• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

zigg

ShockingAlberto said:
What's the point of flower houses?

I keep accidentally throwing people in there to collect taxes only to have my royal guard now indistinguishable from each other.

I'd be interested to know if any bonuses or what not are afforded from this, but I was content to merely laugh when it happened to me last night.

upandaway said:
Each house gives you 1-4k if I remember right, so it's really not a big deal.

Except that it's fun. :D

Luigison

FlyinJ said:
How, exactly, do you get people to fall in love? I just defeated the
Onii king
, and I still don't see any citizens with hearts over their heads. Should I be mixing male and female characters in with my war party? Does it matter if they are the same profession?
If you are having trouble knowing when they are in love just
throw your whole group in the church at once. Change the citizens and do it again
. Soon you'll be overrun with children
that can be turned into to adults

upandaway said:
Each house gives you 1-4k if I remember right, so it's really not a big deal.
If you have like 20 people following you, and you throw them all inside quickly, they each fetch their own tax, which can build up with all the houses, but I don't know. I haven't tried but it might hurt your reputation, logically.
Some houses pay a lot more than that. Keep expanding the kingdoms plans.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Jonny The Pie King said:
Well this sucks.

I get the game from Amazong today, complete with little stress-ball guy, I put it in my Wii, it whirrs up...

*click click click*

It tries again

*click click click*

disc read error. Goddamnit. First problem my launch Wii has ever given me. So, I search this forum, it happened to one other person. Then I just google it, several people have had this problem. Now, I've checked several other games to make sure they work (SSBB, since it had issues before, Mario Kart, Madworld, Wii Fit, Dokapon Kingdom), and they did. LKS is the ONLY game giving me issues, and the disc is brand new. Heck, I even turned it on its side to see if that would help, no dice. Unplugged, reset, everything. Heck, I even updated the firmware from 4.0 to whatever it is now.

This really sucks, I was totally looking forward to playing it. I guess I'll email Xseed or something.

It may be the disc. I have a single game in my Wii collection that makes my Wii squeal and click like no other : Tales of Symphonia : Dawn Of The New World. No idea why either, it's always quiet with every other game I own. :(

Haunted

Man, I taxed the shit out of my citizens in Royal City. If I'd have lived there during "my" tenure as king, I'd fucking rebel. 20+ soldiers storming my house everyday, taking all my money. :mad:

ShockingAlberto said:
What's the point of flower houses?

I keep accidentally throwing people in there to collect taxes only to have my royal guard now indistinguishable from each other.
But the hats look so pretty~

First place my gf went to when she got her hands on the controller, I hated it.

zigg

Apparently the hats vanish if you have a festival, or if the hat-wearer dies. I've got a festival pending, so...

I was entertaining the notion of hatting all my citizens, actually. :D

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
vanguardian1 said:
It may be the disc. I have a single game in my Wii collection that makes my Wii squeal and click like no other : Tales of Symphonia : Dawn Of The New World. No idea why either, it's always quiet with every other game I own. :(

I believe LKS is a dual layered disc. Dual layered discs tend to make your Wii run louder and what not. Super Smash Bros Brawl is also a dual layered disc, and it grinds and whines like theres not tomorrow.

Eteric Rice said:
Try getting one of those disc cleaning kits from Gamestop.

But it's a NEW disc, nothing on it.

vanguardian1 said:

Well, I'd be fine with noise if it worked. I mean, the Wii is definitely trying, but it can't quite get it. But yeah, tried out dual layered discs (SSBB), and it works just fine. Actually, that game isn't really that loud either.

Hopefully I won't have to send my Wii in for one game :\

zigg

There is also a $10 Nintendo-branded lens-cleaning kit you can try, available at most stores. Has more applicators than anyone should ever need to use in it. :)

But yeah, if you're not having any trouble at all with anything else, I'd start with XSEED. Maybe there was a disc pressing problem.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Jangaroo said:
I believe LKS is a dual layered disc. Dual layered discs tend to make your Wii run louder and what not. Super Smash Bros Brawl is also a dual layered disc, and it grinds and whines like theres not tomorrow.

I rented SSBB when it came out, it was as quiet with that as any other disc in my collection. Whereas TOS:DOTNW has, since the day I bought it, made excessive clicking and squealing sounds in my Wii.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Re: Marriage - at the end of a day of adventuring I just toss everyone in my Royal Guard into the church. Pretty much every tie two people got close enough during that day to be willing to tie the knot.

sonicmj1

While I was playing Little King's Story, my disk has definitely whined a bit, and once the game nearly froze completely as it was tabulating my spoils. Fortunately, it broke out of its funk, but I'm a bit concerned going forward.

I beat the frog boss, and now I'm trying to decide whether I should expand deeper into the Onii King's territory or head further up towards the Mushroom area, where I feel certain that a boss awaits.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
sonicmj1 said:
While I was playing Little King's Story, my disk has definitely whined a bit, and once the game nearly froze completely as it was tabulating my spoils. Fortunately, it broke out of its funk, but I'm a bit concerned going forward.

I beat the frog boss, and now I'm trying to decide whether I should expand deeper into the Onii King's territory or head further up towards the Mushroom area, where I feel certain that a boss awaits.

Might want to go beat the Onii King first. The game literally opens up from there and you'll have a whole bunch of things to do from that point.

Jonny The Pie King said:
Well this sucks.

I get the game from Amazong today, complete with little stress-ball guy, I put it in my Wii, it whirrs up...

*click click click*

It tries again

*click click click*

disc read error. Goddamnit. First problem my launch Wii has ever given me. So, I search this forum, it happened to one other person. Then I just google it, several people have had this problem. Now, I've checked several other games to make sure they work (SSBB, since it had issues before, Mario Kart, Madworld, Wii Fit, Dokapon Kingdom), and they did. LKS is the ONLY game giving me issues, and the disc is brand new. Heck, I even turned it on its side to see if that would help, no dice. Unplugged, reset, everything. Heck, I even updated the firmware from 4.0 to whatever it is now.

This really sucks, I was totally looking forward to playing it. I guess I'll email Xseed or something.

You're probably talking about me. I had this problem.

Pretty sure it was the disc. I could use any of my other games, just not this one. I went and got another copy of the game and it works fine :D

I got mine from Amazon too. Maybe they had a bad batch? Or maybe they fucked up the disc in shipping. Yours came with the little onii figure right? When mine showed up, it was smashed in there pretty tight, even slightly bending the game box in the back a bit. I was thinking maybe the pressure against the back of the box could have caused some scratching or warping (the package was also pretty warm) so who knows.

Either a shipping or disc issue, I think. Get a new disc, return that one to Amazon.

GDJustin said:
Re: Marriage - at the end of a day of adventuring I just toss everyone in my Royal Guard into the church. Pretty much every tie two people got close enough during that day to be willing to tie the knot.
Incidentally, only two people at a time can get married no matter how many you throw in to the church. So even if 14 out of 17 people in your royal guard can get married, only two will emerge betrothed.

So keep throwing people in even after there's been a wedding.

ZAK

ShockingAlberto said:
Incidentally, only two people at a time can get married no matter how many you throw in to the church. So even if 14 out of 17 people in your royal guard can get married, only two will emerge betrothed.

So keep throwing people in even after there's been a wedding.
I think I've had the opposite happen... I threw a bunch of people in, they came out married, and I started to walk away and then another marriage started...

Koomaster

People who are having trouble with their disc and got it from Amazon, they just put this message up on the product page...

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
So I would contact them before e-mailing Xseed or thinking there is a problem with your Wii.

Koomaster said:
People who are having trouble with their disc and got it from Amazon, they just put this message up on the product page...

That can't be good for Xseed or Marvelous. Hopefully it won't be a big problem.

I've had a few problems myself. Sometimes the music will just stop for an entire area. It also sounds like the Wii is having a problem reading it at times. It hasn't really been that bad though.

timetokill said:
You're probably talking about me. I had this problem.

Pretty sure it was the disc. I could use any of my other games, just not this one. I went and got another copy of the game and it works fine :D

I got mine from Amazon too. Maybe they had a bad batch? Or maybe they fucked up the disc in shipping. Yours came with the little onii figure right? When mine showed up, it was smashed in there pretty tight, even slightly bending the game box in the back a bit. I was thinking maybe the pressure against the back of the box could have caused some scratching or warping (the package was also pretty warm) so who knows.

Either a shipping or disc issue, I think. Get a new disc, return that one to Amazon.

You just described my copy EXACTLY :lol . I actually got out some canned air and cleaned out the disc drive, and low and behold, the game was recognized on the wii menu. It then got another error immediately after starting the game :(

I was checking around my area, and it doesn't seem like any store near me is carrying the game (or at least has it yet). I guess I'll ship my copy back to Amazon and wait however long to get a new one.

ugh.

Well, maybe I'll beat Persona 4 in that time :lol

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just wanted to say, I think this game looks really cool. I wasn't actually intending to buy it... on the fence, so many games out/backlog, etc... but I went to Best Buy to get Resort an M+, and decided to screw it and get it anyway...

And the store didn't have it. Any (if ever). Best Buy in NYC. Yikes.
Oh well.

AniHawk

Game's all right. It seems a little frustrating in spots, and yeah, pointer controls would have been so great (along with other stuff related to the controls and selection and whatnot).

On my way to the second kingdom. About 4-5 hours sunk into this so far.

GhaleonQ said:
www.siliconera.com/2009/07/29/kimura-san-you-just-said-super-little-kings-story/?dsq=13648803

Little King's Story 2, not developed by the same combination of people... Interesting.
LOVE-DE-LIC REUNION, PLEASE
Alice Liang 's almost done, apparently, and Anthony Gallegos and Matt Chandronait are super-positive about it.
Worried about the developer change, but I'll buy it twice.

Anihawk said:
I like that the first comment is "I'D BUY IT IF IT WAS IN HD"
Not just HD, "HD".

Jonny The Pie King said:
You just described my copy EXACTLY :lol . I actually got out some canned air and cleaned out the disc drive, and low and behold, the game was recognized on the wii menu. It then got another error immediately after starting the game :(

I was checking around my area, and it doesn't seem like any store near me is carrying the game (or at least has it yet). I guess I'll ship my copy back to Amazon and wait however long to get a new one.

ugh.

Well, maybe I'll beat Persona 4 in that time :lol

Heh, I tried all sorts of stuff. Wiping the disc gently to try and clean imaginary scratches and things :lol

I also found something interesting... when I put the Wii horizontally, the disc wouldn't even be recognized. The Wii would basically crash on the menu. But when I put the Wii vertically, the Wii would recognize the game, and the channel could be selected... only to have it crash right after clicking "Start."

But yeah, get a new copy :) Hopefully another store near you gets a copy soon.

mclem

To be fair to the HD-criers, I do get the impression with this game that it was designed in such a way that it could quite easily be ported to a different console without having to rethink the control scheme all that much.

I don't think it's something they'd *do*, but I suspect they built the game in such a way as to leave that option open.

zigg

Still just the Onii King down for me, I've been questin'.

Wow, I had a lot of trouble with the
King Game Club
quest—there was
a fireball-shooting scarecrow and what looked like a bunch of sentient watermelons
. My death benefit payout for the day ended up bigger than my spoils! Doesn't seem quite right that it was a one-star quest (it was one star, wasn't it?)

Am I screwing myself by holding off on other upgrades (like
Weapons Research
) till I can buy the
Shopping Arcade
and get myself some
Savvy Merchants
? It's just that those
giant purses
are calling to me...

mclem said:
To be fair to the HD-criers, I do get the impression with this game that it was designed in such a way that it could quite easily be ported to a different console without having to rethink the control scheme all that much.

I don't think it's something they'd *do*, but I suspect they built the game in such a way as to leave that option open.
if it doesn't sell enough copies on the wii, i rather they port it to psn and/or xbla then at least there might be hope for a sequal, and i'll buy it twice or trice!

zigg said:

King Game Club
quest—there was
a fireball-shooting scarecrow and what looked like a bunch of sentient watermelons
. My death benefit payout for the day ended up bigger than my spoils! Doesn't seem quite right that it was a one-star quest (it was one star, wasn't it?)

Weapons Research
) till I can buy the
Shopping Arcade
and get myself some
Savvy Merchants
? It's just that those
giant purses
are calling to me...

don't get the merchants yet, they are not worth it at this point. later in the game you will have more bols and more opportunities to farm bols at a faster pace, get the shop upgrade then.
the scarecrow guy, just dodge his blue fireballs then you'll be fine, try running in circles to avoid them.

Effect

Got the game a few days ago and so far enjoying it. Though the camera system is really annoying and I wish I could decide where buildings are place but with the way the areas change once new buildings are place I can understand why they didn't allow that control. They want things to look a certain way and I can accept that. The Church of Soup was funny though. I wish the citizens were nameless to be honest. The fact that they have names and I can talk to them makes me feel a bit when one is kill in battle because I didn't recall them quick enough. I do like that soldiers will tell you they are patrolling when you don't pull them into your party but simply speak to them.

Can't wait till I get access to the cow cannon. :)

kottila

zigg said:

King Game Club
quest—there was

Weapons Research
) till I can buy the
Shopping Arcade
and get myself some
Savvy Merchants
? It's just that those
giant purses
are calling to me...

If I remember correctly, the henchmen drop dead after you've killed the scarecrow. So don't bother to much with them

zigg

kottila said:
If I remember correctly, the henchmen drop dead after you've killed the scarecrow. So don't bother to much with them

Nope, they don't... otherwise I wouldn't have lost so many dudes.

I'll seek out the upgrades. Hopefully nearly everyone'll wash up again... *wince*

EzLink

Banned
Heyo, is it worth (sorta spoiler for around the time after you beat the first three kings)
buying that wizard area? It's soooo expensive, but if it means you can train fucking wizards and have them in your party, then I will gladly do it. But I'm not sure if that's what it does

EDIT: Also, what do mega carpenters and giga carpenters do? I mean, I know the game says they can "build things regular carpenters can not", but I haven't seen any type of object that only they exclusively can build. Or do you not need them until later in the game?

farnham

Banned
can anyone tell me why i see dozens of LKS ads on 1up.com and they still have no review up..?

plus still no rune factory frontier review

GhaleonQ

farnham said:
can anyone tell me why i see dozens of LKS ads on 1up.com and they still have no review up..?

Alice Liang (and Anthony Gallegos, for that matter) are playing through the whole thing and, presumably, doing some of the side quests. They also didn't get (or start) the game early.

GhaleonQ said:
www.siliconera.com/2009/07/29/kimura-san-you-just-said-super-little-kings-story/?dsq=13648803

Little King's Story 2, not developed by the same combination of people... Interesting.
LOVE-DE-LIC REUNION, PLEASE
Alice Liang 's almost done, apparently, and Anthony Gallegos and Matt Chandronait are super-positive about it.

That's good that there might be a sequel but I don't know how I feel about different people working on it. I think the all star cast of devs made the game attractive in the first place. If it wasn't for that, it probably would've gotten overlooked as "another kiddy game" (not like it isn't already, just moreso)

EzLink

Banned
Damn it, I just bought the
Wizards play area, and then Liam had a section on Rainbow Wizards in his job tutorial, but I have no fucking clue how to make one. The houses are just flat fakes on stilts, but if you target one of the "buildings" a door icon comes up as if you could enter it. I tried seeing if a child could climb up one of the poles, but no such luck. So anybody have any ideas? Also, where can I build my elevators with my Giga carpenters?

The Hermit

EzLink said:
Wizards play area, and then Liam had a section on Rainbow Wizards in his job tutorial, but I have no fucking clue how to make one. The houses are just flat fakes on stilts, but if you target one of the "buildings" a door icon comes up as if you could enter it. I tried seeing if a child could climb up one of the poles, but no such luck. So anybody have any ideas? Also, where can I build my elevators with my Giga carpenters?

as stated several times in this thread, this job is unique (aka there´s only one) and will only show up after a while (I don´t know what are the specifics, besides building that area)

botticus

Took out a couple guardians tonight; is it just me or are they tougher than the kings? Granted, I've only faced the one king so far, so the others might be trickier.

My general plan at the moment is to take over as much of each area as possible given the quests available before opening up additional areas. Organized expansion.

Well I'll be damned. Even with Amazon's potential warping, the official Nintendo Wii Lens cleaner made the game work.

I'll still send it back to Amazon once I find a copy here though. Case hardly closes, has a nice indent in the back.

botticus said:
Took out a couple guardians tonight; is it just me or are they tougher than the kings? Granted, I've only faced the one king so far, so the others might be trickier.

My general plan at the moment is to take over as much of each area as possible given the quests available before opening up additional areas. Organized expansion.

The guardians kind of lead up to the kings. And the kings just get weirder and have bizarre fight mechanics as you go on.

EzLink said:

Haven't gotten it yet and I'm pretty far in the game (6 kings done) so I can't comment on that, but as for the
giga carpenter, you can build an elevator on the way to the 7th king, but the mega carpenter helped so the description might be off

While we're on the topic of jobs, has anyone else gotten the apparently fabled
steel knight
? I just found him outside the church really late at night and recruited him and everything Liam said about him is true in the tutorial. Are there any more or is there just one because having a whole army of these guys would be ridiculous?

AniHawk

Beat the Shishkebob guy. Fun boss fight, even if it took a couple of tries to kill him. Hated the Duvroc fight. I tried being all strategic about it, but I just wound up zerg-rushing the bitch until he died from it. Only lost three people in the skirmish too.

How do I get people to go from hating the King to loving him? The game has really started to grow on me.

Top Bottom