• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

I pre-ordered this and played it for five hours on launch day. I really love it, hope they get to make a sequel and see it becoming a long-term favorite.

That said, Wii Sports Resort is out and my roommates have been hitting it pretty hard and I have a pretty heavy workload always, so these kind of games are increasingly difficult to fit into my schedule. The gameplay and tone are right up my alley though, just awesome stuff. I remember the initial announcement and feeling pretty indifferent, too.

Marvelous has really been bringing it to Wii owners, and XSEED is the best, I wish great things for the both of them.

kottila

Jangaroo said:
Okay so I finally beat this boss after another 6 attempts. Probably the most frustrating boss fight I've played in a good while, but it was oh so satisfying to knock his ass into the fork. Getting the
FUCK AWESOME CASTLE UPGRADE
made it even better!

I loved playing Shish. So much fun.

zigg

Two questions:

1. I see I can built like twelve thousand (okay, four) different kinds of houses. What's the advantages of the bigger and better ones? Better citizens?

2. Washing up on the shore: I heard someone washed up, went to the shore, didn't see anyone? I beat up some pots, did I kill them? :lol

amtentori said:
nintendo will clean up the lens for you if you send it in.

You don't even have to do that. $10 will get you a Nintendo-branded lens cleaning kit, good for like a kajillion uses. Picked one up for myself at BB when I was starting to get a few troubles recently.

If your drive really is shot, though, rather than buying a new Wii, call up customer service, get it repaired for $75+shipping (last I checked).

Mekere

zigg said:
Two questions:

1. I see I can built like twelve thousand (okay, four) different kinds of houses. What's the advantages of the bigger and better ones? Better citizens?

2. Washing up on the shore: I heard someone washed up, went to the shore, didn't see anyone? I beat up some pots, did I kill them? :lol

1. more taxes and more citizen

2. No, they just come back on their own after a while.

Mekere

zigg said:
They all say they take 2 citizens each. So later I'll be able to buy bigger ones?

Can I raze houses later too?

Yes and.. why would you want to do that! Do you want your people to sleep outside, in the cold, crying for pity, sending their children to beg for money. How cruel are you :'(

(so.. no)

zigg

Mekere said:
Yes and.. why would you want to do that!

I dunno, I'm kinda getting my evil streak on for this game :lol

(actually I was wondering if I could reclaim the land to build More Awesome Houses later)

zigg said:
Two questions:

i think the houses are all well designed, pretty to look at, and full of love and hearts!
the washed up soldiers have probly gone back home / to their jobs after you reach the beach

Effect

Does the game push you on to fight the next king or can you simply spend time around your town (how many can you get) if you want to? Or are the towns simply something to look at not something you can interact with?

ShineALight said:
I pre-ordered this and played it for five hours on launch day. I really love it, hope they get to make a sequel and see it becoming a long-term favorite.

Marvelous has really been bringing it to Wii owners, and XSEED is the best, I wish great things for the both of them.

Quoted for the fucking truth!

Luigison

Effect said:
Does the game push you on to fight the next king or can you simply spend time around your town (how many can you get) if you want to? Or are the towns simply something to look at not something you can interact with?
No. It gives you side quest to complete while you further explore. The town folk will tell you some interesting things. Some buildings are for training your troops while others can be used to collect taxes and sometimes get pictures for the art dealer. Towns also have bushes, vases, etc. that you can uses to get Bol (money). So far I've had one battle in a town, but I don't want to spoil that for you. BTW, you build more town areas as you conquer land thus giving you access to more citizens, Bol, and training opportunities that will lead to discovering new areas.

GhaleonQ

So, I'm an animation nut, but it's nowhere near my major. However, I just HAPPENED to fulfill my art requirement this term with an animation history class and we just HAPPENED to get to the painting animation class the week after Little King's Story came out. So, 2 cool things:

1. I got to do a 15-minute demo of Little King's Story for my class at an (not bragging) extremely prestigious university.

2. +4 sales because of it.

pakkit said:
Holy crap. Is there an MP3 of this somewhere?

I doubt that I can post gamerips, but if I can, I will when one's available. If not, this will definitely be on the soundtrack.

Eteric Rice

GhaleonQ said:
So, I'm an animation nut, but it's nowhere near my major. However, I just HAPPENED to fulfill my art requirement this term with an animation history class and we just HAPPENED to get to the painting animation class the week after Little King's Story came out. So, 2 cool things:

1. I got to do a 15-minute demo of Little King's Story for my class at an (not bragging) extremely prestigious university.

2. +4 sales because of it.

I doubt that I can post gamerips, but if I can, I will when one's available. If not, this will definitely be on the soundtrack.

Good man. :D

I completed the main quest, and most side quests, in about ~22 hours. Great, great, great game. One of the best games I've played this year, Wii GOTY by a large margin (unless NSMBwii is 100 times better than the DS game), and one of the best Wii games period. The pacing and progression in this game is top notch. I had nostalgia from when I first started playing the game and the world seemed so huge and difficult to move around in.

More people need to buy this. There isn't a dearth of fans like there was for Tenchu 4, another great underappreciated Wii/PSP game, but this game is seriously great. I enjoyed it more than the Pikmin games (tho, I wouldn't 100% agree with that comparison; just using it since others did).

tengiants

I picked this up this weekend. dude at gamestop didn't know what I was talking about after I asked if they had it as it wasn't out on the shelf (fortunately, otherwise i probably would've got an open box copy like i always do at GS. At least I haven't found someone else's save on anything I've bought new.. yet). He found it in a drawer and after looking at the box art said "are you sure this is what you want?"....

I will say the box art pales in comparison to the cover of the instruction manual. Put in about 5 hours in the two days I have owned it and I do like the game a lot. It is essentially a pikmin/zelda/dark cloud mix where the sum seems to be greater than the whole of the parts. Too early to say game of the year, but if it keeps in the direction it's going in it just might be.

The game isn't really for kids and I find the cover and art direction very misleading. I like it a lot and hope everyone eventually picks it up.

Made it to duvrock with no arrows and didn't save before clearing the forest before it. I had to stop playing after that, but I learned my lesson not to go fight bosses after doing a bunch of work unlike Stephen Totilo apparently.

Majora

Twilight Princess said:
does anyone know if i can still visit the towns after i beat the final noss?

If you mean the final king then yes. There's more game after the last king, and there's eventually a point of no return, but it's obvious when that is.

botticus

I have to admit I expected a much bigger challenge from the Onii king. I love my big castle. Can't imagine how big this place is going to be by the end of the game.

Damn, that fight with
TV Dinnah
was really long. It was awesome, but I went in with only 1 heart left on the king and I didn't save in a while, so I didn't want to just restart. Those 3 color bullets or whatever they were kept killing me.

GhaleonQ

Linkzg said:
I completed the main quest, and most side quests, in about ~22 hours. Great, great, great game. One of the best games I've played this year, Wii GOTY by a large margin (unless NSMBwii is 100 times better than the DS game), and one of the best Wii games period. The pacing and progression in this game is top notch. I had nostalgia from when I first started playing the game and the world seemed so huge and difficult to move around in.

More people need to buy this. There isn't a dearth of fans like there was for Tenchu 4, another great underappreciated Wii/PSP game, but this game is seriously great. I enjoyed it more than the Pikmin games (tho, I wouldn't 100% agree with that comparison; just using it since others did).

*cheers* Any chance you'll try Tyrant Mode? What'd you think of the endgame?

And, man, I must be spending too much time in the world and speaking with my citizens. I'm at 25 and I'm only halfway done. That's about the same as last time, for me.

dani_dc

cosmicblizzard said:
Damn, that fight with
TV Dinnah
was really long. It was awesome, but I went in with only 1 heart left on the king and I didn't save in a while, so I didn't want to just restart. Those 3 color bullets or whatever they were kept killing me.

You're allowed to restart the boss fight if you lose, at least in the European version.

ZAK

Ever be around right when the washups appear (at 8, I think)? They appear standing up, then go to lie down on the beach. :lol Lazy bastards.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Beat the Onii King and stopped the day after
The world opens up

I took a couple quests, but one of them is annoying. It's a timed one, and I can't figure out how to reach the proper spot on the map. All the quest is is that a some guys showed up and I need to go fight, but I spent the first day wandering around. I can get close to the dot, but there's always a barrier in my way, it seems.

Edit: I know this was vague, but any help would be appreciated.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Today i conquered the three kingdoms on the other side of the Boney Tunnel. they were really something especially
the Land of Worrywarts
which put an eerie perspective on the concepts of me razing the known world to simply control it. i also love that with the conquering of those three kingdoms, we're now taking on immigrants and refugees from those former kingdoms.
also, taking TV Dinnah's little sister as my bride was yet another trollface moment in this game. SOOOO awesome. heck, i still visit Duvroc because his daughter, Princess Bouquet keeps telling me to visit him.

i think after i finish the game and start again for TYRANT MODE i want to start a twitter for Corobo and his thoughts as i play through the game. would anyone follow that?

billy.sea

Banned
This game brings back my memory of the type of games Nintendo made back in the days. The kind of charm one would only find in Nintendo games.

I went to Gamestop today with my GF (who preordered the game there) and when I asked whether they had moved any copies the clerk said that only one person besides us had picked one up. :(

Then he suggested Overlord: Dark Legend to me, noting that even though it's not the 360 or PS3 version it's "still supposed to be alright" and started telling me about how the Wii "isn't a system for gamers". :p

AniHawk

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I went to Gamestop today with my GF (who preordered the game there) and when I asked whether they had moved any copies the clerk said that only one person besides us had picked one up. :(

Then he suggested Overlord: Dark Legend to me, noting that even though it's not the 360 or PS3 version it's "still supposed to be alright" and started telling me about how the Wii "isn't a system for gamers". :p

Then you calmly picked up the pen next to him and slowly drove it into his throat.

AniHawk said:
Then you calmly picked up the pen next to him and slowly drove it into his throat.
Me: I'm going to have to disagree.

Him: Do you own a 360 or PS3? Because I guarantee you would play them way more.

Me:

other_facePlain.gif

Olaeh

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Me: I'm going to have to disagree.

Him: Do you own a 360 or PS3? Because I guarantee you would play them way more.

Me:

other_facePlain.gif

Heh, I have a 360 and still play the Wii more. Your Gamestop sounds like the ones here... These guys think "hardcore gaming" is the Force Unleashed, GTA, and Madden. That games like LKS are 'kids' games (they've never heard of it, just judging by the boxart and that its on Wii).

Edit-- but yes, Little King's Story is a blast =)

billy.sea said:
This game brings back my memory of the type of games Nintendo made back in the days. The kind of charm one would only find in Nintendo games.
the whole world map reminds me a lot of a link to the past/link's awakening's, not only are there always new secrets to uncover, the attention to detail is just amazing!

Haunted

Damn, finished in 22 hours with sidequests? That's extremely fast, I easily spent over 40 hours on my first playthrough.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
lol

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
GrotesqueBeauty said:

ugh, i hate that.

nothing worse than a real life game forum "discussion". :(

what happens on the internet, stays on the internet thank you very much. keep your fanboy shit zipped up in real life.

zigg

Scrow said:
ugh, i hate that.

nothing worse than a real life game forum "discussion". :(

Yeah, at least on the Internet I know exactly what threads to avoid. :lol Hard to avoid when you've got to deal with someone in real life.

The Onii king went down last night. I had a lot of dead weight (four archers without arrows) but did okay anyway. Haven't seen the ensuing festivities etc. yet; that's for tonight.

I doubt I'm gonna finish in 22 hours. It doesn't help, I guess, that I love to just go out and kill stuff for money. :D

GhaleonQ said:
*cheers* Any chance you'll try Tyrant Mode? What'd you think of the endgame?

And, man, I must be spending too much time in the world and speaking with my citizens. I'm at 25 and I'm only halfway done. That's about the same as last time, for me.

I don't know if I'll try Tyrant Mode right away. I had less than 10 people die in the game I played, and I still remembered who they were and how they died. I can't imagine how many names I would need to remember in Tyrant mode.

as for the endgame:
I chose Verde to take with me, because was nice enough to let me keep the 9990,000 gold I said she was worth, and took off with a good varied force of units. The part where you had to dodge things in the ship took me by surprise and I lost two people (I lost Aiden, a farmer, but luckily I had two farmers with me and Caden was still able to help during the boss). The book that explains all the characters was so charming and sad. Howser was the king's dead grandpa :(

The final boss wasn't too bad, but I wish I knew it would be all combat since, other than my farmer, I had a lot of job units that didn't have much use. The ending was hilarious when you see the real you pick up the rat and toss him out the window like it was nothing :lol I wonder what the tyrant mode ending does add, though. One thing I want to know is if I accidently killed Verde by picking her now. At least I was able to make her royalty for a bit, which seemed like her dream based on the credits!

btw, if you look through the telescope on the huge moutnain, you can still the corners of the box. I thought that was really neat, but also made me realize what was going to happen.

and I spent a lot of time talking with citizens too. I went around and tried to find as many people in love as I could. I spent a good 20 minutes just looking for
The Doctor. I donated all tht money to the school, they tell me he's in glamour town, and I can't find him there.

Haunted said:
Damn, finished in 22 hours with sidequests? That's extremely fast, I easily spent over 40 hours on my first playthrough.

not all the sidequets, and I definetly wasn't rushing. The biggest side quest I didn't do was
finding the songs

oh, and did the people who played the European game have different art in the game? what was the
art boss fight
like for you guys?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Linkzg said:
I spent a good 20 minutes just looking for
The Doctor. I donated all that money to the school, they tell me he's in glamour town, and I can't find him there.

There's a
hospital
opposite the
theatre
. Go knock on the door.

zigg

I'm not really getting attached to my cannon fodder—I mean, citizenry. Well, except the few that are really good, I guess, with the higher HP and all. I generally only mourn the loss of the good soldiers, the expensively-trained guys, and the somewhat-hard-to-come-by children.

In fact, I am sort of considering turning some of my extra-whiny subjects back into carefrees and tossing them at the nearest hard-to-kill Uma.

Howser
's apparently evil plans have got nothin' on me. :D

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How, exactly, do you get people to fall in love? I just defeated the
Onii king
, and I still don't see any citizens with hearts over their heads. Should I be mixing male and female characters in with my war party? Does it matter if they are the same profession?

zigg

FlyinJ said:
How, exactly, do you get people to fall in love? I just defeated the
Onii king
, and I still don't see any citizens with hearts over their heads. Should I be mixing male and female characters in with my war party? Does it matter if they are the same profession?

My two couples thus far were grunts, and I believe both sets worked together a lot.
I've seen my ticker say that the team members like each other more, so I think that might be a prerequisite for love?

One set I saw scroll across my ticker, so I dismissed, grabbed them both, and tossed them in. I turned around and saw another couple sitting on a bench with hearts and all, so I tossed them in next.

Well this sucks.

I get the game from Amazong today, complete with little stress-ball guy, I put it in my Wii, it whirrs up...

*click click click*

It tries again

*click click click*

disc read error. Goddamnit. First problem my launch Wii has ever given me. So, I search this forum, it happened to one other person. Then I just google it, several people have had this problem. Now, I've checked several other games to make sure they work (SSBB, since it had issues before, Mario Kart, Madworld, Wii Fit, Dokapon Kingdom), and they did. LKS is the ONLY game giving me issues, and the disc is brand new. Heck, I even turned it on its side to see if that would help, no dice. Unplugged, reset, everything. Heck, I even updated the firmware from 4.0 to whatever it is now.

This really sucks, I was totally looking forward to playing it. I guess I'll email Xseed or something.

zigg

Clearly the awesome of Little King's Story is not containable within a mere dual-layer disc and must instead be spread across an unprecedented triple-layer disc.

(Seriously though, sorry, that sucks. Hope you get it worked out.)

What's the point of flower houses?

I keep accidentally throwing people in there to collect taxes only to have my royal guard now indistinguishable from each other.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
ShockingAlberto said:
What's the point of flower houses?

I keep accidentally throwing people in there to collect taxes only to have my royal guard now indistinguishable from each other.

You can throw people into houses to collect taxes? Is this something that unlocks later?

Eteric Rice

Jonny The Pie King said:
Well this sucks.

I get the game from Amazong today, complete with little stress-ball guy, I put it in my Wii, it whirrs up...

*click click click*

It tries again

*click click click*

disc read error. Goddamnit. First problem my launch Wii has ever given me. So, I search this forum, it happened to one other person. Then I just google it, several people have had this problem. Now, I've checked several other games to make sure they work (SSBB, since it had issues before, Mario Kart, Madworld, Wii Fit, Dokapon Kingdom), and they did. LKS is the ONLY game giving me issues, and the disc is brand new. Heck, I even turned it on its side to see if that would help, no dice. Unplugged, reset, everything. Heck, I even updated the firmware from 4.0 to whatever it is now.

This really sucks, I was totally looking forward to playing it. I guess I'll email Xseed or something.

Try getting one of those disc cleaning kits from Gamestop.

Eteric Rice said:
Try getting one of those disc cleaning kits from Gamestop.

i think there might be a problem with this particular disc. i've never had this problem with the wii (knocks on wood), but on my 360, it happened with blue dragon disc 2. my friend's same disc worked fine on my machine, so i suspect i was just stuck with a defective disc...

FlyinJ said:
You can throw people into houses to collect taxes? Is this something that unlocks later?
you can do that as soon as you have houses and people to throw around.

upandaway

FlyinJ said:
It's something you discover.

Each house gives you 1-4k if I remember right, so it's really not a big deal.
If you have like 20 people following you, and you throw them all inside quickly, they each fetch their own tax, which can build up with all the houses, but I don't know. I haven't tried but it might hurt your reputation, logically.

Top Bottom