• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

Nightz

Lonestar said:
People should be smart enough to use the swap HB package, and it'll put the starting HB in at FB.
I like the dual HB package myself....sticks your #2 HB in at FB. Works well if you have a speed back at #1 and power back at #2.

LiveWire

Lonestar said:
People should be smart enough to use the swap HB package, and it'll put the starting HB in at FB.

I've run packages with Portis in a variety of Pro Sets in Sellers' position, and have about a 50/50 chance with FB Dive. I think it's a pretty fair guessing game. For my opponents, I worry more about TE slant passes or outside runs on 3rd and 4th & short plays. Everyone seems to think you can't run at Haynesworth.

The only effective nerfing for short yardage EA did was with QB sneak. Even with millimeters to go, I've seen a QB fall short too quickly and get stuffed at the goal line.

Nightz said:
I like the dual HB package myself....sticks your #2 HB in at FB. Works well if you have a speed back at #1 and power back at #2.

Dual HB in the West Coast offense is great.

english tied for lead league in passing TD's, crabcakes leads league in receptions.

it also looks like we're going back to season 1 in regards to RB receptions. there are like 7 RB's in the top 10 receptions list :lol

LiveWire

FrenchMovieTheme said:
english tied for lead league in passing TD's, crabcakes leads league in receptions.

it also looks like we're going back to season 1 in regards to RB receptions. there are like 7 RB's in the top 10 receptions list :lol

Must be that "elite"-level passing game that us noobs can't grasp.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Who's first read on any passing play is someone coming out of the backfield?

My worst play goes TE -> FB -> WR2.

On the season I've got 6 receptions by dudes out of the backfield, in both games I got blitzed pretty hard though so I'm not too concerned. To put it in perspective, Steve Smith had 7 receptions against the Rams before his untimely demise. :'(

daw840

Wellington said:

My worst play goes TE -> FB -> WR2.

On the season I've got 6 receptions by dudes out of the backfield, in both games I got blitzed pretty hard though so I'm not too concerned. To put it in perspective, Steve Smith had 7 receptions against the Rams before his untimely demise. :'(

I am so gunshy about throwing anywhere close to any other defender because of JRuss it will inflate my RB catches.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
FrenchMovieTheme said:

Here's something I would have thought I'd never see from Astro. Beanie Wells with more receptions than Larry Fitz. Heck, Roy Hightower has the same amount of catches as Fitz. Astro was King Receiver :(

Wellington said:
What happened in season 1?

:lol

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Lonestar said:
Here's something I would have thought I'd never see from Astro. Beanie Wells with more receptions than Larry Fitz. Heck, Roy Hightower has the same amount of catches as Fitz. Astro was King Receiver :(

Roy is actually his slot receiver.

Lonestar

Wellington said:
Roy is actually his slot receiver.

Oh, I see. The Hightower made me think of the RL Cardinals HB. This is a different Hightower. So not quite as bad, but still, I think Fitz has 230 career receptions in our league.

Wellington said:

It depends on how the defense is playing. If I see the blitz coming from the side that the rb goes out on, then I might read one of my receivers but then I'm going to check down to the rb if he's open especially if it's a 3rd down and I just need a few yards for the first.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
FrenchMovieTheme said:

That isn't a good development.

LiveWire

Just for shits and giggles I looked at the Redskins receptions totals for Seasons 1 and 2 and this year so far (3 games):

1. Chris Cooley, TE (98 receptions)
2. Santana Moss, WR (82 receptions)
3. Clinton Portis, RB (65 receptions)
4. Marko Mitchell, WR (51 receptions)
5. Devin Thomas, WR (50 receptions)
6. Antwaan Randle El, WR (37 receptions)
7. Mike Sellers, RB (32 receptions)
8. Malcolm Kelly, WR (29 receptions)

Guess I need to start throwing to Portis and Sellers more like our elite players do.

Lonestar

LiveWire said:
Just for shits and giggles I looked at the Redskins receptions totals for Seasons 1 and 2 and this year so far (3 games):

Guess I need to start throwing to Portis and Sellers more like our elite players do.

Joesph Addai had 4 less catches in Season 1, than Chris Cooley has had in 2.1875 seasons

Also, thinking on it, Randy Moss and LT, of all people, have been on 3 different teams, in 3 seasons. Adalioius Thomas was on 3 teams inside of 2 seasons!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
LiveWire said:

Isn't heavily focusing on the TE considered cheese as well?

What's the reception leader list look like, can't access Sable script from work. :|

Also, we're 2 weeks into the season, relax. :|

bluemax

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:

In my defense I tried to get the ball to Housh then Butler then Carlson and then LeRon.

I admit to calling a decent number of screens but with all the blitzing in this league that is just smart football!

Lonestar

Wellington said:

What's the reception leader list look like, can't access Sable script from work. :|

1. Crabtree 22
2. AP 17
3. Scooter Chapman (RB) 16
4. C Cooley TE 14
5. Roscoe Parrish WR 13 (man, FMT's forgoing the run this year, 2 in the top 5)
6. Dallas Clark TE 12
7. Beanie Wells HB 12
8. J. Bellows WR 11
9. Braylon Edwards 11
10. LeRon James HB 11

I call certain plays with certain recievers in mind. But most, I usually have 1 or 2 more targets if I the defense doesn't open up how I want for that 1st target.

BigAT

Here's the top 10:

Michael Crabtree San Francisco 49ers 3 22
Adrian Peterson Minnesota Vikings 2 17
Scooter Chapman Kansas City Chiefs 2 16
Chris Cooley Washington Redskins 3 14
Roscoe Parrish San Francisco 49ers 3 13
Dallas Clark Indianapolis Colts 2 12
Beanie Wells Arizona Cardinals 2 12
Jamarion Bellows New England Patriots 3 11
Braylon Edwards San Diego Chargers 3 11
LeRon James Seattle Seahawks 2 11

Games/Receptions

It's obviously going to be a bit jacked up since there have only been 2-3 games, but the only players to make the top 10 with only two games played are running backs and Dallas Clark.

LiveWire

Wellington said:

Cooley is a H-back/TE, he should be used in the passing game (though he's a better blocker in Madden than he is in real life).

I expect to see Jason Witten and Owen Daniels with a lot of catches too. When your #1 WR for 2 seasons was Santana Moss, I dunno what else you expect. People take for granted their Andre Johnsons and Randy Mosses.

Only included those players with at least 10 receptions so far this season (RBs bolded):

Michael Crabtree San Francisco 49ers 3 22 221 10.05 73.67 20 0
Adrian Peterson Minnesota Vikings 2 17 184 10.82 92.00 23 0
Scooter Chapman Kansas City Chiefs 2 16 144 9.00 72.00 29 1
Chris Cooley Washington Redskins 3 14 243 17.36 81.00 61 1
Roscoe Parrish San Francisco 49ers 3 13 189 14.54 63.00 26 1
Dallas Clark Indianapolis Colts 2 12 102 8.50 51.00 15 0
Beanie Wells Arizona Cardinals 2 12 94 7.83 47.00 15 0
Jamarion Bellows New England Patriots 3 11 186 16.91 62.00 27 1
LeRon James Seattle Seahawks 2 11 185 16.82 92.50 50 1
Roddy White Atlanta Falcons 3 10 117 11.70 39.00 27 0
Steven Jackson St. Louis Rams 3 10 95 9.50 31.67 22 0
Greg Camarillo Miami Dolphins 3 10 104 10.40 34.67 20 1
Maurice Jones-Drew Indianapolis Colts 2 10 86 8.60 43.00 24 0
DeAngelo Williams Jacksonville Jaguars 2 10 132 13.20 66.00 58 0

Devin Hester Chicago Bears 2 10 238 23.80 119.00 51 3
Jared Cook Jr. Tennessee Titans 2 10 92 9.20 46.00 20 1
Bo Scaife Tennessee Titans 2 10 66 6.60 33.00 18 0
Steve Smith New York Giants 2 10 135 13.50 67.50 21 0

daw840

Well, if its any consolation I am pretty sure that my heavy HB passing attack caused AP to get injured last season, effectively eliminating my chances of winning.

BigAT said:
Here's the top 10:

Beanie Wells Arizona Cardinals 2 12
Games/Receptions

It's obviously going to be a bit jacked up since there have only been 2-3 games, but the only players to make the top 10 with only two games played are running backs and Dallas Clark.

You all can ignore Wells, that was almost all cpu (7)

LiveWire

Lonestar said:
Joesph Addai had 4 less catches in Season 1, than Chris Cooley has had in 2.1875 seasons

Also, thinking on it, Randy Moss and LT, of all people, have been on 3 different teams, in 3 seasons. Adalioius Thomas was on 3 teams inside of 2 seasons!

Holy shit! I'm definitely throwing to Portis now, fuck running the ball.

Lonestar

LiveWire said:
Holy shit! I'm definitely throwing to Portis now, fuck running the ball.

Season 1 was Nuts. Addai 94 catches, AP 90 catches, Forte with 73. Throw in Dallas Clark with 85 catches, Greg Olsen with 82, John Carlson with 75. It was a smorgasbord of RB/TE passes.

My progression of Reciever-RB-TE receptions changed after Season 1.

S1: 50 % WR 26 % RB 24 % TE
S2: 65 % WR 25 % RB 10 % TE
S3: 64 % WR 20 % RB 16 % TE (so far)

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
LiveWire said:
Cooley is a H-back/TE, he should be used in the passing game (though he's a better blocker in Madden than he is in real life).

I expect to see Jason Witten and Owen Daniels with a lot of catches too. When your #1 WR for 2 seasons was Santana Moss, I dunno what else you expect.
Eh you're right. I remember getting shit for passing to Shockey a lot when I had Toomer and Ike Hillliard as one and two. WTF was I supposed to do?!?

I don't really pass enough for my RBs to even register on the list. :lol :(

LiveWire

Lonestar said:
S1: 50 % WR 26 % RB 24 % TE
S2: 65 % WR 25 % RB 10 % TE
S3: 64 % WR 20 % RB 16 % TE (so far)

Yea, most of Portis' receptions came season 1 when it was basically 3 choices to pass, him, Moss (who's usually double or triple covered) and Cooley. Mitchell and Thomas have had like 90% of their catches last season and this season are already becoming top targets (finally).

LiveWire

Wellington said:
Eh you're right. I remember getting shit for passing to Shockey a lot when I had Toomer and Ike Hillliard as one and two. WTF was I supposed to do?!?

I don't really pass enough for my RBs to even register on the list. :lol :(

Well you've kept up drafting the 3-headed giant in the running game and your O-line is probably top 3 in the game. I wouldn't let Eli have the ball that much either if the running game is working and you can make stops on defense. With your receivers' attributes', you should be able to throw passes into tight spaces and have your guys complete dink passes for 3-7 yards and keep the chains moving, but Madden doesn't like that. Madden likes interceptions, and TAINTS.

and turducken.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
It seems like every time I try to get the ball to AJ this season I get picked off. Guess I should have held on to Moss, he helped free things up for him. I guess I beat Smokey because I woke the fuck up and decided not to force anything.

I have thrown to my TE's more in 3 games because of this. I also have had a ton of drops by all my receivers. Not sure what that's about.

In my game vs Smokey yesterday Owen Daniels was wide open in Smokey's red zone and caught the ball and then dropped it. It was ruled a incomplete pass, but it was just weird. It was almost like the game programmed him to drop it and screw me. Keep in mind I was losing at this point and wanted to break my controller.

Is it just my team in general or are you guys seeing more dropped passes?

Somnia

I tend to spread the ball out and don't focus on one guy. My RBs dont usually see more than 2-3 receptions a game unless I'm getting a heavy blitz (,|,, CK). Now Jason Witten on the other hand...ya he gets thrown to a bit :D

LiveWire

Matrix said:
In my game vs Smokey yesterday Owen Daniels was wide open in Smokey's red zone and caught the ball and then dropped it. It was ruled a incomplete pass, but it was just weird. It was almost like the game programmed him to drop it and screw me. Keep in mind I was losing at this point and wanted to break my controller.

I had that happen last night to Santana Moss. Caught the ball, took a few steps, defender caught up and then the ball came out. At first I thought it should be a fumble, but the game considered it an incomplete pass (no review of the play by the refs). It was really weird, it wasn't like it was a quick catch, start to make a move and then get hit right away, Moss clearly went a few yards with the ball, and then it came out when the defender hit him.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
LiveWire said:
I had that happen last night to Santana Moss. Caught the ball, took a few steps, defender caught up and then the ball came out. At first I thought it should be a fumble, but the game considered it an incomplete pass (no review of the play by the refs). It was really weird, it wasn't like it was a quick catch, start to make a move and then get hit right away, Moss clearly went a few yards with the ball, and then it came out when the defender hit him.

Yep that's exactly what happened with OD, I was figuring fumble or something. It was just odd, but really he should have never dropped the ball.

Ughhh I hope this doesn't happen more often.

Lonestar

LiveWire said:

Yeah, I remember this play too :lol

Matrix

I wonder if Smokey remembers the play. I know I paused the game for a few seconds to gather myself and I wanted to see if I could challenge something :lol Of course I couldn't and there was no booth replay.

Smokey

Matrix said:
It seems like every time I try to get the ball to AJ this season I get picked off. Guess I should have held on to Moss, he helped free things up for him. I guess I beat Smokey because I woke the fuck up and decided not to force anything.

I have thrown to my TE's more in 3 games because of this. I also have had a ton of drops by all my receivers. Not sure what that's about.

There are definitely more dropped passes.

Matrix said:
I wonder if Smokey remembers the play. I know I paused the game for a few seconds to gather myself and I wanted to see if I could challenge something :lol Of course I couldn't and there was no booth replay.

All I remember is you pausing the game after that sweet Sproles TD for like 60 yards towards the end of the game. I thought he stepped out and it was within the 2 min mark, but no booth review came.. I immediately know something potentially bad could happen over there when you paused the game for like 10 seconds:lol

Matrix

Smokey said:
There are definitely more dropped passes.

All I remember is you pausing the game after that sweet Sproles TD for like 60 yards towards the end of the game. I thought he stepped out and it was within the 2 min mark, but no booth review came.. I immediately know something potentially bad could happen over there when you paused the game for like 10 seconds:lol

Yea I paused on that one too, it really did look like Sproles did step out and it was still over the 2 min mark so I was expecting to be able to get the booth replay.

I started laughing out loud in a joker type of laugh and kept repeating "are you fucking kidding me Smokey ARE YOU FUCKING kidding me" along with the laughter. I'm glad I don't have a working mic, you guys would have me locked up by now.

Thankfully it all worked out since Mason doesn't need a lot of time to get it into the end zone :D Actually the biggest play of the game imo was that PA I had to Walter *Thanks Lone* that even gave me the chance to pull off the GW td run with Mason.

Lonestar

Hey, Conner Barwin leads my team in sacks, with 3! I might even hit 30 team sacks before the season is over!

I need to upload either Bellow's 88 yard Punt Return, or Edelman going Edelbeast (Live has to know this play)

Matrix

I had two sacks with Super Mario in the SAME GAME :eek: I think I had 1 sack with him in all my games last season :lol

Sacks are up, drops are up, fumbles might be down, HB cheese is back.....

what the heck

Nightz

Striker, would you be able to go around 5 pm PST?

Matrix said:
I had two sacks with Super Mario in the SAME GAME :eek: I think I had 1 sack with him in all my games last season :lol

Sacks are up, drops are up, fumbles might be down, HB cheese is back.....

what the heck
It's the circle of life.

Smokey

Matrix said:

Yea I paused on that one too, it really did look like Sproles did step out and it was still over the 2 min mark so I was expecting to be able to get the booth replay.

I started laughing out loud in a joker type of laugh and kept repeating "are you fucking kidding me Smokey ARE YOU FUCKING kidding me" along with the laughter. I'm glad I don't have a working mic, you guys would have me locked up by now.

Thankfully it all worked out since Mason doesn't need a lot of time to get it into the end zone :D Actually the biggest play of the game imo was that PA I had to Walter *Thanks Lone* that even gave me the chance to pull off the GW td run with Mason.

I don't understand how I can sack Matt Schaub for a big loss AND MY GUY IS THE ONE HURT FOR 3 WEEKS.

tha fuck

Matrix

Smokey said:
I don't understand how I can sack Matt Schaub for a big loss AND MY GUY IS THE ONE HURT FOR 3 WEEKS.

tha fuck

The Madden God's were out to get you for what you did to me. They don't accept booze and drunken behavior as an excuse :p

Honestly, it's one of Madden's quirks. You hit me so damn hard, you should be glad it's his ribs and not his spleen.

Top Bottom