• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official madden '11 Xbox 360 Online Franchise Interest Thread

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
BigAT said:
The demo is up on Live, downloading it now.

Anyone here picking up Starcraft today? I ordered through Dell, so it's going to be a couple of days for me still until my copy arrives, but I'm thinking of grabbing one from Walmart today.
I'm getting Starcraft after I get paid on Friday. :(

Can the demo be played online? My bro has my 360, is anyone DLing for PS3?

Nightz

BigAT said:

Anyone here picking up Starcraft today? I ordered through Dell, so it's going to be a couple of days for me still until my copy arrives, but I'm thinking of grabbing one from Walmart today.
Man the demo is huge, 1.47 gigs.

My copy of SC2 should be arriving from Amazon today. :D

I'm probably going to be buying SC2 straight up (lol? at a possible?)

I'm pretty bad at this game so I don't want to play anyone one on one yet. I'll play team games and I'll play games where we team against the AI cause I'm not good enough on my own

I also prefer to fuck around and build badass armies. just saying

BigAT said:

I'll be picking it up this afternoon. I've been playing the original in anticipation for it.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
What an awesome day. Madden demo and SC2! I am either picking up SC2 today or tomorrow (can't decide on whether or not I want the CE).

Nightz

So I tried a quarter and a half of the demo before I had to get ready for work. I used Gameflow for all of it for the sole purpose of trying the whole headset thing. It works, but I got annoyed by the voices quickly. :lol Play calls weren't that bad, but then again I didn't get to play an entire game. I don't like the strategy pad one bit. Maybe it's something I just have to get used to but it feels like it actually takes longer to make adjustments, especially on the defensive side. It's more noob friendly I guess, but I hope they patch in an option to use the old control scheme.

BigAT

I hope no one enjoys calling audibles or making adjustments on defense, because EA decided that both of those were way too easy to do in last year's game so that had to make them real inefficient. For adjustments, they changed it from using the bumpers, A and Y to the brand new "Strategy Pad". You have to hit the D-pad in any direction to bring it up initially, then one of the four directions to get to the proper category (coverage, D-line, LBs or hot route), then the corresponding direction on either the D-pad or the right stick to call what you want. It's not intuitive in the least and I found myself barely able to get in a single adjustment before the snap is made, let alone two or three.

For audibles, the generic audibles are no longer tied to the right stick. You hit X to bring up the first audible screen, where you need to use the left stick to move left and right between the four possible generic plays (like on defense: man, cover 2, cover 3, blitz), or you can hit X again to get to the second audible screen that has your predefined plays. Needless to say, it's significantly more difficult to get a quick audible in now. Moving left to right for the generic plays is especially inefficient.

Both changes feel like they were made simply for the sake of change, as no one could have possibly thought this is a better way to do things. In a year when they kept boasting about how GameFlow was going to make things quicker and easier, they really fucked this aspect of the game. I looked through the options and there was no way to go back to the traditional control method.

On defense, A now cycles to the previous player like it used to in older editions of the game. I found myself selecting the incorrect player pretty constantly as I was hitting A to skip through the presnap cutscene.

The controls for accepting penalties and putting injured players back into the game are slightly different, hitting X or A instead of moving up or down. More change for the sake of change.

I didn't think it was possible, but the Colts offensive playbook has even less running options than last year. Actually, it seemed rather limited in general.

There's an audio element to the in-game advertising this year. The whistle from the Old Spice commercial, that stomp/clap song from one of the Gatorade commercials. Plus the Verizon drive summary and the Dorritos CrunchTime play of the game.

Revis is going to be a beast. He warped through Reggie Wayne to breakup a pass then later had a crazy interception on a deep pass.

LiveWire

ph33nix said:
I'm probably going to be buying SC2 straight up (lol? at a possible

Yea, the Best Buy I was at last night had a shitload of regular and CEs. I don't think most of the console gamer market is in a rush to go out and get it like they would a Halo.

I tried staying up late but I could only keep my eyes open for the first mission. Was very impressed by the in-game cutscenes (the CG cutscenes are of course just ridiculous). Some fantastic little touches to build the SC universe. I can foresee replaying the SP campaign already. I'm not sure how much more I can say without spoiling, but I think everyone will be blown away by how good this game is...

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Miguel said:
Get that SC2 garbage out of here! >:|

Thank you!

It's like a fucking Bob PC orgy in here.

I just moved to brooklyn and I live like 2 blocks from a gamestop (yeah, sue me) they had it and its installing :D

um....i don't even know what my account info is. what is it? email or username? i forgot :lol everybody post yours

ph33nix said:
I just moved to brooklyn and I live like 2 blocks from a gamestop (yeah, sue me) they had it and its installing :D

um....i don't even know what my account info is. what is it? email or username? i forgot :lol everybody post yours

Pretty sure it's linked to your email.

Sanjuro

So what was the acceptable endgame for acquiring the Patriots? All I remember is that Merriweather was Lonestar's top priority.

I'll be checking out the demo soon...I need to get some practice in for 18-1 future.

Ian said on his twitter that the CPU snaps quickly, in the demo. So I'm guessing that he is saying that shouldn't be a problem in the retail.

Nightz

Glad to hear Ian Cummings is listening to our strategy pad concerns [/sarcasm]

Strategy Pad has a steep learning curve. And in the demo, yes, the CPU snaps quickly, so it will be tough to adjust. Have patience. 6 minutes ago via Echofon

If you are struggling, I suggest a 2 player game with play clock turned off, and play with it. In the long run I promise it is better. 5 minutes ago via Echofon

Why did we change to strategy pad? For usability. Too many inconsistent buttons before...people would get 'stuck' and they couldn't snap it. half a minute ago via Echofon
In other words

deal-with-it.gif

Nightz

Yeah like I said earlier, I think it'll work for new players, but I think us in this league who play Madden a lot are used to the controls in 10 and will have to adjust quite a bit. It's not game breaking, just going to take a while to get used to it...especially since NCAA doesn't have this control scheme for adjustments.

LukeSmith

Strategy pad is going to take some getting used to.
  • NCAA style no huddle isn't present in the demo (and I'm guessing isn't in the final game)
  • On All American I was able to torch Revis pretty easily with dig routes, ins and drags
  • Running isn't as good as it is in NCAA, though I'm more interested in hearing how people who could actually run in Madden10 feel about it
  • Jets D-line consumed the Colts O-line in the run game
  • Buncha new pass plays, routes and formations in Colts book, feels like fewer plays overall, though
  • Stretch run seemed to work better this year

BigAT

storybook77 said:
Ian said on his twitter that the CPU snaps quickly, in the demo. So I'm guessing that he is saying that shouldn't be a problem in the retail.
The issue isn't the CPU snapping speed, the issue is that the new system is clunky and difficult to use. The problem would exist, and possibly be even worse, against a human opponent.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
LukeSmith said:
[*]Running isn't as good as it is in NCAA, though I'm more interested in hearing how people who could actually run in Madden10 feel about it

I'll let you know later today :p

BigAT

"re: new kick meter. Yes it was meant to be easier. Apparently the feedback EA got as to kicking was that it was too hard/complicated."

What kind of idiots do they have playing the game that they couldn't kick or even snap the ball without the strategy pad?

daw840

BigAT said:
"re: new kick meter. Yes it was meant to be easier. Apparently the feedback EA got as to kicking was that it was too hard/complicated."

What kind of idiots do they have playing the game that they couldn't kick or even snap the ball without the strategy pad?

Wait....what? Are 50-60 yard FGs still money in the bank?

DMczaf

DMczaf said:
We're going to have a 5 min quarters demo tomorrow.

of course, the demo is old as hell and doesn't have the late fixes that made it into the retail game, or the fixes from the release day patch. So the demo is only good to get you used to the locomotion + game speed. :|

@ian_cummings what is the ONE thing I should take notice of when I play the demo tonight? (looking forward to it my man)
about 1 hour ago via web in reply to ian_cummings

@stephensonmc locomotion / user control
about 1 hour ago via Echofon in reply to stephensonmc

I know Madden's development schedule way too well :(

eznark

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
Did you get the CE?
nah.

Demo was fun. Gameflow is hilarious except that it made it more difficult to run up the score on the shit town Jets. Kicking was retardedly easy.

BigAT

daw840 said:
Wait....what? Are 50-60 yard FGs still money in the bank?
I think he means using the right stick was too complex and confusing for some people. You would think it wouldn't take 3+ years of feedback to figure it out if that were the case.

I'm not sure about how easy long kicks will be. I tried a 56 yarder with Vinatieri out of curiosity and came up only a couple of yards short, although the ball would have been straight through the uprights even from that distance. His KPW is only 88 though, so I suspect it would have been a very hittable FG with a stronger kicker.

TheCrow

Played a bit of the demo and loved the run game and the better sideline catches but I still need to play more. I didn't have a problem with the strategy pad after figuring it out. I might actually prefer it once I am familiar with what buttons I'll need to press.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I prob won't be able to play until tomorrow, but I have a few questions for those already playing.

1) Are flats passes as effective as they were last year?

2) Are drags as effective as they were last year?

3) Are PA crossing routes as effective (read: indefensible) as they were last year?

4) Is stacking in routes as effective as it was last year?

5) Are wheel routes still broken?

6) Man to man, no safety help, if a man is going to get bumped at the LOS, but is in motion when the ball is snapped, does the AI DB completely lose him like last year?

7) Are zone depth for LBs fixed?

8) Do guards pulling right still act like idiots?

9) Are DEs still useless?

Thanks.

bluemax

Banned
Did I not mention the strategy pad shit back at E3? I swear I did.

I haven't played the demo yet (still downloading) but I will say that having used it against a real live human that I was standing next too it still felt possible to make adjustments in time. My main issue was just the unfamiliarity with it.

I don't really see how it improves the game or why it was necessary however.

Edit: Wellie, I would think that some of those questions can't accurately be judged by playing the CPU.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
bluemax said:
Edit: Wellie, I would think that some of those questions can't accurately be judged by playing the CPU.
Can I play the demo in two player head to head mode?

Granted, I know this isn't the final product so I won't break my head on it, but these were issues that were well known with Madden 10.

DMczaf

TheCrow said:
I didn't have a problem with the strategy pad after figuring it out. I might actually prefer it once I am familiar with what buttons I'll need to press.

I just played a game in the demo, and THATS what people are raging about? :lol

It's just remapping the same things to the d-pad, took me a few plays to get it.

Fucking internet.

Mrbob

Matrix said:
Thank you!

It's like a fucking Bob PC orgy in here.

PC gaming wins this week. :D

SC2 is also available on ur crappy Mac so buy it!

I wonder if I'll even get to the Madden demo. My SC2 CE is sitting at home and that bad boy is getting installed right way!

Wellington said:
I prob won't be able to play until tomorrow, but I have a few questions for those already playing.

1) Are flats passes as effective as they were last year?

2) Are drags as effective as they were last year?

3) Are PA crossing routes as effective (read: indefensible) as they were last year?

4) Is stacking in routes as effective as it was last year?

5) Are wheel routes still broken?

6) Man to man, no safety help, if a man is going to get bumped at the LOS, but is in motion when the ball is snapped, does the AI DB completely lose him like last year?

7) Are zone depth for LBs fixed?

8) Do guards pulling right still act like idiots?

9) Are DEs still useless?

Thanks.

If ncaa is any indication then this is all fixed

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
PC gaming wins this week. :D

SC2 is also available on ur crappy Mac so buy it!

I wonder if I'll even get to the Madden demo. My SC2 CE is sitting at home and that bad boy is getting installed right way!
After the PC zerg rushed me in a normal AI melee I had to step away for a few minutes and play the Madden demo.

I don't get what everyone is complaining about.

Top Bottom