• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official madden '11 Xbox 360 Online Franchise Interest Thread

eznark

Banned
I listened to Bill Abner rip the shit out of the dynasty mode in NCAA and now you guys hate Madden.

Working on a Backbreaker Online Franchise Thread now.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
CB3 said:
Were you playing the demo against bob? I didnt know it was an online demo
My thoughts exactly. Hester to put up 3000 receiving yards in season 1 of Madden 11.

Thank you Rors for the detailed impressions. Can't wait to give it a go tonight.

Did you notice any differences between running with the OL having a zone blocking scheme and not?

Are ins and drags still money? Both teams have great receiving TEs, are TEs still way overpowered?

All you guys are playing All-Pro right?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
FrenchMovieTheme said:
yeah gameflow is fucking stupid. i'm not trying to be negative on the game, we haven't even played final retail copy, but THAT is what they spent their time on!? wow.

i honestly again have to give props for the locomotion again though. the running game really feels nice. they have basically eliminated suction tackles. i was really able to pick my holes and get through into the secondary. very nice feeling.

it's just a shame that they've finally addressed the running game and then changed all this stuff that didn't have a problem. WHY are you changing audibles? i'll get used to it but fuck i play ncaa too and now it's going to be hard to jump back and forth. why fix something that isn't broken tiburon? why not use that time to give us what we want?

:lol :lol , I've bitched about this before, and in the past. It's just shitty to have the 2 games have some differences in the controls. You're going to be confused often, if you go back and forth between the 2 games.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I am not as negative on the demo as others here. I am digging the changes to the running game. Maybe it is just because I am used to playing with the Lions, the holes were easier to hit and the pulling guards actually did what they were supposed to do.

Though the implementation is a bit clunky, I can see gameflow helping many players. Gameflow speeds the game up and serves to educate people about why certain plays are run and how to run the plays. I think that the way they highlight how fast the ball needs to be out of a QBs hand and preaching patience on runs will be a help.

The demo did seem a bit easy, but I am not going to expect that this is the final code. I would expect EA to want the trial experience to be a good one. Things like LBs standing next to the TE instead of in front of him and not making a play on the ball at all can't be in the final game, right?

I do agree that all the presentation crap they are adding is not really needed. I guess it might hide the load time for gameflow audio or something. It really doesn't add much to the game really. I do know they are on this "Everything you see on Sunday" target, but they are failing at it. For me it is because of the angles they pick. They are supposed to emulate TV, but they use non-TV angles so it looks so out of place.

It isn't like I am not going to pick the final game up at launch anyway. I am happy they made changes to the running game so that you don't need to be a Madden Genius to get a consistent rush attack. I just hope that it isn't as easy as the demo in the final game.

LiveWire

I played with the Jets last night (on All-Pro? is that the default) and won 38-7. Maybe it's the Jets D-line, but I was in the backfield with all 3 down linemen regularly, I think 7 or 8 sacks in the game on Manning.

Running game was alright, not sure what you guys are seeing that's so great. Yes, no more suction blocks (finally), but there were still at least 5 or 6 times on run plays where a guard pulled and looks straight at the free blitzer headed at Shonn Greene, but then turns and adds a double team block to the wrong man. I can understand it happening once in a while, but I only carried 21 times with Greene, and 4 were TD runs within the 5 yard line. When it works, though, it does look and feel much better than 10.

To answer Wellie's questions: yes, ins and drags still seem to work very well.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
LiveWire said:
I played with the Jets last night (on All-Pro? is that the default) and won 38-7. Maybe it's the Jets D-line, but I was in the backfield with all 3 down linemen regularly, I think 7 or 8 sacks in the game on Manning.

Running game was alright, not sure what you guys are seeing that's so great. Yes, no more suction blocks (finally), but there were still at least 5 or 6 times on run plays where a guard pulled and looks straight at the free blitzer headed at Shonn Greene, but then turns and adds a double team block to the wrong man. I can understand it happening once in a while, but I only carried 21 times with Greene, and 4 were TD runs within the 5 yard line. When it works, though, it does look and feel much better than 10.

kA6ey.gif

I am sick of having to gameplan for EAs inadequacy of creating a decent defense. I'd really love to get away from playing zone out of necessity.

Birdman02

LiveWire said:

I'm pretty sure the default is Pro...I had to bump mine up to All-Pro after my first game.

Like others have said, I think Gameflow might help some people. Some of the playcalling is absolutely ridiculous (like 3 straight PA All-Streaks plays), but it could be useful with some tweaking. I don't think it will be of help on defense, since man coverage (at least from my experience) is still pretty bad.

It was nice to see pulling guards that weren't completely useless. For the 1st time I can remember in Madden, I saw a pulling Guard pick up a DE that my Tackle whiffed on. My Tackle actually regained his balance and picked up the SS, instead of turning around in my face trying to get back to his "assigned" man.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
not sure what to think yet, only played once. Sideline footwork improvement is cool, but that combined with the seemingly increased effectiveness of throwing on the run seems like maybe a bit much. I like the gameplan structure.

dskillzhtown

Birdman02 said:
I'm pretty sure the default is Pro...I had to bump mine up to All-Pro after my first game.

Like others have said, I think Gameflow might help some people. Some of the playcalling is absolutely ridiculous (like 3 straight PA All-Streaks plays), but it could be useful with some tweaking. I don't think it will be of help on defense, since man coverage (at least from my experience) is still pretty bad.

It was nice to see pulling guards that weren't completely useless. For the 1st time I can remember in Madden, I saw a pulling Guard pick up a DE that my Tackle whiffed on. My Tackle actually regained his balance and picked up the SS, instead of turning around in my face trying to get back to his "assigned" man.

That might explain all of my rushing success, lol. I need to bump it up to All-Pro, lol.

Mrbob

Battle.net went down for a bit last night so I downloaded the Madden demo. What do you guys think about the commentary? Not as cool as I thought it would be. The problem is they put Gus Johnson in with old Chris Collinsworth commentary. They don't sound like they are in the same room when talking together. Also it is strange to hear Gus saying something and then get a canned Chris sound byte i've heard many times in the past couple years. Not digging the combo. Commentary would be a lot better if Chris was gone.

Can't really say much otherwise. Dpad adjustments could be ok, but I never had time to see how it works with a fast QB snap. I noticed less suction in the running game too, but I'm still not noticing the glory of locomotion in Madden 11. I only played into the 3rd because I quit out of boredom of facing the CPU but I see a lot of the same running and tackling animations of the past couple years.

Camera seems zoomed a little further back now and on field action felt slightly more jarring, but this could be with the lack of play time. Seems like Madden 10 with a couple small tweaks.

Did you guys watch the promo vids in game? The online part was a bit disgusting. Online video talked about Gameflow, 3 vs 3, and scouting reports. Super.

f3niks

Posted from the other thread:

After one and a half games, I saw(and heard) a few things that I liked and a good amount that I (initially) hated:

Gus Johnson is a welcome addition to the commentary. Hammonds sounded like a robot at times while Collinsworth seemed to be doing his own thing. That brings me to my first issue with this DEMO is that is almost seemed as if Collinsworth and Johnson were in two different rooms. I have a decent understanding of how these types of things are recorded but it seems as if it wasn't mixed and both guys sounded like they were in two completely different environments. There were also waaay too much dead air from the commentators and the fans. This was demo code afterall so hopefully this was ironed out in the final build.

To be honest, I didn't bother setting up an offensive strategy and taking full advantage of Gameflow. It felt gimmicky (Passing cone, Madden IQ, Total Player Control...etc) at first. Because I neglected to set up my own strategy, choosing gameflow felt like Ask Coach. When I play through tonight I'll give it a fair shake.

I don't understand why they made changes to the presnap controls. I was one of those players that constantly arranged and hot routed players depending on a situation in case the O or D showed me something I did not expect. My knee jerk reaction was to call it junk, but I think it just needs to be refined a bit more(maybe drop the button press to activate it). I just wish the option was offered to switch back to legacy pre snap controls.

Graphically it looks solid, although I did chuckle at the how it looked like Peyton Manning had his shoulder pads on under his dress suit as he got off of the bus.

Other than that, the Gameplay was right on except for a few minor things that I have yet to adjust to.

Mrbob

f3niks said:
Graphically it looks solid, although I did chuckle at the how it looked like Peyton Manning had his shoulder pads on under his dress suit as he got off of the bus.

Oh yeah I forgot about that.

"Peyton Manning, earlier today, getting off the bus!" If Tiburon is going to try to do pre game sequences don't make them look horrible. :lol Peyton's model was atrocious, from his Gears build body to bad stoic face texture. Ok maybe they got Manning face down but the texture itself was bad. Use some higher res assets for that sequence Tiburon!

Nightz

f3niks said:
My knee jerk reaction was to call it junk, but I think it just needs to be refined a bit more(maybe drop the button press to activate it).
I agree with this. I don't get why they require the extra tap just to activate the feature.

dskillzhtown

Mrbob said:
Oh yeah I forgot about that.

"Peyton Manning, earlier today, getting off the bus!" If Tiburon is going to try to do pre game sequences don't make them look horrible. :lol Peyton's model was atrocious, from his Gears build body to bad stoic face texture. Ok maybe they got Manning face down but the texture itself was bad. Use some higher res assets for that sequence Tiburon!

That is my problem with all the presentation additions. I like the idea of it, but the execution is so horrible that it turns a positive into a negative. People who are doing tackling animations shouldn't be doing "get off the bus" animations if they can't do it right. It might be the fact that a yearly cycle doesn't allow for that kind of detail attention, who knows.

Nightz said:
I agree with this. I don't get why they require the extra tap just to activate the feature.

I totally agree with that. The extra tap makes no sense.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I really like Gameflow. Is there a way we can make it so everyone has to use that in league play? Seems like a great idea.

:lol

Astrolad is that you?

Lkr

As a casual madden and ncaa player, this is my reaction:
Madden>NCAA

I don't really use the strategy pad, so it isn't a big deal to me. Madden seemed pretty easy in the demo, but I doubt online will be as easy. For some reason I miss so many tackles in NCAA, but I can still make them in Madden thankfully. It seems they broke the tackling system in these games though

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
dskillzhtown said:
I totally agree with that. The extra tap makes no sense.

I guess they don't want accidents since you can use the dpad+B/O to switch players on defense pre snap

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
f3niks said:
I don't understand why they made changes to the presnap controls. I was one of those players that constantly arranged and hot routed players depending on a situation in case the O or D showed me something I did not expect. My knee jerk reaction was to call it junk, but I think it just needs to be refined a bit more(maybe drop the button press to activate it). I just wish the option was offered to switch back to legacy pre snap controls.
I saw someone post that it's to "make it flow better" but I think thats a bullshit response. The real reason HAS to be to stop nano blitz's and to remove the using Y(coverage audibles) glitch to initiate the instant speed jump on D when the ball is snapped.

With 5 presses before you could setup at least 6 different nano blitz's in different packages for near instant sacks on play actions and insane pressure. Now to try those presses its impossible. They made the process labored and probably made a few tweaks to make it that much harder. This in turn enhances the online experience.

If we look at this madden as a whole what did they really do?

Did they fix the problem with QB's throwing the ball behind the player for no apparent reasons at times? No they added an animation to allow that to be catchable.

Did they fix the WR AI so that NFL routes work and open up in man coverage (IE post routes and curls etc?) No they made the DB's dumber allowing for the same routes to work 'better'.

Did they fix the offensive and defensive line's to react realistic when the running back holds turbo? No the just removed the fucking button :lol In the settings you can toggle the option to turn off auto turbo, which I assume recreates the same line screwups with non blocking linemen.

Like someone else said, they really need to consider starting with the code from scratch or buy another companies AI system and begin implementing it because you can only put so many bandaid's on a gaping wound before you realize its futile.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sometimes i feel like there's like two dudes working on madden. i think this is confirmed by the fact that they will never be able to match sablestats or do stuff like get tiebreakers right

Ramirez

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I really like Gameflow. Is there a way we can make it so everyone has to use that in league play? Seems like a great idea.

Joke post right?

So no one had a problem with the camera aside from me?

Brinbe

Just reposting my thoughts from the other demo thread.

After playing the demo for a while last night, something feels off, even compared to Madden 10. I'll still buy it, but I'm not as sure of it as I once was.

Oh, and I'm definitely turning off that stupid fucking gameflow shit. Fucking awful piece of shit. And I definitely preferred how they handled audibles last year, stop switching up what already fucking works!

And it's funny how working the flats is still crazy money, fix that shit already, EA! Anyway, been reading prior impressions, and glad I'm not the only one seeing these things.

To add some positives though, I did like the addition of Gus, and the presentation has definitely improved.

LJ11

Ramirez said:
Joke post right?

So no one had a problem with the camera aside from me?

Felt weird, maybe it's because of NCAA, I hated the camera last year as well.

I hate this game and won't be buying it, it's a piece of shit.

Ramirez

LJ11 said:
Felt weird, maybe it's because of NCAA, I hated the camera last year as well.

I hate this game and won't be buying it, it's a piece of shit.

Yea, I'm on the fence as well, I enjoyed the NCAA demo a ton more than this, and the final game even more. I would feel kind of stupid supporting a lesser game, especially when they didn't even change a single thing about online franchise, sigh.

DMczaf

So we're going to get the people quitting ahead of time instead of in the middle of the season? That would be awesome, would give us commishes less headaches.

witness

Son of a bitch, overtime doesn't even work as described in the demo. I just had a game that went to overtime, the new rules popped up and the commentators explained that if the team that gets the ball first goes down and gets a field goal, the game is not over and the other team gets the ball still and a chance to score.

So the Colts win the toss, go down and kick a field goal, and guess what? Games over. WTF. Why even bother putting that shit in there if you don't even have the new overtime rules programmed in the demo?

Rorschach

Man, the Jets are so damn beastly...

Wellington said:
My thoughts exactly. Hester to put up 3000 receiving yards in season 1 of Madden 11.

Thank you Rors for the detailed impressions. Can't wait to give it a go tonight.

Did you notice any differences between running with the OL having a zone blocking scheme and not?
The double teams have improved, but they don't really have zone blocking down and I doubt they ever will.

Are ins and drags still money? Both teams have great receiving TEs, are TEs still way overpowered?
Yes and yes. Keller and Clark have their way with the defense and the defenders slow down or get lost for them if they are fast CBs. The gif of that guy getting lost was Clark. Drags are easily money no matter what defense you play, but especially if you're using man.

I'll be sticking to safety for sure in the league to compensate for bad safety play and bad coverage in general. :p

All you guys are playing All-Pro right?
Played All-Pro and All-Madden. I think this might be the year we bump it to All-Madden if it's like this at retail.

witness said:
Son of a bitch, overtime doesn't even work as described in the demo. I just had a game that went to overtime, the new rules popped up and the commentators explained that if the team that gets the ball first goes down and gets a field goal, the game is not over and the other team gets the ball still and a chance to score.

So the Colts win the toss, go down and kick a field goal, and guess what? Games over. WTF. Why even bother putting that shit in there if you don't even have the new overtime rules programmed in the demo?
That's weird. Haven't had anything close to OT yet, but I would have imagined that they didn't have those rules in because it's not a playoff game. If it was a playoff game, they'd be in Indianapolis.

DMczaf

We should have been playing on All-Madden last year. Especially after the first draft.

I'll always be Pro-All-Madden...er...yeah!

Rorschach

DMczaf said:
We should have been playing on All-Madden last year. Especially after the first draft.

I'll always be Pro-All-Madden...er...yeah!
That's because you're satisfied running for 1.5 yards per carry and letting the defense do all the heavy lifting.

Ramirez

DMczaf said:
So we're going to get the people quitting ahead of time instead of in the middle of the season? That would be awesome, would give us commishes less headaches.

You like settling for mediocrity? :p

Mrbob

You know, at this point should we just dust off Madden 10 and continue our franchise? :lol

If anyone is making a 3rd NCAA league I might buy that game over Madden. I'm leaning LJ's way with this game based off the small demo game time I had...I guess this is the first year I'm truly buying Madden based off of a roster update.

Lonestar

Mrbob said:
You know, at this point should we just dust off Madden 10 and continue our franchise? :lol

If anyone is making a 3rd NCAA league I might buy that game over Madden. I'm leaning LJ's way with this game based off the small demo game time I had...I guess this is the first year I'm truly buying Madden based off of a roster update.

agreement2.jpg

Rorschach

Mrbob said:

Things Madden 11 will have over 10:
Better running game
Better physics
Better passing game
More realistic rookies (?)
NO MORE CHAIN GANG CUTSCENES

Things it won't have:
Franchise improvements
Defense

It's not as much of an improvement as it usually is, but it will be better than what 10 was.

That said, I'm definitely disappointed after seeing how feature packed NCAA is and what the Madden team chose to focus on.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Mrbob said:

Awesome. You not buying can be used to coax guys like Lj back in. no more waiting for bob!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I'm down with All-Madden difficulty, but if we go to it you're going to start seeing big disparity between the good and bad teams. You will see it particularly in the O/D Line interactions and the defensive secondary.

LiveWire

Can we dig up our pre-Madden 10 thread and see what we were saying then? Just wanna make sure we weren't bitching the same way like a bunch of grumpy old men. :lol

Lonestar

LiveWire said:
Can we dig up our pre-Madden 10 thread and see what we were saying then? Just wanna make sure we weren't bitching the same way like a bunch of grumpy old men. :lol

We weren't bitching as much as we should have about the Online Franchise mode, and it's problems.

Rorschach

LiveWire said:
I was bitching mostly about coverage. Especially at the slot position. It turned out I was right, though!

Wellington said:
I'm down with All-Madden difficulty, but if we go to it you're going to start seeing big disparity between the good and bad teams. You will see it particularly in the O/D Line interactions and the defensive secondary.
We should test it first. But you'll see the differences between the haves and the have nots already in all-pro. :\ The chump teams will not stand a chance against the elite teams like the Jets. I've seen Campbell throw in the retail version and that shit ain't pretty.

Nightz

LiveWire said:
I think everyone was celebrating Online Franchise and the death of LeagueDaddy.

Striker

LiveWire said:
Here's some posts people made: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370343

Lots of people, including me, were basically overjoyed with getting an online franchise.

I have yet to play the demo, so I cannot make any judgments. That said, no defense (as if playing it on '10 was hard enough), and all offense? Ugh. And we basically know there's no online franchise improvements, complete with broken tiebreakers, no FA, no trading draft picks, and weak progression. At least I have NCAA this time. :\

Birdman02

Rorschach said:
Things Madden 11 will have over 10:
Better running game
Better physics
Better passing game
More realistic rookies (?)
NO MORE CHAIN GANG CUTSCENES

Things it won't have:
Franchise improvements
Defense

It's not as much of an improvement as it usually is, but it will be better than what 10 was.

That said, I'm definitely disappointed after seeing how feature packed NCAA is and what the Madden team chose to focus on.

WRONG!! I had to watch a chain gang measurement in 1 of my games. :(

LiveWire

Striker said:
Here's some posts people made: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370343

Lots of people, including me, were basically overjoyed with getting an online franchise.

I have yet to play the demo, so I cannot make any judgments. That said, no defense (as if playing it on '10 was hard enough), and all offense? Ugh. And we basically know there's no online franchise improvements, complete with broken tiebreakers, no FA, no trading draft picks, and weak progression. At least I have NCAA this time. :\

Wait, what? You're kidding right? I can understand no sablestats, no FA, no trading picks or even progression fixes, but no proper NFL tiebreakers? FFS.

Soooo.....is there still room in NCAA guys? :/

Top Bottom