• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
FUCK!!!

Stafford is out 7 weeks..

Lions getting ready for the draft.

GG, Striker. I had no answer for your rush. That really was the key to the game.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
So apparently bob went to go watch the Bill Engvall show or some shit without telling me if we're playing again or not

Striker

dskillzhtown said:
FUCK!!!

Stafford is out 7 weeks..

Lions getting ready for the draft.

GG, Striker. I had no answer for your rush. That really was the key to the game.
Were you throwing screens or attempting to? That's the only way Coleman and Williams came through.

Quinn was off early, I'm actually surprised it ended like that. I'm happy James Davis' injury wasn't big. He is an upgrade over Lewis, who isn't so bad in his short-yardage role.

Calvin Johnson is a manly beast. I was ashamed how poorly my DB's were tackling him.

Sorry about Stafford. :\

edit:

^^ :lol

dskillzhtown

Striker said:
Were you throwing screens or attempting to? That's the only way Coleman and Williams came through.

Quinn was off early, I'm actually surprised it ended like that. I'm happy James Davis' injury wasn't big. He is an upgrade over Lewis, who isn't so bad in his short-yardage role.

Calvin Johnson is a manly beast. I was ashamed how poorly my DB's were tackling him.

Sorry about Stafford. :\

edit:

^^ :lol

No, my O-line is just that bad. I have to fight the temptation to cheese with HB passes all game when I have no time to throw.

Striker

Nah dude, you were fine. I never looked through the Lions OL ratings, so it was just confusing as to why I got through as much as I did at times. At least you have some guys in your offense who should be great quickly.

AirBrian

Good game, BigJonsson. My offense was clicking and you couldn't get anything going offensively until later in the game. I will say your d-line was nasty at points. Twice you got to Collins before I could even hand the ball off. :lol

AirBrian said:
Good game, BigJonsson. My offense was clicking and you couldn't get anything going offensively until later in the game. I will say your d-line was nasty at points. Twice you got to Collins before I could even hand the ball off. :lol

And every other time C Johnson outran everyone and got outside

At least I only had one pick this game

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Not that I want them to happen, but it annoys me how there are virtually no injuries to defensive players. I feel like a chump for having held onto my D-Line depth instead of trading it away for a super team like Cold did with the Eagles. I think I am a good safety away from a terrific defense.

And how about that NFC Playoff picture, good grief. (Without taking this week's results into account) Five teams are within a half game for the final spot, eight teams are within a game and a half. Whoever wants the last spot is going to have to step it up, of course I already fucked myself by going 0-3 in the division so far.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Wellington said:
Not that I want them to happen, but it annoys me how there are virtually no injuries to defensive players. I feel like a chump for having held onto my D-Line depth instead of trading it away for a super team like Cold did with the Eagles. I think I am a good safety away from a terrific defense.

And how about that NFC Playoff picture, good grief. (Without taking this week's results into account) Five teams are within a half game for the final spot, eight teams are within a game and a half. Whoever wants the last spot is going to have to step it up, of course I already fucked myself by going 0-3 in the division so far.

I've been missing Adalius Thomas for about 4 weeks, and won't have him back for another 4-5 weeks. :(

Fifty

Wellington said:

I lost Ed Reed for 8 weeks. But since I play better without him, his ass can go back on the medical table.

Fifty

I told you that if you weren't offering me DEs (which I'm set at), we'd have something going. I would trade him for an elite outside LB, for example. He has the rest of the season to prove himself!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Fifty said:
I told you that if you weren't offering me DEs (which I'm set at), we'd have something going. I would trade him for an elite outside LB, for example. He has the rest of the season to prove himself!
Aside from my DEs I really don't have any chips worth trading. My highest rated LB is Pierce at 86, and Ray Lewis fills that MLB slot for you.

Fifty

Exactly why the trade didn't happen. You go trading a DE for an 95+ OLB and then swing him over to me and Reed is yours! OK, that's enough talk until the offseason.

Everyone,

Well, I just got a PM from FMT alerting me that I've been booted from the league. Outside of being called out by two guys, I hadn't personally received a complaint about my game this season, even from a variety of regulars I play in unranked scrimmage games. Apparently some folks complained to FMT behind the scenes (about what, I don't know) in some of the dominant games I've won, and now I've earned the ban hammer, so to speak.

While FMT mentioned that he didn't have a problem with my game, I can understand the position he's coming from. He has a league to run and he has to make decisions that he feels will benefit the league.

If there is one thing my scenario should teach everyone, I hope my situation encourages people to communicate more honestly and transparently post-game. If someone is doing something that you interpret as being nefarious, let them know. Since I first started playing in leagues here, I've tried to exhibit an ability to self-correct and play/conduct myself in a way that just allows me to fit in with everyone. I've never apologized for wanting to win dominantly, and I suppose playing in a Madden tournament for the first time and sharing that experience didn't help the perception that has been peddled by some of my more passionate detractors.

While I have no doubt that this development will trigger opinions on both sides of the proverbial coin, but I'm done with being a focal point of controversy. Deep down, I know I played the game with integrity, and I'm good with knowing that the only thing that could derail me was back-room politicking.

Big ups to FMT for the privilege of playing in his leagues and to the guys I've had some real wars with over the years. Many of you have pushed me to learn and develop in ways I never thought I could. Whether it's Bob's brilliant use of his tight ends and Wellie's mastery of d-line play to LJ's sophisticated blitzes and CB's effective running, there's things I picked and pulled to bring my game to the next level. Though I'm gone, I hope we can continue to go toe-to-toe for many years to come.

Good luck with the remainder of the season, and may the best man win.

-Shawn

Fifty

FWIW, I wish you didn't have to go. I never got the PMs of people complaining after your games, so I don't know the full story, but it sucks. You always kept a cool head and in the case of your last game vs Livewire, made it very hard to argue that you were in fact cheesing. If by some miracle I win the superbowl, I'm going to make my first action as champ to play a game vs you, before I can call myself the champ.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Some things I would like commishes to comment on:

1. Short Punts. I have noticed in a couple of games that people like to quick snap and punt short to try and catch a person off-guard so they don't activate the fair-catch. This has led to a game-changing fumble that cost me a game. To use this tactic on every punt seems cheap. Thoughts?

2. Show Blitz. Are we allowed to use this or not?

3. MLB Manual Control. If a person is more comfortable with controlling the LB before the snap and using him for manual pass coverage, that is acceptable, right? But what if the person uses that MLB to rush the QB on a play-action pass? Does this still fall under manual blitzing?

4. L Running - I have caught running backs well behind the line of scrimmage in the flats, sometimes with two people, only to have the person wiggle their way out. Most times, the player then has a wide-open field in front of them that has resulted in big gains or TDs. In most instances I have encountered this, the running back is a speedier back and gets well outside the Tackle and is an isolated position against the OLB or perhaps a CB. Is using the tactic of running your back parallel to the line of scrimmage until they almost get to the sidelines before turning upfield good football or cheese?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Shawnwhann said:
Everyone,

Well, I just got a PM from FMT alerting me that I've been booted from the league. Outside of being called out by two guys, I hadn't personally received a complaint about my game this season, even from a variety of regulars I play in unranked scrimmage games. Apparently some folks complained to FMT behind the scenes (about what, I don't know) in some of the dominant games I've won, and now I've earned the ban hammer, so to speak.

While FMT mentioned that he didn't have a problem with my game, I can understand the position he's coming from. He has a league to run and he has to make decisions that he feels will benefit the league.

If there is one thing my scenario should teach everyone, I hope my situation encourages people to communicate more honestly and transparently post-game. If someone is doing something that you interpret as being nefarious, let them know. Since I first started playing in leagues here, I've tried to exhibit an ability to self-correct and play/conduct myself in a way that just allows me to fit in with everyone. I've never apologized for wanting to win dominantly, and I suppose playing in a Madden tournament for the first time and sharing that experience didn't help the perception that has been peddled by some of my more passionate detractors.

While I have no doubt that this development will trigger opinions on both sides of the proverbial coin, but I'm done with being a focal point of controversy. Deep down, I know I played the game with integrity, and I'm good with knowing that the only thing that could derail me was back-room politicking.

Big ups to FMT for the privilege of playing in his leagues and to the guys I've had some real wars with over the years. Many of you have pushed me to learn and develop in ways I never thought I could. Whether it's Bob's brilliant use of his tight ends and Wellie's mastery of d-line play to LJ's sophisticated blitzes and CB's effective running, there's things I picked and pulled to bring my game to the next level. Though I'm gone, I hope we can continue to go toe-to-toe for many years to come.

Good luck with the remainder of the season, and may the best man win.

-Shawn

This is absolute horseshit. How can whoever wins the "Super Bowl" claim to be the top dog if Shawn isn't even in the league anymore?

I understand we are all cogs in the machine of this league, but at the very least let someone know if you think they are cheating. I've had my issues with Shawn in the past and I let him know what my problems were, like a man. Further, I think that with the ability to save replays, specific examples should be added and shown.

I don't want to seem like a malcontent, but I want to make my opinion be known, this is a move that I disagree with.

Edit: Lastly, not once in Madden 10 did I think that Shawn did something questionable. He beat my ass legitly in week 2 and I was going to beat his ass legitly in 2 "weeks". For what it's worth...

Lonestar

I didn't get a mention for my brilliant use of random ass playcalling on defense,

Wish I kept records to see if I've ever beaten Shawn...maybe there's one hidden in there somewhere.

On Denogg's comments:

1. I don't like the short punts, for what you mentioned.

2. I'd hate to lose Show Blitz, because it's just one more thing to hamper the Defense, in the name of MOAR POINTS. I mainly have used it with zone coverages, in hopes that the opposing player thinks they need to get the ball off quickly, to find out that everyone's jump back into coverage (specifically the middle of the field). I rarely bring blitz's from Safeties and CB's, unless it's desperation time, or I'm being hurt by Bootleg PA's.

3. I sometimes grab the MLB, and perform MLB-like duties. I figure you are not supposed to blitz with him, unless the QB has ran outside of the pocket. Then it's fair game, as it's always been. But since I've probably dropped back into coverage, trying to "shield" the routes in the middle, I just feel if I take off towards the QB, he knows to automatically throw to the WR/TE I've left.

4. I want to learn L Running!

For Shawn: I don't really know what you might have "done". We all have plays in the game that we like to run, that's uber effective, and because of that, it feels like "cheating" to the other person. Nothing you can do on this point. Always figure, "Just don't run up the score" should be the overall rule of the game/league.

damn shawn, sorry to hear that. I was actually really looking forward to our matchup when i got back from my honeymoon. Our ranked game we played earlier this year was epic.

Wellington said:
This is absolute horseshit. How can whoever wins the "Super Bowl" claim to be the top dog if Shawn isn't even in the league anymore?

I understand we are all cogs in the machine of this league, but at the very least let someone know if you think they are cheating. I've had my issues with Shawn in the past and I let him know what my problems were, like a man. Further, I think that with the ability to save replays, specific examples should be added and shown.

I don't want to seem like a malcontent, but I want to make my opinion be known, this is a move that I disagree with.

Edit: Lastly, not once in Madden 10 did I think that Shawn did something questionable. He beat my ass legitly in week 2 and I was going to beat his ass legitly in 2 "weeks". For what it's worth...

I too have had my issues with Shawn in the past (two seasons ago) and have told him when I thought he was doing something cheap, but I'm not a big fan of the behind the scenes stuff that seems to go on sometimes. I don't believe he did anything cheap in the one game I've played him in in Madden 10. Would be interesting to hear what the complaints were aside from the ones made public a couple days ago.

CB3

Yeah I don't like how this went down. Regardless of where my team goes now I know its bs because you guys just kicked out our best player for what? Winning? Shawn killed me like two weeks ago and I saw nothing that would be considered cheesing.

Rorschach

DenogginizerOS said:

1. Short Punts. I have noticed in a couple of games that people like to quick snap and punt short to try and catch a person off-guard so they don't activate the fair-catch. This has led to a game-changing fumble that cost me a game. To use this tactic on every punt seems cheap. Thoughts?
IMO, this falls under the "play sim" umbrella. It's bullshit. No one punts low and short in real life.

3. MLB Manual Control. If a person is more comfortable with controlling the LB before the snap and using him for manual pass coverage, that is acceptable, right? But what if the person uses that MLB to rush the QB on a play-action pass? Does this still fall under manual blitzing?
If I am using LB and I bite on the PA, I just hit the stumble stick or tackle the HB. Don't go after the QB.

4. L Running - I have caught running backs well behind the line of scrimmage in the flats, sometimes with two people, only to have the person wiggle their way out. Most times, the player then has a wide-open field in front of them that has resulted in big gains or TDs. In most instances I have encountered this, the running back is a speedier back and gets well outside the Tackle and is an isolated position against the OLB or perhaps a CB. Is using the tactic of running your back parallel to the line of scrimmage until they almost get to the sidelines before turning upfield good football or cheese?
I can't tell if you're serious or not. Running outside is not banned, no.

Lonestar

Yeah, I'm going to need FMT to publically state why and what happened on this. Maybe we should stop playing until he does.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Rorschach said:
IMO, this falls under the "play sim" umbrella. It's bullshit. No one punts low and short in real life.

If I am using LB and I bite on the PA, I just hit the stumble stick or tackle the HB. Don't go after the QB.

A lot of times on hand offs if I get past the RT I shadow the QB in case it's a PA. Is that okay?

It's led to a lot of yardage on my side. :(

Rorschach

Wellington said:
A lot of times on hand offs if I get past the RT I shadow the QB in case it's a PA. Is that okay?

It's led to a lot of yardage on my side. :(
Heh that's fine if I understand you right. It's like you're getting reverse PA'd!

CB3

I've only heard livewires complaints, which I would say are extremely questionable at best.

This whole just doesn't sit right with me

bluemax

Banned
As someone who played Shawn this season the only thing he did that I took issue with was all the movement of his defensive guys before the snap. It confused me and made me jumpy at times which is something that I suppose would happen in the real NFL. If I had been especially bothered with it I would've launched a formal complaint with FMT but I didn't as I felt I still more or less had my chances in the game and just didn't come through.

Maybe I don't understand the intricacies of the engine well enough but the running stuff I always just assumed was me over pursuing on defense. Shrug.

I guess because I don't go reading other forums to find out all the cheese tactics I'm so ignorant of what is cheese and what isn't that I just assume that everyone else in the league is playing fairly.

I think we can all agree that if anyone needs booted it is Mr Bob :p

DenogginizerOS

Rorschach said:
I was just trying to clarify this L thing. It seems I must have really poor tacklers on the Jets out in the flats because I have essentially lost games due to the inability to tackle someone in the flats. What concerned me was the very un-sim-like parallel running to the sidelines and then turning 90 degrees upfield. This usualy gives time to receivers to clear out any man-coverage with crossing patterns. I have had to resort to more zone packages to stop this because I have had Revis and Shepeherd or Scott hit people squarely in the flats only to have the back squirt away very late in the animation. I must be hitting the hit stcik improperly or something. Really frustraing.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Rorschach said:
Heh that's fine if I understand you right. It's like you're getting reverse PA'd!
Yeah. :( The Giants did this a lot with Osi against the Cowboys (Basically just keep outside contain so that Romo doesn't scramble) and the result was getting gashed on his side of the line for big gains.

CB3 said:
I've only heard livewires complaints, which I would say are extremely questionable at best.

This whole just doesn't sit right with me

I will give FMT the benefit of the doubt because he has shown to be a levelheaded leader, and I know that he likely wrestled with this decision for a long time.

I just want to know what exploits Shawn (allegedly) used, so that I can implement them myself. :D

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
DenogginizerOS said:
I was just trying to clarify this L thing. It seems I must have really poor tacklers on the Jets out in the flats because I have essentially lost games due to the inability to tackle someone in the flats. What concerned me was the very un-sim-like parallel running to the sidelines and then turning 90 degrees upfield. This usualy gives time to receivers to clear out any man-coverage with crossing patterns. I have had to resort to more zone packages to stop this because I have had Revis and Shepeherd or Scott hit people squarely in the flats only to have the back squirt away very late in the animation. I must be hitting the hit stcik improperly or something. Really frustraing.
What has helped me is something I picked up from FMT. Switch to the tackling defender and mash on X as if you were the ball carrier and mashing on the right stick to break through. Nine times out of ten the guy is brought down.

dskillzhtown

Wellington said:
I will give FMT the benefit of the doubt because he has shown to be a levelheaded leader, and I know that he likely wrestled with this decision for a long time.

I just want to know what exploits Shawn (allegedly) used, so that I can implement them myself. :D

Same here. The Lions need all the help they can get with Stafford gone. :lol

Since we are asking questions out in the open, is there a real rule against passing to your RB 25 times a game? I ask because I have really avoided it in my games as to be fair, though I don't have the best WR corp in the league. Early on in the season there was alot of talk about it, but now it seems there is only one RB in the top 10-15 of receptions in the league.

AirBrian

I haven't played Shawn this year, but I have played him in past years. I've never had a problem with his game. He's the same team every year, knows the playbook, and just a damn good player. It sucks this had to happen.

DenogginizerOS said:

2. Show Blitz. Are we allowed to use this or not?

1. People actually do this? Yeah, that's pretty cheesy in my book.

2. Have people complained about this? It's used all the time in every game in real life. Hell, the CPU will even do it without asking sometimes.

3. I would think that it would count as manually blitzing, so I try to avoid doing that.

4. I think L running is good football. Sometimes you wait for the play to develop (good blocks, etc.), and sometimes you just need to outrun the DEs to get around the corner. I see this all the time in real games, so I just assume its acceptable here. I definitely do this with CJ and have not had any complaints about it (to my face anyway). We've even played a game...do you think I cheesed at all?

Rorschach

I don't know why FMT shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt since he's been so easy on everyone that he's been labeled as "soft" by some. When has FMT ever done something like this let alone to a vet? He even let MaestroRyan and BigZep flake on us multiple times. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision for him and you guys should at least give him a chance to talk if you're not gonna give him the benefit of the doubt he has earned for the last 5 years...

dskillzhtown said:
Wellington said:
Same here. The Lions need all the help they can get with Stafford gone. :lol
I know you both have smileys so I pray you're both joking.

Since we are asking questions out in the open, is there a real rule against passing to your RB 25 times a game? I ask because I have really avoided it in my games as to be fair, though I don't have the best WR corp in the league. Early on in the season there was alot of talk about it, but now it seems there is only one RB in the top 10-15 of receptions in the league.
25 times seems excessive to me... Thankfully, it HAS died down besides a couple of people. In reality, not relying on it makes you a better player anyway. There are a couple people here who would fall apart if you covered the HB who is their one and only read.

LiveWire

dskillzhtown said:
Early on in the season there was alot of talk about it, but now it seems there is only one RB in the top 10-15 of receptions in the league.

Actually, more than that if sable's stats are correct (receptions are the 2nd column):

Larry Fitzgerald Arizona Cardinals 10 69 1139 16.51 113.90 312 6
Adrian Peterson Minnesota Vikings 10 57 700 12.28 70.00 297 6
Joseph Addai Indianapolis Colts 10 53 529 9.98 52.90 273 4

Dallas Clark Indianapolis Colts 10 51 708 13.88 70.80 209 5
Josh Morgan San Francisco 49ers 10 51 566 11.10 56.60 230 3
Greg Olsen Chicago Bears 10 51 595 11.67 59.50 185 2
Matt Forte Chicago Bears 10 50 452 9.04 45.20 158 3
Devin Hester Chicago Bears 10 48 632 13.17 63.20 304 8
Antonio Gates San Diego Chargers 10 47 900 19.15 90.00 330 8
Jeremy Shockey New Orleans Saints 10 45 601 13.36 60.10 217 1
John Carlson Seattle Seahawks 10 45 484 10.76 48.40 198 1
Frank Gore San Francisco 49ers 10 43 418 9.72 41.80 188 1
Ryan Grant Green Bay Packers 10 42 549 13.07 54.90 305 4
Reggie Bush New Orleans Saints 9 41 490 11.95 54.44 233 2

5 backs in the top 15 with over 40 receptions.

And FYI, Portis had 25 receptions in 9 games (10th game he might have had a few more, not sure why these stats didn't show).

As for the Show Blitz commentary, has anyone ever considered what happens if the offensive player snaps the ball before the defensive player audibles out of All Blitz?

LJ11

I really hate this game.

Some of this stuff; passing to the back, stupid D AI in the flats and on PA, terrible run angles, iffy zone and pass blocking AI, and so on have caused more issues/problems than the ones already present when trying to run a league. If EA had its shit together we wouldn't be discussing any of this.

DenogginizerOS

LJ11 said:
I really hate this game.

Some of this stuff; passing to the back, stupid D AI in the flats and on PA, terrible run angles, iffy zone and pass blocking AI, and so on have caused more issues/problems than the ones already present when trying to run a league. If EA had its shit together we wouldn't be discussing any of this.
I have to agree. I have honestly stopped caring about wins/losses. I just want to play a competitive game (which, sadly, I haven't done in 3 of my losses this year). EA really has lost the "fun factor" in Madden.

Top Bottom