• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

BigAT

LiveWire said:
This is why I don't like the 20 seconds runoff. If you're down over 10 you might as well start going for it on 4th in the 3rd quarter because the other person can basically burn off half of the 4th quarter with a few runs and one or two first downs.

Wouldn't that be the case regardless? Except that both players would have to sit around and stare in boredom as the clock ticked away. It's not like clock runoff causes some magical time vacuum.

BigAT said:
Wouldn't that be the case regardless? Except that both players would have to sit around and stare in boredom as the clock ticked away. It's not like clock runoff causes some magical time vacuum.

yep, not having the 20 second run off wouldn't stop people from using that time I wouldn't think.

LiveWire

FrenchMovieTheme said:
nope, all i said was have him add a 6th and that was it. read your pm's closer brother!

oh and i play the redskins next week. time for morrow to see jack english.... up close and personal!

It's a rematch of SuperBowl XIX, this time, Morrow wins. Sorry Cool Joe, I mean, Jack.

LiveWire

BigAT said:

But it does.

Let's say there was no accel clock. If you sit there and stare at the clock running down manually, you're clock-milking. We had a rule against that before. You shouldn't be waiting until the clock hits :01 or :02 on your offensive plays if you're up by two scores over your opponent midway through the 3rd quarter. 4th quarter starts, be my guest to start milking the clock. 3rd quarter is too early and unfair to anyone who's down by over 10 points.

But with the accel clock on, a playcall goes from 38 seconds (if you get the play in immediately) all the way down to 11 by the time you can immediately snap the ball (that's if you snap right away without bothering to read the defense or double-check your WR routes. That's ridiculous, 27 seconds blown. It's unfair to the players who are trying to make a comeback and know their playbook well and get their playcalls in fast. You have to no-huddle just to have a chance, but no huddle drains stamina unrealistically because EA doesn't want cheesers no-huddling the entire game online, so you're screwed by that too. the clock accel should drop to at least 15, which would probably drop the actual time runoff to 21 seconds or 22, which is what the league claims it wants to be at.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I've had plenty of people come back from like 17 down in the fourth. On top of that I've scored up to 22 points in the fourth quarter to comeback and win last season. I really don't think this is an actual problem.

daw840

LiveWire said:
But it does.

Let's say there was no accel clock. If you sit there and stare at the clock running down manually, you're clock-milking. We had a rule against that before. You shouldn't be waiting until the clock hits :01 or :02 on your offensive plays if you're up by two scores over your opponent midway through the 3rd quarter. 4th quarter starts, be my guest to start milking the clock. 3rd quarter is too early and unfair to anyone who's down by over 10 points.

But with the accel clock on, a playcall goes from 38 seconds (if you get the play in immediately) all the way down to 11 by the time you can immediately snap the ball (that's if you snap right away without bothering to read the defense or double-check your WR routes. That's ridiculous, 27 seconds blown. It's unfair to the players who are trying to make a comeback and know their playbook well and get their playcalls in fast. You have to no-huddle just to have a chance, but no huddle drains stamina unrealistically because EA doesn't want cheesers no-huddling the entire game online, so you're screwed by that too. the clock accel should drop to at least 15, which would probably drop the actual time runoff to 21 seconds or 22, which is what the league claims it wants to be at.

Bu-bu-bu we were playing 8 minute quarters last year. Now we play 10 minutes. Thats EIGHT whole minutes extra.

daw840

Wellington said:
I've had plenty of people come back from like 17 down in the fourth. On top of that I've scored up to 22 points in the fourth quarter to comeback and win last season. I really don't think this is an actual problem.

I believe I came back from a pretty big deficit to beat you in the first season, and you said something about a 3rd quarter 4th down attempt...... :p

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
LiveWire said:
That one I can understand a bit, since he was closer to Moss. The other two where just WTF picks. I didn't know why you stopped at that point, I appreciate that you were trying to dial it down but that close to the goal line you shoulda just ran it in, that way I have a better chance of trying to make a comeback (as highly unlikely as that would have been with that extra score).

I didn't even notice when you put Tribow in until I saw the scramble. I assume you just sub-in using the packages on the playcalling screen? Very effective.

Yeah, didn't really start using the different packages ever in Madden, till Season 2, with all the Tribow use. Since he's more or less my power back (high Trucking and Carry) and Goaline QB, I need to sub him in at a moment's notice.

Now even using the packages a bit on Defense (like when the opponent is coming out 4 or 5 wide, and I bring out Dime, I'll sub in OLB Ends, which takes out my regular DE's, and puts my OLB's there. Both of my guys are actually rated higher at the end position than my starters, I just won't have any OLB's if I put them there all the time. But in the Dime, they wouldn't get on the field anyway, unless I did that.

I've got to keep Fargas as my 2nd back, even though I'd like to use Peerman more, just because I might need to sub in Fargas to get tough yards, and I don't want to have to pause the game to put him in for a play or 2.

Yeah, I could have ran in that INT, but I figure "get the game over with" and if I'm kneeling on the ball, there's 0 chance of anyone getting injured. Wouldn't want this 1 win negatively affect you or me, for the rest of the season (like the Real Steve Smith)

LJ11

CB3 said:
Ive said it before and ill say it again. I dont know the 4th down rules and i wont bother looking. If i feel i need to go for it im gonna go for it. This is football not Pansy ass shit. We might as well make the Konex rule where we Ask Madden and put the controller down on D.

No offense to LJ but if you were up 28-10 and and you let something like a 4th down attempt send you into a tailspin that caused you to lose thats on you not crow. And i know you acknowledged that.

You're right, this my new approach as well, fuck the rules and the so called spirit of the game. If I like you, I'm playing nice, if I don't I'm doing any and everything to win just like real NFL football.

Rorschach

daw840 said:
Bu-bu-bu we were playing 8 minute quarters last year. Now we play 10 minutes. Thats EIGHT whole minutes extra.
Bingo. The games take up almost the same amount of time. If we played 10 mins without the accelerated clock, we'd have way fewer participants and we'd have way higher scores (which is something people were complaining about last season).

LJ11 said:
You're right, this my new approach as well, fuck the rules and the so called spirit of the game. If I like you, I'm playing nice, if I don't I'm doing any and everything to win just like real NFL football.
Anything to win.™

CB's attitude is the exact opposite of what we want. :\

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
daw840 said:
I believe I came back from a pretty big deficit to beat you in the first season, and you said something about a 3rd quarter 4th down attempt...... :p
No, it was actually in the first quarter, in your territory.

Let's be clear, I generally do not have a problem with people going for it because they usually have reason to do so. However, when it's the first quarter and it's any of these 'backs:

1) Adrian Peterson
2) Michael Turner
3) Brandon Jacobs
4) Beanie Wells
5) Tank Lockwood

It's an issue because we all know that they won't go down on the first hit and we're basically taking advantage of the game mechanics. On that play I did hit you in the backfield and of course AP broke the tackle. I think I may still have it saved on my Xbox if you want to see it when I get home. I would run it right up the gut in a 4th and 3 situation because I am sure I can truck stick my way to the first with Jacobs.

daw840

Wellington said:
No, it was actually in the first quarter, in your territory.

Let's be clear, I generally do not have a problem with people going for it because they usually have reason to do so. However, when it's the first quarter and it's any of these 'backs:

1) Adrian Peterson
2) Michael Turner
3) Brandon Jacobs
4) Beanie Wells
5) Tank Lockwood

It's an issue because we all know that they won't go down on the first hit and we're basically taking advantage of the game mechanics. On that play I did hit you in the backfield and of course AP broke the tackle. I think I may still have it saved on my Xbox if you want to see it when I get home. I would run it right up the gut in a 4th and 3 situation because I am sure I can truck stick my way to the first with Jacobs.

I really don't think it was in the 1st quarter. I could have sworn it was in the beginning of the 3rd and I was down by a good bit.

LiveWire

LJ11 said:
Somnia better put him to good use.

I know what you mean, but when a guy is stuffing the box with 8 and blitzing up the middle, he must be punished and a toss is the only way to do it without risking a sack/hit into int/etc.

I rarely stuff the box or blitz 8 on runs, and people just automatically start tossing on me. :( Haynesworth's not THAT good guys! Please run up the middle at me, please? :(

Smokey

daw840 said:
I will say this about the 4th down rules. The only time that it would bother me is if it is constant. If you never punt on a 4th down the entire game thats just not right. The only time that I have ever said WTF on a 4th down attempt was week 1 versus the Chargers. Well within field goal range and went for it on 4th and 1, on the opening drive of the game. I stopped him, so it was a dumb decision on his part when he should have just taken the points, but with the way that game went I would have probably been a wee bit peeved at that if it would have been successful.

I was beyond the 20 yard line within your territory. The score was 0-0. It was well within my right to go for it in that situation if I felt the need to, which I did. You made the stop so it backfired on me. Obviously leaving points on the field is part of the risk, but I know this going in.

daw840

Smokey said:
I beyond the 20 yard within your territory. The score was 0-0. It was well within my right to go for it in that situation if I felt the need to, which I did.

Don't get me wrong Smokey, I'm really not upset about it. I would have lost that damn game either way.:lol

edit: I just thought the rule said something about only if you are in that "dead zone" outside of field goal range but a punt would only net 20 yards or so.

Lonestar

You try running portis up the middle on Haynesworth? Try someone smaller :D :(

Gotta get away from him, before his Gravity Well pulls in the Running Back.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
You guys are hillarious. Do you think they look over some rule sheet in the NFL when they wanna go for it? Maybe Rex Ryan sends a text message to Jim Caldwell next week to make sure its ok? Honestly. Its 4th down. not some fucking exploit. If LJ Stopped him there would be zero talk about this becuase LJ would have started his drive in scoring position and probably seal the game .

There are far more pressing issues that get ignored and you guys are discussing someone going for it on 4th down when he is losing.

LiveWire

FrenchMovieTheme said:
god damn lonestar you weren't kidding. you had 7 RB's before unloading maroney :lol

He could definitely do some damage. He called in a 2-0-3 formation in the playcalling screen, so I expected the Full House formation. Nope. Comes out 5 wide with 5 RBs. :lol I was so shocked I almost didn't get a timeout called.

Lonestar

LiveWire said:
He could definitely do some damage. He called in a 2-0-3 formation in the playcalling screen, so I expected the Full House formation. Nope. Comes out 5 wide with 5 RBs. :lol I was so shocked I almost didn't get a timeout called.

That time, I actually didn't do anything. I only have 4 WR's and I believe 3 of them were tired, so IN COME THE HB's!

Which isn't too terribly bad. Slaton, Peerman, Mata, and A. Smith can make "ok" WR's. All have some speed, and average catching abilit (70's).

LiveWire

daw840 said:

We were playing 10 min quarters last year, and Season 1, what are you smoking?

Ramirez

Someone better nip this in the bud and enforce some rules, we have a "commish" openly admitting that he doesn't even know the rules and will cheese you on 4th down if he deems it necessary, really?

I've had countless people go for it on 4th and 1 or 2 on opening drives when they were well within FG range. Normally I always kick the FG in a situation like that, but now I feel like I have to go for it because I know they will.

I know those plays can be stuffed, I did it twice last night, but it's more about the spirit of the game, those situations would end in FGs in real life 90% of the time. Bellicheck has ruined our no cheese rules with his 4th down blunder!

Who went for it on 4th down when they were up by 7 French? To me, that's like almost worth a dismissal from the league, IMO.

Smokey

CB3 said:
You guys are hillarious. Do you think they look over some rule sheet in the NFL when they wanna go for it? Maybe Rex Ryan sends a text message to Jim Caldwell next week to make sure its ok? Honestly. Its 4th down. not some fucking exploit. If LJ Stopped him there would be zero talk about this becuase LJ would have started his drive in scoring position and probably seal the game .

There are far more pressing issues that get ignored and you guys are discussing someone going for it on 4th down when he is losing.

But this isn't the real NFL ColdBlooded3.

LiveWire

Lonestar said:
That time, I actually didn't do anything. I only have 4 WR's and I believe 3 of them were tired, so IN COME THE HB's!

Which isn't too terribly bad. Slaton, Peerman, Mata, and A. Smith can make "ok" WR's. All have some speed, and average catching abilit (70's).

Oh no, don't get me wrong it was a great move. And I might have been OK to leave in my 4-3 setup. But I was just :O .

Lonestar

Ramirez said:
Someone better nip this in the bud and enforce some rules, we have a "commish" openly admitting that he doesn't even know the rules and will cheese you on 4th down if he deems it necessary, really?

I've had countless people go for it on 4th and 1 or 2 on opening drives when they were well within FG range. Normally I always kick the FG in a situation like that, but now I feel like I have to go for it because I know they will.

I know those plays can be stuffed, I did it twice last night, but it's more about the spirit of the game, those situations would end in FGs in real life 90% of the time. Bellicheck has ruined our no cheese rules with his 4th down blunder!

:D

Fake Punt 4 LFE

Look, I went for it on 4th down 3 times against Rorschach. Surprised I made all 3. Once I was down 21-0 in the 1st quarter, and throwing picks left and right...at some point, when I got my offense under control, I did all that I could to try and come back. I almost did.

Guys, just realize that sometimes, the guy you're beating the shit out of, he might want to try and win the game too.

To Clarify: I used the Fake Punt run on 4th down against Pheenicks last season, in the make up quarter. I was still "up" on him, thinking back that I was leading by 18 points or so in the 1st game, before the disconnect happened. So we played 1 more quarter, and he needed to score 18 or more points, winner gets to play the CPU. At the point I run the fake, he's up 15-0 in the make up quarter (or I'm "up" by 3). So, I can't stop him on offense, I had to preserve the win, I did what I had to do.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Its football. Its not abusing some exploit. Its part of the rules. You can't cheese anyone by going for it on 4th down. Its not cheap.

And before I start getting accused (I see I already have), I probably go for it on 4th down the least of anyone. I went for it against AT and that's the only recent time I can recall doing that. my point is that if in the heat of battle I decide I need to go for it, I'm gonna go for it. Not refer to some bullshit rules telling me what I can and can't do. This isn't jetpacking. This isn't moving multiple players on D or manually blitzing. Its basic football

Smokey

CB3 said:
Its football. Its not abusing some exploit. Its part of the rules. You can't cheese anyone by going for it on 4th down. Its not cheap.

And before I start getting accused (I see I already have), I probably go for it on 4th down the least of anyone. I went for it against AT and that's the only recent time I can recall doing that. my point is that if in the heat of battle I decide I need to go for it, I'm gonna go for it. Not refer to some bullshit rules telling me what I can and can't do. This isn't jetpacking. This isn't moving multiple players on D or manually blitzing. Its basic football

I agree.

However, everyone's feelings must be taken into account here.

bluemax

Banned
Lonestar said:
Guys, just realize that sometimes, the guy you're beating the shit out of, he might want to try and win the game too.

And here I thought the league was to give GAFs elite Madden players life validation and not about competitive balance or sportsmanship.

Comparing going for 4th down and short in Madden to real life is just laughable. The FB dive doesn't work 99% of the time in real life. If they ever fix it to where 4th down is just as hard to convert in Madden as it is in real life, then we won't need the rules anymore.

AirBrian

Ramirez said:

Who went for it on 4th down when they were up by 7 French? To me, that's like almost worth a dismissal from the league, IMO.

Yeah, I agree. Either enforce the rules or don't.

Luke went for it on 4th-1 from my 2-yard line. It was I think either in the 2nd or 3rd period and the game was either tied or he was down 7 points. I guess technically it was against the rules, but honestly, I had no problems with it at all because I would've done the same exact thing. And it's something most coaches would do in real life.

storybook77 said:
Comparing going for 4th down and short in Madden to real life is just laughable. The FB dive doesn't work 99% of the time in real life. If they ever fix it to where 4th down is just as hard to convert in Madden as it is in real life, then we won't need the rules anymore.

it worked 0% of the time for me last night :(

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
bluemax said:
And here I thought the league was to give GAFs elite Madden players life validation and not about competitive balance or sportsmanship.
I, unfortunately, am willing to bet that I put more hours into Madden, Madden strategy, and Madden theory than any of my opponents. I don't really play other videogames, don't have (nor want) a gf, I live alone, and I don't have anything else to do on my hour long commute on the subway, so why not spend the time strategizing. I don't consider myself on the level of Rors, Smokey, FMT or LJ but the obsessiveness with which I approach the game almost evens out the difference.

I do think that through the draft and just improving over time, the league overall is getting tougher. If we had a cap system in place I am sure that parity would be pretty close to NFL levels. Hell, the Broncos were one of the worst teams in season 1 and won the SB in season 2.

storybook77 said:
For teams with good to great O-Lines that shit is almost automatic though especially against weaker defenses. :\

daw840 said:
Like I said earlier, I stuffed Smokey on a 4th and short FB dive. That may have been my favorite moment in the game.

I'm not saying it never is stopped but how many NFL teams have the stones to run a FB dive on 4th and short, especially in their own territory, with a guy who rarely touches the ball.

Lonestar

I vary week to week in preperation, though I go more with self scouting and trying to find and add new wrinkles to my own game. I'll gleem over stats, and see which players seem to be "go to" players for my opponents, but I don't get too into detail. I'll just know who "the runners and the throwers" are.

But beyond that, no need, because what you do, can force them into doing something totally different than what they normally do. Like putting up points on Livewire, made him drop his running game, etc.

I will spend a decent bit playing with my edit Patriot team offline. The players are all there from the online league, and I test out formations and plays in gameplay, not practice mode. Practice mode, you just don't get realistic CPU defensive formations to match what you are doing.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
storybook77 said:
I'm not saying it never is stopped but how many NFL teams have the stones to run a FB dive on 4th and short, especially in their own territory, with a guy who rarely touches the ball.
898.gif

Lonestar

It'll be nice to finally get a home game, after 3 road games. Course, it's CB3 time. There will be no punting this game.

I could very well lose 4 games in a row. They are: Eagles, Bills (LJ), Bronco's (Crow), Ravens (Fifty). That's the NFC Champion, Both AFC Title game contenders, and Mr. Glass himself, wanting revenge for last years game. OY

Nevermind that I follow that with Cowboys (Somnia), Colts (Luke) and a game against my old nemesis, the Giants (CK)

Tough tough season...

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Lonestar said:
I vary week to week in preperation, though I go more with self scouting and trying to find and add new wrinkles to my own game. I'll gleem over stats, and see which players seem to be "go to" players for my opponents, but I don't get too into detail. I'll just know who "the runners and the throwers" are.

But beyond that, no need, because what you do, can force them into doing something totally different than what they normally do. Like putting up points on Livewire, made him drop his running game, etc.

I will spend a decent bit playing with my edit Patriot team offline. The players are all there from the online league, and I test out formations and plays in gameplay, not practice mode. Practice mode, you just don't get realistic CPU defensive formations to match what you are doing.

Well I don't practice with my OF team, but like you I do more self scouting than scouting of the other person. Like I told Luke a few weeks ago, the defensive can figure itself out, I believe that I can put big time points up on anyone (aside from LJ). Minimize your mistakes (ints) and you'll be surprised how many more games you win as a result. Been using the same playbook for years now so I have a call for every situation.

I look at tendencies more than anything else. Take away a player's first read and usually they're helpless.

Lonestar

Wellington said:
Well I don't practice with my OF team, but like you I do more self scouting than scouting of the other person. Like I told Luke a few weeks ago, the defensive can figure itself out, I believe that I can put big time points up on anyone (aside from LJ). Minimize your mistakes (ints) and you'll be surprised how many more games you win as a result. Been using the same playbook for years now so I have a call for every situation.

I look at tendencies more than anything else. Take away a player's first read and usually they're helpless.

And that's why i added some more offensive players. I just have to avoid going to Bellows all the time, and to actually use Welker, he's pretty damn good. Not in the Moss sense, but he'll catch anything and loves to break tackles. Bringing back the TE and having Barclay, on top of Slaton. Throw in the Tribow Surprise, and I've baked me a Random Cake of Spectacular Cheesiness.

bluemax

Banned
I've found that at most I can stop FB dive 3 times in a row but no more. I've had at least two games where my opponent ran FB dive 3 or more times in a row from the 1 or 2 before getting it in. I think on the last attempt each time I had the FB in the backfield and still didn't stop it.

The annoying part was knowing that in real life those teams wouldve gone to their stud RBs instead of their no name FBs.

Top Bottom