• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jan 2008 NPD Thread - HW Shortages + Spectacular SW

Kittonwy

Banned
watership said:
There is an island in Second Life for people like you.

I don't play games on my PC.
gladtomeetya.gif

Z3F said:
You're not a true gamer if you want the WII to win. I'm still a huge Nintendo fan. I just want them to go back to making real videogames.

You're not a true gamer is you believe such bullshit.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Sony needs to keep hacking away at the price as the production costs come down. It should sell even better from here on on out unless they do something incredibly stupid (again).

Call of Duty 4 is a monster. I wish they'd just let Infinity Ward develop releases for every other year instead of following a great game up with a turd sequel this fall.

Z3F

Banned
Acutally, fuck it. I want the WII to go back to dominating by a huge margin just so that we don't have to read so many Kittonwy posts.

Arthas

Banned
Z3F said:
You're not a true gamer if you want the WII to win. I'm still a huge Nintendo fan. I just want them to go back to making real videogames.

Mario galaxy? MP3? Twilight Princess? Sams Bros? Oh thats right, if its on teH wii itz teH CAZUALS!!!!!!
2h4x8nn.jpg

kay

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm a true gamer and I don't give a fuck who wins as long as the industry is doing well, which it is.

The games will come no matter whose name is on the console.
Too much sense in this post

Get out.

Arthas said:
Mario galaxy? MP3? Twilight Princess? Oh thats right, if its on teH wii itz teH CAZUALS!!!!!!
http://i32.tinypic.com/2h4x8nn.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Yeah, you too.

Remy

Leondexter said:
You're over-simplifying. Not all Wii games have "waggle", and some PS3 and even X360games have it.

What?

So before you make such a claim, I want to see numbers for all software titles, sorted by waggle. Don't forget to leave Trauma Center and Fire Emblem off the waggle list, for example.

Did you not play the same Trauma Center as the rest of us?

And don't forget that Resistance: Fall of Man, Heavenly Sword, Guitar Hero and Rock Band all go on it.

I'm sorry, did you just equate "tilting the guitar" with "waggle"?

I knew these numbers would bring out the crazy, but man alive!

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Fredescu said:
We're talking about message board categorisations, so the negative is always the overiding factor. There are no hybrids. You are not a real gamer.

Sometimes I wish I had a sarcasm meter. :(

Dante

OldJadedGamer said:
Weird that even when Sony comes out on top, the Sony fans go into defensive mode. They are sales thread noobs so they don't know what to do with themselves, they been out of the NPD game for so long it's like they are seeing a boob for the first time.

1 year does not erase 2 generations of experience :)

OldJadedGamer said:
Weird that even when Sony comes out on top, the Sony fans go into defensive mode. They are sales thread noobs so they don't know what to do with themselves, they been out of the NPD game for so long it's like they are seeing a boob for the first time.
facepalm.gif

Have you even been reading this thread?

Wow, PS3 almost 30% more than expected!

Very good, Sony.

Also, 11% more than January 2007. Great.

It seems the months of <100k for the PS3 are finally over :D

Where´s that gif BTW?

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
17 fucking pages? I didnt read past the OP, but Ill take a whild guess and say its 17 pages of OMFG Wii FAD IS OVER I KNEW IT, which of course seems much more likely than the logical fact that the PS3 was the only system that was in steady supply for the month. Drama queens.

No worries, everything will be normal again next month.

legend166

Wii must have been close to outselling the 360 in software again.

159 million at $60 a game = 2 650 000

131 million at $50 a game = 2 620 000

Of course, you've got Rockband sitting at $180 selling 180k copies. But Wii's got quite a few budget priced games, so they probably cancel out.

But still, the "casual Wii gamers don't buy games!" meme is continuing to be shown that it's retarded.

Sean

Banned
ZealousD said:
It's going to go down in February. Cancellation of 80GB model will affect sales.

I think just the opposite actually. People are rushing out to buy a 80gb before it's gone, it should give a short-term boost to PS3.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Slurpy said:
17 fucking pages? I didnt read past the OP, but Ill take a whild guess and say its 17 pages of OMFG Wii FAD IS OVER I KNEW IT, which of course seems much more likely than the logical fact that the PS3 was the only system that was in steady supply for the month. Drama queens.

Not really. It's mostly a 360 v. PS3 war right now.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
J-GAFFERS, what does 2-ch think about this? :lol

Sean said:
I think just the opposite actually. People are rushing out to buy a 80gb before it's gone.

They're already gone. They were all bought out in January.

Dragon

Banned
Slurpy said:

Nah more on the 360/PS3 than the Wii stuff. Everyone kinda figures the Wii was supply constrained because it's such a beast.

WinFonda

OldJadedGamer said:
lemon1.jpg

laserbeam

Banned
Slurpy said:

You are a visionary. Knew 16 pages of posts without reading past the op. :D

Threi said:
Ok i can't take any more of reading this stupidity.

When real NMH numbers come out someone PM me.

I'm out.
Oh come on. Just relax and enjoy the ride. Retarded posts + funny gifs = best part of NPD-day.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Kestastrophe said:
Does anyone think that the a portion of the PS3 numbers can be attributed to Blu-Ray's emergence as the next-gen format? Also, does anyone know what Uncharted and Ratchet put up this month?

I sold my HD-DVD player on Ebay and bought a PS3 the same day as the Warner announcement. Have gotten 6 Blu-Ray Movies and Zero PS3 games so far.

voltron

This is definitely encouraging news for Sony but it really is way too early in the piece to be having the sorts of conversations and making the type of statements that were seeing in this thread. Who knows... maybe this 360 shortage will actually be the cause of PS3 outselling 360 this year. If this shortage lasts for more than a couple of months its a very real possibility that Microsoft may lose a lot of customers to Sony. Considering how strong Sonys year is looking right now isnt the best time for Microsoft to be having shortages.

But as I said its way too soon to deduce anything from these number. The next two months will tell the story.

smurfx

get some go again
Microsoft

2n06m81.gif

sony

2rmtoiu.gif

how can some of you tell sony fans to not celebrate when this may not even happen again this year? i say celebrate as much as you can. btw any numbers on ratchet and uncharted?

Das-J

Law of the West
Power of the PlayStation Portfolio
According to NPD January 2008 sales data, the PlayStation brand generated the most U.S. retail dollars in the industry with $486 million, 25% higher than Nintendo and 61% higher than Microsoft.

o The PlayStation brand was #1 in both hardware and software in January.
o The PlayStation brand sold more hardware units than Nintendo and Microsoft combined (764K versus 530K and 230K, respectively).
o PlayStation total hardware revenue was $196 million in January; surpassing the total hardware revenue of Microsoft and Nintendo combined.
o PlayStation total software revenue in January was $224 million, 38% higher than Microsoft.

Dayum... Tretton laying the smack down! :lol

_Alkaline_ said:
I'm going insane here! Can someone please give us NMH numbers!!??

I don't think we've had any numbers bar the Top 10 at the moment.

I hope when I wake up in the morning there is a smattering of stuff from outside the Top 10, NMH, Burnout PS3 etc...

Odysseus

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
I'm going insane here! Can someone please give us NMH numbers!!??

it's doubtful

people can't just give out numbers unless they're released via a reputable source. maybe driley will drop in and reveal it.

dabig2

I've never seen so many "Bu..bu.bu.buuu.buuuuuut" and bitter tears before :lol

Good for Sony. Hope they continue their worldwide momentum. Now give us some games and info on your future endeavors!

smurfx said:
how can some of you tell sony fans to not celebrate when this may not even happen again this year? i say celebrate as much as you can. btw any numbers on rachet and uncharted?
Oh it'll happen again,
MGS4

Top Bottom