• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jan 2008 NPD Thread - HW Shortages + Spectacular SW

Does anyone think that the a portion of the PS3 numbers can be attributed to Blu-Ray's emergence as the next-gen format?

Also, does anyone know what Uncharted and Ratchet put up this month?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Z3F said:
Looks like the PS3's price cut is making a difference. Maybe this month will be enough to prompt MS into another price cut. Making the 360/PS3 more affordable is good news for true gamers who don't want the WII to dominate.

Care to explain ? What is a true gamer ?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sonycowboy is so mean :lol :lol just throw us a bone on NMH please

Kittonwy

Banned
h3ro said:
Why do I get the feeling that we're going to be getting R2 sooner rather than later... Insomniac am AFW!!!

I hope they show the game off soon.
gladtomeetya.gif

JB1981

little curious that they don't mention KZ2 as an exclusive title in that PR.

2009 release confirmed?

KZ2, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Team Ico game, Final Fantasy

:eek:

botticus

MaX_PL said:
how is that mean wii software > xbox 360 software?
Because they're almost exactly even assuming $60 and $50. It's entirely possible that cheap catalog 360 sales will contribute enough volume to balance out cheaper Wii titles, but let's just say it could go either way.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Kestastrophe said:
Does anyone think that the a portion of the PS3 numbers can be attributed to Blu-Ray's emergence as the next-gen format?

Also, does anyone know what Uncharted and Ratchet put up this month?

Yes, no doubt that having a Bluray drive did help the sales. Specially after all the hddvd is doomed etc.

pgtl_10

Sorry everyone. NMH 100k+ sales numbers come from the cursed site so they aren't real.

GetCube finally answered my request.

Dante

JB1981 said:
little curious that they don't mention KZ2 as an exclusive title in that PR.

2009 release confirmed?

KZ2, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Team Ico game, Final Fantasy

:eek:

I think he was trying to diversify the short list he had there. Over the past couple months I'd say R2 moved to the front of the line as far as the premeire FPS on the Triple.

Scooter

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Given the installed bases, I'd say that that's great news for PS3, and the same for Wii and 360. ($16.94 for each 360, $17.13 for each Wii, and $22.78 for each PS3 - using rounded HW numbers)

:O

Dunlop

I don't get the hardware constraint argument, the fact is because there were Wii/360 shortages some people purchased a PS3. These same people will probably no longer buy a Wii/360 so it is a customer lost to Nintendo/MS

(I don't even own a 360, but give them some credit people)

edit: err i don't own a PS3, I do have a 360...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
pgtl_10 said:
Sorry everyone. NMH 100k+ sales numbers come from the cursed site so they aren't real.

GetCube finally answered my request.

GRRRRRRRRRRR

Arthas

Banned
Fredescu said:
Here's a quick test. Do you like Wii Sports? If no, true gamer. If yes, non-gamer, casual-gamer, or nintard.

So am I some kind of hybrid? Considering I play hardcore pc turnbased strategy games that take 4 hours per turn, like operational art of war, and I also dig wii sports?

I must be some kind of hybrid. An untrue true gamer.

Z3F

Banned
vanguardian1 said:
What about true games who DO want the Wii to dominate? :D

You're not a true gamer if you want the WII to win. I'm still a huge Nintendo fan. I just want them to go back to making real videogames.

Narcosis

Fredescu said:
Here's a quick test. Do you like Wii Sports? If no, true gamer. If yes, non-gamer, casual-gamer, or nintard.

What about if you've only played wii Sports with a friend during a drinking session? A heavy drinking session...

botticus said:
Because they're almost exactly even assuming $60 and $50. It's entirely possible that cheap catalog 360 sales will contribute enough volume to balance out cheaper Wii titles, but let's just say it could go either way.
No, they're not even. Check sonycowboy's numbers from last page. . .
sonycowboy said:
Given the installed bases, I'd say that that's great news for PS3, and the same for Wii and 360. ($16.94 for each 360, $17.13 for each Wii, and $22.78 for each PS3 - using rounded HW numbers)
. . .and then correct for the average price difference of Wii games, and you get:

Software sales per console, January:
PS3: $22.78
Wii: $20.56
360: $16.94

CTLance

I'd be interested in Endless Ocean numbers, too.

Nice showing for Sony. Abysmal as always for Nintendo.
I'm kidding of course!

MS really shot themselves in the foot with the shortages. It's nothing serious, but I think it's a psychological victory for Sony, something MS very likely tried to avoid. "Der Lack ist ab", the air of invincibility is gone.

If I were at Nintendo or MS right now I'd be furiously praying for better supply.

And pretty OT, but... whatever. In light of the Smash Bros Brawl problems with some Wiis in Japan I thought this expertly shopped comic strip kinda makes sense. Funny how history repeats itself.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Z3F said:
You're not a true gamer if you want the WII to win. I'm still a huge Nintendo fan. I just want them to go back to making real videogames.

They never stopped, for your information. :)

I'm a true gamer and I don't give a fuck who wins as long as the industry is doing well, which it is.

The games will come no matter whose name is on the console.

Wollan

Strong rumors in the Blu-ray/HD-DVD thread (in ot) now that Toshiba themselves are bailing out in mere weeks. That could prove really good for PS3 numbers in months ahead.

Fredescu said:

"True gamers" don't care for such trivial categories as "non-gamer, casual gamer, or nintard."

besada said:
I thought the 360 fans were the ones supposed to be freaking out and spinning conspiracies.

Weird that even when Sony comes out on top, the Sony fans go into defensive mode. They are sales thread noobs so they don't know what to do with themselves, they been out of the NPD game for so long it's like they are seeing a boob for the first time.

Fredescu

Arthas said:
So am I some kind of hybrid? Considering I play hardcore pc turnbased strategy games that take 4 hours per turn, like operational art of war, and I also dig wii sports?
We're talking about message board categorisations, so the negative is always the overiding factor. There are no hybrids. You are not a real gamer.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Hahah, you guys and your numbers.

I just bought a PS3 for the Blu Ray player. My father, who doesn't game AT ALL, just bought one too.

PS3 is very attractive. Especially for me since I'm a gamer, but even non gamers are buying them. Now that Blu Ray has pretty much won that is. I always said I would not invest until there was a winner, and Blu Ray winning helped me get a PS3 (wife approval was a huge factor as well).

Grecco

Z3F said:

Your going to be popular here kid.

Top Bottom