• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
better hope CK doesnt see that post

[15:34] TheColdOne33: favre's an 82
[15:35] InsecureKillah: Not talking about favre bro
[15:35] InsecureKillah: I really don't give a shit about the whole thing

Its that time of the month

Rorschach

It matters to the league... and apparently to Slo's comeback. Besides, it's on the last page for 50 post viewers!

Incidentally, looking at my sched, I could get between 5 and 7 wins this year. Tough schedule, though.

Slo

It's with great remorse and a heavy heart that I'm announcing my retirement from the Chicago Bears and the Madden 10 league. I realize that this leaves the entire Bears organization and the city of Chicago in a state of flux. I realize that I've given hope to a city and taken it away. And for that I'm sorry.

Part of me wants to play. That part wants to win a Super Bowl with a team that's got all the pieces in place except for the field general. They're so close, but they just don't have the leadership to take them to the next level. It's a tailor made situation for me really. I feel like I could have been the guy to take them from a perpetual 8-8 garbage team, to a contender.

But the other part of me wonders if my body can really stand up to a 16 game schedule. Can my thumbs still take it? Do I really still have what it takes to win games in December? Or would they be better off rolling the dice with a perpetually mediocre guy running the show. Sure, you could say 60% of Slo is better than what they had before, but I'm not sure I can even give that much.

So, I guess this is it. Time to go. And for whoever takes over the Bears, whether it be MrBob or some career backup free agent, I wish you luck.

Rorschach

Might as well start scheduling games! Smokey, when can you play? :D

Speaking of which... haven't seen him around here in a while...

CB3

Rorschach said:

i think he just got back from vacation. i played him in madden today

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
All of my work on the pass rush is beginning to pay off. I'm getting 2-3 sacks per game along with really good pressure and hits upon release. My Dline isn't really doing that great a job unless the opposing QBs hold the ball too long. Overloads are definitely the way to go, most any other way it's too hard to sneak a blitzer in a gap.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Actually, overloading on the A gaps might not be a bad idea, I will have to test this out. The problem is that I have never been able to successfully get the lineman to NOT clump together. Maybe bringing a safety will help.

Smokey

Rorschach said:

i'm always around!

like cb said i just got back from being out of town, but im always reachable.

aim is dboythagr8 if you have it.

Smokey said:
i'm always around!

like cb said i just got back from being out of town, but im always reachable.

aim is dboythagr8 if you have it.

Smoke, in case you're still having issues with ranked games, try changing your quick game settings to reflect not having a preference in who you play. When I set that to challenge folks only on my skill level, I got the same issues you were having. Appears to be a bug in Madden.

CB3

They need to patch the holding calls on FG shit. Akers already has a noodle for a leg. I dont need to be pushed back further

Somnia

Rorschach said:
It matters to the league... and apparently to Slo's comeback. Besides, it's on the last page for 50 post viewers!

Incidentally, looking at my sched, I could get between 5 and 7 wins this year. Tough schedule, though.

We have a rematch this year sir! Though this time I'll be playing a team that is much worse :lol

Rorschach

Somnia said:
We have a rematch this year sir! Though this time I'll be playing a team that is much worse :lol
Worse than the Cowboys, but still not worse than mine. :\

You have the offense and I have the defense (sorta). Should be fun. :p Unfortunately, it's not for 11 weeks. :[

Somnia

Rorschach said:
Worse than the Cowboys, but still not worse than mine. :\

You have the offense and I have the defense (sorta). Should be fun. :p Unfortunately, it's not for 11 weeks. :[

Ya =( If you're up let's play tomorrow! I need to practice some with the Bengals and find a playbook I like. I'll be on AIM all day tomorrow after my inventory (ugh have to be up in 5 1/2 hours)..Somnia1982 is my AIM.

Rorschach

Somnia said:
Ya =( If you're up let's play tomorrow! I need to practice some with the Bengals and find a playbook I like. I'll be on AIM all day tomorrow after my inventory (ugh have to be up in 5 1/2 hours)..Somnia1982 is my AIM.
Ya, I'll play. I need to test a playbook too. Raiders' sucks balls. So predictable.

Smokey

Shawnwhann said:
Smoke, in case you're still having issues with ranked games, try changing your quick game settings to reflect not having a preference in who you play. When I set that to challenge folks only on my skill level, I got the same issues you were having. Appears to be a bug in Madden.

isn't it like that by default? doesn't it just randomly throw you in a match unless you tell it you only want your skill level?

regardless i'll try that

i've managed to play exactly 4 games online since the game came out. FOUR. All against you guys...so i guess that's not really a bad thing. saves me from throwing my controller at my TV since randoms love to glitch all DEY time.

Striker

Smokey said:
isn't it like that by default? doesn't it just randomly throw you in a match unless you tell it you only want your skill level?

regardless i'll try that

i've managed to play exactly 4 games online since the game came out. FOUR. All against you guys...so i guess that's not really a bad thing. saves me from throwing my controller at my TV since randoms love to glitch all DEY time.
That's how I am. No sense in playing those folks who will try anything to win a game.

I'll be open tomorrow until 6 PM then work a little bit. Have time to play some before then. The roster update should arrive and our Franchise can begin! :)

Braylon...

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I saw a weird glitch last night on a long YAC TD catch. Receiver went in motion, while the receiver was in motion the ball was snapped. My 90 rated CB Corey Webster subsequently ran AWAY from the receiver and towards the position he would have been if there were no motion. He then turned around to chase the receiver, but by that time it was too late. I couldn't save a replay that would clearly show what happened. Has anyone had this happen before?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Striker said:
That's how I am. No sense in playing those folks who will try anything to win a game.

I'll be open tomorrow until 6 PM then work a little bit. Have time to play some before then. The roster update should arrive and our Franchise can begin! :)

Braylon...
I hope no franchise until at least September when final rosters are set for the NFL teams.

If you want to give it another try today we definitely could. After our failed attempts I was able to get in two games.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I need to find out what Slider's/difficulty we're going with, because holy shit, I can't run the ball. The Opposing LB's are almost always perfect at hitting the gaps, and interior Lineman can tackle through my O-Line. Most DE's can outrun my RB on the outside, apparently.

Lonestar said:
I need to find out what Slider's/difficulty we're going with, because holy shit, I can't run the ball. The Opposing LB's are almost always perfect at hitting the gaps, and interior Lineman can tackle through my O-Line. Most DE's can outrun my RB on the outside, apparently.

Are you using the speed burst right away? I've noticed that if you hold the RT right when you get the ball, guys get off their blocks quicker than they should. However, I've had success running by just finding the hole and then hitting the speed burst as I get through. I've even had success running the ball on sweeps.

Somnia

Lonestar said:

I can run the ball pretty decently with fucking Benson of all people, but god damn if he doesn't fumble a lot just like RL. He fumbled it 3 times in one game...fuck I hope I get a good waiver so I can sign edge or someone better :lol

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
storybook77 said:
Are you using the speed burst right away? I've noticed that if you hold the RT right when you get the ball, guys get off their blocks quicker than they should. However, I've had success running by just finding the hole and then hitting the speed burst as I get through. I've even had success running the ball on sweeps.

That is how it was on NCAA too. Jamming turbo immediately is a hard habit to break.

Lonestar

It is a hard habit to break. In NCAA, it's not as penalized either.

Also, what's the throw away button in Madden? NCAA, it's RB, but that's a pump fake button I believe.

Is the Fumble Recovery Mini game going to be used? I've had it happen 4 times, and I have yet to come close to "winning" that thing. Though, that's against the CPU.

Somnia

Lonestar said:
It is a hard habit to break. In NCAA, it's not as penalized either.

Also, what's the throw away button in Madden? NCAA, it's RB, but that's a pump fake button I believe.

Is the Fumble Recovery Mini game going to be used? I've had it happen 4 times, and I have yet to come close to "winning" that thing. Though, that's against the CPU.

R3 is throw away if I remember right.

Lonestar

I mainly remember, because I was scrambling to the left with Brady against CPU Bills, and was desperately wanting to throw the ball away. pump fake pump fake pump fake shitsnotworking...uhh....lets try LBohshit lobbed that 15 yards to a Linebackeroops guess I'll lay him out with some BRADYWOOD.

The only successful run I've had in the 5 games I've played, is one draw with Fred Taylor, who got maybe 5 or 6 yards, then Superman'd it up, and broke out of a gang tackle of 8 people, and chugged it 70 yards for the TD. Most of the time, I'm lucky for a 4 yard gain.

Taylor > Marooney

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Lonestar said:

I have done the fumbe recovery thing like 3 times, won 2 of them. Going into it I thought that the meter would be in the middle and you would jam to move it over. But where the meter starts depends on the play. If the home team's player is closest to the ball or in a better position, the meter will favor him and you would have to have a turbo controller to beat him. But other times it is alot more fair and it is possible to win. I think it probably comes up too often now, but I understand them wanting to show off the feature.

Rorschach

Lonestar said:
We're going with All-Pro. There are no sliders right now for franchise.

I think it's fine. I've been burned on the ground and I've burned people on the ground. You just need patience.

Ratings list has very few upgrades. :( No Mario Henderson or Chaz Daddy!

Chris Simms – 70 OVR (was 68)….+2
Kyle Orton – 73 OVR (was 74)….-1
David Harris – 79 OVR (was 74)….+5
Aaron Brown – 67 OVR (was 64)…+3
Haloti Ngata – 92 OVR (was 90)…+2
Kelly Gregg – 83 OVR (was 77)…+6…(Gregg recently named Top 10 Overall DT in NFL according to Scouts Inc. – #8 overall.)
Darren Sproles – 83 OVR (was 85)….-2
Leon Washington – 80 OVR (was 79)….+1
Ryan Harris – 85 OVR (was 74)…+11…severely underrated OL, Denver actually ranked as #3 and #1 against the run and pass.
Ben Hamilton – 85 OVR (was 81)…+4…also a big part of that #3 overall Denver OL in 2008
Ryan Clady – 91 OVR (was 90)…+1…see above…some already call him #1 LT in NFL

Oh, and they didn't add my other WR Miller. He doesn't exist!

Rorschach

Caspel said:
how come no one is representing the Packers? (taken from the first post)
They're taken by whomever gets in next. It's just that they were the last team to go. I don't know why no one likes them. They're a solid team with only a few defensive pieces missing.

Oh shit someone took the Broncos?! Aiiiieeeee!!!!

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Rorschach said:
They're taken by whomever gets in next. It's just that they were the last team to go. I don't know why no one likes them. They're a solid team with only a few defensive pieces missing.

Oh shit someone took the Broncos?! Aiiiieeeee!!!!

Well I wasn't added to the list awhile back when I put my name in the hat for players looking to fill in. So if no one steps up and plays with the pitiful Packers (Lions fans talking here hahaha), then I'd be willing. If not, no biggie.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
AirBrian said:
Who the hell would want to be the Packers? They're the worst franchise in the league!
... Hard to rank the Packers lower than the Raiders after the past 5 years. *shrugs*

Rorschach

Caspel said:
Well I wasn't added to the list awhile back when I put my name in the hat for players looking to fill in. So if no one steps up and plays with the pitiful Packers (Lions fans talking here hahaha), then I'd be willing. If not, no biggie.
I'm pretty sure we're full, sorry. At least you'll be spared a season of having to make the Packers look good!

TheCrow said:
:D

I am loving the upgrades to the broncos o-line. It gives me more time to air it out
with kyle orton :(
Better than what I've got. :(

Striker

Wellington said:
I hope no franchise until at least September when final rosters are set for the NFL teams.

If you want to give it another try today we definitely could. After our failed attempts I was able to get in two games.
No problem. Not sure what was wrong. As I said, I had no problems with Ramirez and CB.

I agree about the rosters. But it won't entirely affect my team, since the team is muddy anywhow.

Lonestar

Reading on the rosters, and don't know if it really means anything or not, but Vick and Farve's career stats are not in the Roster. So Ole Farvra is back to 0 TD and 0 INT's. One of those will change quickly.

Rorschach

I wonder if they will add a script for digital Favre's upcoming 2010 retirement.

The following players have retired:

Fred Taylor
Chris McCalister
Derrick Brooks
Mark Brunnell
Brett Favre
Joey Galloway
Isaac Bruce
Daunte Culpepper
Kerry Collins
etc

*off-season mode completed*

The following players have unretired:

Brett Favre

[edit] The level headed part of me agrees with Wellington about starting in September, but there's also a part of me that wants to get this fucking show on the road.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Rorschach said:
[edit] The level headed part of me agrees with Wellington about starting in September, but there's also a part of me that wants to get this fucking show on the road.
I would love to get it rolling so we can have some football in our lives, but what is the benefit of starting the league now instead of a couple of weeks from now? The game was just released this past Friday. There are still some (as you can see above in this very topic) that are not sure whether they like the game or not. We should give it more than a week's time if only because a franchise is a much different commitment than a league.

I missed out on games Sunday and Monday and didn't realize we switched to unranked 10 min games for our intragaf games... what is the difference, right now, from getting as many games as you want in with whoever and learning the ropes for real to starting up a league prematurely?

In all seriousness, I really just don't want to have to restart the thing if a patch or something crazy happens.

Rorschach

Wellington said:
I would love to get it rolling so we can have some football in our lives, but what is the benefit of starting the league now instead of a couple of weeks from now? The game was just released this past Friday. There are still some (as you can see above in this very topic) that are not sure whether they like the game or not. We should give it more than a week's time if only because a franchise is a much different commitment than a league.

I missed out on games Sunday and Monday and didn't realize we switched to unranked 10 min games for our intragaf games... what is the difference, right now, from getting as many games as you want in with whoever and learning the ropes for real to starting up a league prematurely?

In all seriousness, I really just don't want to have to restart the thing if a patch or something crazy happens.
I agree with some of those points, but you don't have to worry about patches. Those will be integrated into the franchise even if you've already started it. The only thing we won't have is the updated rosters from next week or whatever.

And who hasn't made up their mind on the game yet? :\ If there's someone who hasn't, they should put some time in and stop holding us back! Also, I'm guessing that if they don't like it now, they won't like it half a month from now either...

Top Bottom