• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

Striker

FrenchMovieTheme said:
lol maclin would be so lucky as to wear a beard made of crabbys pubes. he aint shit and neither is your boy reggie brown.
05.gif

Guy made a large thread on 3-4 for Madden '10. Haven't read it all, but interesting nonetheless. Posts after share FMT's belief about EA not using it up to its highest potential.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/madden-nfl-football/344498-3-4-defense-beginners.html

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
LukeSmith said:
Mathis, Freeney and Raheem Brock. I'd part with one of them for Braylon
Kiwanuka is rated the same as Brock and he's five year's younger, meaning he's likely got a higher POT rating.

LJ11 said:
You can really run a WC offense with this Madden, setup pick plays all day, quick read and boom. It's really fun actually, because you're reading the D and just throwing to the man based on the route vs coverage. You can really play games in the flats which opens up the middle, passing is fun.

I haven't really found a lot of pick plays so far (Giants playbook is a little different from last year) but I agree with this. The only thing that sucks for me is that my TE is my best receiver, he's slow as shit.

Also, I am starting to get down the whole power running thing thanks to Shawn. I was able to break out of a four man gang tackle last night with BJac - like he did against me with MB3. I'm finally getting used to the blocking logic in this year's game too, I think that the line fires off the ball a little differently than they did last year. I am excited for the league this year.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Actually the other thing I was messing around with a little was blitzing packages and generating pressure overall. I am still not getting the kind of pressure that I want to get, and yes I understand that it's not possible to get a sack every play. The only thing I've had any kind of success with is overloading one side, which is a recipe for disaster if the QB rolls the other way. Shooting either A or B gaps has not done much to help me, which is a surprise since I have solid DTs and I'm in a 4-3. Even run blitzing isn't all that effective.

I've thought about flipping Boley and Clark so that Boley is on Osi's side because they are both pretty fast, but then I am screwed with TEs out on routes. Pierce is consistently picked up by the floater that didn't pick up either of the two DTs (G/C/G). Even something that theoretically should work unless the OLine flows with you, like Free Fire off of the base 4-3 with the line attacking right. The mike and sam attacking the A/B gap on the left should come through relatively cleanly assuming the DL does it's job and attacks the LT, LG, C, and RG. Even with a 'back staying in to block there should be pressure. I've seen weird shit like this happening (excuse the huge watermark, but you get the idea):

1249995553049.gif

Maybe it's just amazing heads up play by the RT, but I don't know how many times that happens IRL when it's not designed.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I spent about 2 hours last night in Practice mode running random plays against a random defense and I noticed some positive changes to things like players getting separation (both running backs and receivers), defenders not using spidey-sense to make plays, and blockers picking up blocks better. There was one play where my TE was picked up by a defensive lineman and followed him all the way down the field. I got flushed out of the pocket, saw the mismatch, and threw a strike to the TE for a TD. The SS did try to come in and assist, and in Madden 09 he likely would have broken up the play after sprinting from one side of the field to the other, but this was not the case. I found more times than not last night that passes that were open at the time I pressed the button yielded the expected outcome and were not spoiled by a seemingly super-human defender.

AirBrian

FrenchMovieTheme said:
lol maclin would be so lucky as to wear a beard made of crabbys pubes. he aint shit and neither is your boy reggie brown.

also, unrelated to that, the biggest bitch DEFENDER i've played in the game so far is keith bullock of the titans. motherfucker is all over the placing making tackles, getting picks, and causing fumbles! does he think he's P-will??
And by "bitch" I'm sure you mean "awesome"!

Striker looks like you found the info you were looking for. My quick two cents is that the 3-4 is a liability against the run in Madden. Too many holes open up vs. a 4-3. I'll be using the "Multiple D" defensive playbook this year.

Been playing my offline franchise. It's good to see that EA put a lot of time and energy into it. The presentation touches are nice, but ti's got a ways to go before it equals what 2K5 did there.

The biggest issue I see are the frequency and severity of the injuries. In just 3 weeks in franchise; I've lost my best guard (Leonard Davis) to a 7 week injury (torn bicep), Felix Jones to a 4 week injury (torn shoulder labrum), and Roy Williams to a season ending injury (torn ACL).

For those of you with a lot of depth at a position; DONT TRADE IT AWAY! You'll likely need it! :(

EDIT - EA is one shrewd company too. In the medical center, there is a big "Accelerator Available" callout for a "Play Through the Pain" option. Costing 80 Microsoft Points, you can magically have any of your players recover from any injury... What bullshit...

LJ11

You're right about overloads, they work very well Wellie. With regards to the Free Fire blitz, when you shift the line to the right, your NT should be lined up over the center, reblitz/stunt him so he takes on the center. You can then re-blitz/stunt, the DE next to him as well, but I don't think it will matter that much. Your OLB and MLB will charge the gap, and one is going to come through, usually it's the Mike.

If you shift and move guys around manually, blitzing is too effective and the OL is lost, '08 levels of lost. I had a guy run some retarded D, looked like one of those Nickel D's out of a 3-4 book, I couldn't get the ball off.

He would slightly move his LB's and the corners would come flying in off the edges. He was using the Dolphins, he switched his starting corners to a couple of rookies, I thought I would torch them. Both Davis and Smith(?) jammed my receivers at the line so well, even Owens was getting roughed up at the line. Checked their press ratings after the game, both were 90+. How the hell are two rookies rated so high in a category like that?

Can't wait until more of you pick up the game, sick of playing these guys who BnR, blitz every down, and move players around.

LJ11 said:
He would slightly move his LB's and the corners would come flying in off the edges. He was using the Dolphins, he switched his starting corners to a couple of rookies, I thought I would torch them. Both Davis and Smith(?) jammed my receivers at the line so well, even Owens was getting roughed up at the line. Checked their press ratings after the game, both were 90+. How the hell are two rookies rated so high in a category like that?

Because they are REAL MEN and REAL MEN play for the MIAMI DOLPHINS.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
LJ11 said:
You're right about overloads, they work very well Wellie. With regards to the Free Fire blitz, when you shift the line to the right, your NT should be lined up over the center, reblitz/stunt him so he takes on the center. You can then re-blitz/stunt, the DE next to him as well, but I don't think it will matter that much. Your OLB and MLB will charge the gap, and one is going to come through, usually it's the Mike.

If you shift and move guys around manually, blitzing is too effective and the OL is lost, '08 levels of lost. I had a guy run some retarded D, looked like one of those Nickel D's out of a 3-4 book, I couldn't get the ball off.

Can't wait until more of you pick up the game, sick of playing these guys who BnR, blitz every down, and move players around.

You in for a game later tonight?

What I like about this game over previous years is that it feels like much more of a thinking man's game. Yeah you need the fast twitch responses and can get fucked up if you're not thinking quickly enough (throwing picks, missing tackles, etc) but for the most part, sound strategy beats arcade skills.

Just about the only thing I don't like about the game so far is that when you switch players it doesn't ever get you the guy you want.

DenogginizerOS

Shawnwhann said:
EDIT - EA is one shrewd company too. In the medical center, there is a big "Accelerator Available" callout for a "Play Through the Pain" option. Costing 80 Microsoft Points, you can magically have any of your players recover from any injury... What bullshit...
That is some grade-A BS!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Is anyone having trouble with sweeps and tosses? My linemen cut upfield instead of continuing the line and picking off on-coming defenders. What's weird is that I see this more often when I run with Jacobs. When I hit it with Bradshaw, the linemen shoot out properly. Maybe the speed is a factor?

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
DenogginizerOS said:
That is some grade-A BS!

as long as it doesnt work with online leagues im good with it. if people wanna blow money on stupid shit offline thats fine with me

SMOKE

Banned
Man something has to be done about this wildcat formation out of the run n gun playbook, it is unstoppable and I havent found anyone anywhere that has an answer for it. I think this play should be banned, its a bailout play and it works as if you dont even have defenders on the field, even the QB blocks like he a linmen just enough for the RB to get thru untouched to the endzone.

I have had this ran on me this last game like 5 times with westbrook having over 400yds with 7 carries.

Does anyone have an answer for this i have tried everything in my playbook to try and slow it down and the only thing that works it seems like is the 1-5-5 which I dont have in my PB.

Fuck it, ban the wildcat formations period, I just ran it out of my teams pb (49ers) and its not even funny how much you get out of this formation to the point you feel guilty for even running that play.

Game still good but if this continues then I will stay in leagues that dont allow this to be done, and I am serious!!!

DenogginizerOS

Wellington said:
Is anyone having trouble with sweeps and tosses? My linemen cut upfield instead of continuing the line and picking off on-coming defenders. What's weird is that I see this more often when I run with Jacobs. When I hit it with Bradshaw, the linemen shoot out properly. Maybe the speed is a factor?
I found this to be a problem, too, with Jones last night. I had more success running inside.

DenogginizerOS

CB3 said:
as long as it doesnt work with online leagues im good with it. if people wanna blow money on stupid shit offline thats fine with me
True. But if the injuries are set to be more frequent to try and cash in on this and that setting is not adjustable via a slider in the online leagues, there could be a lot of injuries.

LJ11

Wellington said:

I found that they work well when you have at least two linemen pulling, one or less and I get stuffed, so I don't really try it if the play is designed around one. No speed burst until I see the OL engaged, then I hit whatever hole is open.

SMOKE, have you tried putting guys in contain and spying, maybe that will help slow it down.

GQman2121

Banned
Wellington said:

My biggest problem with the tosses and sweeps are my pulling linemen not touching guys who are right in their blocking paths. Instead of heading down field to block, they'll turn around--as I'm attempting to turn the corner with my RB--and block guys who are behind us!!!

SMOKE

Banned
LJ11 said:
I found that they work well when you have at least two linemen pulling, one or less and I get stuffed, so I don't really try it if the play is designed around one. No speed burst until I see the OL engaged, then I hit whatever hole is open.

SMOKE, have you tried putting guys in contain and spying, maybe that will help slow it down.

Tried and it worked once, other than that this play has the blocking of a wall made of steel:lol

Its so frustrating that it will piss off the kind of people who dont get pissed at what goes on in video games.:lol

Like I said, there's a way to stop it but i dont like to cheat or play unfairly, and this game is way to good for people to even resort to playing like that.

Its simple, if you cant play the game then find something else to do with your time:D

Thats how I feel about and I wish EA would feel the sameway.

Btw I just got signed out of PSN, is it down for anyone else.

Mrbob

Yeah it sucks having to wait.

The good news is I received a reward zone coupon in the mail this week for 10 percent off regular priced videogames at best buy starting on friday, day madden is out.

Striker

Shawnwhann said:
Striker looks like you found the info you were looking for. My quick two cents is that the 3-4 is a liability against the run in Madden. Too many holes open up vs. a 4-3. I'll be using the "Multiple D" defensive playbook this year.
Thanks Shawn.

I thought the info was fairly basic. I'm no football expert like John Clayton or Chris Mortensen, but my knowledge of 3-4 ends and OLBs is fairly good.

You said they may have problems facing the run. Does this factor in the type or rating of your team's nose tackle? Ratliff may be good, or will be on the game, but his size/strength match up well? Shaun Rogers is a manly beast in size and strength, and SHOULD contain double teams nearly all snaps. I'm hoping he does so he frees up my LB's, notably D'Qwell Jackson and Kamerion Wimbley.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
FMT you dick hole stop watching Queer Eye For The Straight Guy on Netflix and play me

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Wellington said:
What.

The.

Fuck.

Where can I find my uploaded videos? EASportsworld can blow me.

You might have to change your persona to 360 if it is set on PS3. I had that happen to me when I was looking for NCAA highlights.

cb you know tuesdays are my basketball days after work! that was my gf watching netflix brosef.

wellington, change your persona from PS3 to 360 (sign into your profile, go to the profile tab, next to "my bio" click edit, and change it from ps3 to 360.... i had this problem too)

Somnia

FrenchMovieTheme said:
cb you know tuesdays are my basketball days after work! that was my gf watching netflix brosef.

wellington, change your persona from PS3 to 360 (sign into your profile, go to the profile tab, next to "my bio" click edit, and change it from ps3 to 360.... i had this problem too)

Bleh..it's trying to send it to an old ass e-mail for me to change my persona. I hate easportsworld. I'll try again tomorrow...I went in and double checked and my live account is tied to my current e-mail so who knows.

bluemax

Banned
Wellington said:

I don't recall sweeps or tosses ever being viable plays in Madden. Especially tosses. They work a little more often in NCAA where the speed differential is more noticeable.

BigAT

bluemax said:
I don't recall sweeps or tosses ever being viable plays in Madden. Especially tosses. They work a little more often in NCAA where the speed differential is more noticeable.

They seem to finally be working as they should in NCAA. Thankfully the pulling guard actually tries to block someone now instead of just letting them run past.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Fucking LJ destroyed me twice last night. I went like 3/14 in the first game with Eli. :lol I was significantly better the second game but I only started to pick it up in the second half after BJac fumbled as he crossed the goal line. I don't have any tendencies really so I got caught going mid-deep too often against the cover 3. I'll get you next time LJ.

FrenchMovieTheme said:

I can pull down the tab but the my bio link does not show up. Weird.

LiveWire

WTF, does everyone have the game already? Where the hell are you getting it? This is like the earliest street date breaking I've ever seen. I'll be in Vegas this weekend for my birthday so I won't be able to get it until next Monday. :/

FMT, can we delay the start of the league until after Labor Day Weekend?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
LiveWire said:
WTF, does everyone have the game already? Where the hell are you getting it? This is like the earliest street date breaking I've ever seen. I'll be in Vegas this weekend for my birthday so I won't be able to get it until next Monday. :/

They live in communities where Gamestop hasn't bought up every single mom and pop they could or forced them out of business. Houston is not one of those communities.

I got mine pre-ordered at Gamestop, but I am not doing the midnight thing. Everytime I have done it, I have put the game in, looked at the intro, played for 15 minutes and then gone to sleep. Not really worth it. Plus GS has the "Buy Madden, get 25% off any used game coupon that I am planning on using for some Street Fighter 4 goodness.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
LiveWire said:

Well the people that have gotten it are from cities like LA and NYC where you have more mom and pop stores. I am surprised you can't get it early in DC.

Rorschach

bluemax said:
Tosses were always money in last gen. They'll do ok in next-gen Madden if it's a speed back, but not much against LB users online. First, manual LB/safety users will automatically know what the play is since the camera is behind the offense and up high. Second, manual LBs confuse the shit out of blockers. They'll all run towards the LB and forget their assignments. So, even though the LB had a good angle on you 6 yards out, they're going after him instead of the guy who's gonna tackle you for no gain right in front of them. Hopefully, that guy turns out to be a CB and not a DE. :( That's why I always send my WRs on a fly when I run a toss.

LiveWire

Wellington said:
Well the people that have gotten it are from cities like LA and NYC where you have more mom and pop stores. I am surprised you can't get it early in DC.

DC has no mom & pop video game stores that I'm aware of...a few CD/Game Exchanges across the city, but none of them has ever had new releases on this scale that I've seen.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I wonder if I should preorder it :p

Nah, EA's already burned enough discs to build a bridge to cross the Atlantic.

So it's Thursday at Midnight, or Friday at Midnight? Whichever it is, figure I'll grab it at lunchtime the following day.

AirBrian

Lonestar said:
I wonder if I should preorder it :p

Nah, EA's already burned enough discs to build a bridge to cross the Atlantic.

So it's Thursday at Midnight, or Friday at Midnight? Whichever it is, figure I'll grab it at lunchtime the following day.
It should be Thursday at Midnight. I'll be grabbing it Friday at lunch as well.

Top Bottom