• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

LukeSmith

Rorschach said:
It's become less about football strategy and more about "is there a way to combat this cheese? Is it an unbeatable cheese? I know! I must counter it with CHEESE!" That's not really fun for me and it's the exact opposite reason I play in this leagues. And if people are using this shit mercilessly against players who already have a hard enough time competing, then that's a fucking fun at all and I can see why people want to quit now.

It's a bit like the real NFL in that way, the Wildcat is the NFL version of cheese. Tons of teams have a wildcat formation now - the copycats see what is successful in the NFL or what works against certain teams and then gameplan around it.

DCX got shut down by Nickel Odd Split and then turned and used it on Bob - assuming that Bob can actually recognize NOS (which let's be honest, is a bit of a stretch). But now we all know DCX can't play against Nickel Odd so if people want to beat him they can try and run that. It's another (admittedly frustrating) layer on the cat and mouse game, but just like Strong I Close, I'm sure people will figure out how to stop it and then disseminate the solutions for it in hushed tones, PMs and IMs.

Wellington said:
Sable's undefeated Saints, for which I have some new things I want to try out on defense.
a) probably won't be undefeated by then.
b) :( you terrorized me enough our game back in season 1.

LukeSmith said:
It's a bit like the real NFL in that way, the Wildcat is the NFL version of cheese. Tons of teams have a wildcat formation now - the copycats see what is successful in the NFL or what works against certain teams and then gameplan around it.

DCX got shut down by Nickel Odd Split and then turned and used it on Bob - assuming that Bob can actually recognize NOS (which let's be honest, is a bit of a stretch). But now we all know DCX can't play against Nickel Odd so if people want to beat him they can try and run that. It's another (admittedly frustrating) layer on the cat and mouse game, but just like Strong I Close, I'm sure people will figure out how to stop it and then disseminate the solutions for it in hushed tones, PMs and IMs.

I never get those pms or ims :(
That said are people really changing playbooks depending on who they play? I've kept the same offensive playbook three seasons now and the defensive one I only switched up near the end of last season. Maybe I'm just too lazy. I don't have Nickel Odd Split or Strong I Close and never will cause I'm just to lazy to put in the time learning another playbook.

Rorschach

I can beat (or at least contain) them, but I can't really give a formula that works for everyone. I don't even think Nickel Odd Split is a big deal, but it is funny that people want to use it because they think it's unbeatable. It's not. It's just something people aren't used to seeing. Once you get rid of the intimidation factor, it's not really all that great.

The wildcat is a good example for the NFL copy cat league, but no one really used it to the extent Miami did and no one started running it on every down. Also, there's the difference that real life can't be glitched and that we're not getting paid to win.

sableholic said:
That said are people really changing playbooks depending on who they play? I've kept the same offensive playbook three seasons now and the defensive one I only switched up near the end of last season. Maybe I'm just too lazy. I don't have Nickel Odd Split or Strong I Close and never will cause I'm just to lazy to put in the time learning another playbook.
People are switching whenever they hear something is overpowered. :lol I don't think it's for every game.

I switch once every off season just to keep the game feeling fresh. So 3 total. On defense, I used the same for 2 seasons.

BigAT

sableholic said:

I've used the same offensive/defensive playbooks since game 1. I think I'm in the same camp as you though. I don't use them because I believe they're godlike and unstoppable, I'm just familiar with them and way too lazy to give anything else a serious try at this point.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I am switching between defensive playbooks, still the same on O. On is geared against the pass, the other against the run, so that's how I determine.

bluemax

Banned
Playing smart real world football doesn't work in this league. I've been trying every season only to lose to Rollex passes, Andow jump balls, goal line hand offs to fullbacks and not Frank Gore, people throwing TE posts that safeties don't cover, JBust and Freeman going John Elway on me etc etc.

I've already stated that I think it might be a good idea to make another league for all of you win at all costs types. That way those of us who don't spend 15 hours a week on YouTube and sharkwaters can play a less competitive brand of Madden.

Rorschach said:
People are switching whenever they hear something is overpowered. :lol I don't think it's for every game.

I switch once every off season just to keep the game feeling fresh. So 3 total. On defense, I used the same for 2 seasons.

Thats too much work lol. I've had this playbook for 3 seasons and I'm still incorporating new plays I've never used all the time during practice.

BigAT said:
I've used the same offensive/defensive playbooks since game 1. I think I'm in the same camp as you though. I don't use them because I believe they're godlike and unstoppable, I'm just familiar with them and way too lazy to give anything else a serious try at this point.

Glad I'm not alone in the lazy boat :)

Mrbob

Yeah I've been sticking with the same offensive playbook for awhile. Ironically, though, I never use it in scrimm games so I don't tip my hand. Maybe I should though as I don't know if this helps of hinders me running different books in scrimming versus league games. :lol

I recently made a defensive playbook switch to one that I feel is the most dyanmic and can handle all situations. This is what season 3 is for me...not necessarily tanking like others say but a season of testing. There are certain plays I run on offense and defense I know can put me in a bad position, but I run them anyway to see how everything reacts on the field. Besides, my league team is drastically different from the scrimm team I can use, so I can use these games to try out different items and see what works for the future. If there is one that is. :lol

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
bluemax said:
Playing smart real world football doesn't work in this league. I've been trying every season only to lose to Rollex passes, Andow jump balls, goal line hand offs to fullbacks and not Frank Gore, people throwing TE posts that safeties don't cover, JBust and Freeman going John Elway on me etc etc.

I've already stated that I think it might be a good idea to make another league for all of you win at all costs types. That way those of us who don't spend 15 hours a week on YouTube and sharkwaters can play a less competitive brand of Madden.
Uh... what about throwing drags/ins on every single passing play, do they do that in real life?

Nightz

I think I tried like 3 different defensive playbooks over the course of last season. Since it was my first time using the Bengals I had no idea what I was doing and how to utilize my players. This year I think I've found something that works for me so I'll be sticking with it!

Edit:
Rorschach said:
Btw- any of you guys with PS3 Burnout want to get that race going this week? We never did get that in. :( We can shoot for Saturday and maybe fill up!

I know I'd be in along with DM who has expressed interest and maybe Nightz. That's 3 right there! I think Dskillz said he was interested way back in that first offseason? Let me know, fellas!
I'm still down, but I don't think I can do it this Saturday. Got a graduation party to go to.

Rorschach

sableholic said:
Thats too much work lol. I've had this playbook for 3 seasons and I'm still incorporating new plays I've never used all the time during practice.

Glad I'm not alone in the lazy boat :)
Guess I have ADD. :( I just feel that I get complacent (and eventually bored) if I use the same book all year. I might even switch now to a more pass oriented book since McFadden is dead. :'(

Nightz said:
I think I tried like 3 different defensive playbooks over the course of last season. Since it was my first time using the Bengals I had no idea what I was doing and how to utilize my players. This year I think I've found something that works for me so I'll be sticking with it!

Edit:

I'm still down, but I don't think I can do it this Saturday. Got a graduation party to go to.
Dang. That's probably our best bet because of "The Big Game" is on Sunday. Don't hurt me NFL, I didn't say the words!

bluemax

Banned
Wellington said:
Uh... what about throwing drags/ins on every single passing play, do they do that in real life?
Have you ever heard of the Airraid? Seriously I can link you to stuff on Airraid passing concepts. I went full on Airraid in the middle of season 1 because I couldn't run. I've relaxed on it some because I can run more now and because people caught on.

I'd throw to the outside more if it was realistically possible and if I hadn't been scarred for life by 3 seasons of facing Asmougod.

Trust me I'd love to throw certain types of passes but I've seen no evidence in games or practice mode that they are possible with any consistency in Madden.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
bluemax said:
Have you ever heard of the Airraid? Seriously I can link you to stuff on Airraid passing concepts. I went full on Airraid in the middle of season 1 because I couldn't run. I've relaxed on it some because I can run more now and because people caught on.

I'd throw to the outside more if it was realistically possible and if I hadn't been scarred for life by 3 seasons of facing Asmougod.

Trust me I'd love to throw certain types of passes but I've seen no evidence in games or practice mode that they are possible with any consistency in Madden.

This is me.

I rarely through regular ole out routes. It's batted down or intercepted 80% of the time for me. I also do no use very many Hook Patterns, because the CB's always make the move to the ball, and not the WR.

The only type of routes that go to the outside that I throw, are HB Flat passes, the outward route (on the slant play, usually this route is the TE's and the Slot WR), and the occasional "I don't know it's name, but its shaped like a C/backward C" (WR runs in, then up, then back out.

It's usually plays toward the middle of the field for me. Slants, drags, or just the good ole Post route.

Mrbob

DCX I'm heading out today after work, so I won't have time to get our rematch in until later tonight. We'll have to play tomorrow night after Burn Notice or sometime on Friday.

DCX

DCX
Mrbob said:
DCX I'm heading out today after work, so I won't have time to get our rematch in until later tonight. We'll have to play tomorrow night after Burn Notice or sometime on Friday.
Dude we had plans for 4pm? :/

DCX

Mrbob

No we didn't. :D I asked you last night what time you worked till...you told me 4 est. I don't even get home from work till about 5:30 est. Something came up, gonna head out for a bit tonight. Around 6 est. Tomorrow I'm home almost all day till around 3 est, or can play after 10est. Friday I should be home around 3 est. Home for the weekend, gonna be Mass 2ing it up the entire time so I'll be around.

LJ11

I love how bluemax brings up AirRaid, guess he's referring to mesh concepts, and yet last year he took exception when I was throwing drags to Parrish. Guess he read something on a football website so it's now a bonafide strategy, as opposed to last year when it wasn't.

This game is busted on the defensive side of the ball, I really don't want to play it anymore, and if you guys have a replacement in mind I'm out.

Mrbob

Aww damn don't quit LJ. Unlike Rors, you are one of the true legitimate elites in the league with your play. If you decide to quit, teach me how to play dline like you do before you go!

Birdman02

LukeSmith said:

The funny thing is it wasn't the NOS that shut him down. I was in regular 3-4 formations almost exclusively on 1st and 2nd downs. I only went nickel on passing downs. The reason his offense struggled is because almost all of the Titan's defenders were actually making tackles on 1st contact, and I guessed right on line stunts on about 3/4 of his running plays.

As for playbooks, I've used the Saint's O since midway through season one. I just switched to Baltimore's D 3 games ago because my 4-3 was getting gashed on the run, and I wanted to try a base 3-4.

DCX

DCX
LukeSmith said:

I didn't use NOS!!! WTF Bob?!! You going to be a bitch and say shit behind my back don't be a pussy and address me via PM, or AIM. I used 1-5-5 fucker, if you needed to know with a healthy does of 4-6, so fuck off.

DCX

DCX

DCX
You know, i'm not playing that punk ass Bob, from the BS trade shit you put me through to now being a stealth whinny bitch, sim it. Have fun with you Mass Effect.

DCX

Mrbob

:lol

I saw your playbook and I ran down that formation after the game was over in practice. But if you didn't use it fine must have been my eyes. Actually I really don't care if you use it, I just thought it was hilarious. Run whatever you want.

LukeSmith

DCX said:
I didn't use NOS!!! WTF Bob?!! You going to be a bitch and say shit behind my back don't be a pussy and address me via PM, or AIM. I used 1-5-5 fucker, if you needed to know with a healthy does of 4-6, so fuck off.

DCX

Ya'all are freaking out too much - like I said, I didn't think that Bob could necessarily identify it anyway!. The league is spiraling out of control!

DCX

DCX
Mrbob said:
:lol

I saw your playbook and I ran down that formation after the game was over in practice. But if you didn't use it fine must have been my eyes. Actually I really don't care if you use it, I just thought it was hilarious. Run whatever you want.
That's not the point, you have issues with me, concerns...talk to me. I should know better after the last time we dealt with other and your BS crusade to make me trade you a player, you're a joke.

DCX

DCX

DCX
LukeSmith said:
Ya'all are freaking out too much - like I said, I didn't think that Bob could necessarily identify it anyway!. The league is spiraling out of control!
Not the point. I think the game is taking a toll on me, last three weeks goes as follows...looooong bye, Airbob, Airbird, and now the real bob..it's grating...

DCX

LukeSmith

DCX said:
Not the point. I think the game is taking a toll on me, last three weeks goes as follows...looooong bye, Airbob, Airbird, and now the real bob..it's grating...

DCX

Brother, when we advance to our game - there will be no waiting. Tank's time will come and you will look back on the fond moments you spent with him and these long weeks will feel like joy-filled eternities.

LukeSmith

Birdman02 said:
The funny thing is it wasn't the NOS that shut him down. I was in regular 3-4 formations almost exclusively on 1st and 2nd downs. I only went nickel on passing downs. The reason his offense struggled is because almost all of the Titan's defenders were actually making tackles on 1st contact, and I guessed right on line stunts on about 3/4 of his running plays.

As for playbooks, I've used the Saint's O since midway through season one. I just switched to Baltimore's D 3 games ago because my 4-3 was getting gashed on the run, and I wanted to try a base 3-4.

Yeah you've run NO and HOU on O when we've played, IIRC. Both have served you well. I think one of the advantages of 3-4 in general is people are just more used to seeing 43 fronts, so people are having a hard time getting used to seeing it and it's creating some mental blocks and a bit of World of Excusecraft.

I know I've had a harder time in some games dealing with a 3-4 just because it's not a look I've seen a lot with the usual suspects that I scrim against.

DCX said:
Special D for Bob. Thanks for the 2 cents.

DCX

lol dude I seriously wasn't trying to start anything (I thought I covered my bases in my post, but I guess not). I'm honestly curious if anyones ever seen it run. I doubt the madden folks would throw it in there if it wasn't, I just personally have never seen it.

Striker

sableholic said:
Not trying to start shit, but does any NFL team really run a 1-5-5? Serious question not meant to start anything.
The Steelers have done so, and while I haven't watched many Jet games, I'm sure they did with Rex Ryan's scheme.

Helps for teams with great nose tackles.

LukeSmith

sableholic said:
lol dude I seriously wasn't trying to start anything. I'm honestly curious if anyones ever seen it run. I doubt the madden folks would throw it in there if it wasn't, I just personally have never seen it.

I think NE has run it in the past actually.

Mrbob

It is cute you are playing the victim card when:

1) I got screwed on that trade deal. Not you

2) Your connection disconnected our game

3) I didn't mention the NOS with any malicious intent to a couple people in private. I thought it was funny and just a sign of how this season has gone as a whole.

4) I gave you an olive branch by even allowing a replay in the first place.

But Friday should be good to play.

Thanks striker/luke/lj. I don't generally watch the pats play, but I'm surprised they'd have the lbs to run that kind of d. I just don't know many teams with 5 decent lbs (who could shed blocks). That said if there was a nose tackle capable of it it would certainly be wilfork...assuming hes not to busy gouging out someones eyes.

LukeSmith

LJ11 said:
Patriots do it for sure, which is why I think it was only found in their playbook last year.

Also, you aren't allowed to quit. You and Rors aren't allowed to quit until I've beaten you both in the playoffs

so like, never :(

DCX

DCX
Mrbob said:
It is cute you are playing the victim card when:

1) I got screwed on that trade deal. Not you

2) Your connection disconnected our game

3) I didn't mention the NOS with any malicious intent to a couple people in private. I thought it was funny and just a sign of how this season has gone as a whole.

4) I gave you an olive branch by even allowing a replay in the first place.

But Friday should be good to play.
1) Commishes screwed you, then you tried to play me
2) indeed it did and i'm working on solving that issue ( new router etc )
3) I didn't even run NOS which is why i'm upset
4) Olive branch, it was the only thing to do in that situation as if i allowed you to play the CPU you know i would have lost for sure.

Either way Friday is fine.

DCX

DCX

DCX
Moving on, LJ bro, don't go :/ Unless of course life strikes, i mean we need players of your stature in this league to keep us sane.

DCX

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, the 1-5-5 is in the patriots D playbook. I'd go back to it, but I don't have the LB's for it, I believe. I could try, but it'd probably just result in failure...which happened anyway.

Might as well try it!

Smokey

DCX said:

DCX

:lol :lol :lol

omg i havent been around since 2k league started up again..read this last page..so good

sort of kind of feels good that i was able to win a SB when the game was exciting for everyone and not people abusin the shit out of certain D schemes, super human rookies etc

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
LukeSmith said:
Also, you aren't allowed to quit. You and Rors aren't allowed to quit until I've beaten you both in the playoffs

so like, never :(
LJ is not only not allowed to quit per league unwritten rules, his punishment for breaking said rules is to convince fifty to come back.

Top Bottom