• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

Striker

Rorschach said:
I just changed Howard to DE. Works for me!
Really? I rushed through Create a Franchise and just used default for things... Owner of the Broncos and only asked me to trade Kyle Orton or change his jersey number.

Whew, good! Thanks.

The Braylon stuff from before is still up for grabs, menz!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ror's, they put Burgess at OLB. like a low 70's rated one. But still shows at like a mid 80's if you put him in as a DE.

Rorschach

Lonestar said:
Ror's, they put Burgess at OLB. like a low 70's rated one. But still shows at like a mid 80's if you put him in as a DE.
Yeah, that's because that's how the Pats are gonna use him. But there's no point in him being a DE in their system...so if you switch him it's kinda useless :p

What you should do is leave him at OLB and blitz him like the Pats are gonna do.

The Braylon stuff from before is still up for grabs, menz!
What do you need? :p

Lonestar

Rorschach said:
Yeah, that's because that's how the Pats are gonna use him. But there's no point in him being a DE in their system...so if you switch him it's kinda useless :p

What you should do is leave him at OLB and blitz him like the Pats are gonna do.

Ah yeah, the joys of the 3-4. DE's that aren't really there to pass rush, and linebackers that are sneaky bastards on the outside.

Striker

Rorschach said:

I tried a 4-3 and some changes (offline) but I tend to prefer the 3-4 because of the diagnosis I can spice up with the system. I may try out NE or BAL defenses, as well, to really see if there's any differences.

If I'm dealing Bray-drop, I want a LB/WR combo. After careful thought, I would accept Crabtree and Willis. I'll throw in DA for FMT so he can have a former Pro Bowler at QB.

Striker said:
I tried a 4-3 and some changes (offline) but I tend to prefer the 3-4 because of the diagnosis I can spice up with the system. I may try out NE or BAL defenses, as well, to really see if there's any differences.

If I'm dealing Bray-drop, I want a LB/WR combo. After careful thought, I would accept Crabtree and Willis. I'll throw in DA for FMT so he can have a former Pro Bowler at QB.

lol the only 3 people i wouldn't trade for edwards are gore, willis, and crabby.... and andy lee!

i will give you isaac bruce. i promise he wont retire at the end of season 1, plus he is sure handed!

Lonestar

The thing I don't like with the 3-4, is that it is (to me) to pressure on the outside with the DE, like I would in the 4-3. I apparently can't just grab that OLB that's a glorified DE and rush him, going by FMT's arcaic rules.

You have all these rules, and you think they'll save you.

Can't remember the other quotes, let me go to imdb. brb

Can I has the Mr. Coffee (Once they fix his ratings to match his ability :p)

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Damn I missed almost the whole weekend's worth of games, I feel like I will be way behind the learning curve. Anyone want some games tonight? I am trying to work on some stuff to improve my pass rush, and more importantly, my pass D while blitzing.

Speaking of pass D, does anyone control a CB/S on plays when you are looking to bump? Is the bump automatic or do you have to enact it? Guess I will have to find out when I get home. It'd be a huge tipping of the hand, but I am considering switching to playing safety on blitzes due to the problems MWS has pointed out.

LJ11 said:
I'm not sure what Stacey Andrews is rated, but Maybin was blowing by him with that shoulder dip animation. Haven't played against too many speedrushers, but if that can be done to Andrews by a rookie, I wonder what the more seasoned pass rushers can do.

Good game!

Damn, I really need to give Osi a test run, but I can't play RDE at all. If you're having this much success with Maybin I could see about flipping him and Tuck at the LOS. I am sure the drop off won't be too much... or maybe moving Tuck inside and playing with Kiwi on the outside.

Rorschach

Striker said:

Hrm...maybe your price is too high for my blood. No way in hell I'd give up Patrick Willis AND an "A" WR for Braylon. I'd have to be high and half conscious. Not only is Patrick Willis a one man defense, but Braylon is only 2 points ahead of Crabtree overall AND has 8 less points in the catching category.

Wellington said:
Speaking of pass D, does anyone control a CB/S on plays when you are looking to bump? Is the bump automatic or do you have to enact it?
I've been playing a bit of safety and CB. You have to run towards them, but the bump itself is automatic. If the guy sheds you, you're toast, though. :p AI can recover better because they have a better range of movement. :\

Striker

I was being facetious about those two, but that is the combo I would desire. David Bowens is -_- on the outside if I don't have him blitzing.

I'll play a game or two tonight after work if anybody is around. We still waiting until September to begin our Franchise? :mad:

Lonestar said:
The thing I don't like with the 3-4, is that it is (to me) to pressure on the outside with the DE, like I would in the 4-3. I apparently can't just grab that OLB that's a glorified DE and rush him, going by FMT's arcaic rules.

You have all these rules, and you think they'll save you.

Can't remember the other quotes, let me go to imdb. brb

Can I has the Mr. Coffee (Once they fix his ratings to match his ability :p)

there maybe some rules adjustment concerning blitzing with LB's who are lined up on the D-line (a lot of the 3-4 playbook has this, especially the 2-4-5 which drops the 2 LB's to the LOS as the DE's), but we'll see.

also, glenn coffee is already legit. ask rors about him! 12 rushes 82 yards and a TD! he's not rated highly overall, but that's because his awareness is at like a 40. all his other #'s are awesome

Rorschach

On the other hand, Raiders can't tackle for shit. :p Coffee was a colossal fuck up, but that Gore run was ridiculous. Countless broken tackles and he ran through a low hits stick. He didn't even jump it, he just ran through it!

I need a big HB. Fast HBs are shit against the 3-4 because they don't get those lucky releases.

Lonestar: then why don't you just switch to 4-3 and use Burgess as the DE? You talk about "archaic" rules, but nano blitz is still very much in this game.

Rorschach

AstroLad said:
hey man put me in for the cards if u got spots. HUGE fan also i ben training
If you get them, I'll trade you Boldin for 10 Raiders of your choosing!

And I'll throw in Cable for free!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If Bo Jackson is still on the Raiders (don't follow American "football" that closely), you'd be literally insane to give him up.

No-Mas-Tecmo-Bo-Shirt_181630DE.jpg

There's a reason why the man has a shirt in his honor.

LJ11

Wellie, you can just flip the two in package formations, so it doesn't have to be permanent throughout the game, ratings won't change.

With regards to bumping at the line, I just hit the RB button when I'm using a LB. It works well, but it also takes me out of position to make a play if I'm in zone, because the other LB doesn't jam consistently. Leaves a pretty big hole in the coverage, probably better to bump when you're in man.

Rorschach

AstroLad said:
If Bo Jackson is still on the Raiders (don't follow American "football" that closely), you'd be literally insane to give him up.

No-Mas-Tecmo-Bo-Shirt_181630DE.jpg

There's a reason why the man has a shirt in his honor.
Well, he was taken out of the league roster. He's banned in our online franchise and his number is retired across the league.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
LJ11 said:
Wellie, you can just flip the two in package formations, so it doesn't have to be permanent throwout the game, ratings won't change.

With regards to bumping at the line, I just hit the RB button when I'm using a LB. It works well, but it also takes me out of position to make a play if I'm in zone, because the other LB doesn't jam consistently. Leaves a pretty big hole in the coverage, probably better to bump when you're in man.
I've been playing around with my blitzes and what I can do with my DL, maybe I shouldn't say this, but I'm going to try out overload blitzing left and using Tuck in coverage, or bumping if it's the TE. If it works I'll see about using Osi in a zone in the same way. If I can eliminate the dink and leave only the dunk available, I'd be happy.

LJ11

I think the press coverage rating is a big factor whether you bump effectively or not. My weaker LB, Ellison who's trash, gets pretty shitty bumps. Kawika on the other hand does a nice job. My strong safety, converted corner, has a high press rating and he absolutely nails guys when I manually bump. He chucked one slot receiver back, receiver was in a stagger animation, and he then went back and bumped him again. Kept the receiver pinned at the line for a good 2 seconds, not exaggerating either.

Fifty

If Astro's serious about wanting a spot, and there's any chance he can get in..I'll vouch for him. He's the most reliable person I can think of that isn't a league regular. The Cards are free..he's from Arizona..let's make this happen! As long as he can handle the time commitment, I'll suck some co-commish schlong to get him in.

Rorschach

Fifty said:
If Astro's serious about wanting a spot...
You can never tell...

Astrolad kicked me out of his WE league and told me my shit stank a long time ago. Never forgave him. Especially about the shit comment.

But if he'd take it back, I'd totally vouch for him.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The best thing I bring to the league I think, is a sort of Renaissance-man attitude. Coming from a futbol-game background gives me a much better sense of context, and with context comes interesting observations and funny gifs. Like has anyone seen the "handegg" one? :lol Too true though.

Striker

Rorschach said:
On the other hand, Raiders can't tackle for shit. :p Coffee was a colossal fuck up, but that Gore run was ridiculous. Countless broken tackles and he ran through a low hits stick. He didn't even jump it, he just ran through it!

I need a big HB. Fast HBs are shit against the 3-4 because they don't get those lucky releases.
Ramirez did just fine with Willie Parker against my 3-4 defense. He stiffed Jamal Lewis, as well (the same Lewis who roid'd up and ran 150 yards vs. cb's Eagles). >_<

Once I get off work I'm going to test out different 3-4 defenses and see if there is any true differences.

LiveWire

AstroLad said:
The best thing I bring to the league I think, is a sort of Renaissance-man attitude. Coming from a futbol-game background gives me a much better sense of context, and with context comes interesting observations and funny gifs. Like has anyone seen the "handegg" one? :lol Too true though.

You don't know that Bo Jackson has been retired for umpteen years, and you think the "handegg" joke is funny?

2k2bur.gif

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Well the reason I'm not too worried is that Madden I believe to be a very strategy-focused game. And compared to soccer strategy (I'll just use that term here to avoid confusion, though I don't support it in the least bit), football strategy is quite simple. It's like comparing chess and draughts--there is absolutely nothing wrong with draughts, but a skilled chess strategist can master draughts in short order by leveraging his chess expertise.

It's that element that I am counting on being a big plus in my favor even with my lack of experience with football and with Madden.

Lonestar

The Handegg joke got someone permabanned. Seriously.

Football, just like the Internets. Serious Business.

I'll look some more into the Patty's, might try running with Multi-D, but don't know if that'll work out great, because I know it 's more or less, bare bones of all the defensive formations.

mbmonk

AstroLad said:
Well the reason I'm not too worried is that Madden I believe to be a very strategy-focused game. And compared to soccer strategy (I'll just use that term here to avoid confusion, though I don't support it in the least bit), football strategy is quite simple. It's like comparing chess and draughts--there is absolutely nothing wrong with draughts, but a skilled chess strategist can master draughts in short order by leveraging his chess expertise.

Will you send me a link to soccer strategy website? I honestly want to learn more.

If you think football is the 'checkers' equivalent then read this site and tell me if it changes your mind. http://smartfootball.com/featured-articles. I am not saying it will; the game is much deeper than I initially thought.
EDIT: The smartfootball.com website JUST transitioned to the new site. So the vast majority of content is located at http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/ but the new site links to most of the old content.

College and high school football has a much wider variety of offenses and scheme's. So if you really want your brain to melt try to learn those :).

PS: One Pat White to rule them all! :)

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
AstroLad said:

It's that element that I am counting on being a big plus in my favor even with my lack of experience with football and with Madden.
You have the game? I'd love to put your thoughts to a test. I consider myself a football stategist, so I'd love to see what you got.

Nightz

Quick question for you guys who have messed around with franchise mode already: If you create the online franchise, do you have the option of transferring the control over to another person?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wellington said:
You have the game? I'd love to put your thoughts to a test. I consider myself a football stategist, so I'd love to see what you got.
Will do--I am getting it this Friday actually so I will be behind on technical skills even more, but I've already accounted for that.

mbmonk--I will check out those sites.

Fifty

They can have their banner. They need something to look at as they wait around for hours for their opponents to show up and for someone to post in their soon-to-be dying thread.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Fifty said:
They can have their banner. They need something to look at as they wait around for hours for their opponents to show up and for someone to post in their soon-to-be dying thread.

oh shit son

LukeSmith

Fifty said:

:lol

Striker

Messing with the Online Franchise thing again...

Questions here.

1. How does Player Potential factor in? Says Brady Quinn is A. Does this simply indicate he has the highest potential to be a stud player? Etc. Little odd Mohamed Massaqoui's Potential is also A, but Brian Robiskie is B.

B. Where did you move the player's position? I still see "Trade Player, Change Jersey" in player management. :(

lol yeah shaun hill went white in my game with DCX, the next play i threw a pick 6.

also, new news!

i'll create the league and start the sign in process once the rosters are updated. i'm about finalized on our final roster, so that should be up soon as well (i think there are 3 teams left and i've already got enough input to fill it up)

Striker

Also, hmm. We can't trade players until after Week 1 is over? Maybe not, because I kept trying to sim the season. :lol

Lonestar

Brett Favra, COME ON DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNN

BrettFavra.jpg

Top Bottom