• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jan 2008 NPD Thread - HW Shortages + Spectacular SW

Stitch

Gold Member
lets sum this thread up:

91847ehbu54.gif

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Scooter said:
So first you post fake numbers then you backpedal and post a spin forgeting that 360 has triple the userbase. Nice.

Fake numbers? They are posted in the OP. Did you read the OP of the thread you are posting in?

laserbeam

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
Complete spin. We already know it was $159m 360, $80m PS3. Top 10 != all games sold in Jan. So you need a learning beat down, back to 8th grade math with you!

Ok then lets Break it down in non Spin form

Microsoft:
$159,000,000 = 2,650,000 Units of Software Minimum.
Depending what budget titles sold it could be alot more.

Nintendo:
$131,000,000 = 2,620,000 Units of Software Minimum.
Considering the Number of Budget titles. and only 709K units Sold in the top 10 theres potential for much higher software sales.

Sony:
80,000,000 = 1,333,333 Units of Software Minimum.
Considering the Lack of Budget titles the software sales are very likely accurate.

Doc Evils

laserbeam said:
Ok then lets Break it down in non Spin form

Microsoft:
$159,000,000 = 2,650,000 Units of Software Minimum.
Depending what budget titles sold it could be alot more.

Nintendo:
$131,000,000 = 2,620,000 Units of Software Minimum.
Considering the Number of Budget titles. and only 709K units Sold in the top 10 theres potential for much higher software sales.

Sony:
80,000,000 = 1,333,333 Units of Software Minimum.
Considering the Lack of Budget titles the software sales are very likely accurate.

What would the attach rate be for all three?

vexvegaz

h3ro said:
Woo-Fu, back me up on Burnout! Tell everyone how awesome it is!

BR is fuckin awesome. but as awesome as it is it has its flaws(no restart), like many other games out there, past and present.

e-gamer

This is a unique moment in PS3's lifespan...

Enjoy it

and I prefer to see MS spending a bit of that money they offered for Yahoo to buying exclusive games and investing in others...

e-gamer said:
I prefer to see MS spending a bit of that money they offered for Yahoo to buying exclusive games and investing in others...

They have let far too many opportunities slip through their fingers their fingers this generation

I agree with everyone and anyone that suggested that the reason for the PS3 increased in sales was the Warner Blu ray announcement in early January simply because there were no software that can make such a push for the PS3 during this month. If this is true then the number for Feb is gonna be interesting because Best Buy have just announced a few days ago that they will recommend their customers to buy Blu ray over HD DVD.

Oblivion said:
Holy shit, it's like a ghost town in here. :/

That's because we're waiting on some FREAKING NO MORE HEROES SALES CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL US SJSIDJASIOJDIOJDODASDBADODOJOALDASDS!!!!!!%^#%

laserbeam

Banned
Doc Evils said:
What would the attach rate be for all three?

Nintendo for the Month on the Minimums Would have 9.56 Software Sales per Console Sold
Microsoft for the Month on the Minimums Would have 11.5 Software Sales per Console Sold
Sony for the Month on the Minimums Would have 4.9 Software Sales per Console Sold

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Raw64life said:
Not much, but everything not listed in the OP so far...

January 08:

WII RESIDENT EVIL: UMBRELLA CHRONICLES - ~30K
WII CARNIVAL GAMES - ~80K

Rough LTDs:

WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE - ~4.4 million
WII SUPER MARIO GALAXY - ~2.7 million
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~1.5 million
WII CARNIVAL GAMES - ~655K
WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION - ~625K
WII RESIDENT EVIL: UMBRELLA CHRONICLES - ~300K

360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE - ~3.3 million
360 ROCK BAND - ~960K

PS3 CALL OF DUTY 4 - ~1.1 million

FIRE EMBLEM --- ????

Someone fill in the blank for me

sleeping_dragon said:
I agree with everyone and anyone that suggested that the reason for the PS3 increased in sales was the Warner Blu ray announcement in early January simply because there were no software that can make such a push for the PS3 during this month.

I concur with this analysis

Scooter

Banned
laserbeam said:
Nintendo for the Month on the Minimums Would have 9.56 Software Sales per Console Sold
Microsoft for the Month on the Minimums Would have 11.5 Software Sales per Console Sold
Sony for the Month on the Minimums Would have 4.9 Software Sales per Console Sold

You fail at math unless you're only counting this month's hardware sales which is all kinds of wrong.

laserbeam

Banned
Scooter said:
You fail at math unless you're only counting this month's hardware sales which is all kinds of wrong.

The Month Of January. He asked me for tie ratio based on the January numbers I was using. Its obvious Every gamer didn't buy 5,9 or even 11 games per system sold but thats the numbers for Jan.

WrikaWrek said:
How is this good for 360 and Wii exactly?

Well It can be argued that the 360 Continues to dominate the Software land which in turn guarantees Developer Support.

The Wii was in a state of no where to be seen and still managed to barely squeak out a victory. When Wii and DS supply normalize to can be found if you camp the store status I imagine it wont be so close

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Slavik81 said:
Holy shit.
I clearly have no idea what's going on in the US right now. This is madness...
This thread is like the calm before the storm:lol NExt month's in gonna erupt. Thats what happenin in the US

jonabbey

sleeping_dragon said:
I agree with everyone and anyone that suggested that the reason for the PS3 increased in sales was the Warner Blu ray announcement in early January simply because there were no software that can make such a push for the PS3 during this month. If this is true then the number for Feb is gonna be interesting because Best Buy have just announced a few days ago that they will recommend their customers to buy Blu ray over HD DVD.

Yup. I suspect the overall software numbers for PS3 vs. 360 would be a lot closer (if not over the top for Sony) if Blu-Ray movies were totted up for Sony.

Still and all, nice job Sony.

Now, how's about some more firmware updates?

Rhindle

I'll toss these in:

Updated LTD Tie Ratios

X360: 7.09
Wii: 4.85
PS3: 4.33

All are up slightly over last month. PS3 got the smallest increase, but it is still up over last month. So, not much evidence of people rushing out to buy PS3s as Blueray players.

Pimpbaa

shintoki said:
This thread is like the calm before the storm:lol NExt month's in gonna erupt. Thats what happenin in the US

It's gonna be business as usual next month. Because we all knew beforehand of shortages, right?

Scooter

Banned
laserbeam said:
The Month Of January. He asked me for tie ratio based on the January numbers I was using. Its obvious Every gamer didn't buy 5,9 or even 11 games per system sold but thats the numbers for Jan.

When someone asks you tie ratio for the month you compare it to the entire userbase not just that month's hardware numbers. There's a logic to that. The entire userbase is buying games not just that month's hardware buyers.

Think about it.

Rhindle said:
I'll toss these in:

Updated LTD Tie Ratios

X360: 7.09
Wii: 4.85
PS3: 4.33

All are up slightly over last month. PS3 got the smallest increase, but it is still up over last month. So, not much evidence of people rushing out to buy PS3s as Blueray players.

This is...? In america?

Wait, PS3 and Wii almost the same sales? And 360 less than double than PS3 and Wii? Is that right?

JudgeN

Pimpbaa said:
It's gonna be business as usual next month. Because we all knew beforehand of shortages, right?

The shortages are still around though, even still we still don't know if that had even made a difference.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Doc Evils said:
Didn't you say the 360 outsold the PS3 this january?
Eh, I didn't think the 360 was THAT constricted.

It entirely ate through its PS3 lead cushion. :)

voltron

shintoki said:

lol

Neogaf: The only place where a storm precedes a storm, and calm doesnt get a look in.

Remy said:
Did you not play the same Trauma Center as the rest of us?

I'm sorry, did you just equate "tilting the guitar" with "waggle"?

I knew these numbers would bring out the crazy, but man alive!

I just equated "tilt" with "tilt". Unless you'd like to concede that Excite Truck has no waggle.

And you just equated "pointer" with "waggle". Which would mean that every mouse-compatible PC game has waggle. Crazy indeed.

Rolf NB

Continuing an old hobby of mine:
Code:
August:    131K PS3, 277K XBox 360; PS3=0.47*XBox 360
September: 119K PS3, 528K XBox 360; PS3=0.225*XBox 360 
October:   121K PS3, 366K XBox 360; PS3=0.33*XBox 360
November:  466K PS3, 770K XBox 360; PS3=0.605*XBox 360
December:  797K PS3, 1m26 XBox 360; PS3=0.633*XBox 360     
January:   269K PS3, 230K XBox 360; PS3=1.170*XBox 360
Gaining a bit of marketshare each month is not unexpected, but this motion is quite extreme. That's surely a temporary blip.
I expect the streams to re-uncross for February, depending on how Microsoft's logistics problems sort themselves out, we should be seeing somewhere between 80% and parity in hardware sales. All bets are off for March, but here's a guess: GTA IV-gate will help the XBox 360 claw back some monthly hardware market share.

It's encouraging to see that CoD4 sales between the two platforms continue to scale with the install base size, indicating healthy attach rates for both. Do we have more software data, outside of the top 10? Did sonycowboy post anything yet?

Top Bottom