• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jan 2008 NPD Thread - HW Shortages + Spectacular SW

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Holy lol at all those Ninfans jumping on that one poster for suggesting that NMH be ported to PS2

Insecure much? :lol

Arthas

Banned
erlim said:
THis is like that one month PS3 outsold wii in japan, it will never hapen again.

This is different, the x360 is not looking terribly good worldwide, it's only a matter of time before it ends up scraping the bottom of the barrel in North America as well.

The ps3 is easily outselling it in japan, it seems to be starting it's lead in europe, and now north america.

It's only a matter of time before the battle for worldwide....SECOND PLACE....is decided. :lol

I predict that by the end of 2009, the xbox360 will effectively be dead worldwide, and it will be a two horse race, ps3 vs wii, and it will look just like the DS vs psp race, with wii way in the lead, but ps3 putting up a respectable fight.

The ps2 will finally die away with the xbox360 as game ports cease. Xbox360 was a still birthed system. It was all potential without substance, because it's mother was a crack addict, leading to far too many destiny altering defects.

Seriously, that stupid chart from those analysts that show the PS3 magically spiking in sales at the start of 2008 are actually on track. Someone post that graph please.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Arthas said:
This is different, the x360 is not looking terribly good worldwide, it's only a matter of time before it ends up scraping the bottom of the barrel in North America as well.

The ps3 is easily outselling it in japan, it seems to be starting it's lead in europe, and now north america.

It's only a matter of time before the battle for worldwide....SECOND PLACE....is decided. :lol

Irrelevant. DS will still be king. All others consoles can bow before it

Let me get this straight: the 360 suffers massive shortages, the PS3 barely manages to outsell it...and there are celebrations in the streets? SMH

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
PhoenixDark said:
Let me get this straight: the 360 suffers massive shortages, the PS3 barely manages to outsell it...and there are celebrations in the streets? SMH

PS3 fanboys = GC fanboys total

Doc Evils

PhoenixDark said:

yv62jw

Wowhawk

Banned
Arthas said:

onoz.gif

lol, i hope so!

Speevy

Banned
PhoenixDark said:

Yeah, and your point is? A victory is a victory.

*pisses on Microsoft's grave*

PhoenixDark said:

Thats exactly what M$oft wants you to believe. Um, yeah, PS3 hasn't ever sold this well in a non-holiday time except for last January. The 360 may be in shortages, but the PS3 is SELLING MORE THAN BEFORE.

Scooter

Banned
PhoenixDark said:

Massive shortages? The damage control keeps expanding! :lol

Tmac

Liara T'Soni said:
So I guess Sony can expect to outsell 360 by 39 k like 1000 times until they finally catch up in NA???

Please, this is hardly meltdown worthy, January is meaningless.

You realize that NA, HUGE, xbox sales advantage was what kept worldwide numbers even for 2007.

If the Ps3 matchs 360 sales in NA, and note that it doesnt even need to outsell it, the worldwide numbers will look pretty dark for 360.

Rhindle said:
PS3 sales are down year-over-year, after adjusting for the extra week, so not sure how you reach that conclusion. The other guys can at least hold up shortages as an excuse

...what? Down yoy ? Where? :lol

It´s 11% up from last January... even considering that last year´s january was a 5 week months and this year´s was a 4 week month...

Did ppl forget that last year ps3 was struggling to get to the 100k sales figure?

Tutomos

PhoenixDark said:

So the 360 should be able to outsell PS3 by March and the following months. I like bets. I bet that PS3 will have more months outselling the 360 this year according to NPD.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Arthas said:

I predict that by the end of 2009, the xbox360 will effectively be dead worldwide, and it will be a two horse race, ps3 vs wii, and it will look just like the DS vs psp race, with wii way in the lead, but ps3 putting up a respectable fight.

The ps2 will finally die away with the xbox360 as game ports cease. Xbox360 was a still birthed system. It was all potential without substance, because it's mother was a crack addict, leading to far too many destiny altering defects.

MissSouthCarolina.gif

Rhindle said:
PS3 sales are down year-over-year, after adjusting for the extra week, so not sure how you reach that conclusion.
Exactly the opposite. Last year's January was longer than this one; PS3 went up per week versus last year, 360 and Wii fell.

Tutomos said:
So the 360 should be able to outsell PS3 by March and the following months. I like bets. I bet that PS3 will have more months outselling the 360 this year according to NPD.

Who are you? I don't bet with people I don't know. Where's Hans

Mrbob

Rhindle said:
PS3 sales are down year-over-year, after adjusting for the extra week, so not sure how you reach that conclusion. The other guys can at least hold up shortages as an excuse

You might want to learn how to adjust the proper way. :p

It really must be bugging you that the PS3 defeated the 360 for a month. ;)

Arthas

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb185/collegelifer76/SFN%20Pics/MissSouthCarolina.gif

It's no secret that worldwide, the xbox360 is suffering in light of the competition. But truth hurts, I know.

If the ps3 can just keep up with it in north america (which it is starting to do) then all is finished for Microsoft's much vaunted 2nd place spot. It then officially becomes the losing console of this generation.

Rhindle

Mrbob said:
You might want to learn how to adjust the proper way. :p

It really must be bugging you that the PS3 defeated the 360 for a month. ;)
Well my post certainly generated a lot of reaction in the 10 seconds it was up.:lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
dr3upmushroom said:
I just think Nintendo dropped the ball with the marketing on this one. It's one of their main franchises yet I don't remember any real advertisements for it. Another factor that might have had an effect on its launch sells was that it came out a week after Bioshock, not good when you're game is mostly targeted towards hardcore gamers.

All Metroid games on average sell between 1 and 1.5 million. Corruption will be no different. Only Metroid and Prime sold more than 2 million with Metroid II adding if you move the bar to 1.5 and only Hunters and Pinball did not sell a million.

Arthas said:

fksh9f.jpg

spwolf

Insane Metal said:
...what? Down yoy ? Where? :lol

It´s 11% up from last January... even considering that last year´s january was a 5 week months and this year´s was a 4 week month...

Did ppl forget that last year ps3 was struggling to get to the 100k sales figure?

you dont understand how big 360 franchise GTAIV will increase 360 sales more than PS3's. :lol

Das-J

Law of the West
So I dropped by my local Best Buy on the way home just to check on their stock. Here is what I found:

Not a single 360 in the entire store:
2rxfih3.jpg

5 PS3's (All 40GB units)
b6u1q8.jpg

There wasn't a single Wii either but that comes as no surprise. Anyway, from my small sample of 1 out of 100,000+ Best Buy stores it appears that the supply constraints are indeed real, even if their impact remains in question.

Anyway, what I found most interesting was this:
21mal5e.jpg

I had no idea they were already shipping standalone peripherals for RB... pretty cool! :D

AppleMIX

Arthas said:
It's no secret that worldwide, the xbox360 is suffering in light of the competition. But truth hurts, I know.

If the ps3 can just keep up with it in north america (which it is starting to do) then all is finished for Microsoft's much vaunted 2nd place spot. It then officially becomes the losing console of this generation.

:lol

Guys, don't you know that one month of sales determines the sales for the entire console.

Seriously, though. Great PS3 numbers, but this is just getting ridiculous.

Tutomos said:
Come on, I propose a Perman-Ban bet.

The 360 will outsell the PS3 more months this year, yes. But I'm not betting on it. There's nothing in it for me.

The PS3 is going to have a great year, but so will the 360.

scoobs

Das-J said:
So I dropped by my local Best Buy on the way home just to check on their stock. Here is what I found:

Not a single 360 in the entire store:
2rxfih3.jpg

5 PS3's (All 40GB units)
b6u1q8.jpg

There wasn't a single Wii either but that comes as no surprise. Anyway, from my small sample of 1 out of 100,000+ Best Buy stores it appears that the supply constraints are indeed real, even if their impact remains in question.

Anyway, what I found most interesting was this:
21mal5e.jpg

I had no idea they were already shipping standalone peripherals for RB... pretty cool! :D

Woh dude, your store is sold out, this clearly leads to the conclusion that all stores in America are sold out.

tanod

when is my burrito
Das-J said:
So I dropped by my local Best Buy on the way home just to check on their stock.

I was at Best Buy tonight (before seeing the NPDs) and the only 360s I saw were Halo SKUs and the only PS3s were 40GB systems.

I also saw the Rock Band drumset for PS3. I can't wait until I can afford that game. Maybe someday.

So I basically saw the same thing + Halo SKUs.

Tmac

Arthas said:

If the ps3 can just keep up with it in north america (which it is starting to do) then all is finished for Microsoft's much vaunted 2nd place spot.

North America 2007 huge sales lead was what kept worldwide numbers even. If you remove NA lead, what you left with? A HUGE worldwide sales lead for PS3.

And thats not the only advantage. Theres something, maybe, even more important which is a console with a more evenly distributed sales worldwide, specially on the three most important game development areas (N.AMERICA, JAPAN, and EUROPE), will always have a broader and most important more diverse library.

Diversity is key, this is a IP market, not a comodity market. That key factor, people usually doesnt pay attention, but on long term this has a HUGE influence on outcome results.

Top Bottom