Nvidia because I bought the purevideo codec for my 7600gt and the performance was unbelievable. I want to keep using their purevideo I'm going to stick with Nvidia as long as I keep using my pc as a HTPC.

SRG01

Bebpo said:
I guess a better way to ask is:

If I'm going to be so bottlenecked by my cpu that I won't get the upgrade in performance I want with the e-vga 7600GT -> asus 9800GT (I want at least 3-4x performance increase. So from 8-10fps -> ~30fps), should I buy:

Phenom II X4 940 3.0ghz + Gigabyte mobo for $318
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.165047
Asus 9800 for $150

so about $500.

...or if I can get 3-4x performance on my current cpu/mobo just by upgrading the video card and then get another 2x increase a month or two down the line with a cpu/mobo, I'd rather do that just so I can only pay $150 now and $300ish in a few months.

Also before anyone recommends an Ati vidcard since that new Ati price drop will give better gaming performance at $150 than a 9800gt, I'm sticking with Nvidia because I bought the purevideo codec for my 7600gt and the performance was unbelievable. I want to keep using their purevideo I'm going to stick with Nvidia as long as I keep using my pc as a HTPC.

If you're getting a Phenom II, buy the X3 720. The 940 is terrible value when the X3 720 has more L3 Cache and overclocks about the same.

godhandiscen said:
I thought you had SLI'd 285's already. What are you in the queue for? How fast are the eVGA queues? I wonder if I will ever be able to step up my GTX295 to something else.

That was for another system I built. My main rig was a 9800GT of which I bought and then saved up the funds for a higher end card. Right now I'm waiting in the 285 queue. I was in the 295 queue but after reading about it some more.... and seeing how F' awesome the 285's in SLi were, I decided to just go the 285 route for the time being. Once the 285's drop below $200 bucks, I'll pick up another one for SLi on the main computer.

EDIT: Bebpo, one prob: you have DDR1 memory (you said PC3200...) in your Athlon setup. Anything even relatively new uses DDR2 or even DDR3. Sorry man, but you'll have to toss the memory to move up. (The good news is that a 2GB stick is under $30. 2x2GB? $50.)

SRG01 said:
If you're getting a Phenom II, buy the X3 720. The 940 is terrible value when the X3 720 has more L3 Cache and overclocks about the same.

Except that the combo price is what, $30 more? I'd take the quad core 3GHz stock for that minimal price difference.

Bebpo, I have to admit, your 4000+ is really CPU constrained. I would in fact rather do the Phenom II + 9800 over just upgrading your video. I just went from a Athlon 64 X2 4200 to a Core 2 Quad Q600, and the difference has been pretty massive, even before I swapped out the video. You don't really need to go hardcore on the CPU upgrade, but definitely follow the Phenom II or Core 2 paths.

Are you dead set on the 9800? The GTS250 is out shortly (March 10, apparently?); it's essentially a shorter 9800GTX+ with lower power requirements and a ~$150 USD price tag, and at worst it might lower the price of a vanilla 9800. I'd much rather have a GTX260 though.

Either way, it's pretty amazing how much better a newer rig can be for HT purposes; your CPU should be great with general codec support, but the real highlight to me has been CUDA; honestly only TMPGenc and Badaboom are of any interest to me right now, but hell, Badaboom is doing transcodes (even MKV!) from 720p to 480p at 60-250+fps easily depending on the content (ie: anime transcodes a hell of a lot faster than standard video).

Bebpo said:
I'm running XP. Is there any reason I should upgrade to Vista for gaming? I know it has DX10.0, but I haven't been impressed enough with DX9 vs. DX10 examples to upgrade an operating system, especially one that eats up more ram just for it.

Stick with XP. You don't have enough memory to worry about Vista64 yet, and XP is perfectly fine until Windows 7 ships.

Bebpo

Banned
Thanks CrazyMoogle. I'm kind of dead set on getting the 9800 as I want to do something now to get my computer gaming again. After reading reviews all night I ended up ordering the XFX 9800GTX+ Black Edition for $160 after rebates with free Far Cry 2 & CoD5 (I own neither, so that's worth at least $30 to me). The GTX 260 was a bit out of my price range. Looking at benchmarks it seems like once I upgrade my cpu, the 9800 GTX+ should get me 60fps on all pre-Crysis games and 30fps on Crysis. That good enough to hold me over for another 2-3 years and then I'll jump on whatever vid card is $160 then.

I think what I'll do is try out the card later this week when it arrives and then since it sounds like my cpu is killing me I'll probably jump on a new cpu/mobo right away.

I don't mind too much about ram since it's so cheap these days. What's a good recommendation for ram? 2gigs of DDR3? 3gigs? I don't see any reason why I would need 4gigs...

Bebpo said:
Thanks CrazyMoogle. I'm kind of dead set on getting the 9800 as I want to do something now to get my computer gaming again. After reading reviews all night I ended up ordering the XFX 9800GTX+ Black Edition for $160 after rebates with free Far Cry 2 & CoD5 (I own neither, so that's worth at least $30 to me). The GTX 260 was a bit out of my price range. Looking at benchmarks it seems like once I upgrade my cpu, the 9800 GTX+ should get me 60fps on all pre-Crysis games and 30fps on Crysis. That good enough to hold me over for another 2-3 years and then I'll jump on whatever vid card is $160 then.

Wow, no worries, that's a fine card. XFX has a pretty stellar support system, and as far as I'm concerned that's worth a fair bit more than $30 on the game value. I can't remember if they do trade-ups, but I'm guessing you won't worry about that. :lol

I have to imagine you'll notice some kind of improvement but I never really tried a powerful card in my X2 (shuttle case so only single-slot cards fit), so I can't speak to how badly the CPU will hurt you. Do try the CUDA apps though; you may find the Badaboom demo interesting.

Bebpo said:
I don't mind too much about ram since it's so cheap these days. What's a good recommendation for ram? 2gigs of DDR3? 3gigs? I don't see any reason why I would need 4gigs...

Well, here's the thing. 32bit Windows is not really going to see more than 3, because your system architecture and video card overlay into the 4GB limit. So if you really wanted to go cheap, you could do 3 gigs. But frankly you might as well go 4 gigs (2x2) when you can afford one of the $50 kits. That way you're still set for, say, Windows 7-64 or whatever, you can run dual channel (hence the paired memory), and you won't miss a hell of a lot in 32bit anyways.

If you want to go for short-term value, 2GB is probably okay, although it's hard to say how well two different sticks would behave if you added another one later.

godhandiscen

VictimOfGrief said:
That was for another system I built. My main rig was a 9800GT of which I bought and then saved up the funds for a higher end card. Right now I'm waiting in the 285 queue. I was in the 295 queue but after reading about it some more.... and seeing how F' awesome the 285's in SLi were, I decided to just go the 285 route for the time being. Once the 285's drop below $200 bucks, I'll pick up another one for SLi on the main computer.
Yeah, that is smart. The 285 SLI are about 15% faster than a single 295. For my future upgrade, I don't know if I should sell my 295 and get a single 300, or buy a second 295 and do quad sli. I will wait for benches and such, but yeah, I wish I was in your position, where the upgrade path isn't uncertain.

Crazymoogle said:
Wow, no worries, that's a fine card. XFX has a pretty stellar support system, and as far as I'm concerned that's worth a fair bit more than $30 on the game value. I can't remember if they do trade-ups, but I'm guessing you won't worry about that. :lol

I have to imagine you'll notice some kind of improvement but I never really tried a powerful card in my X2 (shuttle case so only single-slot cards fit), so I can't speak to how badly the CPU will hurt you. Do try the CUDA apps though; you may find the Badaboom demo interesting.

Well, here's the thing. 32bit Windows is not really going to see more than 3, because your system architecture and video card overlay into the 4GB limit. So if you really wanted to go cheap, you could do 3 gigs. But frankly you might as well go 4 gigs (2x2) when you can afford one of the $50 kits. That way you're still set for, say, Windows 7-64 or whatever, you can run dual channel (hence the paired memory), and you won't miss a hell of a lot in 32bit anyways.

If you want to go for short-term value, 2GB is probably okay, although it's hard to say how well two different sticks would behave if you added another one later.

Moogle what are you system specs? Don't see many in here running with a SFF.

Darklord

Banned
I was planning to get Vista Home Premium for my new PC but I read some thing about W7 that said "Unlike Vista Home Premium, this version of Windows 7 can handle DVD playback and DivX codecs"

...What? Home Premium doesn't have dvd playback? It can't use DivX codecs? I must be reading it wrong, can someone explain this?

Tideas

Banned
Darklord said:
I was planning to get Vista Home Premium for my new PC but I read some thing about W7 that said "Unlike Vista Home Premium, this version of Windows 7 can handle DVD playback and DivX codecs"

...What? Home Premium doesn't have dvd playback? It can't use DivX codecs? I must be reading it wrong, can someone explain this?

I think it means Windows 7 probably has a program that can play Divx or playback dvd (i.e. windows media)

You can always just get powerdvd or winamp or divx codec pack

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Darklord said:

Vista Basic and Business were the versions which didn't come with DVD codecs. Premium did, and I never heard of any issues with installing DivX codecs. They must've been referring to one of the other two.

dionysus

Yaldog
64 bit OSes do have strange problems with video codecs and video files. I am using ffdshow 64 bit experimental version and it has random trouble with .avi and other video files. Even weirder is that media center will play anything with that codec pack but windows media player won't play certain avi files. Whereas if I install the 32 bit codec pack the opposite is true, and windows media center won't play the majority of different codecs.

Minsc

Gold Member
dionysus said:
64 bit OSes do have strange problems with video codecs and video files. I am using ffdshow 64 bit experimental version and it has random trouble with .avi and other video files. Even weirder is that media center will play anything with that codec pack but windows media player won't play certain avi files. Whereas if I install the 32 bit codec pack the opposite is true, and windows media center won't play the majority of different codecs.

I find VLC to be the best video player for windows, no separate codec installations are needed. Have you tried running that? The newer builds are quite nice and I find VLC to playback H264 video better than all the other players I've tried.

itxaka

Defeatist
dionysus said:

That is strange. I have only xvid installed and I can play every movie I have with wmp and wmc.

Maybe is some divx 3 files the ones affected? I have seen that even when normally xvid used to decode those, in vista64 it doesn't and wmp has to download a codec every time I play them.

heres my new setup I just put together:

Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner
COOLER MASTER Hyper Z600
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
Sapphire 4870 1GB

I absolutely love it. Im getting twice the performance as before all at 1920x1080.

The case is huge, and so is the cooler. Its keeping everything pretty cool. Im gonna try to juice it up to 3.7Ghz tonight.

MWS Natural said:
Moogle what are you system specs? Don't see many in here running with a SFF.

Back in the day when the X2 was brand new I picked up a Shuttle ST20 case.

Athlon64 X2/4200+
2GB DDR1
Radeon 9800 Pro
200GB SATA Drive

It was desktop fast and about as portable as you could hope for, but SFF really had some problems in those days:

-No HDMI out and really poor HDMI device handling if you went DVI-HDMI
-Only single slot video cards
-Need a floppy drive/disk to install Windows
-Power Supply was internal, not external

I'd probably still be using it if one of the DIMM slots hadn't shorted out, but I have to admit my workstation is basically much more quiet.

zoku88

VictimOfGrief said:
Guys---

What laptops are carrying the ATI mobile 4800 series now?
I don't think any are currently released, but ASUS is close to releasing some (they were shown at CeBit.)

Didn't that 4800 mobility series just get launched officially?

zoku88 said:
I don't think any are currently released, but ASUS is close to releasing some (they were shown at CeBit.)

Didn't that 4800 mobility series just get launched officially?

Boy someone needs to light a fire under ATI's ass and get that SHIT DONE!

Captain Knutsman said:
Personally i'm looking for the same thing. Right now i'm thinking about antec 300 and cooler master 590 and 690.
I can't decide :~[

I just picked up a 690 and it seems to work well. No problems and keeping everything cool.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Zyzyxxz said:
Well its all relative on what you determine is "the best" you can buy.

Of course you can go Tri-SLI with GTX295's. But for someone like me the best single card solution would be the GTX295/4870x2.

Both I advise against buying unless you game at least 1900x1200 but preferably higher?

I mean other than Crysis my 4870 can run any game I throw at it perfectly fine at the highest settings.
"preferably higher?"

I don't know a single person who even has a monitor at the only higher resolution you can buy: 2560x1600.

April 6th is gonna be a big day for AMD as they are going to launch a slew of new cards. As we have told you back in February, Radeon HD 4890 (RV790) is slated for April release and the confirmed date is now 6th of April. Interestingly, we also heard RV740 is pulled in from May to early April release so AMD will probably launch the new cards on the same day.

Radeon HD 4890 (RV790) is still 55nm based and is basically a higher clocked version of RV770. The RV790 card comes with 10 layers PCB and is 9.5" long with a new dual slot cooler. We told you previously, there are 2 versions; standard and OC edition. The OC edition will come later in April. The price for standard 512MB edition is US$199 while the price for 1GB OC edition is US$299.

Radeon HD 4750 and 4770 is 40nm based and we already have seen a preview of it. Price of HD 4750 is expected to be around US$99 while HD 4770 is priced at around US$119. Apparently, the yield is so good that AMD decided to pull in from May to early April release to give GeForce GTS 240 and 9600 GT a run for its money.

Link : http://vr-zone.com/articles/radeon-hd-4890-rv790--hd-4770-rv740-launch-on-apr-6th/6664.html?doc=6664

Zyzyxxz

VictimOfGrief said:
Maybe lower. I would suggest that people wanting to buy or upgrade their cards to hold off a few more weeks now.

Damn what lame timing, I bought my XFX 4870 512mb for $200, now I could get two 4750's and crossfire for the same price!

Here is my new behemoth

sorry for the shakiness, my camera is old.

Table turned computer desk
9h0rqs.jpg

Innards
e6wphy.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
Zyzyxxz said:
Damn what lame timing, I bought my XFX 4870 512mb for $200, now I could get two 4750's and crossfire for the same price!

You don't have any price-matching policies where you ordered? I know a lot of places (such as amazon) will match any price drops for up to 30 days after your purchase. I've actually saved quite a bit through amazon having them retroactively apply discounts :D

Are the DX11 cards still slated for Q3?

Minsc said:
You don't have any price-matching policies where you ordered? I know a lot of places (such as amazon) will match any price drops for up to 30 days after your purchase. I've actually saved quite a bit through amazon having them retroactively apply discounts :D

Seem to be yes. I would say though that DX11 won't really be popping up in games till vary end of Q4/ Q1/Q2 of 2010 at the earliest though.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ok GAF what say you which is the better notebook deal:

Asus N81Vp-C1
* Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 (2.66GHz, 1066MHz, 6MB Cache)
* 4GB DDR2 memory
* Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit, SP1)
* ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4650 (1GB GDDR3)
* 14.1 WXGA LED Glossy Display (16:9, 1366X768)
* DVDRW-SuperMulti
* 320GB hard drive (7200rpm)
* Atheros AR928x 802.11 a/b/g/n Wireless LAN with Bluetooth
* 90W (19V) Power Supply
* Battery: 6-cell
* Size: 13.5"(L) x 10.24 "(D) x 1.40" (varies) (H)
* Warranty: 2-year parts/labor + 1-year Accidental Damage + 30 days Zero Bright Dots
* MSRP: $1,299

Or

Gateway P-7805u FX Edition
* Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor1 P8400 (2.26GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2 Cache)
* Genuine Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit) with SP12
* Chassis with NVIDIA® GeForce® 9800M GTS Graphics with 1GB of GDDR3 Discrete Video Memory and Intel® PM45 Chipset
* 4096MB 1066MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory (2-2048MB modules)
* 17" High-Definition Widescreen WXGA+ Display (1440 x 900)
* 320GB 7200RPM SATA hard drive6
* 9-Cell Lithium Ion 86.58 Whr (2.6AHr)
* 1.3"-1.70" (H) x 15.75" (W) x 11.75" (D) or 33-43mm (H) x 400mm (W) x 298mm (D)
* Intel® WiFi Link 5100AGN 802.11a/g/Draft-N Wireless LAN
* MSRP: $1,299

Or should I book looking at another notebook altogether. I want something under or at least close to 1,500 that will be a capable gaming system for the next three or so years since Im going to be moving around a lot and wont be able to have a good desktop setup for a while.

Zyzyxxz

wait for the new Asus laptops with ATI 4850M those will be good for gaming for quite soem time.

Minsc said:

It sucks I just passed the 30 day mark for returns, Newegg doesn't price match itself though. I wish it did.

Acid08

Banned
So I got a new laptop and it's alright spec wise, not great. Tried to play Fallout 3 on it, runs at like 10FPS on Low. Anyway so I go on that System Requirement Labs thing and it says I fail test on every game. On all the categories I pass but never the processor. I have an AMD Turion dual core processor. It's speced out at 2.00GHZ but the actual speed is 3.00GHZ(according to SRL). Anyway, so, what the fuck is up with that shit?

Also I'm playing the original Dawn of War (thinking of doing a lttp thread) and I'm wondering if there are any mods I could possibly add onto the game to make it look better. Also should I bother patching it if I'll only be playing the SP for a while?

Thanks PC-Gaf!

LowParry

How nerve racking. Case and PSU comes in tomorrow. I'm on the fence if I should put this all together or let my friend (who runs his own computer company) do it for me. Only things that I'm worried about is the paste you put on. If I put too much or too little. Scary shit. Then comes to the BIOS and placing the proper settings. More scary shit.

Zyzyxxz

Acid08 said:
So I got a new laptop and it's alright spec wise, not great. Tried to play Fallout 3 on it, runs at like 10FPS on Low. Anyway so I go on that System Requirement Labs thing and it says I fail test on every game. On all the categories I pass but never the processor. I have an AMD Turion dual core processor. It's speced out at 2.00GHZ but the actual speed is 3.00GHZ(according to SRL). Anyway, so, what the fuck is up with that shit?

Also I'm playing the original Dawn of War (thinking of doing a lttp thread) and I'm wondering if there are any mods I could possibly add onto the game to make it look better. Also should I bother patching it if I'll only be playing the SP for a while?

Thanks PC-Gaf!

what video processor does your laptop have?

Top Bottom