• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jan 2008 NPD Thread - HW Shortages + Spectacular SW

Saerk

360 ROCK BAND SPECIAL ED BUNDLE MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS NOV 2007 TEEN (T) 4 183.8K

360 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ WIREACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 5 182.7K

Looks like everyone who bought Rock Band went and said, "I need another guitar, lets get GH3."

I have a feeling that February is going to look very similar to this. From what the Neogaf retail types have been saying, they haven't had many 360s in this month either.

Still very strange, and I wonder what MS are doing.

C4Lukins

Saerk said:
360 ROCK BAND SPECIAL ED BUNDLE MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS NOV 2007 TEEN (T) 4 183.8K

360 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ WIREACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 5 182.7K

Looks like everyone who bought Rock Band went and said, "I need another guitar, lets get GH3."

Not everyone. Just most.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Saerk said:

Looks like everyone who bought Rock Band went and said, "I need a guitar that doesn't suck, lets get GH3."

Fix'd

Wow COD4 is a beast, 3 months at #1. Also impressive jump for Rock Band (360). I wouldn't be suprised to see this game sell more as the months progress and as word of mouth spreads.

Nice to see the PS3 gain some ground for once. Now lets see if it can continue.

Classic_Gs said:
Wow COD4 is a beast, 3 months at #1. Also impressive jump for Rock Band (360).

I bet alot of people, like myself, are waiting for the separate drums because they don't want the shitty Rock Band guitar.

Spotless Mind said:
OMG i am literally in shivers. This is so AMAZING! I have been saying from the beginning that 2008 would be Sony's comeback year. I am so bloody giddy right now, omg Sony WINS. :D :D :D
a little too invested in this format war are we? :lol
h3ro said:
Woo-Fu, back me up on Burnout! Tell everyone how awesome it is!
it's the only game I've played other than small bouts of Everyday Shooter since it was released (helps that my Rock band guitar is still broken, I guess). It is awesome, I just wish I could play with headphones on and online as I like the way the game sounds with my headphones.
WrikaWrek said:
True.

12 rounds, 11 to go, Ps3 in the lead.

Here's a quick recap of the winning blow from round 1:

s4qo37.gif

It's amazing john, MS came short on the kick and Sony went dick first, this could be the beginning of a long night
:lol where's that from?

Spotless Mind said:
OMG i am literally in shivers. This is so AMAZING! I have been saying from the beginning that 2008 would be Sony's comeback year. I am so bloody giddy right now, omg Sony WINS. :D :D :D
:lol :lol :lol

Why are you guys doing this to yourselves?

Tutomos

PhoenixDark said:
The 360 will outsell the PS3 more months this year, yes. But I'm not betting on it. There's nothing in it for me.

The PS3 is going to have a great year, but so will the 360.

Looks like everybody is smart enough to not bet with people that act like they've got nothingt to lose.

spwolf

PARANO1A said:
So is the shortage problem solved, or will Feb be a similar situation?

looking at in stock Pro bundle at Amazong, sitting at very low #35 place, I think Feb will be worse.

If it was trully nationwide shortage of product in demand, people would snap them online and yet it is not happening. Unlike Wii at #1and 80 GB at 7th place.

I think real question is why is 360 out of stock in some stores? It had good december and not so great January - why is it out of stock? Did they expect 150k of sales in January?

And how many Wii's did Nintendo produce in December? 800k? Where are those huge stocks of Wii that they have been building up for months?

Sean

Banned
PARANO1A said:
So is the shortage problem solved, or will Feb be a similar situation?

They've said it will continue throughout February and they hope to have it resolved by Spring. IMO there is definitely something going on, I think they are stockpiling 360's for March/April - I bet there is a price cut right before GTA IV.

Wowhawk

Banned
scoobs said:
Woh dude, your store is sold out, this clearly leads to the conclusion that all stores in America are sold out.

lol, it's funny because the 360 is in stock in allot of online stores? i dunno :/

WrikaWrek

Banned
spwolf said:
looking at in stock Pro bundle at Amazong, sitting at very low #35 place, I think Feb will be worse.

If it was trully nationwide shortage of product in demand, people would snap them online and yet it is not happening. Unlike Wii at #1and 80 GB at 7th place.

I think real question is why is 360 out of stock in some stores? It had good december and not so great January - why is it out of stock? Did they expect 150k of sales in January?

And how many Wii's did Nintendo produce in December? 800k? Where are those huge stocks of Wii that they have been building up for months?

So what's your theory?

Mar

Good stuff from Sony. I want to see the PS3 kick some 360 ass for a few months. It might force Microsoft to lower the price and make the damn thing reliable.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Liabe Brave said:
That's exactly what they're doing. Call of Duty 5 will be out this year, but developed by Treyarch. Infinity Ward's followup (whether CoD 6 or something else) won't be for a while longer.

I know. I thought I also heard somewhere they're going back to WW2 for COD5. Ugh.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
What if GTA IV came out last year as planned? How bad would this "shortage" have been since they say they didn't plan the demand to be as high as it was starting as far back as last November. This all seems very dumb, even for MS.

What does Sony "winning" do for anyone? The PS3 will be around for a long while with plenty of games. The same applies to the 360.

Is everyone that poor that they cannot just pick up each console and enjoy the games for both? There is no rule that says two or three consoles cannot exist together.

The Sony fans really came out in force in this thread. You guys put Nintendo fans to shame :lol

KTallguy

Banned
Speevy said:
Call me reckless, but I'll bet all your accounts.

:lol

The best thing about this thread, right here :)

I'm happy the PS3 is doing well, as I'd like to see more quality software on the platform. 2008 is going to be one amazing year. I can't wait for MGS4, fuck.

Wowhawk said:
lol, it's funny because the 360 is in stock in allot of online stores? i dunno :/
Your dreaming man, This isn't the end of the xbox or the rise of the ps3. Don't kid yourself of believing that, its for your own good. :/

Innotech

Banned
spwolf said:

they sold it all. and rainchecked the remainder. whatever is made now is either sold on the spot or saved until Brawl releases probably. Im kind of glad they didnt release it Feb 10th. they would have had such a ridiculously bad stock shortage it would have been downright ugly. I think Ninty would prefer to keep the violence IN Brawl instead of in the stores :lol

dabig2

FirstInHell said:
What does Sony "winning" do for anyone? The PS3 will be around for a long while with plenty of games. The same applies to the 360.

Is everyone that poor that they cannot just pick up each console and enjoy the games for both? There is no rule that says two or three consoles cannot exist together.

The Sony fans really came out in force in this thread. You guys put Nintendo fans to shame :lol

After a year's worth of endless photoshops, mockery, "the end is nigh after 1 year of bad" etc. Of course they came out!

For it to all balance out, we'd need 12 more of these kinds of results.

spwolf

topsyturvy said:
Your dreaming man, This isn't the end of the xbox or the rise of the ps3. Don't kid yourself of believing that, its for your own good. :/

yes, because GTAIV will save MS from Playstation train :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ivysaur12 said:
This is what I want to know.

They were not confirmed (dude got them from the banned site), and sonycowboy hasn't told us what the real numbers are

Innotech

Banned
dabig2 said:
After a year's worth of endless photoshops, mockery, "the end is nigh after 1 year of bad" etc. Of course they came out!

For it to all balance out, we'd need 12 more of these kinds of results.
after 2 gens of Sony domination, Sony could use a bit of humility. It certainly helped nintendo tremendously.

WrikaWrek

Banned
spwolf said:
yes, because GTAIV will save MS from Playstation train :lol

What train? And why won't GTA be good for MS, who the hell is Isupply, why are you alwats trying to measure sales by online shops when it has failed you in past months, and again what is your theory on this whole shortage issue.

Do you think 360 demand went down after an amazing christmas for no reason at all?

Draft said:
Run some water through that spin you just poked full of holes, and we've got a motherfucking sprinkler.

360 was available at every online site without fail for the month of January. So, I guess by your vitriol, you're now claiming shortage before, clear skies now.

Therefore the 360 should kick serious ass next month. Fine.

BTW,

What do people think the 360 would have sold if not for the retail shortages?
And do people think the PS3 was a replacement for folks who were looking for 360's?

vilmer_

At least we can all get along! PS fans and xbox fans, united as one. One gaming nation of fine men and women of all ages and colours.

Rolf NB

AceBandage said:
Really? Awesome.
I think it all started when AniHawk said they were somewhere below 133k which they are, because that's the minimum for entering the top 10, which NMH failed to do. However we have no idea how far below 133k it did.

The rest is good old communication failure. I got nothing. Don't quote me on that. Quote me on that.

Sydle

The 360 still has shortages. I expect February NPD to be similar to this NPD because of it, but there will be plenty who conveniently forget about it.

Top Bottom