• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

Striker said:
GG Pheenicks.

Five drops on the day, one being a TD for Massaqoui. Never really made big plays on either side of the ball. Ronnie Brown killed me, Ted Ginn was ice in the slot, and Greg Camrillo's catch made me believe it wasn't going to happen. :lol :\

yeah gg man. on your int i had no idea that lb was even there lol. kelly james>jack english

jack english can't play in the rain! that was his downfall! like unbreakable

damn i desperately needed that win. no room for error now and tough opponents coming up in the final 4 weeks. ugh....

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
GG dude, I don't care if I move down a little.... I'm just trying to gain some respect for the Texans.

I just want to say a big fuck you at being able to make 58 yard fgs that bounce off the post :lol

Rorschach

Matrix said:
GG dude, I don't care if I move down a little.... I'm just trying to gain some respect for the Texans.

I just want to say a big fuck you at being able to make 58 yard fgs that bounce off the post :lol
If it makes you feel any better, Jano made a 58 yarder without the bounce!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Rorschach said:
If it makes you feel any better, Jano made a 58 yarder without the bounce!

It really doesn't :lol I can't even come close to making a 40 something yard fg with Brown.

you guys should have seen the shit in my game with storybook. it was raining pretty hard and every kickoff BARELY made it to the 10 (even on a full bar), so there was good field position to be had all day. but then the FG's were even worse. i made a 35 yard FG by about 2 yards, and then storybook missed (i think) a 40-45 yard fg by a good 5 yards.

i think im going to draft all defense this season!

Matrix

I would have been missing those even without rain.

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
you guys should have seen the shit in my game with storybook. it was raining pretty hard and every kickoff BARELY made it to the 10 (even on a full bar), so there was good field position to be had all day. but then the FG's were even worse. i made a 35 yard FG by about 2 yards, and then storybook missed (i think) a 40-45 yard fg by a good 5 yards.

i think im going to draft all defense this season!
Draft a rain QB/WR combo.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
i gotta get to like the 27 yard line to have any sort of confidence that akers can put it through

Rorschach

And yet none of you wanted a piece of SeaBas when he was on the market. Your loss! He's a game winner, baby!

LukeSmith said:
I'd rather have a 99 kpw kicker than girley
Liar. I offered you the fucking farm along with Jano.

bluemax

Banned
LukeSmith said:
because corners are overpowered? because wideouts where you put up a jump ball are at a disadvantage because of FMTs anti-user catch facism? There has to be a reason why the slot is popular, right?

Or because it is damn near unstoppable unless you're good at manual coverage? I've tried everything I can think of to stop it, assigning a defender before the slot, calling a play that specifically doubles the slot receiver, jamming him at the line with my DE and yet most of the time the slot guy will get open and make a catch for a first.

I won't lie, for the first third of last season I'd call the same play everyone else in this league uses on third down as well. I ran into the 3 or 4 people who could stop it so I started mixing it up more. I also got a bit better at first and second down so that I didn't face as many third and a miles.

Honestly though I'd rather have to stop third and short or third and intermediate than third and long. When it is less than about 8 yards to go I know my opponents in this league are gonna try a normal play, but once it gets to over 8 yards it is almost always gonna be some kind of post route to a slot receiver.

LukeSmith

bluemax said:
I won't lie, for the first third of last season I'd call the same play everyone else in this league uses on third down as well. I ran into the 3 or 4 people who could stop it so I started mixing it up more. I also got a bit better at first and second down so that I didn't face as many third and a miles.

What play does everyone call on third down?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Blue is talking about post patterns that go towards the middle. From what I can remember, pretty much everyone does use it.

When you watch NFL games, a lot of teams run that pattern on third and long, so I don't really have a problem with it. I mean what do you expect, all three or four receivers to run fly patterns? It can be stopped with certain coverages so it's not a huge deal.

The win over FMT was bittersweet. It was a win but it hurt my draft position. At least I finish the season with a tour of the AFC West, this should be brutal.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
storybook77 said:
The win over FMT was bittersweet. It was a win but it hurt my draft position. At least I finish the season with a tour of the AFC West, this should be brutal.
I can't wait to get the NFC Best next season. I want revenge on Astro for knocking Eli out for three games. I will base my entire draft around the hit power rating.

(I still can't believe FMT's mini-collapse!)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sableholic said:
i'd probably like to get my loss out of the way early morning/early afternoon, what time are you getting back?
that sounds perfect. i get back in tonight at about 1.
can't wait to get the NFC Best next season. I want revenge on Astro for knocking Eli out for three games. I will base my entire draft around the hit power rating.

(I still can't believe FMT's mini-collapse!)
that would be three years in a row we play!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
storybook77 said:

You have to do it the Lions way! When we tank, we do it fully!

I wish there was a way we could see the draftees before the end of the season.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
AstroLad said:
that sounds perfect. i get back in tonight at about 1.

that would be three years in a row we play!
I hope we match up in the playoffs!!!!
catfight.gif

daw840

Livewire. What time do you want to play tomorrow? It's really hard for me to set this up because the fucking Nazi assholes at Sony haven't been able to fix my BRAND FUCKING NEW VAIO FOR THE LAST TWO FUCKING WEEKS.

bluemax

Banned
LukeSmith said:
What play does everyone call on third down?

Some kind of post pattern to a slot receiver.

I'm not saying I blame people for doing it since against a lot of teams throwing to your outside receivers is just asking to be picked, I just wish it was a little less automatic.

LiveWire

Nightz said:
Whatever happened to LiveWire's picks and the power rankings?

Sorry, I've been meaning to get some new picks up again but I've been tied up with trying to get everything squared away for my potential new job in LA.

I'm working on the last of the documents now so hopefully I can get some Week 14 picks up before the end of the day.

daw: I'm around all day tomorrow until around 5PM Eastern, so just AIM me (Atreides815) or post here. EDIT: Just noticed your comment about the laptop. How about noon Eastern tomorrow?

daw840

LiveWire said:
Sorry, I've been meaning to get some new picks up again but I've been tied up with trying to get everything squared away for my potential new job in LA.

I'm working on the last of the documents now so hopefully I can get some Week 14 picks up before the end of the day.

daw: I'm around all day tomorrow until around 5PM Eastern, so just AIM me (Atreides815) or post here. EDIT: Just noticed your comment about the laptop. How about noon Eastern tomorrow?

Noon should work for me. I will try to be on.

Ramirez

bluemax said:
Some kind of post pattern to a slot receiver.

I'm not saying I blame people for doing it since against a lot of teams throwing to your outside receivers is just asking to be picked, I just wish it was a little less automatic.

The problem is that 80% of the routes simply do not work most of the time. Ins and Outs always get picked for me, as well as curl routes. The passing game needs an overhaul, I hate how you can't throw a ball in anticipation of where a WR is going to be, I threw a pass about 2 games ago to Miller, and I threw it as he was breakin into his route, instead of going to where the play was designed, Roeth throws it 5 yards straight up the field, smh. The only thing that works with any consistency is slant routes and post routes, and they get labeled cheese, but most of the time it's the only thing a defender doesn't automatically pick off. :(

TheCrow

Ramirez said:
The problem is that 80% of the routes simply do not work most of the time. Ins and Outs always get picked for me, as well as curl routes. The passing game needs an overhaul, I hate how you can't throw a ball in anticipation of where a WR is going to be, I threw a pass about 2 games ago to Miller, and I threw it as he was breakin into his route, instead of going to where the play was designed, Roeth throws it 5 yards straight up the field, smh. The only thing that works with any consistency is slant routes and post routes, and they get labeled cheese, but most of the time it's the only thing a defender doesn't automatically pick off. :(

I agree with you for the most part. Outs can work if you throw a bit before the WRs makes his cut but even then some CBs already know the route before the snap and jump every move. I feel they toned down the passing game too much. Most of the time the deep ball is not a concern and WRs rarely fight for any jump balls. They go for the same over the shoulder catch while the CBs jump 2 feet off the ground and actually go for the ball.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Ramirez said:

TheCrow said:
I agree with you for the most part. Outs can work if you throw a bit before the WRs makes his cut but even then some CBs already know the route before the snap and jump every move. I feel they toned down the passing game too much. Most of the time the deep ball is not a concern and WRs rarely fight for any jump balls. They go for the same over the shoulder catch while the CBs jump 2 feet off the ground and actually go for the ball.

I have to respectfully disagree with you guys. In fact, I think that you must throw passes in anticipation in order to avoid some picks. Outs especially, defenders always play the inside on the horizontal routes.

I think this year's version is the best as far as passing goes since 2004 and I think our numbers reflect that. Wanting an overhaul is kind of crazy, considering the scores and passing yardage in our league.

I am surprised you guys are saying this as both your 1/2 receivers have great RTE and AGI ratings, the two determining factors for how routes are run (once in the open field, RLS rating is king, IMO). I always throw prior to the cut on posts, be it to WRs, TEs, or RBs. In fact, I've gone as far as making Nicks my #2 WR because the #2 routes in my PB are not as complicated as the ones for the slot or #1 guy. (And the fact that no matter what he is my second read, so I would never look at him before the cut is made).

daw840

CB3 said:
this just comes from the "I cant stop it so it must be cheese" argument.

True enough. Although I will say it does seem to be much easier to throw to the slot receiver in this game. That's why I had so much success last year with Harvin in the slot and Berrian as the #1. With Harvin as #1, it's much harder to get him the ball.

LJ11

There is no deep ball in this game, that's my main complaint. Fix that and guys will be more cautious about bringing the safety down in the box as much as they do. There's no fear of getting burned deep one on one on the outside. Man free should be a good base D, especially when you have the secondary to play it, but mediocre corners shut down the deep ball too well.

EA needs to reach some sort of middle ground. Just look at what they did with the Wildcat in patch 2. WC out of Miami playbook (and a few others) was too strong, it was pretty easy to gain the corner, and DE's did a poor job containing. Now they added a step near the handoff, and it's totally nerfed. There needs to be a way to defend it without having to kill the play completely via patch.

Mrbob

Yeah I agree with LJ about that. The only thing which is annoying is there really it is almost impossible to have deep ball play in this game. If someone is playing safety and you burn them on a PA coming in you should be rewarded. But most times you are not in Madden 10.

I don't understand the other complaints about passing. Unless you make a lot of dumb reads this year like I have, I think passing is too overpowered in this game. Especially since zone defense play is slightly broken in this game. Plenty of teams have high passing yards anyway.

DCX

DCX
Bah Roddy White leads the league in receptions and touchdowns and top 3 in yards as my number one WR. No excuses.

DCX

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
EA killed the deep ball when they shortened the distance QBs could throw the ball in the air. Ever notice how when you try and lob a ball it always falls short and the WR has to slow down while the DB can just stop and wait for the ball to come down? This is where total control passing would be most effective as I'd rather overthrow and see if my WR can get there than underthrow.

I've said it time and again, CB speed doesn't matter, they stay with the WRs regardless (unless they totally whiff on the bump). Webster has 85 SPD and he swats everything.

Also, regarding slot receivers, what do you expect when #3 receivers in this league are way better than #3 CBs? It's just the matchup. You have to mitigate the damage somehow or get better personnel.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I put Coles as my #1 WR, and Welker as my #3 :p Welker is not an outside the lines, #1 WR. I like the #2 routes alot for Bellows.

Guess I need to check out the Wildcat damage, as I had picked that up the last few weeks. Guess my short lived Running Prowess has come to an end.

I agree on DB speed not really meaning much. I've been run down (Bellows 96 speed) but Sub-85 speed DB's and LB's.

Matrix

If I got the deep ball back in this game...oh my

Ramirez

You can say we have high passing yards, but the vast majority of the league throws way more INTs than TDs. Some are due to poor reads, sure, but others are simply because the CB runs routes better than the WRs.

Anytime I try to throw a ball in anticipation it either goes directly to where the player is at that moment, or straight to the CB. Someone please explain to me how you lead a route in this game since it seems to be so easy?

LukeSmith

Wellington said:
I have to respectfully disagree with you guys. In fact, I think that you must throw passes in anticipation in order to avoid some picks. Outs especially, defenders always play the inside on the horizontal routes.

I think this year's version is the best as far as passing goes since 2004 and I think our numbers reflect that. Wanting an overhaul is kind of crazy, considering the scores and passing yardage in our league.

I am surprised you guys are saying this as both your 1/2 receivers have great RTE and AGI ratings, the two determining factors for how routes are run (once in the open field, RLS rating is king, IMO). I always throw prior to the cut on posts, be it to WRs, TEs, or RBs. In fact, I've gone as far as making Nicks my #2 WR because the #2 routes in my PB are not as complicated as the ones for the slot or #1 guy. (And the fact that no matter what he is my second read, so I would never look at him before the cut is made).

I mostly agree with Wellie, here.
That said, I think it's a bit too hard to throw to the outside shoulder and the deep ball this year - and the the contrary, it's a bit too easy to work the middle of the field and the flats.

Also, Wellie if you wanted to go tonight - I could probably do it.

Top Bottom