• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

botticus

Am I correct in assuming I need lumberjacks in order to move farther into the Onii kingdom? Need to go out for a few more mushroom hunting trips to be able to build that.

What is the ultimate maximum party size you can upgrade to by the end of the game?

AshtonDragon

Neo Member
I think the maximum party size at the end of the game is 30. I still only have 17, myself.

Amazing game so far, at any rate. My most recent accomplishment was defeating that mushroom boss, which actually killed 13 of my soldiers. Every single one washed up on the shore the next day (possibly because I was able to afford the death penalties?), but needless to say, I'm not very well-liked anymore.

Mmmm, I've been playing for about 15 hours and I thought I'd share some encounters:

-Beat that frog, fairly easily after I made some adjustments. My big mistake was bringing too many units. Originally I had nine soldiers figuring I could gang attack him when I got an opening, but with a crew that large it's very difficult to avoid poison. I narrowed down to four (with health/power up items) and it was a cakewalk.

-Did the mission that has you fighting 12 chickens (Fried whatever), except I didn't have the proper unit to do this easily. :lol I lost seven soldiers in the battle, and the rest were all old men. Three permanently died, but I died in a guardian battle the next day while forgetting to save, so I got everyone back.

-Got myself the miners and really went questing about in the Sunshine area. Lotta crap to deal with down there...ultimately ending with me building a bridge to a pumpkin patch. I was about ready to fight a hopping magical scarecrow thingy, then like 20 pumpkins came to life to attack me. BAIL OUT.

Loving this game so far.

Eteric Rice

The scarecrow can be a pain, but really all you have to do is get them to follow you away from the scarecrow, THEN attack him off and on.

Or you could run completely past him like I do. :lol

Effect

Sucks that Walmart isn't selling this in stores but only online. I try not to buy games from Gamestop if I have a choice but looks like I'll have to give them a call to see if they have the game. Normally I'd order from Amazon.com but would like to play this now.

I've heard you can specialize different towns. How does that actually work?

Once the story is over can you continue to play and expand your Kingdom or does the game end? Also is there a free style mode or must you play the story?

AshtonDragon

Neo Member
I found this game in a Walmart store here, although I'm Canadian. I'm a little surprised that it isn't found in the American stores.

I am under the assumption that you can continue playing after completing the story, although I doubt that you can really expand any further. There isn't a "freestyle" mode.

Effect

Gotcha. Thanks.

Are there any images of what an advanced town looks like? Do buildings get upgraded in looks or keep that shack like appearance they seem to have at the very beginning of the game? Roads get built?

Do you also decide where buildings are built (for example Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King for WiiWare) or do the npcs decide that and you just direct them?

Effect said:
Gotcha. Thanks.

Are there any images of what an advanced town looks like? Do buildings get upgraded in looks or keep that shack like appearance they seem to have at the very beginning of the game? Roads get built?

Do you also decide where buildings are built (for example Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King for WiiWare) or do the npcs decide that and you just direct them?

The castle upgrades, the buildings do not, though they get more complicated as you expand. And yes, roads and parks and such get built.
You can't decide where they go, it's all pre-determined.

Mushroom boss isn't that hard. I don't attack him unless he's done coming up from the ground, and when he's spreading poison, I run along an arc hugging the wall on the northeast side going southeast.

sonicmj1

I started this game last night, and played through the CowBones boss. After a brief learning period where I learned how to actually fight enemies (I had to shamefully restart after a turniphead killed one of my farmers), clearing Uma from the countryside was simple, and the actual boss fight was pretty fun. It wasn't difficult to get well ahead of my overall funding goals.

It's an absolutely charming game. I love the art and music, and how peaceful they make the game feel, like a children's book. I love the personality of the villagers. It was great giving them jobs, and then seeing them go around performing them. I liked how, even during the cow festival, there were still some soldiers patrolling the perimeter of my kingdom, making sure the people were safe.

Still, it definitely has a darker side to it. I can't help but feel that Howzer is trying to use me for his own ends.

The opening puppet show will be on my mind as I continue through the game, but I can't wait to see what will come next.

EzLink

Banned
God dammmit, this game is getting really frusterating. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and just going to assume I'm unnaturally bad at it (even though I'm playing on Easy mode).

I accepted two quests, a one star quest where you go to Dark Valley to fight a Fried Federation chicken and two hoop Onii's, and then a two star quest where you go to Sunflower Plains and fight this dude (can't even remember what it was) but there were like 9 melons that also attacked right by him. I brought 15 soldiers to the first quest with the chicken and 2 hunters, and my team got absolutely decimated. On easy mode, 17 fighters couldn't take out a chicken and two hoop Onii's :/ And I tried it two times after as well, with the same result. I thought part of it was because I can't get the hoop Onii to stop walking and thus be vulnerable, so then I sent some hunters after to try and fight from a distance. But that didn't work at all either :/ And then with the dude in the Sunflower plains, I had 17 soldiers and they all died. Maybe its because my strategy when facing a huge mass of enemies at once is just facing them and repeatedly mash the A button... but at the same time when you are in a confined area I'm not sure what other strategies you even could use. Is anyone else finding this shit as hard as I am?

Also, I noticed some quests have time limits on them... if you don't do them within the required time are they forever unavailable afterwards?

EzLink said:
God dammmit, this game is getting really frusterating. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and just going to assume I'm unnaturally bad at it (even though I'm playing on Easy mode).

I accepted two quests, a one star quest where you go to Dark Valley to fight a Fried Federation chicken and two hoop Onii's, and then a two star quest where you go to Sunflower Plains and fight this dude (can't even remember what it was) but there were like 9 melons that also attacked right by him. I brought 15 soldiers to the first quest with the chicken and 2 hunters, and my team got absolutely decimated. On easy mode, 17 fighters couldn't take out a chicken and two hoop Onii's :/ And I tried it two times after as well, with the same result. I thought part of it was because I can't get the hoop Onii to stop walking and thus be vulnerable, so then I sent some hunters after to try and fight from a distance. But that didn't work at all either :/ And then with the dude in the Sunflower plains, I had 17 soldiers and they all died. Maybe its because my strategy when facing a huge mass of enemies at once is just facing them and repeatedly mash the A button... but at the same time when you are in a confined area I'm not sure what other strategies you even could use. Is anyone else finding this shit as hard as I am?

Also, I noticed some quests have time limits on them... if you don't do them within the required time are they forever unavailable afterwards?

You need to balance your team more.
Just soldiers isn't going to help. You need more hunters, and having a few lumberjacks and farmers can't hurt.
Learn to recall them when you see the enemy charging and attack, at that point, switch to your hunters and have them pound him with arrows.

EzLink said:

i volleyed the chicken to death with 2 archers. collected a bunch of arrows beforehand. the scarycrow guy, i usually sneak up on him when he's facing the other direction, and zerg him to death before the melon dudes close in and do damage on my team.

EzLink

Banned
AceBandage said:
You need to balance your team more.
Just soldiers isn't going to help. You need more hunters, and having a few lumberjacks and farmers can't hurt.
Learn to recall them when you see the enemy charging and attack, at that point, switch to your hunters and have them pound him with arrows.

I just assumed that if I'm going on a quest where I'm only going to fight that more soldiers would be preferrable to farmers and lumberjacks. Is that not the case?

Oh, also, what's up with the treasure room? I noticed you can equip them onto soldiers, but does it really help all that much? Also, if a soldier holding a treasure dies in battle, do you lose the treasure too?

EzLink said:
I just assumed that if I'm going on a quest where I'm only going to fight that more soldiers would be preferrable to farmers and lumberjacks. Is that not the case?

Oh, also, what's up with the treasure room? I noticed you can equip them onto soldiers, but does it really help all that much? Also, if a soldier holding a treasure dies in battle, do you lose the treasure too?

Certain UMAs are weak against certain classes (plants to farmers, rocks/machines to construction, ect), and soldiers are not an instant win. Archers are able to dish a lot of damage without being in a direct path.

As for the treasures, it depends. Some will add health, some will add status effects, some do nothing. I'm not sure if you lose them, though.

AshtonDragon

Neo Member
Well I haven't had a soldier die PERMANENTLY while holding a treasure (they washed up on shore the next day), but when that happened to me, their treasures were simply unequipped. Nothing was lost.

Effect

AceBandage said:
Certain UMAs are weak against certain classes (plants to farmers, rocks/machines to construction, ect), and soldiers are not an instant win. Archers are able to dish a lot of damage without being in a direct path.

As for the treasures, it depends. Some will add health, some will add status effects, some do nothing. I'm not sure if you lose them, though.
Ah. I had assumed that soldiers were the only fighting class. Nice to know that even though people are farmers, construction workers, etc they still fight. Does the manual make that clear or is it something you have to figure out as you are playing?

Having farmers go after plant enemies makes sense in a way but you don't automatically assume that when you have actual soldiers which you think should be the characters you take into battle.

It's just something I noticed.
Also, some UMAs are immune to certain classes (rocks and machines can't be hurt by arrows, I don't think chefs can attack undead, ect).
So, you just have to kind of watch your troops. They'll let you know if you're doing it right.

Effect

I see. Thanks :)

Do target UMA's with the wii remote pointer or do you just send your troops out in a given direction you are facing and they attack what they come across? I've seen the combat in the videos but I don't think anything I've seen has been clear on that.

Effect

AceBandage said:
There's no waggle or IR controls.
You basically shoot troops in the direction the King is facing.

Interesting. Thanks.

How does that handle control wise? Meaning there are no IR controls at all in the game?

Not that I don't have a problem with that. Sometimes it just isn't needed. We've all played games I'm sure where standard controls might have been better and the reverse is also true. How I would have thought an RTS game like this would use them. I know Overlord: Dark Legend uses them as well as Pikmin.

So how are the controls in general? Does the lack of IR work to the benefit of the game or do you or others wish it was different?

Wow, I spend like an hour trying to beat that damn
blue dragon
dying every 10 minutes, then I beat it barely losing any health with anyone. Should've swarmed it before it did the
flying attack
the first time.

botticus

Effect said:
Interesting. Thanks.

How does that handle control wise? Meaning there are no IR controls at all in the game?

Not that I don't have a problem with that. Sometimes it just isn't needed. We've all played games I'm sure where standard controls might have been better and the reverse is also true. How I would have thought an RTS game like this would use them. I know Overlord: Dark Legend uses them as well as Pikmin.

So how are the controls in general? Does the lack of IR work to the benefit of the game or do you or others wish it was different?
When I first started playing I didn't see much need for the IR, but as battles have started to include more enemies, it would have been nice to have greater precision over where you're aiming your people. I might just need to use the line-of-sight function more often, but a pointer would have solved that fairly quickly.

In this case, I think it works fine without it, but it would have been a nice addition.

EzLink

Banned
7 1/2 hours in, and I just beat the second king :D I'm all caught up on Guardian quests, so I'm just basking in my rapidly expanding kingdom. Damn though, shit is getting expensive. Everytime I get enough Bol to buy something, a dozen other things seem to pop up as well. I wonder how long it will take to have everything available and actually buy it all? This game though is just magnificient. I can't remember the last time I had this much pure fun with a title.

One thing I haven't been able to figure out though; what do I do when I run into a blue tree with artwork on top of it? I can't figure out how to get the art down.

jjgames

This sucks.

I got the game today from Amazon and I put it in my Wii: "Disc read error". Every other game still works but Little King's Story won't play. I was so excited for this.

Anyone else have the same problem? Or is it just my bad luck?

Oxx

EzLink said:
One thing I haven't been able to figure out though; what do I do when I run into a blue tree with artwork on top of it? I can't figure out how to get the art down.

Send some children up the tree.

jjgames said:
This sucks.

I got the game today from Amazon and I put it in my Wii: "Disc read error". Every other game still works but Little King's Story won't play. I was so excited for this.

it didn't load up properly after a hard reset, only once tho. i guess you could try eject/inserting and then power on/off?

GhaleonQ

jjgames said:
This sucks.

Some people have in this topic and at GameFAQs. I think people here decided that it was because it was dual-layered(?), because some people also couldn't get Super Smash Brothers Brawl to work. In any case, it's the Wii's fault and, since people didn't do follow-up posts, I presume the problem goes away.

I want a high quality rip of the 8-bit version of Rhapsody in Blue to use as my ringtone

I glanced at some of the complaints about this game and I recall seeing some people not feeling the music. The music is actually one of my favorite parts of this game. It's almost like what Banjo Kazooie did in taking each song, then changing them to fit different moods. This game does the same, except with famous classical songs that fit the style perfectly.

my only real complaint is that I'm conflicted on how I feel about the bosses. On one hand, they're really creative and different; on the other, they can get really annoying. Actually, my other complaint are the one hit kill attacks.

jjgames

GhaleonQ said:
Some people have in this topic and at GameFAQs. I think people here decided that it was because it was dual-layered(?), because some people also couldn't get Super Smash Brothers Brawl to work. In any case, it's the Wii's fault and, since people didn't do follow-up posts, I presume the problem goes away.

Thanks for that info. I will see what I can figure out with a bit of a search on GameFAQs. I've tried a hard reset and unplugging the Wii for a while and plugging it back in and reinserting the game. Nothing works.

I hope I don't need a new Wii just to play Little King's Story.

botticus

Should I be following the advice of Liam's sign and avoiding the tree trunk near the lumberjack's building, or do I not even have a choice (haven't tried cutting it down yet)?

I'm a whole 5000 bol short of being able to afford my last available upgrade, then I'm off to test my might against the Onii king.

i really regret grinding bol to get the merchants. the payoff was little at that stage, should have waited til later on in the game when bols are plenty. i seriously thought one purple wallet alone was going to pay off the initial 1999 + 150 bol cost for a single merchant.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
GameFly supposedly "shipped" this to me Thursday, but it still didn't come, today :(

SO ANGRY.

Just beat the
quiz
boss. I'm loving these bosses. Kind of sad that I'm out of guardians to fight but oh well. I guess the search for Skinny Ray's parts will be a good substitute.

taoofjord

I can't think of a better thread to make my first post in.

I *adore* this game. It brings me back to the good ol' days of A Link to the Past in that the world is so fun to explore. The game is gorgeous, the combat is exciting and surprisingly challenging at times, and it's full of personality/charm. It's looking to be one of my favorite games of recent years (though I'm only at about 8 hours in).

ZAK

Twilight Princess said:
i really regret grinding bol to get the merchants. the payoff was little at that stage, should have waited til later on in the game when bols are plenty. i seriously thought one purple wallet alone was going to pay off the initial 1999 + 150 bol cost for a single merchant.
Same here, except for thinking the one purse would pay for it. That's why I'm so damn broke.

GhaleonQ

I don't think I've asked yet: is anyone playing on Tyrant Mode and capable of posting the ending/gameplay on 1 of the flash video sites?

Luigison

I don't know what it is about this game, but I love. I'm glad I listened to the hype and not the reviews comparing it to Pikmin and Harvest Moon. I got bored with Pikmin and never got into Harvest Moon, but Little King's Story pulls you in and won't let go. I've already played for 35 hours and still have four kings left, lots of side quests and building to do. Even my toddler likes watching it and asked me to play "the animals" this weekend. We had company and I shouldn't have play it, but I did and everyone liked it.

GhaleonQ said:
Weird Stephen Totilo review (He beat it in 23 hours!): http://kotaku.com/5323638/little-kings-story-review-so-creative-so-hostile
Cool RPGamer review that I'm posting primarily because I like its title, "Tiny Iron Fist": http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/wii/kingstory/reviews/kingstorystrev1.html
the kotaku review is weird indeed. he complained about the saving system & too many restarts, but i don't see how that would be a problem if he plans his trip before leaving the castle...that's one thing i like about DQ, instead of letting the user exploit the save & load system, being able to save only in a church gives a better sense of adventure. even the weird saving system in majora's mask, i've never had an issue with.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
HA! I told you all that by midnight Shishkababoo would taste my steel! i defeated the Glutton of Versailles in a valiant battle, sadly losing 8 brave souls in the war of frosted attrition that Shishkababoo dared wage against me, the TRUE KING! Though, admittedly the ultimate prize wasn't as sweet as the Onii "King's" captive or that party animal Duvoc's daughter (how he managed to raise such a sensible girl is beyond me. Must be the mother). Well, I suppose as long as the glutton's wife isn't QUITE as large as her former master, I have no objections to her hanging around. At least it would be better than her ravaging some other poor citizen of his house and home in food bills. Ah, sometimes it is so difficult to be KING...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Turns out GameFly DID deliver my copy... to my neighbor. He dropped it off to me, this evening.

Played about ~90 minutes so far, and I def. dig it. Beat the Cow and the Frog. Had to restart a few times... took me three restarts to get the frog, but when I finally did kill him I lost none of my men.

Maybe it's because my citizens don't have families yet, but I haven't been sad when losing anyone, like others have reported. But then again, I was never sad when I caused Pikmin massacres, either...

ZAK

I'm learning that large guards are pretty useless, especially when fighting bosses. They're just more units to protect and usually end up dying. But maybe this will change, I dunno.

boiled goose

good with gravy
jjgames said:
Thanks for that info. I will see what I can figure out with a bit of a search on GameFAQs. I've tried a hard reset and unplugging the Wii for a while and plugging it back in and reinserting the game. Nothing works.

I hope I don't need a new Wii just to play Little King's Story.

nintendo will clean up the lens for you if you send it in.

kottila

ShockingAlberto said:
If they're running around guarding something with their rings spinning, you can't. Unless you kill what they're guarding, they won't pay attention to you.

Yes you can. I managed to break their rings by using a miner/carpenter/lumberjack (don't remember which) and then they're easy to kill

pakkit

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
Also, this video is a SPOILER (though the title isn't and it doesn't jump to any spoilers in the first few seconds, so if you click "H.Q." and then minimize it, you'll be fine): www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xVtHbWJLH4 It's a secret video called "Swimming Pool," and its music is more representative of the music they've done before. If you guys have heard of Lullatone, it sound likes that.
Holy crap. Is there an MP3 of this somewhere?

I feel guilty not being able to get this game right now, but I don't have enough time to play through it during summer and I won't have access to my Wii first semester. I've already waited long enough, dammit.

zigg

Got it yesterday at last, was too busy taking care of my kids and playing to post :D But it's pretty cool. I've only scratched the surface, I think. Couple hours in. I imagine I'll be playing way more slowly than the rest of you.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
doomed1 said:
HA! I told you all that by midnight Shishkababoo would taste my steel! i defeated the Glutton of Versailles in a valiant battle, sadly losing 8 brave souls in the war of frosted attrition that Shishkababoo dared wage against me, the TRUE KING! Though, admittedly the ultimate prize wasn't as sweet as the Onii "King's" captive or that party animal Duvoc's daughter (how he managed to raise such a sensible girl is beyond me. Must be the mother). Well, I suppose as long as the glutton's wife isn't QUITE as large as her former master, I have no objections to her hanging around. At least it would be better than her ravaging some other poor citizen of his house and home in food bills. Ah, sometimes it is so difficult to be KING...

Okay so I finally beat this boss after another 6 attempts. Probably the most frustrating boss fight I've played in a good while, but it was oh so satisfying to knock his ass into the fork. Getting the
FUCK AWESOME CASTLE UPGRADE
made it even better!

Top Bottom