• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

bluemax

Banned
I guess I think the most important thing here is that we got a dialogue going. The guys last night were right in that I don't have the whole story from some of these blowouts but I think it is wrong to idly sit back and let that happen.

It is obvious at this point that the majority of the league is okay with how things are and I am happy that I've got everyone actively thinking about this. Because of this I won't say any more on it for the rest of the season.

Smokey

LiveWire said:
I agree, this is part of the reason why I was looser with trading my team. I'll get them back in Madden 11 anyway. Though in hindsight, I should've sent Orakpo to the Saints, but oh well.

Last season, I felt bad about beating up on storybook's Rams in my first game. I was up 35-7 in the 3rd and had a chance to score on a breakaway with Portis but I ran out of bounds. Then I had my 4th or 5th INT of the game in the 4th quarter and had a clear path to the endzone, but I beelined towards the sideline and then kneeled it out. That very same week though, I believe CB went 56-something against someone. And I guess Rors has to get to 72-7 before he can let off the gas. But I guess if you're the league's "best player(s)" no one complains.

this x 100

This is what I was saying last night. I get jumped all over yet he scores in the 60+'s and doesn't get any kind of crap said about it from others.

It's not a dig at Rors, just nobody else says anything to him about it and it makes it seem very "cliquesh" in here.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
No one is going to like Rors when's he's angry. :p

I kinda wish BJ would have explained his games with Rors, but he flat out got angry, blamed the Texans the first game and then blamed me after the Chiefs game.

I noticed Rors ran and threw an equal amount of times this last game and come on BJ threw the ball 46 friggin times. I'm sorry this is a sim league and he would never run? :\

Look at some of his past games, against smokey he ran 10 times total, against Luke even less. I could find more games I'm sure where he didn't run at all. No one seemed to complain about that or the fact it was causing his games to have strange scores.

He ran 2 fucking times against Cb....2!? and got blown out. Yet no one said shit and he wouldnt trade me Slaton for LJ. That goes along way in helping CB lead the league in rush defense :lol

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
It's that time of year where we give thanks and spread love around.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Matrix, of course he was probably going to lose with that kind of pass run scenario. Heck, it's one of the reasons I lost against Bob. But why 60 point wins, when a simple 40 point win is just as good? Stat Padding? Score Padding? What is the point of tacking on another 20-30 points?

And I lead the league in Rush Defense, and have done so for the last couple of weeks.

LiveWire

Matrix, I can't speak for BJ, but I can say that most of the players with "power" teams have never had to play in a situation where they're already down 21-0 in the 1st thanks to gimme INTs from Madden's decision to make bad/avg QBs grossly inaccurate or bizarre fumbles with their RB. Sure, you want to run the ball then to try and open up the passing game, but in Madden that doesn't work like it does in real life. Run blitzing is far too effective IMO. So then you're in a situation where you're down a few scores, every play (thanks to the 20 sec runoff) is chewing up massive amounts of clock, and before you know it it's the 3rd quarter and you're still down 21 or more. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy; you try to start with balance but you get picked a few times, and you end up down a lot of points. As the game wears on the only way to get back into it is to pass more which leads to more passing plays and more INTs.

Mrbob

daw840 said:
I'm the one who should be pissed here. I got swindled by Rors for a High School scrub quarterback!!!!!!!!!

JamarcusRussell-1.jpg

Matrix

Maybe BJ said before the game to just play all out and not to worry about the score...I don't know, the dude got mad and didn't explain the games. I agree with you that Rors could have stomped on the gas, but again I don't have a 100% clear picture on the game.

We can find Rors guilty for both these games, but BJ should have been looked at more closely for the not so sim like style of play he was playing each week.

Maybe Rors was having issues with his style of play and decided he would destroy him :\ I have no clue cause I have never been in any games like that *shrug*

I do find it strange BJ wasn't complaining about the scores.

Matrix

LiveWire said:
Matrix, I can't speak for BJ, but I can say that most of the players with "power" teams have never had to play in a situation where they're already down 21-0 in the 1st thanks to gimme INTs from Madden's decision to make bad/avg QBs grossly inaccurate or bizarre fumbles with their RB. Sure, you want to run the ball then to try and open up the passing game, but in Madden that doesn't work like it does in real life. Run blitzing is far too effective IMO. So then you're in a situation where you're down a few scores, every play (thanks to the 20 sec runoff) is chewing up massive amounts of clock, and before you know it it's the 3rd quarter and you're still down 21 or more. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy; you try to start with balance but you get picked a few times, and you end up down a lot of points. As the game wears on the only way to get back into it is to pass more which leads to more passing plays and more INTs.

Fuck that though, I would rather run out the clock or try to get a run game going then continue to pass when I'm down big and know I'm going to get picked off.

Why waste my time and the other players time. In my game against Crow I knew I had lost and I ran the ball in the 4th and scored and he didn't try to run the score up on me. It was a good clean game where I got my ass kicked.

BJ throws all game it just makes the game take even longer and leads to crazy shit.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
The only issue I have, and it is definitely not specific to Rors, if you're already up 30+ and the other poor guy has no shot, why take ints and fumbles back all the way? Why go for bombs? If your guys breaks away and is going to get big time YAC to the endzone, why not continue killing clock? I don't know about you guys but there are things to do aside from playing in a Madden game that is already decided. Let's not waste time.

Matrix said:
3rd rounder! 3rd rouunder!!!!!!!! :p
Well, that actually changes everything.... carry-on!

Matrix

Wellington said:
The only issue I have, and it is definitely not specific to Rors, if you're already up 30+ and the other poor guy has no shot, why take ints and fumbles back all the way? Why go for bombs? If your guys breaks away and is going to get big time YAC to the endzone, why not continue killing clock?

Well, that actually changes everything.... carry-on!

See I do agree with you on that and would have loved to read both sides of the story. I don't think BJ gives a shit though at this point. Curious to see what Rors says.

Damn right it does :p

Mrbob

I dunno about the scores, but to be honest my philosophy has always been is to beat my opponent if I don't want the score run up on me.

Btw I was using Sable's script and looking at stats and I notice a TE is number two in the league in receptions....

....but it is not Olsen.

It is a Raiders TE. :D

He is in the top 10 though, alongside my WR Bennett who is higher. I have a two headed beast now to throw too!

Ramirez

Honestly, if you don't come to GAF immediately after a BS loss, and just sleep on it, usually you wake up the next day not even caring in the slightest. It's worked for me this season!

Matrix

Mr.Boobs...That's the best weapon on O he has to use other than his HB.

Matrix

Mrbob said:
Yeah because the Bears wr core is just plucked with talent. :lol

You brought it up!

And despite the stats, no one will master you in TE cheese.

LukeSmith

Ramirez said:
Honestly, if you don't come to GAF immediately after a BS loss, and just sleep on it, usually you wake up the next day not even caring in the slightest. It's worked for me this season!

And you didn't even point out when you got B.S. "Troy's-on-the-cover-of-the-game" wins, too! :lol

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Here's the thing. If your throw a pick when I'm up big and there is an open lane, I'm taking it back. Sorry. I think FMT said it well earlier. You threw the bad throw. That's not on me. I run the ball out on offense. But if your trying to get cute when I'm up by 30 in the 4th quarter and it goes to my DB I'm taking it back to your house.

Ramirez

LukeSmith said:
And you didn't even point out when you got B.S. "Troy's-on-the-cover-of-the-game" wins, too! :lol

:lol

If it makes you feel any better, my game with Fifty went about the same as your game with me, only I got the short end this time.

daw840

CB3 said:
Here's the thing. If your throw a pick when I'm up big and there is an open lane, I'm taking it back. Sorry. I think FMT said it well earlier. You threw the bad throw. That's not on me. I run the ball out on offense. But if your trying to get cute when I'm up by 30 in the 4th quarter and it goes to my DB I'm taking it back to your house.

Wouldn't this also affect player progressions? I mean, a pick 6 would make their stats better when it progresses in the off season, right?

LiveWire

Matrix said:
Fuck that though, I would rather run out the clock or try to get a run game going then continue to pass when I'm down big and know I'm going to get picked off.

Why waste my time and the other players time. In my game against Crow I knew I had lost and I ran the ball in the 4th and scored and he didn't try to run the score up on me. It was a good clean game where I got my ass kicked.

BJ throws all game it just makes the game take even longer and leads to crazy shit.

Don't forget we have no chance to practice with our franchise teams in offline mode. For those without stud QBs, it's helpful practice to try and discern the fine line between completed pass and INT.

CB3

Probably not for me. People like Asante, Sheldon, Dawk, Q are as high as they are gonna get ratings wise

Matrix

LiveWire said:
Don't forget we have no chance to practice with our franchise teams in offline mode. For those without stud QBs, it's helpful practice to try and discern the fine line between completed pass and INT.

Schaub is a stud though.... in my mind :lol It's crazy that he has 27 ints already MADNESS I TELL YOU.

daw840

CB3 said:
Probably not for me. People like Asante, Sheldon, Dawk, Q are as high as they are gonna get ratings wise

See. That's the only reason I would be able to see actually running it back for a TD. If the ratings were going to be affected at the end of the season. If not, then your just being a douche. Sorry.

Rorschach

Wellington said:
Look at my game with LW in week 6 and Crow's game with Matrix in week 6. Both were blowouts but our run/pass ratios were lopsided and indicate we were trying to kill clock (For me in that game I had 13 pass attempts and 33 rushing attempts). I even have video of diving with my guy after breaking free on a KR so that I wouldn't pile on. It's just general sportsmanship. This "What am I supposed to do?" stuff is garbage in my opinion.
D
Fuck off. Your game is EXACTLY proof that it's not garbage. I threw ONCE in the entire second half of the 72 point game. Fucking once. And it was in the beginning of the third.

*Gasp* In your game against the Skins you threw a 71 yard pass in the middle of the third?! That should have been an FB dive at most!
*Shock* A 34 yard BJac run!? You should have run out of bounds and taken 4 knees!
*Hearattackomgwheremypills?!* You kicked FGs?! Those should have been Punts!

All of my wins have been blowouts. Each time, I've tried to throttle back the last quarter at least. Bluemax may not realize it, but I didn't throw once in the fourth against him. Maybe he thought he was just getting good all of a sudden. I took the clock down on the Ravens even though he was just giving me every excuse to run it up. I ran it out as best I could against Arizona too. I could have put up 60 on all these opponents, no offense to any of them. All my wins (barring 2) last season were blowouts too. I never had a complaint by MY OPPONENT then either.

The reason I didn't go for 2 in those games where FMT questioned me was because I somehow thought that it might be considered cheese or some shit. I even called timeouts because I had called for a two point and then just went for the PAT. I don't even know what to do anymore.

[edit]I didn't run them back. I had a clear shot twice in the second with Nnamdi and just let him fall. Although, that's probably stat padding too because I got the ball on offense omg! You can't win either way.

some of you seriously just bitch too much and whine about the littlest things. I for one cannot play in a league where there are 50 rules and if I have a big lead or got a big play (rare) I shouldn't have to think "hmmm I wonder if that guy is mad that I did a flat HB pass that went for 40 yards!" or "golly my RB just broke out a run where he has the whole field left for him, I should just dive and not get a TD!"

and by the way, if I give up 70 points, shame on ME, not on the guy who dropped 70 on me. when LJ kicks my ass everything looks like an exploit cause he seems to always do the right shit but I know he's just flat out better. I've won like a total of 2 legit games (others simmed) since I've been here, I get my ass kicked by Madden vets on a regular basis, and I still have a good time. and then when i have classic games, win or lose, like the one with Denog and DHskillz, sure I get annoyed but I appreciate the fun I got. its just a goddamn video game folks.

CB3

daw840 said:
See. That's the only reason I would be able to see actually running it back for a TD. If the ratings were going to be affected at the end of the season. If not, then your just being a douche. Sorry.
if your passing when the game is in control and making it last longer for me, then you better not throw a pick then I guess. Ill take it back on you. Its not like I'm running the score up. You passed it to me.

Mrbob

Yeah I have to agree with CB on that one. INTs running back for tds are not cheesy at all, regardless of the score.

If you are down 20 with 4 minutes left, might as well take the pick back to the house. Who knows what will happen. What if the the player runs the pick out of bounds. Then tries to run out the clock and fumbles the ball away, and its returned for a TD. All of a sudden the game is 20 to 7 instead of 27 to 0, big difference. Should the person who recovered the fumble not be able to return it then? We run into strange situations if this were to pass.

LiveWire

Rorschach said:
Fuck off. Your game is EXACTLY proof that it's not garbage. I threw ONCE in the entire second half of the 72 point game. Fucking once. And it was in the beginning of the third.

And yet you scored 3 more times, 2 TDs and a FG. You were already up 55-7 at the beginning of the 4th.

Rorschach said:
*Gasp* In your game against the Skins you threw a 71 yard pass in the middle of the third?! That should have been an FB dive at most!
*Shock* A 34 yard BJac run!? You should have run out of bounds and taken 4 knees!

*Hearattackomgwheremypills?!* You kicked FGs?! Those should have been Punts!

It was 31-17 at that point, and I was just starting to be able to get drives going. It was also a fluke TD pass as McIntosh tipped it and nearly intercepted but it went to Brown for a wide open TD. From then on Wellie basically ran and kneed it whenever possible. The BJac run was insurance, I was starting to drive and on Wellie's side of the field several times, unfortunately Morrow's INTs gave it back each time.

daw840

Mrbob said:
Yeah I have to agree with CB on that one. INTs running back for tds are not cheesy at all, regardless of the score.

If you are down 20 with 4 minutes left, might as well take the pick back to the house. Who knows what will happen. What if the the player runs the pick out of bounds. Then tries to run out the clock and fumbles the ball away, and its returned for a TD. All of a sudden the game is 20 to 7 instead of 27 to 0, big difference. Should the person who recovered the fumble not be able to return it then? We run into strange situations if this were to pass.

I was more speaking of the 72-7 score. LOL. Not when your only up by less than 3 scores.

Matrix

CB3 said:
if your passing when the game is in control and making it last longer for me, then you better not throw a pick then I guess. Ill take it back on you. Its not like I'm running the score up. You passed it to me.

I can understand this line of thinking and don't think it's completely douche like. Fifty used to get pissed off at me when I was losing bad against him in scrimmages cause I was just making the game last sooo much longer by throwing it every down and not attempting to run. He even flat out quit a couple of times cause I pissed him off.

I see both sides to the argument which is kinda annoying :(

Rorschach

LiveWire said:
And yet you scored 3 more times, 2 TDs and a FG. You were already up 55-7 at the beginning of the 4th.
By passing it? No. Wellie kicked those FGs too. Even though he was up so big he even came into GAF to post that he wished he could throttle it back more during the game.

LiveWire

CB3 said:

So someone made a few mistakes and is down 21 in the 4th. They're just not allowed to pass then? Only run plays? How about once someone takes a 3 TD lead why not just end the game right there? Let's see what you think after someone rings up 50+ point margins on you a few times a season and see how you like it.

Mrbob said:

It's one thing when it's risking a 20 point to 28-point lead vs perhaps going from up 20 to only up 13 in your example. But when you're up nearly 50 goddamn points, seriously, just punt the fucking ball or run into the line of scrimmage until you get tackled. If they score again, then you can score in return.

Rorschach said:
By passing it? No. Wellie kicked those FGs too. Even though he was up so big he even came into GAF to post that he wished he could throttle it back more during the game.

Well, the FGs I thought were unnecessary. Would've rather seen a punt through the endzone or a kneel on 4th down so I could practice some more on offense.

Mrbob

daw840 said:
I was more speaking of the 72-7 score. LOL. Not when your only up by less than 3 scores.

Yeah that is a different story.

It is tough to regulate but if I'm up 20 and i pick off a guy I'll take it back to the house.

If I pick him off again I'll run out of bounds and take some clock time. No need in showing up your opponent. There are times to realize when the game is over.

Christ, I finally caught up on all of the drama. :lol

WTF is going on here? Being a newb in the league, I got stuck with a shitty ass team because a vet has my team but I accept that I probably won't win much in this '10 league. I've only had really one problem this whole season and that person already knows what it was, and it was handled between us like it should've been. Why all of this petty ass shit needs to be brought into this thread is beyond me.

If you blow me out, run up the score, do other various jackass things, then just be ready that if I'm given the chance next time (not very fucking likely with the Rams) that I do the some of the same things in turn. I won't bring that shit into the thread though, you'll get a PM or an IM from me stating my problems and if it turns into some kind of daytime drama shit then I'll PM FMT or any of the other commishes and let them handle it the way they see fit. I'd expect the same thing in return though.

Matrix

Just have me play CB every game and he will quit the league.

DCX

DCX
CB3 said:
next time we play im going for 100

DCX

Rorschach

storybook77 said:
Christ, I finally caught up on all of the drama. :lol

WTF is going on here? Being a newb in the league, I got stuck with a shitty ass team because a vet has my team but I accept that I probably won't win much in this '10 league. I've only had really one problem this whole season and that person already knows what it was, and it was handled between us like it should've been. Why all of this petty ass shit needs to be brought into this thread is beyond me.

If you blow me out, run up the score, do other various jackass things, then just be ready that if I'm given the chance next time (not very fucking likely with the Rams) that I do the some of the same things in turn. I won't bring that shit into the thread though, you'll get a PM or an IM from me stating my problems and if it turns into some kind of daytime drama shit then I'll PM FMT or any of the other commishes and let them handle it the way they see fit. I'd expect the same thing in return though.
This whole shit wasn't even started by the opponent, though. It's by people that think they know the games better than the two guys who played them. It's fine if someone wants to complain about their opponent, but this isn't the case.

Rorschach said:
This whole shit wasn't even started by the opponent, though. It's by people that think they know the games better than the two guys who played them. It's fine if someone wants to complain about their opponent, but this isn't the case.

I know which is even more perplexing. I don't give a shit what someone does to someone else if that person doesn't have a problem with it, why should I? The only time I ever chimed in on an argument was when Shawn decided to take a very personal shot at DCX in this thread, otherwise it's none of my business unless a commish is asking for some kind of vote or poll.

Matrix

Whats funny is and like I said earlier BJ never complained about the score or Rors. He simply said he picks off eveything, I hate this game, I quit and you suck ass matrix for making everyone hate me, which isn't true.

More people have issues with me than BJ :lol

Nightz

How about we all just play some MW2 and blow off some steam by killing each other? Or L4D2? Slashing zombies with a samurai sword is always good fun. :D

Matrix

Nightz said:
How about we all just play some MW2 and blow off some steam by killing each other?

I can already picture the drama. Stop knifing me in the back, that's fucking cheese!

LukeSmith

It boils down pretty simply for the elite players (DM, FMT, Rors, Wellie, CB, LJ, Smokey)
"My better is better than your better."

That's it. Manage the game, minimize mistakes and sometimes Madden is going to beat you, and sometimes you're going to beat yourself and sometimes the other dude is going to beat you.

All of those guys, I assume actually spend significant time in practice - as cumbersome as that mode is - learning all kinds of things and coming up with different schemes for different teams. Their better is just going to better than your better (and my better!).

hf;gl

Top Bottom