• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

Fifty

Ramirez, I'm home this afternoon, so if you get this, I can play in the next 4 hours. Otherwise, we attempt to play on Friday.

LiveWire

Yea that was Santana Moss. Same shit happened against DCX with Portis, but Portis actually managed to bring down the guy at the 2 yd line. Still gave up a TD though on the ensuing possession. Fuck it, I'm switching playbooks. Portis is going to run the Wildcat next season.

bluemax

Banned
CB3 said:
Wow

If i get up on someone from here on out and their connection decides to drop, im continuing against the CPU. Sorry, ive lost two games that i pretty much already won the first time around and my opponent has some sort of problem. Im not letting people get two shots at me anymore

I wish I could've done this agains the Vikings. Twice I was starting to get momentum in a tie game and it died. Then we replayed in full the next day and I got slaughtered. It sucks to play 3 close games against someone and then on a fourth one have everything go against you. Especially since I was still alive for the playoffs at that point.

AstroLad said:
i split all three series in the west, heh. it's like night and day with the cards usually depending on if warner wants to throw 3 tds or 3 picks.

Only because my batteries died! I had you in the most improbable comeback of the year!

FrenchMovieTheme said:
but bluemax even if you and astro finish 8-8 i still have a better division record than both of you and split my head to head with both of you :(

and storybook i can't let that happen. i'm going to take my real life frustrations with the niners out on YOU! crabtree rising!

I never said it would let me in the playoffs, I just said it would make a monkey wrench of things!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
bluemax said:
Only because my batteries died! I had you in the most improbable comeback of the year!
The Divine Law of Only-One-Last-Second-Win-Per-Opponent prevailed!

Are we advancing tonight? jk :/

what do you guys think about a rule that states if you are in the 3rd quarter and a game disconnects with the option to "play vs. cpu", then that person can finish out the game against the CPU?

LiveWire

FrenchMovieTheme said:
what do you guys think about a rule that states if you are in the 3rd quarter and a game disconnects with the option to "play vs. cpu", then that person can finish out the game against the CPU?

If the game is close, it's unfair to the trailing team. By now we all know who we might have connection issues with in the league, so we can prepare by directly connecting. If direct connection isn't possible by one or both players (usually it seems as long as one of the two players can direct connect it fixes any issues), then I could see using a rule like the one you propose. But it's gotta be something that kicks in after all other options are exhausted.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
There is also the matter of sportsmanship and discretion. I thought we handled both of our late disconnects very classily FMT, and we should be models for the rest of the league.

TheCrow

FrenchMovieTheme said:

I think it has to depend on the score. If its tied I don't think playing the cpu would give the disconnected player a chance. However, if its a blowout in the third then I would be fine with this rule.

But what happens if the person who is in the lead gets disconnected, sometimes the case for me. would the person still connected finish against the cpu? If so, it would be pretty bad if the cpu gave up the lead and lost.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
FrenchMovieTheme said:
Only if the option appears for the team that is ahead, and only if that team is ahead by two TDs or more. Or maybe just 10 points. I am pretty sure if I trailed by 21 in the third quarter I could easily come back against the CPU.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
FrenchMovieTheme said:

I think that it would have to be a simple rule like this. All the parameters people are bringing up are sure to be forgotten in the heat of the moment. I would say change the quarter to 4th and allow people to play against the CPU. That way hopefully whatever gameplay that happened to that point will have a substantial effect on the game.

On to Lions/49ers. I know what side of the ball will get attention in the draft. My defense again sucks ass. Earlier in the year Ryan Grant ran for a ton of yards on a handful of long runs. Adrian Peterson ran for a TD when he should have been tackled for a safety. In this game, Frank Gore did most of the damage for the 49ers on 2 long runs. One was 96 yards. So right off the bat I am down 14-0 with only two freaking plays defensed. I drive down to the red zone with Culpepper only to have him fumble the ball away on a sack. Lions tried to fight back, but that 14-0 hole was too much to recover from.

Offensively, I think the Lions are fine. The fact I am still moving the ball when over half of my playbook has been rendered useless due to not having Stafford in there, says I have some talent on that side of the ball, but defensively the team is slow and has the awareness of a corpse most of the time.

Mrbob

CB3 said:
Sorry, between this and the bob game where i had the clear upper hand in both, im finishing it against the CPU. Its too hard to get a win in this league and im not throwing them out the window anymore

You are so full of shit. :lol

BigAT

I agree that there would have to be some pretty strict rules in place to continue against the CPU. Something like only the winning team, only in the 4th and only up at least two scores. Either that or the team is clearly in a position to win, like under two minutes, with the lead and the ball in the 4th.

The CPU is too awful to allow most people to play against them. Even if you're down a touchdown or two in the 3rd quarter, playing against the CPU for the rest of the game could be a pretty easy win.

Also, I would hope that if someone was very late in a game and they obviously couldn't win, with the option to continue against the CPU, they would do so and essentially take the loss they deserve.

Dolphins, when can you play?

I'm going to a concert tonight and won't be home until pretty late
Tomorrow I can play until 3:30-4:00 EST before I go to work all night
Saturday I can play early afternoon then I work until 1am

TheCrow

BigAT said:
Also, I would hope that if someone was very late in a game and they obviously couldn't win, with the option to continue against the CPU, they would do so and essentially take the loss they deserve.

I think this should also be part of the rule. It would not be fair if the rule only applied when the losing side disconnects. If you want to continue against the cpu when you have a big lead you must also continue against the cpu when you are losing by a wide margin and take a loss. Either the game actually matters or just keep restarting.

LukeSmith

TheCrow said:
I think it has to depend on the score. If its tied I don't think playing the cpu would give the disconnected player a chance. However, if its a blowout in the third then I would be fine with this rule.

But what happens if the person who is in the lead gets disconnected, sometimes the case for me. would the person still connected finish against the cpu? If so, it would be pretty bad if the cpu gave up the lead and lost.

Crow was up 10 against me with 4 to play and I was getting the ball when he lost connection,

I could've finished against the CPU and come back and beat them, but elected to restart. I think you should just man up and play the game till it's finished. If your game is so flaccid that someone getting an extra look or two at it, then you should diversify your portfolio.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Not sure if Quinton had the option, but on our 2nd attempt, it was at the beginning of the 4th quarter, and I was up by 2-3 touchdowns (it was something like 30-10) when it DC'd, and I lost the eventual rematch.

So, the option to continue against the CPU in that case, I didn't get. I think he didn't either (FMT mentioned the servers were screwy that night.) What should we have done then?

LukeSmith said:
Crow was up 10 against me with 4 to play and I was getting the ball when he lost connection,

I could've finished against the CPU and come back and beat them, but elected to restart. I think you should just man up and play the game till it's finished. If your game is so flaccid that someone getting an extra look or two at it, then you should diversify your portfolio.

I think I agree with this, just replay it so what if they saw some of your gameplan. I think coming up with a good rule would be hard, cause there have been times where i've scored 28 pts in a quarter so I'm not sure all leads over 2 tds are safe.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
LukeSmith said:

Man up this flaccid that, stop thinking about the male body and think about Madden/Football! Game two of the year I was up 14-0 in the second quarter and had the ball against Shawn. I was dominating but the game disconnected. Start the game up again and was up 7-0 again, but a fumble fucked me over big time and it was downhill from there. Obviously I was doing something right if I grabbed the lead right off the bat again.

There is a lot left to luck in the game. Fumbles, some crazy ints, injuries, etc. I am with you that we should just replay, but there is a lot of grey area.

TheCrow

Wellington said:
Man up this flaccid that, stop thinking about the male body and think about Madden/Football! Game two of the year I was up 14-0 in the second quarter and had the ball against Shawn. I was dominating but the game disconnected. Start the game up again and was up 7-0 again, but a fumble fucked me over big time and it was downhill from there. Obviously I was doing something right if I grabbed the lead right off the bat again.

There is a lot left to luck in the game. Fumbles, some crazy ints, injuries, etc. I am with you that we should just replay, but there is a lot of grey area.

THIS
Its not just about play calling. Sometimes Madden itself will play differently.

Coming up with a rule will be hard(mostly when the score difference is 10 or 14). If you had a hard time scoring for 3 quarters the chances of you putting up 21pts in the fourth are low. When the lead is a touchdown or less you have to take into account the remaining time, how the offense and defense is performing, etc. However, for the most part a lead of 7 or less would just be replayed.

LiveWire

The Giants were pretty flaccid against the Redskins this year. 6 INTs in 2 games for Sheli. :O

Anyway, I say we just keep replaying. If you know you've had an issue with disconnects, and you've already tried direct connecting with both players, there's no "fair" way to do it. Someone will always get screwed, unless, you do like sable and I did and play an unranked game to see who gets to play a CPU game (stats will get screwed up a little for the player being represented by the CPU, but it's the best alternative available).

Ramirez

Sooo...I'm up 14-0 on Fifty with 6 mins in the 3rd and I'm assuming he lost connection, so do I have to not count it and he gets another try? :( I'm fairly confident I was going to win, this sucks. He hasn't gotten back on AIM or Live, so I don't really know what he thinks about it.

Fifty

I don't know what the fuck that was, Ramirez. My system froze. Maybe it was because the game wasn't installed this time (I heard the POS dvd drive spinning and spinning after plays, and there would be a few seconds hesitation on the game's part). It didn't feel like it was the servers' fault.

You were up 14-0 and dominating me. I figured you would, since I didn't have the incredible luck of the first game. I propose that the most fair thing to do is to replay it, but give you the 14 point lead back, since the game is such a big one. I kick to you, you keep running with Parker, and I move my guys away. After that TD, I punt to you, and you get a 2nd TD with Parker. He'll get more yards than he did in reality, but it's the best thing I can think of. After spotting you the two scores, we play normally. Got a better idea?

P.S: I can't play now. I have to leave in a few.

P.P.S: Dammit!

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
I think it's reasonable only if it's a huge margin. Although, at that point, you'd think the person losing would have enough class to give the player winning the go-ahead to play on.

If you say that whoever stays gets to play the cpu, it's unfair especially if the score is tied or it's a small lead in the third quarter. 2 quarters or 1.5 quarters is a LOT of football. There are also games where it gives both of us the chance to continue vs cpu.

Maybe we should do it leaguedaddy style and just play the 1 quarter that's left in an unranked game and the winner of the contest plays the cpu. It's not a perfect system, but it's less random than the "survivor" of the random disconnect getting to play the cpu.

Mrbob

It is a tough decision....I've seen a lot of games this year where a team has scored 21 or 28 points in the 4th.

I mean look at my game against fifty. I was down 20 to 6 in the 3rd quarter, I scored with 1 minute left in the third to make it 20 to 13 and it turned the game around. I went on to outscore him 21 to 0 in the 4th and won the game 34 to 20. If there was a 3rd quarter disconnect when I'm down 20 to 6 I lose the game.

There was a game against the browns earlier this season I choked away. I was up 19 to 7 in the 3rd, and got outscored 17 to 0 in the 4th. If there is a disconnect in the 3rd I cruise to victory (should have anyway! :( ), but I made some dumb mistakes in the 4th and it cost me!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Somnia said:
I'm good tomorrow after 630pm cst. Saturday after 10pm cst. Friday would be best. I could tonight possibly but I'm in meetings all day so I don't have a set time available.

Lets do Friday then. I'm free from 5 to 6 pm est and then I'm free 9 pm est on.

Ramirez

Rorschach said:
I think it's reasonable only if it's a huge margin. Although, at that point, you'd think the person losing would have enough class to give the player winning the go-ahead to play on.

If you say that whoever stays gets to play the cpu, it's unfair especially if the score is tied or it's a small lead in the third quarter. 2 quarters or 1.5 quarters is a LOT of football. There are also games where it gives both of us the chance to continue vs cpu.

Maybe we should do it leaguedaddy style and just play the 1 quarter that's left in an unranked game and the winner of the contest plays the cpu. It's not a perfect system, but it's less random than the "survivor" of the random disconnect getting to play the cpu.

I like league daddy style the best, as CB said, games are extremely hard to win in this league, and it just sucks that someone gets a redo even if they do have to spot the other team their points.

Rorschach

AstroLad said:
We should just pick random winners for disconnected games--EA tiebreaker style!
Seconded!

Striker said:
I was playing an online game last night with LJ. It had been a long time since I played a regular online game and my roster waaay better. My WRs are rated more like they should be and Murphy/Schilens are amazing (compared to their franchise selves, anyway). Oh, and the defense is much, much better even if you don't take into account that they added Seymour.

Striker

Holy petes coverage sack. What was CB waiting for? :p

I liked him, too. He wasn't a bad player. I figure he would be my starting ILB pairing with D'Qwell Jackson, since Barton is a Grandpa.

TheCrow

Striker said:
Holy petes coverage sack. What was CB waiting for? :p

I liked him, too. He wasn't a bad player. I figure he would be my starting ILB pairing with D'Qwell Jackson, since Barton is a Grandpa.

It was my first time playing as the FS for most of the game, which helped in coverage plus my front 4 was able to get some pressure. 5 sacks and it would have been more if it weren't for McNabb breaking tackles and tossing floaters while getting hit.

He'll likely start next year but it depends on how he progresses and whether I cut Andra Davis.

BigAT

Looks like the Green Bay staff is looking to me for some management advice. The real Packers recently signed Mark Tausher after he was my first pick in the free agent draft.

Rorschach

TheCrow said:
It was my first time playing as the FS for most of the game, which helped in coverage plus my front 4 was able to get some pressure. 5 sacks and it would have been more if it weren't for McNabb breaking tackles and tossing floaters while getting hit.

He'll likely start next year but it depends on how he progresses and whether I cut Andra Davis.
Playing safety? Copycat league!

Just kidding!

That was totally a coverage sack, though. Not the DE necessarily. McRibb had all day.

Striker

:lol I love those plays.

Then again, I'd love another solid Safety. Sean Jones, come back home to Cleveland! :(

In a minor move, I picked up GB's Aaron Rouse to hopefully improve depth. I really would to improve my DB's heading into free agency and the Draft. Another LB as well.

TheCrow

I do like having depth at CB and FS. My fourth corner(Goodman) went one-on-one with Maclin and was right on top of him the whole route and even got the pick.

I'm really looking forward to the draft and next season. DeSean playing a full year
I hope
will get me some more wins.

Rorschach

Damnit! Denver gets Chicago's first too. I HATE YOU AND YOUR BEARS, MRBOB!

Oh wait, I forgot Seattle gets Denver's other #1. BALANCED OUT!

Striker

At this rate, it seems the top ten order for the Draft will be:

#1 49ers
#2 Dolphins
#3 Bengals
#4 Broncos - > Seahawks!?
#5 Chiefs
#6 Texans
#7 Browns
#8 Lions
#9 Rams
#10 49ers

Of course, there is still this week left to play, as well as the final week. Order may not be that exact pace because it seems its set in alphabetical order (viewed in Owners tab).

Somnia

Matrix said:
Lets do Friday then. I'm free from 5 to 6 pm est and then I'm free 9 pm est on.

Awesome. Sorry about the shitty availability. Getting everything ready for the Holiday season about to start!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Jacobs out two weeks, I need his ass!!! Goddammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I guess I lose him through the first round of the playoffs. Motherfuck!

GG GCQ. You are much better than your record indicates... seems we both have the same problem... we throw too many ints. :lol

TheCrow

Striker said:
At this rate, it seems the top ten order for the Draft will be:

#1 49ers
#2 Dolphins
#3 Bengals
#4 Broncos
#5 Chiefs
#6 Texans
#7 Browns
#8 Lions
#9 Rams
#10 49ers

Of course, there is still this week left to play, as well as the final week. Order may not be that exact pace because it seems its set in alphabetical order (viewed in Owners tab).

Wow, I did pretty bad for my first year. :lol I did win this week and have a good chance to beat matrix next week*. Even though I lose my first round pick I'll still get the rest of my picks plus the ones I traded for(should have around 10 total picks). I need Bob, CB, and lone to lose some more games. :D

*The only reason I have a chance at beating matrix is that I am 4-4 on the road. Not great but still godly compared to my 0-7 record at home. :lol

Top Bottom