• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jan 2008 NPD Thread - HW Shortages + Spectacular SW

WrikaWrek

Banned
Kestastrophe said:
I have a feeling that Shawn Elliot will only deal with a finite amount of Mangod bullshit

Oh, as if. All dante wants to hear is the voice of the Sony fanboys champion, they want to hear the war cry and feel whole once again, like they have a purpose, like they have meaning!!!!

Dante is awesome, and Shane is a man god. And NGai is going to trash the 360 to death tomorrow.

It's gonna be a good podcast.

Odysseus said:
it's doubtful

people can't just give out numbers unless they're released via a reputable source. maybe driley will drop in and reveal it.

I was hoping someone with the numbers would be able to post them in this thread, but it's looking unlikely at this stage.

Matt C might give us some numbers in tomorrow's Wiik-in-Review, he's done that a few times now.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
The 360 Software number is the real winner here.

360 839,000
PS3 140,000

DeadGzuz

Banned
From MS's PR.

* $159 million was spent on Xbox 360 games alone in January compared to $131 million on Wii and $80 million for PS3. (U.S. NPD, January)

Install bases in US

360 - ~9.31m
PS3 - ~3.52m

Math:

9.31/3.52 = 2.65

2.65 * $80m = $212m

So it seems these BD watching non-hardcore PS3 owners do buy games. Anyone care to spin this?

Woo-Fu

Banned
h3ro said:
Woo-Fu, back me up on Burnout! Tell everyone how awesome it is!

Burnout Paradise is awesome until you hit 101% completion, at which point most of the awesome has been squeezed out of it. Even having reached that point, I think the awesome/$ ratio was really high. :)

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
:lol

Sony sells a decent to low number of PS3's with a ton on the shelves and they are back.

I love this place.

Shepherd said:

360 839,000
PS3 140,000
Huh? How can that be real, considering the total revenue of software sales per platform? Are your numbers only top10?

Mooreberg said:
Call of Duty 4 is a monster. I wish they'd just let Infinity Ward develop releases for every other year instead of following a great game up with a turd sequel this fall.
That's exactly what they're doing. Call of Duty 5 will be out this year, but developed by Treyarch. Infinity Ward's followup (whether CoD 6 or something else) won't be for a while longer.

Dante

Cooter said:

Sony sells a decent to low number of PS3's with a ton on the shelves and they are back.

I love this place.

The PlayStation brand sold more hardware units than Nintendo and Microsoft combined (764K versus 530K and 230K, respectively).

BOOM!

laserbeam

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
From MS's PR.

Install bases in US

360 - ~9.31m
PS3 - ~3.52m

Math:

9.31/3.52 = 2.65

2.65 * $80m = $212m

So it seems these BD watching non-hardcore PS3 owners do buy games. Anyone care to spin this?

$80,000,000 spent on Software at the average $60 price tag would be 1.3 Million units of software sold.

I dont see what your trying to say. Its obvious Ps3 as a platform does not sell games in the quantity either of its competitors do. You cant pull numbers out of your ass and say if the userbase was the same they would magically sell better

DeadGzuz

Banned
Souldriver said:
Huh? How can that be real, considering the total revenue of software sales per platform? Are your numbers only top10?

Yes, we only know the top ten, so he is cropping all but one PS3 game for his "proof".

Souldriver said:

Looks like the entire US only bought CoD4 last month for PS3. No other games sold a single unit.

I said last month that the PS3's closest rival had hit a wall and that the PS3 was gaining steam.
Today's released NPD numbers prove my observations correct. Numbers don't lie.
PS3 just gained 2million units over its closest rival in the months of DEC + JAN. (WORLD WIDE)
Sony. FUCK YEAH!

Grecco

Cooter said:

I love this place.

Sony is back. Come pet the cat

(Anyways sitll waiting on NMH numbers)

Wasn't Burnout released the last week of January?

Yes January 22nd.

Your point?

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Souldriver said:

Numbers are from the OP.

xaosslug

Arthas said:
Oh ok here you go:
2142gjl.jpg

you should resize you org. pic to something a little more 56k friendly. It's making my laptop freeze-up and I'm on DSL. It's not witty enough to warrant the unwanted slowdown.

Souldriver said:
Yes they are.
Kestastrophe said:
Does anyone have any idea what the LTDs are on COD4 360? Does everyone who owns a 360 have this game yet?
About 3.4 million, I think? So no, not even close.
Jonsoncao said:
where is PS3 Burnout?
Probably around 60-70k, so not in the Top 10. Probably selling better (given the base) than the 360 version.

Odysseus

Banned
Shepherd said:

360 839,000
PS3 140,000

again with the software bit?

check the dollars revealed earlier. sony did better per ps3 than microsoft did per 360. spin it one way, spin it another.

people. no need to be so defensive. most reasonable people know 360s were in short supply, but most reasonable people should also be able to see ps3 had a good month. just let it be what it is. you don't have to believe this is the start of some year long trend or anything, that will all be revealed in the months ahead.

Fredescu

vanguardian1 said:
Sometimes I wish I had a sarcasm meter. :(
It's not sarcasm. It's a true indication of what a lot of people think. Take Amir0x, who thinks people who like Wii Sports are "retards". I'm just helping people understand their respective categories. I'm definitely not a true gamer in those peoples eyes.

h3ro

Grecco said:
Your point?

Point being that the reason the numbers aren't that high for Burnout Paradise is that the game was only released ten days before the end of the month! Its pretty astonishing that it still showed up in the top ten list. I'm sure the PS3 version wasn't too far behind either!

TheBranca18 said:
Selective reading at its finest.
Well, look at dante's post below yours. There are people suggesting what Cooter says. BUT the vast majority of Sony fans are just happy their console of choice does well, nothing more nothing less. It's just that posts like the one from Cooter make Sony fans say "bitter tears", while these posts in turn provoke posts like "delusional sony fans". In the end it's all bitch fighting, while everybody essentially agrees: decent PS3 sales, other sales lower than expected cause of shortages.

Top Bottom