• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

AniHawk

Twilight Princess said:
steel knight and the doctor are superb against non boss uma's. but most bosses are immune to stun (doctor) and the steel knight was extremely ineffective against the final boss.

I can't find the doctor, but I supposedly have the doctor.

Haunted said:
Oh man, don't remind me. ;_;

The cutesy art style and presentation really hides some mature subject matter in this game. Loved it.

The game really surprises you with that stuff. At the end *END GAME SPOILERS*
when you read the book in the real world and see "my grandpa died" I was like "...fuck :(" I was expecting them to say the kid lived in a bubble too, and his parents left him, and his dog was hit by a car.
*DON'T READ UNTIL YOU'VE FINISHED*

AniHawk said:
I can't find the doctor, but I supposedly have the doctor.
he's in glamour town. there's a hospital across the street from the theatre. if you wait long enough, eventually he'll come out. (i spotted him at around 3pm!)

Linkzg said:
The game really surprises you with that stuff. At the end *END GAME SPOILERS*
when you read the book in the real world and see "my grandpa died" I was like "...fuck :(" I was expecting them to say the kid lived in a bubble too, and his parents left him, and his dog was hit by a car.
*DON'T READ UNTIL YOU'VE FINISHED*
it was really bittersweet
. i loved the ending.
i love how every boss can be found either in the boy's bedroom or in that box he created.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Twilight Princess said:
[the doctor]'s in glamour town. there's a hospital across the street from the theatre. if you wait long enough, eventually he'll come out.

You don't have to wait for him to come out. As with any other building, go knock on the door with 'B' and they'll come out and join you.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
You can. But, like some of the other characters you can only do that after you have met them once.

So first time round this does not help - you have to go find him.

Oxx

phisheep said:
You don't have to wait for him to come out. As with any other building, go knock on the door with 'B' and they'll come out and join you.

Shhiiiiiitttttt.

I waited around for hours.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Oxx said:
Shhiiiiiitttttt.

I waited around for hours.

Me too. It was the frustration of all that hanging round that made me wish you could just summon him out, so I tried it, not really expecting it to work.

When it did (woohoo!) I spent the whole of the next night wandering around waking various citizens up from their sleep.

justchris

phisheep said:
Me too. It was the frustration of all that hanging round that made me wish you could just summon him out, so I tried it, not really expecting it to work.

When it did (woohoo!) I spent the whole of the next night wandering around waking various citizens up from their sleep.

Hehehe, I'll have to try that. I like going around collecting taxes in the middle of the night.

Any help of beating the tv guy? I keep getting sent to the wrong place. Sometimes 3 flags pop up but and sometimes some vague suggestion will pop up but usually the ticker just says the same stuff over and over.

ZAK

robut said:
Any help of beating the tv guy? I keep getting sent to the wrong place. Sometimes 3 flags pop up but and sometimes some vague suggestion will pop up but usually the ticker just says the same stuff over and over.
The ticker tells you where to go. The flags are just possibilities. And when his health gets low (1/4 or so) make sure you don't jump the gun and pay real close attention to what the ticker is saying.

By the way, is it possible to exit the TV maze after entering it? I had to trudge through half that thing with 1 HP (used up the spring too :^() and then fight the boss, since I couldn't find a place to warp from... Good thing the boss wasn't too bad...

dyls

I've fought a lot of bosses in my day and many start to blur together, but I won't soon be forgetting the TV Dinnah battle. Fucking brilliant. Never thought I would need
knowledge of flags and Geography
to take down a boss
who wasn't Carmen Sandiego.

At this point I'm pretty much just extending the game as long as I can because—like with a great work in other media but so sadly rare in videogames—I know I'm really going to miss this universe.

Dascu

ZAK said:
By the way, is it possible to exit the TV maze after entering it? I had to trudge through half that thing with 1 HP (used up the spring too :^() and then fight the boss, since I couldn't find a place to warp from... Good thing the boss wasn't too bad...
This part really bothered me. I went into the maze, not knowing that you wouldn't be able to go back out. I was absolutely no match for the King and had to get a Game Over.

Niblet

Just picked this up on the weekend after hearing Garnett mention it on Listen UP. Damn this game is fun. It isn't overly complicated but that is no problem. It is charming and the mechanics are solid. I'm up to the part where the Onii King sends you a letter and now I must lead an expedition to his territory and trounce him. Farming mushrooms for $$$. Alright time for some questions

1) What are money making tips you all can offer and keep in mind Im still early game.

2) How many people can I send to collect taxes per house without people hating me?

3) Can anyone explain the clock to me. I still don't understand what time is when on the clock. I have to rely on the actual sunlight in game to tell.

Bonus Question) Is this game anything like Pikmin? I never played Pikmin before and if it is anything like this I may want to pick it up.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Niblet said:
Bonus Question) Is this game anything like Pikmin? I never played Pikmin before and if it is anything like this I may want to pick it up.

WOAH hold it there bub, if you have anything resembling a soul you'll love Pikmin - but, make sure and grab Pikmin 2. GOTF? Probably.

Niblet said:
1) What are money making tips you all can offer and keep in mind Im still early game.
Don't buy the expensive treasure finding place thing (actual name escapes me right now) until you can comfortably afford it. Build enough homes so that you have enough people to convert into units for questing. Particularly soldiers for guardians (six should be enough early on). Focus on opening new areas and getting all of the various units so you can go on money making quests on an easy and rapid pace. Those suggestion box quests are never ending so you can build up some cash doing them.

2) How many people can I send to collect taxes per house without people hating me?
I don't think taxing has anything to do with people hating you; that comes from how successful you are in battles, if people die, and how much progress are you making in your kingdom. I think boredom of the carefree's is a factor too, but I'm not certain. And for taxing you can send in everyone in your royal guard per house, per day. You have to squeeze them all in before the next guy leaves though (I think). Taxing the royal area with a lineup of 30 is a big cash grab. :lol

3) Can anyone explain the clock to me. I still don't understand what time is when on the clock. I have to rely on the actual sunlight in game to tell.
There is one hand on the clock that points to the hour. The yellow bars countdown to the next hour.

GhaleonQ

Niblet said:

Definitely 1 and 2. Let me be clear: I am TERRIBLE at Pikmin. This is much easier for me because it's puzzle-based, but I'm not particularly talented at these games. I really, really like the Pikmin series and I'm all adoration for Little King's Story.

Niblet

Famicom said:
Don't buy the expensive treasure finding place thing (actual name escapes me right now) until you can comfortably afford it. Build enough homes so that you have enough people to convert into units for questing. Particularly soldiers for guardians (six should be enough early on). Focus on opening new areas and getting all of the various units so you can go on money making quests on an easy and rapid pace. Those suggestion box quests are never ending so you can build up some cash doing them.

I don't think taxing has anything to do with people hating you; that comes from how successful you are in battles, if people die, and how much progress are you making in your kingdom. I think boredom of the carefree's is a factor too, but I'm not certain. And for taxing you can send in everyone in your royal guard per house, per day. You have to squeeze them all in before the next guy leaves though (I think). Taxing the royal area with a lineup of 30 is a big cash grab. :lol

There is one hand on the clock that points to the hour. The yellow bars countdown to the next hour.

YESSS. I shall tax my kingdom into oblivion. Yeah I'm eyeing that treasure hunting place, but I'm making everything I can before I get to that place. Just unlocked the modified compodium which make my life so much easier. I have 37 people right now. In terms of highest to lowest people per job I have Grunts -> Farmers -> Animal Hunters -> Lumberjacks = Carpenters. I figure carpenters are one trick ponies that are good to keep around but in low numbers. Lumberjacks seem more flexible, but I see no need to have them in high numbers.

As for the clock, the big thing throwing me off are the symbols on the clock. At around the 3 o'clock zone it looks like a sun. Is that decoration or is it indicating something to me? Also when is a good time to call it a night? Sometimes it super dark when I turn in and BAM next day I get hate mail for working them too hard.

As for Pikmin, I will be picking this up shortly. Hopefully Pikmin 2 is available in wii port fashion. Heard the GCN game is very hard to find.

birdchili

a few hours in...

surely got myself a *lot* of hate throwing random dudes into the middle of fields before i figured out d-pad-down. boo.

it is, as i suspected, very fun so far. i definitely see why they didn't put pointer controls in though - adding the ability to move one way and shoot another would dramatically change the fighting gameplay.

do i need to worry at all about being "fast"? i've been really pushing each day, but i'm not sure it matters much...

The Hermit

phisheep said:

:O

I´ve beated this game and never tried this at all... unfortunately, I got the doc when he was pretty much useless :(

Wow, Tyrant mode actually gets easier as you go. Just beat Tv Dinnah with little trouble. Only 2 kings left. I could probably finish it again by tonight.

I'm really sad to see this game end but I need to get to the backlog. Here's hoping something will come of that sequel talk.

Luigison

cosmicblizzard said:
Wow, Tyrant mode actually gets easier as you go. Just beat Tv Dinnah with little trouble. Only 2 kings left. I could probably finish it again by tonight.

I'm really sad to see this game end but I need to get to the backlog. Here's hoping something will come of that sequel talk.
Are you going to 100% tyrant mode or was that someone else?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm absolutely loving the game. Picked it up just a few days ago, and only a couple hours in. I'm on my way to fight the Onii King.

The game is just a plain delight. It's like this awesome mix of Pikmin and My Life as a King...which is great because both games rock fucking hard.

LM4sure said:
wait, how do I tax people? Maybe I'm not that far in the game. I just beat the onii king guy.

Send a dude into someone's house (literally aim and shoot a minion in front of a house door), and they'll collect taxes. You can tax any house twice a day, and sometimes you'll get 2000 instead of 1000.

Niblet

LM4sure said:
wait, how do I tax people? Maybe I'm not that far in the game. I just beat the onii king guy.
Just send your people into any house and they will automatically collect tax money. Try to send all of them at once because if you do one by one, they wont let anymore in after 2 or 3 people. Also be mindful not to send people in to job buildings. I've done that about 3 times already. Its not fun when you pay to train 17 people to be lumberjacks.

Haunted

thetrin said:
Send a dude into someone's house (literally aim and shoot a minion in front of a house door), and they'll collect taxes. You can tax any house twice a day, and sometimes you'll get 2000 instead of 1000.
Oh man, you should try taxing later expansions (like the Royal City houses). :D

Luigison said:
Are you going to 100% tyrant mode or was that someone else?

Someone else said that but I'm planning on doing it too since I didn't get anywhere near that in normal. I didn't even get the wizard or doctor.

I taxed people maybe 3 times in the entire game because I was afraid they would hate me as king

AniHawk said:
I give up on normal. I can't defeat the final boss.

the patterns are fairly obvious, and with the right squad, you should be able to do it easily.

take mostly soldiers and at least two farmers (to dig out the spring to restore health; two+ in case one dies in the space ship part). No other class is needed there. The patterns are fairly simple. Only the final big rat has a weird pattern because he can't be damaged at times. for the most part, guard formation and timing is all that's needed. If you lose soldiers here, don't really worry about it.

GhaleonQ

Luigison said:
is that just for tyrant mode, or does 100%ing normal get the special ending too?

It's just Tyrant Mode, 100% or not. It's not worth it solely for the 1 screen, though perhaps for the extra other story elements.

AniHawk

mclem said:
Which stage are you having trouble with, and what's your party makeup?

The final, last part. I have a team of mostly soldiers and some archers. I whittled his health down to half and then I die.

Dascu

AniHawk said:
The final, last part. I have a team of mostly soldiers and some archers. I whittled his health down to half and then I die.
I'd get rid of the archers if I were you.

I'd also change my avatar back to Ramirez.

Niblet

How the hell do I overcome the
Shiskabooboo pinball fight? I don't know what is going on all I know is people keep dying.

Captain N

Can I just say this game probably has the nicest loping game disc on the Wii?! I ended up staying up until 2 in the morning playing. My brother-in-law even sat down and watched me play the whole time.

Mkliner

Niblet said:
How the hell do I overcome the
Shiskabooboo pinball fight? I don't know what is going on all I know is people keep dying.
In my experience you die about forty times, throw the controller through the tv, and break the disk in half.

Top Bottom