• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

EzLink

Banned
I just can't stop playing this thing, damn. This is probably the only third party game on a Nintendo platform that has felt like a first party title to me. The charm, depth, and polish is just 100% characterstic of games that Nintendo puts out. I also love the illusion of power I get when expanding my virtual kingdom. Huzzah!

GhaleonQ

Tyrant Mode changes some of the dialogue, too. Basically, once you see the ending, some of the bosses' text gets slightly more philosophical to reflect that. Again, nothing that arty, but elevated.

mclem

cosmicblizzard said:
While we're on the topic of jobs, has anyone else gotten the apparently fabled
steel knight
? I just found him outside the church really late at night and recruited him and everything Liam said about him is true in the tutorial. Are there any more or is there just one because having a whole army of these guys would be ridiculous?

I believe he *is* the
cursed armour you purchased earlier
. Hence there's only one.

mclem said:
I believe he *is* the
cursed armour you purchased earlier
. Hence there's only one.

Damn I had a feeling it was something like that. Well, still worth it after taking a quarter of the health of those damn moving Onii that teleport everywhere (forget what it's called).

botticus

AniHawk said:
Beat the Shishkebob guy. Fun boss fight, even if it took a couple of tries to kill him. Hated the Duvroc fight. I tried being all strategic about it, but I just wound up zerg-rushing the bitch until he died from it. Only lost three people in the skirmish too.

How do I get people to go from hating the King to loving him? The game has really started to grow on me.
I've noticed that usually whatever small number hate you will change their mind when you beat a guardian or king, or at least I assume that the two events are somewhat related.

Otherwise, it's also been effective to put them in your party and run around with them for a bit.

GhaleonQ said:
Tyrant Mode changes some of the dialogue, too. Basically, once you see the ending, some of the bosses' text gets slightly more philosophical to reflect that. Again, nothing that arty, but elevated.

is there a video or summary of what the changed ending is?

AniHawk said:
Beat the Shishkebob guy. Fun boss fight, even if it took a couple of tries to kill him. Hated the Duvroc fight. I tried being all strategic about it, but I just wound up zerg-rushing the bitch until he died from it. Only lost three people in the skirmish too.

How do I get people to go from hating the King to loving him? The game has really started to grow on me.
i think once you get upgraded soldiers, duvroc will be cake. i didn't have any of those, so i ended up reworking my strategy a couple of times to take him down. i beat him with 9/17 people, 5 grunts and 4 archers.

Luigison

Twilight Princess said:
i think once you get upgraded soldiers, duvroc will be cake. i didn't have any of those, so i ended up reworking my strategy a couple of times to take him down. i beat him with 9/17 people, 5 grunts and 4 archers.
Anyone else beat a boss with just Little King? It took a while, but I didn't want to have to do so much stuff over.
Luigison said:
Holy Freak! I just beat Duvroc with Little King. It took *forever and was super intense. I'd got him down to about half his life with soldiers, hunters, and diggers, but they all died. So I had to finish him with just Little King. I noticed a few things that could be glitches too. Early in the battle I killed two of the little Onii, but they just laid down and never disappeared until after I'd killed Duvroc. When finishing Duvroc with Little King I noticed that the life meter went down very very little with each hit. Eventually there was apparently no life meter left, but it took about twenty or so more hits to finally kill him. Shew.. I was beginning to think I couldn't finish him with just Little King. After killing him I wasn't unable to collect the present that was just to the right of the stand.

*For the sake of this post: Forever equals a couple of hours. I think that was the most intense battle every. I must have held my breath and stopped blinking at times. Afterwards I had a little headache and my heart was racing. I had that feeling you get when you almost have a car wreck or fall off from a great height. Must have been a combination of adrenaline and the energy juice I'd had earlier.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just started playing this, beat the cow so far... not much for RTS games (in fact I hate them), but I guess the fact that this is a lot more streamlined helps. Can't wait till it opens up a bit more!

zigg

I remember complaints about stairs and the tendency for your Guard to fall off the sides, and wanted to share what I figured out a couple nights ago to help with the situation (at least until you get the alternative formations which are supposed to help... I didn't play last night, so I don't have those yet.)

Turn your targeting line on and aim it up the stairs, then mash A to toss your citizenry up them right down the middle. As soon as you're out of dudes to toss, run up the stairs yourself. They should all fall in line without dropping off the sides.

zigg said:
I remember complaints about stairs and the tendency for your Guard to fall off the sides, and wanted to share what I figured out a couple nights ago to help with the situation (at least until you get the alternative formations which are supposed to help... I didn't play last night, so I don't have those yet.)

Turn your targeting line on and aim it up the stairs, then mash A to toss your citizenry up them right down the middle. As soon as you're out of dudes to toss, run up the stairs yourself. They should all fall in line without dropping off the sides.

You can also set them to Evade Formation and that'll help.

Mekere

Actually he has one. Use the C button to make him hit with his scepter that's very useful when you want him to destroy jars but not very effective in a fight.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I remember it being addressed several pages back, but now I can't find it - how in the world do you deal with the circling Onii?

There's two onii circling a chicken-thing, and I'm finding these little dudes more dangerous than the guardians, even. The circling guys ensure I can't use any soldiers or other melee units. The chicken spits a projectile that pwns my archers.

After 3 resets I did manage to kill him by just spamming archers and spacing them out so the chicken's projectile would only hit 1-2, but I still lost some soldiers.

It's also hard to get the archers to target JUST the chicken, because the targeting system keeps insisting on targeting the onii instead...

Mekere

GDJustin said:
I remember it being addressed several pages back, but now I can't find it - how in the world do you deal with the circling Onii?

There's two onii circling a chicken-thing, and I'm finding these little dudes more dangerous than the guardians, even. The circling guys ensure I can't use any soldiers or other melee units. The chicken spits a projectile that pwns my archers.

After 3 resets I did manage to kill him by just spamming archers and spacing them out so the chicken's projectile would only hit 1-2, but I still lost some soldiers.

It's also hard to get the archers to target JUST the chicken, because the targeting system keeps insisting on targeting the onii instead...

If I'm not mistaken, there is a certain class that can break the oniionring. Try your miner or lumberjack on them, eventually you'll find the right one. Without the ring they will be easy to kill and you'll be able to use your cook on the chicken.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Mekere said:
If I'm not mistaken, there is a certain class that can break the oniionring. Try your miner or lumberjack on them, eventually you'll find the right one. Without the ring they will be easy to kill and you'll be able to use your cook on the chicken.

I don't have miners yet. There was a sign by the chicken that suggested miners, too.

Seems weird the game would give me a quest that was very hard for me to complete.

I also have a timed kill quest that wants me to go to an area I can't access, yet -_-

GDJustin said:
I don't have miners yet. There was a sign by the chicken that suggested miners, too.

Seems weird the game would give me a quest that was very hard for me to complete.

I also have a timed kill quest that wants me to go to an area I can't access, yet -_-
i killed the chicken with 2 archers, farmed arrows beforehand and it took a bit of time to wear him down.

Mekere

GDJustin said:

Don't bother too much with these quests. If you see you can't do them in time just put them aside and do them again later. The only important quests that helps you progress in the game are the guardians quests. These ones must be your priority, the other ones are there for bols or meeting some new monsters for your collection.

GDJustin said:

It can be beaten if you just firebomb soldiers at the chicken until some stick to it and kill it, because you can't kill the onion ring onii when they're circling an object (invincibility). Really hard to do it this way though. The real reason it's a one star job is
when you get the cook class they can kill all fowl in one hit.

ZAK

Luigison said:
Anyone else beat a boss with just Little King? It took a while, but I didn't want to have to do so much stuff over.
I could have, but it's way too tedious. I suicide if it comes to that. It's not really surprising that it's possible... The king is super maneuverable compared to an army, so it shouldn't be hard to avoid attacks while getting a few hits in.

GDJustin said:

I killed that first chicken with archers too, but I retreated out of its way whenever it was about to spit crap at them. Why wouldn't you protect your troops like that, you heartless tyrant??

The chicken can be killed with anything, but it's not advisable.

Make a chef. You just need one.

His sole duty is killing chickens. That is all he does well, but he does it in one hit. You can't really go through sunflower plains without him.

As for the spinning onii around a Fried Federation UMA, they can't be hurt and they won't leave unless the thing they're guarding is dead.

Just beat it. Much more philosophical ending than I was expecting. This game's art style is incredibly deceptive. Either way, this is by far the best game I've played all year. With the holiday lineup moved to 2010, I'd be incredibly surprised if this isn't my goty.

So should I go for the extra ending in Tyrant mode? I had a lot of trouble in normal mode, so I might get slaughtered if it's a giant jump in difficulty. Is the ending worth it?

Edit: Didn't realize this was only for the U.S. version. There might not be any people here who even saw the new ending yet. Guess I'll go for it.

Artanisix

I don't know if I just suck or if I'm just slow or what, but man... Just killed King Duvroc at 9 hours into the game :lol I am seriously having such a blast with this game. I LOVE collecting money, love building up my army, love breeding millions of children... Love all the little sidequests. I am absolutely in love. Hopefully the game keeps giving!

justchris

Artanisix said:
I don't know if I just suck or if I'm just slow or what, but man... Just killed King Duvroc at 9 hours into the game :lol I am seriously having such a blast with this game. I LOVE collecting money, love building up my army, love breeding millions of children... Love all the little sidequests. I am absolutely in love. Hopefully the game keeps giving!

Don't feel bad, I'm about the same amount of time in and I just beat the Onii King, but I'm doing what I always do in these types of games, exploring and building my base. So far I've only gotten 5 of my poor citizens killed, 4 fighting that damn frog and 1 because she fell off a cliff (and she'd just gotten married, too :( Hope she washes up on the beach).

botticus

Is there any way to avoid wasting side quests? For the second time, I've accepted a quest in an area that I have open to me, only to find that it's in an inaccessible area (behind rocks, fences, etc). At this rate I'm going to have to stop accepting quests until I know every possible spot in the target area is open.

Suppose that means it's time to work my way down the path to Duvroc.

Oh, one goofy thing that I guess could be considered a bug: the same couple can get married multiple times. I've had to stop the method of tossing my whole party into the church just because by now I have 6 couples in my regular party of 15!

Artanisix said:
Duvroc takes a while to get to simply because there's SO much shit between you and him. Corobuckles, Onii leaders, vase throwers, chickens, it takes a long time to get to him.

I think I beat him at day 45 or so.

billy.sea

Banned
I love Pikmin but didn't really know how you could improve on that formula. This game seems to show how to improve on it. (city building, better story, more classes etc) I would love the next Pikmin to do something like this game but retain the puzzle elements of that series.

Even though there are many control and interface issues with this game, the charm and addictive gameplay make me forgive it.

So far it is this game and SF4 for GOTY for me.

I love it so far but I'm at the point where lots of things have opened up and you get tons of requests and i'm in a rush to beat them and feel overwhelmed. In my zeal a lot of people have died and where I should've got a lot of money it was mostly wasted. I guess I should just take on a quest at a time. If they expire will they come back?

billy.sea

Banned
robut said:
I love it so far but I'm at the point where lots of things have opened up and you get tons of requests and i'm in a rush to beat them and feel overwhelmed. In my zeal a lot of people have died and where I should've got a lot of money it was mostly wasted. I guess I should just take on a quest at a time. If they expire will they come back?

I don't think people should worry too much about the small quest. I was worry too at first for missing it or unable to beat it. But later realize many quests repeat itself with the same enemy at the same location, only with a different letter attach to it when it notify you a quest is available. So they are simply there to let you make more money.

zigg

AceBandage said:
You can also set them to Evade Formation and that'll help.

Yeah, this was before I had the chance to pick that up. Anyway, just an early tip for the like two people who haven't already been playing the game hardcore for a couple weeks.

botticus

Okay, I think I must be missing something. I'm hitting a dead end everywhere I go after beating the Onii king. Fences, rocks or natural barriers block my path in the Dark Valley, Turnip Forest and Wavy Rock Forest, and those seem to be the only route to the next areas.

Also had my first real death. Caleb's fellow grunt wife got caught in the middle of some rogue turnips after we took out one of the sidequest targets. For better or worse, I think I'm the only one that cares in town. Caleb's ready to go take on Duvroc.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
botticus said:
Okay, I think I must be missing something. I'm hitting a dead end everywhere I go after beating the Onii king. Fences, rocks or natural barriers block my path in the Dark Valley, Turnip Forest and Wavy Rock Forest, and those seem to be the only route to the next areas.

Also had my first real death. Caleb's fellow grunt wife got caught in the middle of some rogue turnips after we took out one of the sidequest targets. For better or worse, I think I'm the only one that cares in town. Caleb's ready to go take on Duvroc.

Don't forget to attend Caleb's funeral if you haven't already. 6:00PM I believe.

billy.sea

Banned
I have funeral almost every other day in the game :lol ... and I never go to the funeral.
I am surprise so many people are attached to each little minion. I can barely remember 1 or 2 names.

Oxx

There's actually a funeral!?

I kept going into the church, but nothing happened.

Still, I only lost one citizen in my play-through, so my funeral-snubbing wasn't exactly a regular occurrence.

I'M SORRY TABITH!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
billy.sea said:
I have funeral almost every other day in the game :lol ... and I never go to the funeral.
I am surprise so many people are attached to each little minion. I can barely remember 1 or 2 names.
same in terms of most of the names, but i always remember my fallen. i've only had two brave soldiers fall permanently under my command so far, so it's easier i suppose: a dedicated grunt by the name of Adrian whom i've already mourned and one of my elite hardened soldiers by the name of Maloha. it was actually quite the shock to lose her. i had thought my Dragoons were near invincible against any ordinary enemy, but she was taken down by the
Onii's carrying the dragon tail in one hit

so far i've been held back by the 7th king. the final stage is crazy balls hard. any tips? i know how to take down all of the stuff in the way, it's just sending the right unit out at the right time that's the most difficult. i almost had him down to zero, but then
one of those sweet bearing Oniis escaped my notice and powered him up again
. not long after that the power went for a bit from the flash storms we've been getting up in the NYC metro area, so i decided to put it aside for now. i don't really have the time to dedicate to this game as of right now, so i've put it on the side until i can get some more time on my hands.

Oxx said:
There's actually a funeral!?

I kept going into the church, but nothing happened.

Still, I only lost one citizen in my play-through, so my funeral-snubbing wasn't exactly a regular occurrence.

I'M SORRY TABITH!
you have to go to the cemetery in the back of the church. the service starts promptly at 6, though it's best to show up early to talk to the mourners...

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
g/f and I are loving the game. She can't stop playing. She's a pikmin fan, so I thought she would love it.

zigg

botticus said:

I know what you mean, this took me awhile too, though I did have a lot of fun in Wavy Rock. :D
Go back into the Onii king's arena, then exit on the left side (the camera doesn't move, so it's always out the left). That'll get you to Sunflower Plains and onward!

doomed1 said:
you have to go to the cemetery in the back of the church. the service starts promptly at 6, though it's best to show up early to talk to the mourners...

This is nice to know. Did anyone tell you this? Because I talked to a couple mourners and nobody cared enough to share the time or the place with me.

Oxx

doomed1 said:

This shocking news is almost enough to make me play through it again.

by the sounds of it i think i'd like this game... hopefully i can pick it up sometime soon... so many good games to be playing on wii!! I just beat chapter 1 of monkey island with my step son.. his first monkey island experience at age 10.. he loved it :) can't wait for chapter two next!@

zigg

I've got it in my head that my popularity is partially based on who I leave puttering about town (they get bored) vs. who I take with me (they get excited about doin' stuff). Does this seem like a good guess?

hellclerk

zigg said:
This is nice to know. Did anyone tell you this? Because I talked to a couple mourners and nobody cared enough to share the time or the place with me.
no, for Adrian's funeral they just said "we're having the funeral tonite/this evening" or something like that. basically, i wandered about for a little while, grabbed a couple of soldiers who weren't in black, collected some taxes and made my first hardened soldiers. i kind of just wandered around for a while, and then around 4 or 5 came around, some of the citizens in black started walking towards the church. i just followed them to the cemetery where we had the service. it's too bad they didn't give me the option of giving a eulogy or something like that, or even the lowering of the body into the grave. it would have been something ridiculously more surreal...

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
ShockingAlberto said:
That is all he does well, but he does it in one hit. You can't really go through sunflower plains without him.

Howser is telling me to go to Sunflower Plains next, but I don't have chefs or miners available yet. I can wipe out chickens slowly with archers, but I'm not sure I can advance to the next boss without a miner. I've bought everything available (up through the merchant), when do they show up?

hellclerk

INTERNET said:
Howser is telling me to go to Sunflower Plains next, but I don't have chefs or miners available yet. I can wipe out chickens slowly with archers, but I'm not sure I can advance to the next boss without a miner. I've bought everything available (up through the merchant), when do they show up?
you can do without the miner. i managed to avoid it until after i bead Duvroc. i would suggest expanding north of the west end where the archers are and defeat the
giant mushroom to get Royal City
. it's the cheapest way to get a culinary academy. the gourmet town culinary schools are ridiculously expensive.

zigg said:
I've got it in my head that my popularity is partially based on who I leave puttering about town (they get bored) vs. who I take with me (they get excited about doin' stuff). Does this seem like a good guess?
your popularity is also based on how much you build and how well you do in battle. kill more and lose less, you'll be loved. do the citizen's quests more often, you'll be loved. build more shit (make non residential buildings after residential ones for maximum effect on new populace), you'll be loved. defeat kings, you'll be loved. so on and so forth. going out and just talking to the people works too, but only for each individual really though there may be a ripple effect...

Top Bottom