• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

zigg

GoutPatrol said:
I only played an hour, but this is such a fun game. Shame I have to wait 3 days to play it again.

Looking at the "tracking" status of my copy this morning, I'm guessing I'll have to wait at least three to play it at all. :D

sigh

upandaway said:
...Also, anyone else from Europe feels a bit screwed here? What the hell is with the US version getting an extra mode and boss? I don't need the extra month for that price.
Would've been nice to have it, but game's long enough for me anyways. No hard feelings really. LKS got released at the right time for me. If it had released later I'd probably couldn't have put in quality time for it with all these releases, my backlog and limited gaming time.

blu said:
not the first time PAL gets the interlaced end of the stick. those 576 lines prove one hell of an obstacle for many devs.
Eh, progressive is always 480 lines for Wii, even in PAL-land (unless of course I've been missing something).

Google

Phife Dawg said:
Would've been nice to have it, but game's long enough for me anyways. No hard feelings really. LKS got released at the right time for me. If it had released later I'd probably couldn't have put in quality time for it with all these releases, my backlog and limited gaming time.

Also, the UK often gets its fair share of goodies in games the rest of the world got first.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Game is on it's way from GameFly. I didn't even remember adding it to my queue. I probably saw this topic some weeks ago and added the game then, as a reminder. Imagine my surprise when an email came saying it was on it's way to me. :D

I looked up the review average and was surprised to see that it's THAT high. I was expecting a good game... not a GotY contender.

If I dig the game as much as I think I will (kingdom building, adventure, and RTS are my favorite genres) I'll be promptly returning the game to GameFly and buying a copy. Based on what I've seen so far, it's like someone dipped into my subconcious and made my dream game. :)

I finally killed that blasted Golden Frog.

My stradegy worked:

Take 8 troops, throw one after the first spray to get the Frog to start hopping.

Only then after it lands, do you wail on it from behind. Rinse and repeat, you should be able to throw without worry of it eating your troops. Finally managed to beat him without losing anyone.

GhaleonQ said:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4088/yoshiro_kimuras_strange_journeys.php Apparently, the imagined Chulip 2 will be a black kid from the Bronx kissing city folk. BLOCKBUSTER IN THE MAKING.

OMG! :lol

Edit: Spoilered the way the boss fights just in case.

upandaway

Looking at the interview, the game will tank. I can say that much easily, because even he believes that, and that's a confirmation there won't be much marketing at all.

Eteric Rice

The good news is that he wants to make a sequel!

The game is probably going to tank, unfortunately. Probably for the same reason that Zack & Wiki did. :(

Man, if I were rich, I'd open a company that advertises good games from small developers like this one. :(

upandaway

Eteric Rice said:
The good news is that he wants to make a sequel!

The game is probably going to tank, unfortunately. Probably for the same reason that Zack & Wiki did. :(

Man, if I were rich, I'd open a company that advertises good games from small developers like this one. :(
In other words, a publisher.

Oli

Is there any penalty for taking too long? I don't want to head off to the Onii King unprepared, so I've been treasure hunting and tax collecting to build funds for new buildings/jobs and stuff.

upandaway

Oli said:
Is there any penalty for taking too long? I don't want to head off to the Onii King unprepared, so I've been treasure hunting and tax collecting to build funds for new buildings/jobs and stuff.
No penalty for that.

But you should really just save and go for it. It's not that hard.

Edit: I'm not sure I like how I'm babysitting the thread. You guys should post more.

Oli

upandaway said:
No penalty for that.

But you should really just save and go for it. It's not that hard.

I suppose. Especially since I somehow managed to lose a citizen in my explorations... Stupid mushrooms ganged up on me.

Dascu

Take your time. There's no rush. Do it in chunks: clear the way out to Onii King first. The pot-throwing Onii won't respawn once you've killed them once, IIRC. Oh, and make sure you've got a farmer with you once you go to face him.

bartris

Neo Member
Oli said:
I suppose. Especially since I somehow managed to lose a citizen in my explorations... Stupid mushrooms ganged up on me.

When they have those litle blue exclamation marks above your teams heads, pull them back, and youll have few if any deaths!

I love this game, As somebody who has spent the past perhaps two years on the sidelines, only really dabbling and not completing any games at all, its great to have come accross a unique and unabashedly intriguing title that has sucked me in and made me love gaming again! This game has done this, and I cannot wait to finish it a second time, and then move onto something new, interest replenished....

upandaway

bartris said:
When they have those litle blue exclamation marks above your teams heads, pull them back, and youll have few if any deaths!

I love this game, As somebody who has spent the past perhaps two years on the sidelines, only really dabbling and not completing any games at all, its great to have come accross a unique and unabashedly intriguing title that has sucked me in and made me love gaming again! This game has done this, and I cannot wait to finish it a second time, and then move onto something new, interest replenished....
Can I recommend Zack & Wiki?

Dascu

danielijohnson said:
What is the extra content NA received? I tried searching this thread and couldn't find it.

On topic, this game is incredible.
From what I've heard, NA gets:
- new replacement boss for the
art gallery quest
- new "Tyrant" difficulty mode with a little different ending
- 480p
- comes with a demo for No More Heroes 2

Eteric Rice

Dascu said:
art gallery quest
- 480p

Uh, no.

BUT WE DID GET THIS!...

little+kings+story+14.jpg

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
GDI I have a GameFly shipping center right by my house, so when I saw it shipped I got pumped, assuming it would be here today. I looked closer and saw that they shipped it from fucking TAMPA (I'm in CA) instead of the center close to me :(:(

Probably won't be here till Monday, now.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Dascu said:
art gallery quest
- 480p
don't forget the the complementary cocaine, hookers, and check for $100,000.

played a little earlier. i'm afraid i might finally permanently lose someone. Alice, my first archer, died when we were ambushed by club-toting super-oniis. i'm kind of afraid to continue :'(

upandaway

doomed1 said:
don't forget the the complementary cocaine, hookers, and check for $100,000.

played a little earlier. i'm afraid i might finally permanently lose someone. Alice, my first archer, died when we were ambushed by club-toting super-oniis. i'm kind of afraid to continue :'(
She's watching, always.

Watching to see if you will abandon her sacrifice or carry onward like a fucking man.

Edit: As I clicked post it crossed my mind that you might be female. Oh well!

Luigison

Holy Freak! I just beat Duvroc with Little King. It took *forever and was super intense. I'd got him down to about half his life with soldiers, hunters, and diggers, but they all died. So I had to finish him with just Little King. I noticed a few things that could be glitches too. Early in the battle I killed two of the little Onii, but they just laid down and never disappeared until after I'd killed Duvroc. When finishing Duvroc with Little King I noticed that the life meter went down very very little with each hit. Eventually there was apparently no life meter left, but it took about twenty or so more hits to finally kill him. Shew.. I was beginning to think I couldn't finish him with just Little King. After killing him I wasn't unable to collect the present that was just to the right of the stand.

*For the sake of this post: Forever equals a couple of hours. I think that was the most intense battle every. I must have held my breath and stopped blinking at times. Afterwards I had a little headache and my heart was racing. I had that feeling you get when you almost have a car wreck or fall off from a great height. Must have been a combination of adrenaline and the energy juice I'd had earlier.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Phife Dawg said:
Eh, progressive is always 480 lines for Wii, even in PAL-land (unless of course I've been missing something).
*blinks and stares for a moment*
nope, it was i who was missing something - the fact we were speaking of the wii's embedded framebuffer. just a brain slip.

CO_Andy

Problem solved. 480p works only when you install the system update.

Bypassing the update thru Gecko OS was not wise: no progressive scan.

mclem

Hero of Legend said:
I'm confused.

I had only one farmer on me, and when I dismissed him, the message said "Royal Guard Dismissed".

That can't be right.

The Royal Guard is whatever group of citizens you currently have with you. If you dismiss the last member of that (even if it's a farmer!), then you have dismissed the Royal Guard.

mclem said:
The Royal Guard is whatever group of citizens you currently have with you. If you dismiss the last member of that (even if it's a farmer!), then you have dismissed the Royal Guard.

Oh! I thought the soldiers were the royal guards specifically. :p

I also notice the message doesn't appear everytime you dismiss them, I guess they thiught it was only nessesary for... once a day is it or something?

hellclerk

upandaway said:
She's watching, always.

Watching to see if you will abandon her sacrifice or carry onward like a fucking man.

Edit: As I clicked post it crossed my mind that you might be female. Oh well!
no, i'm a dude, through and through. i didn't end up losing Alice, but i DID lose one of my oldest grunts, Adrian. i was happy, since i had defeated the toki guardian, and had made my Purple Knight building, and was planning on sending Adrian in to become one of the first of my elite guard, i was crushed to learn he died. i even attended the funeral when the small collection of elite from the guard that were close to him. he was unmarried.

but Alice isn't my favorite, that's my Captain of the Guard, Letty. i tried different combinations something like 5 or 6 times before so i could get the best upgrade so she could be a Hardened Soldier.

oh, and does anyone know what time i'm supposed to go to the beach to see who washed up?

botticus

That frog is kicking my ass. I went after him with 6 soldiers the first time, but was a bit sloppy, then tried again with 2 but they got rocked in a hurry, and it would have been a half hour taking him out with just my king. I'll be trying again with some more soldiers.

botticus said:
That frog is kicking my ass. I went after him with 6 soldiers the first time, but was a bit sloppy, then tried again with 2 but they got rocked in a hurry, and it would have been a half hour taking him out with just my king. I'll be trying again with some more soldiers.

Try what I did a few posts above!

how do I defeat the enemies who run around in those rings? I send soldiers after them, they get knocked away; I send archers after them, their arrows don't travel fast enough. I'm at one point where these guys are dancing around wood and stone I need to break down, but I can't put my people in place to do that since they keep attacking.

and I'm still hovering around my general area so far. I've got my elite four-man soldier unit now which can destroy those bastard frogs in seconds. Joshua, Giana, Jack and Zack. Nicole used to be part of the crew before Zack took her place. For some reason the upgrade to elite soldier made her health drop. She's still in my royale guard, but not the my super elite fighter squad.

oh, and this is totally one of the best Wii games. Best Wii game this year unless NSMBwii is better than great; probably best third party Wii game unless I'm forgetting something (not counting ports).

hellclerk

Linkzg said:
how do I defeat the enemies who run around in those rings? I send soldiers after them, they get knocked away; I send archers after them, their arrows don't travel fast enough. I'm at one point where these guys are dancing around wood and stone I need to break down, but I can't put my people in place to do that since they keep attacking.

and I'm still hovering around my general area so far. I've got my elite four-man soldier unit now which can destroy those bastard frogs in seconds. Joshua, Giana, Jack and Zack. Nicole used to be part of the crew before Zack took her place. For some reason the upgrade to elite soldier made her health drop. She's still in my royale guard, but not the my super elite fighter squad.

oh, and this is totally one of the best Wii games. Best Wii game this year unless NSMBwii is better than great; probably best third party Wii game unless I'm forgetting something (not counting ports).
in between their attacks, send your lumberjack or miner (depending on obstacle), and then have him alone break down the stuff. once the ring guys break their orbit, they're pretty easy prey for soldiers. i can't remember beating them the first time. i sent the archers after them, and it didn't do anything, but when i sent the grunts, they fell just like the rest of the onii i've massacred. meanwhile, Larry the Onii stands in shocked silence as i systematically eradicate his race. HUMANITY! THE MASTER RACE! VON DER VATERLAND!

speaking of conquest, i beat Duvoc in combat. it wasn't as hard as some were making it out to be. i only lost one grunt, and that was because one of those damnable frog things jumped out when i was trying to construct the bridge to the land of the jolly.

Duvoc is also SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO awesome. he immediately hit me as Homer Simpson with hair. i also love that i essentially stole his daughter. the opening and ending cutscenes to the boss were superb and really made the character a riot. the music and sound really helped set up the mood. really a fun time. if anyone wants tips to beat Duvoc, if you haven't already, i can spoil some tips i suppose.

upandaway

I think I may have played the game wrong or something, because I never cared nearly as much as some of you for the NPCs.

Usually I just grab whoever is in my path and go. I don't care for the health or for the items or whatever.
I played on normal though, so I don't know if it's a problem on hard.
I think the game would have crushed me if I did care. The game dives deep enough with all the dark humor with the happy childish style, it almost kills me. All the satirical signs about corruption and dictatorship and christianity and a bunch of other controversial subjects. If I also cared about the citizens or wives after all of that I don't know.

Eteric Rice

upandaway said:
I think I may have played the game wrong or something, because I never cared nearly as much as some of you for the NPCs.

Usually I just grab whoever is in my path and go. I don't care for the health or for the items or whatever.
I played on normal though, so I don't know if it's a problem on hard.
I think the game would have crushed me if I did care. The game dives deep enough with all the dark humor with the happy childish style, it almost kills me. All the satirical signs about corruption and dictatorship and christianity and a bunch of other controversial subjects. If I also cared about the citizens or wives after all of that I don't know.

Same.

Though sometimes I do follow some of them around to see what they do. :D

GhaleonQ

upandaway said:

He's said that he likes religion just fine, so it's more of an "state church" thing than Christianity. But, yeah, they're more effective than a whole bunch of TRPG's with more "well-developed" characters, in my mind.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
botticus said:
my take on this boss:

* tried first with 6 or 7 soldiers - bad idea - recipe for mass poisoning.
* next, limited the troops to 4 - two of my best and two weak guys i eventually released of military duty. the two weak guys died quick as you can hardly avoid getting them hit at all. i deiced to use this opportunity for experimenting, so i let the remaining two guys die as well, and finished the froggie myself in ~15 mintues. all casualties came back washed up on the beach right after the battle, but i reloaded from my save, nevertheless.
* finally, got my 3 best grunts, and exercised the following hit-n-run tactic:

- stayed most of the time behind the tree by the entry of the swamp
- would send one soldier to taunt the enemy when it would go into passive/belch-only mode, while avoiding the poison attacks by hiding behind the tree.
- would not try to actively target the enemy when it performed rapid movements - the game automatically does that for you in such occasions, as long as you were targetting it originally. that helped me minimise greatly the re-targetting.
- would be very quick on the attack/retreat buttons - the game gives you enough cues as to when you need to retreat.

voila - a relatively quick, no-hassle victory.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
The school is for children, as you'd expect. You'll see them playing outside at break time. And send the children in through the door and they turn into adults.

Culinary Academy is for training chefs, which are good against chicken enemies.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
blu said:
my take on this boss:

* tried first with 6 or 7 soldiers - bad idea - recipe for mass poisoning.
* next, limited the troops to 4 - two of my best and two weak guys i eventually released of military duty. the two weak guys died quick as you can hardly avoid getting them hit at all. i deiced to use this opportunity for experimenting, so i let the remaining two guys die as well, and finished the froggie myself in ~15 mintues. all casualties came back washed up on the beach right after the battle, but i reloaded from my save, nevertheless.
* finally, got my 3 best grunts, and exercised the following hit-n-run tactic:

- stayed most of the time behind the tree by the entry of the swamp
- would send one soldier to taunt the enemy when it would go into passive/belch-only mode, while avoiding the poison attacks by hiding behind the tree.
- would not try to actively target the enemy when it performed rapid movements - the game automatically does that for you in such occasions, as long as you were targetting it originally. that helped me minimise greatly the re-targetting.
- would be very quick on the attack/retreat buttons - the game gives you enough cues as to when you need to retreat.

voila - a relatively quick, no-hassle victory.

It wasn't until after I was close to killing the frog that I noticed that enemies have clouds of smoke puffing out of their heads before they attack.

Eteric Rice said:
What does the Royal School do?

Same question for the Culinary Academy... lol

School turns the children into adults. I didn't bother making anyone older since I already have too many useless adults wandering around.

Culinary Academy I haven't built yet, but according to the info guy, they can turn giant chickens into food. I'll build one when I just need to get rid of money fast.

Top Bottom