• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jan 2008 NPD Thread - HW Shortages + Spectacular SW

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jive Turkey said:

They care about the total, not how much better software a might have done on console b IF console b had the same install base as console c

I'm talking software relative to install base

Speevy

Banned
I remember when Sony outsold Microsoft on a monthly basis worldwide.

Why, it was way back in July of 2007 the last time that happened. It's been a long road since then, and many things have changed.

TheBranca18 said:
Isn't the reporting period 4 weeks this year instead of 5 weeks like 2007 was for NPD?

Yes.

It's so sad that people can't be happy that all six platforms on the market had a strong month.

yoopoo said:
Thats seems bs. How can a no name game do that much with no promotion at all.

Maybe people mistook it for shovelware?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Pai Pai Master said:
Yes.

It's so sad that people can't be happy that all six platforms on the market had a strong month.

They all did? Wii, 360 and DS all fell behind expectations while PS3, PSP and PS2 met them (PS2 probably exceeded them actually)

Dont see how thats great for all 6 platforms

Avrum

NekoFever said:
Holy crap at the Sony brigade coming out of the woodwork. Jesus :lol

Lots of pent up frustration? :lol

If you log on to GAF today
You're sure of a big surprise.
If you log on to GAF today
You'd better go in disguise.

All Sony fans that ever there was
Will gather there for certain, because
Today's the day the Sony fans have their picnic.

And yeah, holy hell at PS3forums...you guys talking about momentum here? They're talking totally console war reversal there.

One month makes the difference my friends, one month makes the difference. :lol

JudgeN

Why do we have zero number for any games this NPD? Sony beats 360 and now no one wants to release numbers? Where burnout PS3, Uncharted, and NMH numbers so we all can go to bed.

Tmac

laserbeam said:
Its obvious Ps3 as a platform does not sell games in the quantity either of its competitors do. You cant pull numbers out of your ass and say if the userbase was the same they would magically sell better

Wth?

He was crystal clear.

Xbox 360 has a 164% bigger installed base

BUT

It sold only 64% more software

noticed the big but.. BUT...

Crazyorloco

Funny thread. Things should be back to normal next month.

confirmed NMH numbers would be great. Hope it did well.

Also, i don't think anyone mentioned Advance Wars Days of Ruin sales...

Mar

spwolf said:
we should all take an moment and reflect what hard road we had to take to finally come to this place.

And with learning from our previous mistakes, I just want to say that I hope that MS and Nintendo will manage to find ways to overcome their current issues and be back on paths of glory, if for anything, to spare us from collective suicides that will most certainly be coming next month if they do not manage to produce more consoles. Situation is dire, and I hope that Reggie is listening.

:D

Jesus dude. I thought you had made progress. You had started acting and talking like a normal guy for a while there. Now, well... You're back to Snah levels of insanity.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hey so... those No More Hero numbers...

did our hype work? Did we get a headcount of gaming industry saviors yet? (i.e., # of people who purchased this game)

fernoca

Bah..boring NPD thread.. :p
All consoles with less than 300k but over 200k...and the top 10 software all with over 130k...

Everything was too..same-ish..
"Oh but 'they' beat the 360.."..
Pfft..if it was for over 200k difference that would be shocking, but for 'that'??..nah..

Boring NPD month.. :p
No blood..no anything.. :p

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
John Harker said:
Hey so... those No More Hero numbers...

did our hype work? Did we get a headcount of gaming industry saviors yet? (i.e., # of people who purchased this game)

Not yet

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Arthas said:
?

Wii= 21 million

Ps3 = <9 million

Wii = winning

So in both cases the lower priced item has sold more. What exactly are you two arguing?

What the record for consecutive months at #1 ?

For hardware? PS2 outsold Xbox and GC every month until just before Halo 2 came out. NES had to have had an even longer run but I don't think anyone has monthly info from back then.

Well, hardware shortages or not, the PS3 still outsold the 360. No way anyone can spin those #'s at all. But anyone saying that it's a sign of things to come is simply being silly (or letting their meds effect their judgement). But we'll see how things go next month (or the month after that) as if the 360 gets beaten again (or essentially 2 out of 3 months), then it can signify a shift in sales momentum.

So, the DiatribeEQ recap on everyone's sales:

It's January. Everyone's sales sucks.

Wii: Sucked hardcore. WTF, it's the damn Wii. Where's the sales dudes? And if you *only* sold this amount all January, why the hell couldn't I find a unit for sale?

PS3: Solid #'s, not insanely great for a Post-Xmas sales, but solid, nonetheless.

360: Hardware Shortages or not, the PS3 still beat you. Incoming Hardware revision and/or Price Drop? Calling Bill Gates. Come in Mr. Gates!

PSP: Go Go Go! Sell baby sell! Nice #'s from the 'underdog'.

NDS: How.....do you....keep......selling?

PS2: I'm 100% convinced that virtually all current PS2 sales are that of people replacing dead or dying older PS2 models. You can't sell 130 million PS2s in the US and still expect me to believe that most of those are to "new" customers.

spwolf

HK-47 said:
They all did? Wii, 360 and DS all fell behind expectations while PS3, PSP and PS2 met them (PS2 probably exceeded them actually)

Dont see how thats great for all 6 platforms

actually, PS3 exceeded expectations by 30%.....

ZeoVGM

Banned
Okay, wow. 24 pages.

So fill me in, how many people are somehow taking this as Sony making a huge comeback and having an amazing month?

Because 360 was hard to find, Wii was hard to find, DS was hard to find. I don't believe PS3 was (and that's not me saying the PS3 didn't sell well, those are good numbers).

But anyone who tries to use this month's sales as a sign for ANY of the systems and whether or not they're gaining/losing popularity is a moron.

Seriously, anyone who tries to turn this into a "uh oh, Wii/360 losing popularity and Sony starting the BIG COMEBACK" needs to be shot.

Swifty

Wait, so the 360 has a shortage of consoles for the month of January and the PS3 outsells the 360 in one month, yet this is evidence that the PS3 wins second place in America? And everybody who points this out gets ridiculed with a barrage of animated GIFs suggesting that they're just spewing bitter tears?

I don't see how that's a clear indicator of what's to come in the future unless Microsoft continues to screw up through 2008 by failing to deliver on their shipments of 360s. The PS3 fans have reason to celebrate for January '08 but to claim that the war is over when Sony had won a firefight on temporary higher ground is a bit premature. All things weren't equal last month which is good for Sony but bad for understanding where the 360 truly stands for 2008. I'm not holding my breath for the 360, but some people need to calm down.

Arthas

Banned
omg rite said:
Okay, wow. 24 pages.

So fill me in, how many people are somehow taking this as Sony making a huge comeback and having an amazing month?

Because 360 was hard to find, Wii was hard to find, DS was hard to find. I don't believe PS3 was (and that's not me saying the PS3 didn't sell well, those are good numbers).

But anyone who tries to use this month's sales as a sign for ANY of the systems and whether or not they're gaining/losing popularity is a moron.

Seriously, anyone who tries to turn this into a "uh oh, Wii/360 losing popularity and Sony starting the BIG COMEBACK" needs to be shot.

You'll be doing much shooting then, the sonybabies have come out of the woodwork. Let them have their moment, because it won't last.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome news for the PS3. I intend to pick one up this year and it's nice to see things starting to turn around, shortages or not.

DuckRacer

DiatribeEQ said:
PS2: I'm 100% convinced that virtually all current PS2 sales are that of people replacing dead or dying older PS2 models. You can't sell 130 million PS2s in the US and still expect me to believe that most of those are to "new" customers.
Actually, that 130 million or so number accounts for worldwide sales. The US sales number is a hell of a lot smaller (but still massive relative to other systems).

Top Bottom