• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
EzLink said:
I'm browsing through a walkthrough on gamefaqs, and its recommending specific sidequests and powerups at the stage in the game that I'm at... the only problem is that they aren't available to me yet! Do I just need to wait and they will eventually come through my suggestion box, or are there things I need to do to trigger certain events and sidequests?

That walkthrough is a record of one specific playthrough - the sidequests don't necessarily come in that order at all, and the powerups/buildings all depend what order you have opened up areas/defeated guardians/earned money.

Just waiting won't help - going out and beating a few guardian guys will.

Wow, I just played for 6 hours straight. I haven't been this compelled to play a game for many hours at a time since Persona 4.

I really really hope this doesn't flop so we can see more games like this but I know reality is harsh :(

Just spent about five hours playing Little King's Story. It's a great game, easily shaping up to be on of my favorites on the Wii.

I feel a twinge of guilt the few times (three) I've had soldiers fall in combat, especially when it's someone whom I've married because they're leaving behind a significant other and a child. I know they're not real, these are fictional characters but I still feel badly about it because those are repercussions of my choices, some kid loses a parent, someone looses a spouse. I also don't like how I get hate mail or discover that x amount of my populace loathes me (the hate tends to spike when a soldier dies). That's never really happened in the twenty some odd years I've been playing video games. I was reseting the game when soldiers died early on, but now I'll accept a loss or two, so long as I've got new couples producing new soldiers for my army.

Eteric Rice

jaundicejuice said:
Just spent about five hours playing Little King's Story. It's a great game, easily shaping up to be on of my favorites on the Wii.

I feel a twinge of guilt the few times (three) I've had soldiers fall in combat, especially when it's someone whom I've married because they're leaving behind a significant other and a child. I know they're not real, these are fictional characters but I still feel badly about it because those are repercussions of my choices, some kid loses a parent, someone looses a spouse. I also don't like how I get hate mail or discover that x amount of my populace loathes me (the hate tends to spike when a soldier dies). That's never really happened in the twenty some odd years I've been playing video games. I was reseting the game when soldiers died early on, but now I'll accept a loss or two, so long as I've got new couples producing new soldiers for my army.

Not to mention when you die. God that was surreal the first time I saw it.

I don't see the real big deal over that Life Over bit with the people at the funeral.

Unless there's something else I'm missing? :O Don't tell me what it is, just tell if there is something bigger than that.

Chumly

So I was looking for this game today and it seems that nobody is carrying it. Best buy has never heard of it and Walmart and Target only seem to be selling it online. Is Gamestop the only store carrying it? : /

meme

Banned
Does this game offers good single player modes and good replayability?? I'm short on cash but I really want this one and I don't have Wi-Fi (games are really expensive here in Brazil). Thks :D

EzLink

Banned
Chumly said:
So I was looking for this game today and it seems that nobody is carrying it. Best buy has never heard of it and Walmart and Target only seem to be selling it online. Is Gamestop the only store carrying it? : /

From what I can gather, yes :/ I had to break down and go to Gamestop as well. Thank God it was still in the shrinkwrap.

Seriously though dude, it's totally worth it. It sucks being hassled by Gamestop employees, but then you can just take out your anger in game by projecting their personalities onto any soldiers that perish during battle.

GhaleonQ

meme said:
Does this game offers good single player modes and good replayability?? I'm short on cash but I really want this one and I don't have Wi-Fi (games are really expensive here in Brazil). Thks :D

If you search "hours" here, the consensus is a basic 40 to a standard 50 to a 100% 60 (not including replaying on the hardest difficulty for the bonus ending).

meme

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
If you search "hours" here, the consensus is a basic 40 to a standard 50 to a 100% 60 (not including replaying on the hardest difficulty for the bonus ending).

That's enough for me, many thanks :)

Eteric Rice said:
How do you kill those little dudes in the rings? They keep fucking up my soldiers. :(
If they're running around guarding something with their rings spinning, you can't. Unless you kill what they're guarding, they won't pay attention to you.

If you're talking about them just walking around normally, just attack them when they're not attacking you.

Oli

Man, the side quest bosses are insane! I beat the Onii King easily, but the Mushroom dude ripped my team to shreds.

Oli said:
Man, the side quest bosses are insane! I beat the Onii King easily, but the Mushroom dude ripped my team to shreds.

Here's a tip, stay in defense stand the entire time. Also, the more hunters you have, the easier, since you can get them out of the way easier.

botticus

Finally beat the frog today after a couple more tries with a complement of 6 soldiers. Lost a couple guys in the process, but thankfully they returned in uniform, though I think they hated me afterwards for a bit.

Accidentally stumbled upon the boss across the river shortly after that with only a handful of soldiers, as I was in the process of exploring with builders and farmers. But some running around ended that relatively painlessly and my kingdom continues to expand. Didn't actually want to get to that point so quickly since I wanted to do some more treasure-hunting. Now I need another 500 bol so I can get my second podium and finally be able to manage my Royal Guard as I would like.

Should I assume that hunters get their arrows restocked after a night of rest?

I was certainly enjoying it before, but it's getting better as more functionality is unlocked.

Is the supposed "final boss" of the guardians
the blue dragon
really the last one? Seems kind of early for that. Either way, he keeps fucking me up and I'm wondering if I should just come back to him later.

ZAK

I took some quests in areas I apparently can't access (there is a gate wtf). I pretty much failed on those. That'll learn me to read what I'm agreeing to.

People seem to really care about their citizens. Maybe it'll happen when I play more, but right now, I don't get that at all. Someone died and I called all the folks in black right back to work.

GhaleonQ

cosmicblizzard said:
Is the supposed "final boss" of the guardians
the blue dragon
really the last one? Seems kind of early for that. Either way, he keeps fucking me up and I'm wondering if I should just come back to him later.

Yeah (apart from anything they added for the U.S. release). It's more of a war of attrition than anything else, so I'm not sure that it gets easier, per se. You might want to look at it with fresh eyes, later.

Do the "pay Verde and Liam" missions ever end? they both asked for 9990,000. This is practically robbery, and the assholes don't even appreciate. I'll lop off Liam's head if he calls me "little man" again. I'm convinced that this is a scam in the kingdom or something.

GhaleonQ

Hero of Legend said:
God I LOVE how it uses classical music! :D

I almost had a heart attack, thinking there was a full gamerip out there already.

The ending arrangement of the title theme's is magnificent, too. Plus, Kimura said Minobe will put out a full soundtrack if the game sells, and that it'll probably be free to download or inexpensive to buy a physical copy. *crosses fingers* If you've ever seen 1 of their OSTs before, you'll want the album.

Also, this video is a SPOILER (though the title isn't and it doesn't jump to any spoilers in the first few seconds, so if you click "H.Q." and then minimize it, you'll be fine): www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xVtHbWJLH4 It's a secret video called "Swimming Pool," and its music is more representative of the music they've done before. If you guys have heard of Lullatone, it sound likes that.

Hero of Legend said:
Why not just save often and reset if you lose someone like I do? But I suppose that's unatural...

Because sometimes it can't be helped. People will die in the line of duty for their king.
But poor Adam...
They held the funeral today.
:(

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
a technical question: are treasure items one-per-kind or something? i just dug out two skull staffs, they both ended up as 'treasure' with Howser, and now i see only one in my treasure room. is the old miser fleecing me again?

Duvroc is insane...i guess i'm supposed to beat him later on in the game? he's the first king after the onii king i beat. the bonjour guy
(pinball)
is much easier.
oh man, this game is good :D

AceBandage said:
Sometimes they do...
Poor Adam did not...
By the time they got to his body... it was too late.
i save on the next day and then reload if no one's washed up on shore. i can't bear to see anyone of them die =( especially if they have kids and all...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
cosmicblizzard said:
I really really hope this doesn't flop so we can see more games like this but I know reality is harsh :(

Define flop.
Game's carried only by Gamestop, of course it's not going to do good numbers in absolute terms... but probably enough for MMV/XSEED.

Oli

Someone just sent me fan mail with the word bewbies in it. This game is truly something else. :lol

Okay.

So two days with the game and I think it's safe to say it's one of the best games this year.

There's just so...much. And it never gets boring, at least so far. I've played it about as long as many next-gen games last and it's been enjoyable that whole way through. There's always something to discover, always a new corner to turn, something new to conquer.

An example: I was exploring a new area with my royal guard, which is made up of mostly soldiers, two carpenters, two farmers, two lumberjacks, and two hunters. I had gotten completely lost and it was well past midnight. Everywhere I went there were Fried Federation monsters, which I can't really handle without a chef. So I was running for my life and saw a construction sign. I start building, hoping to escape to an area with no monsters, only for a frog to come in and destroy the bridge. I ended up fleeing again, finding a new path, which lead to a new area, letting me warp back to my castle.

The next day, I regrouped, made my way back to the bridge, and destroyed the frog. I built the bridge, discovered another new area, and met a new monster that I engaged in battle with for the whole day.

Through exploration, pure and simple exploration, I discovered a number of amazing and new things. That's what this game offers that nothing else does, the discovery of new things while you're having fun.

LKS is a strong contender for my game of the year.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Twilight Princess said:
Duvroc is insane...i guess i'm supposed to beat him later on in the game? he's the first king after the onii king i beat. the bonjour guy
(pinball)
is much easier.
oh man, this game is good :D

i save on the next day and then reload if no one's washed up on shore. i can't bear to see anyone of them die =( especially if they have kids and all...

Oh god, I thought I was the only one here who felt bad whenever a soldier or a guard died, even more so if they were married and had kids. I reset my game every time they die as well :lol

Dash Kappei said:
Define flop.
Game's carried only by Gamestop, of course it's not going to do good numbers in absolute terms... but probably enough for MMV/XSEED.

Would it really be enough for MMV? I remember they were pretty uspet over their Wii game sales and a supposed "AAA" title with a limited release can't be helping that.

As for Xseed, I have no idea what they would consider good numbers. If they expected Retro Game Challenge to do 100k, maybe they'll never be satisfied.

Chumly

Dash Kappei said:
Define flop.
Its going to be a huge flop and I doubt its even enough to cover the costs either. I believe they are expecting 120k from the US......... Its going to be lucky to get 20k first month and with it not being carried by ANYONE its not going to have legs. Its unfortunate because technically the game "suits" the wii by having the "kiddie" look but MMV/XSEED have absolutely zero power to get anyone to carry the game. Shovelware companies have better luck getting stores to stock their games than MMV/XSEED does.
It's also at Amazon, Toys R Us, and HMV Canada at least.
I also checked Toysrus and they dont seem to be carrying it in stores either......

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Phife Dawg said:
That doesn't make any sense...at all.
i know, it just seemed right in my craze. if my high school German serves me now, unlike before it should be either

UM DER VATERLAND WILLEN!

or

ALS DER VATERLAND!

or something like that.

anyway, after being shamed by that fat bastard for God knows how many times, i gave up for the day and took the time to finally finish Contact, which is an oddity, but another sentimental classic out of grasshopper. i'll work on the game more tomorrow night after job hunting and scholarly discussion over lunch.

I SWEAR, BY THE SOIL I TREAD, THAT SHISHKEBOB WILL TASTE THE END OF MY ARMY'S BLADES BY MIDNIGHT!

Eteric Rice

Chumly said:
Its going to be a huge flop and I doubt its even enough to cover the costs either. I believe they are expecting 120k from the US......... Its going to be lucky to get 20k first month and with it not being carried by ANYONE its not going to have legs. Its unfortunate because technically the game "suits" the wii by having the "kiddie" look but MMV/XSEED have absolutely zero power to get anyone to carry the game. Shovelware companies have better luck getting stores to stock their games than MMV/XSEED does.

What the hell...

Anyway, yeah, this game probably isn't going to do very good. But that's the problem with XSEED. They don't advertise, ever. Word of mouth rarely carries a game these days.

GhaleonQ

Awesome reviews are probably coming Monday.

Anthony Gallegos: LIttle King Story is way, way longer than I thought it would be. Also more awesome.
Alice Liang: IM A LITTLE KING IN A LITTLE KING STORY FULL OF STORIES OF A KING WHO IS LITTLE. (That's positive, right?)

doomed1 said:
i gave up for the day and took the time to finally finish Contact, which is an oddity, but another sentimental classic out of grasshopper.

Also directed by the map designer from Love-De-Lic. COINCIDENCE?

EzLink

Banned
This game just keeps giving. I'm probably about five hours in, and this is seriously like the Harvest Moon I've always wanted. Yes it's totally different, but gameplay-wise within the genre it just gets so much right. So much depth and creativity and surprisingly epic moments. I'm totally addicted. Will be a contender for sure for my favorite Wii game. Long live the King!

4 hours in.. the world just opened up and my castle expanded. Dude, this game is awesome! so so so much deeper and fun than i thought it would be.

my only cons?
pathfinding is kinda shit. stairs especially are RIDICULOUS!!

Jangaroo

doomed1 said:
i know, it just seemed right in my craze. if my high school German serves me now, unlike before it should be either

UM DER VATERLAND WILLEN!

or

ALS DER VATERLAND!

or something like that.

anyway, after being shamed by that fat bastard for God knows how many times, i gave up for the day and took the time to finally finish Contact, which is an oddity, but another sentimental classic out of grasshopper. i'll work on the game more tomorrow night after job hunting and scholarly discussion over lunch.

I SWEAR, BY THE SOIL I TREAD, THAT SHISHKEBOB WILL TASTE THE END OF MY ARMY'S BLADES BY MIDNIGHT!

Contact is such a great game. The ending made me feel all fuzzy inside. On a side note, Shishkebabo can go to hell. Attempted to fight him 3 times so far and I've lost every single time. VICTORY SHALL BE MINE.... tomorrow.

Jangaroo

DevelopmentArrested said:
4 hours in.. the world just opened up and my castle expanded. Dude, this game is awesome! so so so much deeper and fun than i thought it would be.

my only cons?

Once you get the Evade Formation, stairs shouldn't be a problem.

Mekere

GhaleonQ said:
[...]
The ending arrangement of the title theme's is magnificent, too. Plus, Kimura said Minobe will put out a full soundtrack if the game sells, and that it'll probably be free to download or inexpensive to buy a physical copy. *crosses fingers* If you've ever seen 1 of their OSTs before, you'll want the album.
[...]

An OST would be awesome! And if they could put all of the humming as a secret track it would be even better :p Moonlight sonata >*

my only cons?
Yeah, you pretty much have to get in to attack formation and go really slowly. Taking big groups up stairs is an exercise in tedium. Walking along narrow pathways is equally annoying.

Camera, targeting, and pathfinding are things that really stand out as flaws in an otherwise polished game. It's a good thing the game is so fun, otherwise they might be much bigger issues.

Artanisix

This is kind of a strange question --

I've been intrigued by this game for a long time and will probably be picking it up Wednesday after I finish all my school work (so I don't get distracted). From what I'm reading, Little King's Story is appearing to be pretty wicked. Does this game have a screenshot/camera mode like Animal Crossing at all?

That would greatly please me, but oh well if it doesn't.

billy.sea

Banned
Mockingbird said:
Got it from Fry's Electronics in So Cal for $39.99 today! I didn't even know it was out. They had a ton of copies too.

Me too, I got it today at Fry.
Played for an hour, pretty fun so far.

bartris

Neo Member

my only cons?

Stand at the bottom of the stairs and shoot your guard up the stairs one after the other real quick, then run up the stairs, no problems!

That is until you get the Evade formation.

Top Bottom