• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official madden '11 Xbox 360 Online Franchise Interest Thread

dskillzhtown said:
I think it is a case of the new back of the box features are directed at the casual crowd who they were worried about losing to Backbreaker. Locomotion is a subtle touch that will have more impact on gameplay for others, but it isn't exactly sexy. Last year was Online Franchise to get excited about. This year is huge for casuals, hardcore not so much. Unless you really want to jump into gameplanning.

I know atleast one person who lives in the northeast who is probably excited about that.

Next year will be the make or break year for me. They say their going to rework the franchise mode next year and I hope they do but they'd better use the same template as the NCAA team did, i.e. franchise and online franchise are one and the same.

LiveWire

AstroLad said:
I think it's still 20 for the FIFA Clubs thing (CPU GK). Clubs is actually pretty cool if you can get 5 or more people together. League would of course be traditional 1v1.

OK, then I call Everton now.

Rorschach

I was in Astro's Winning 11 9 league. He's a tough, but fair commish!

The only thing that sucked was that the difference between an elite team and a poor team was astronomical and the best players had the best teams (I think the best player took Man U and won it all. Shocker!)... and some of us had super scrub teams. :| Also, the netcode wasn't the best back in the day. East Coast teams were a pain. :\

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Rorschach said:
I was in Astro's Winning 11 9 league. He's a tough, but fair commish!

The only thing that sucked was that the difference between an elite team and a poor team was astronomical and the best players had the best teams (I think the best player took Man U and won it all. Shocker!)... and some of us had super scrub teams. :| Also, the netcode wasn't the best back in the day. East Coast teams were a pain. :\
Hahah -- those were the days! I remember I made it to the final against some dude from Japan who was somehow in the league and the lag was so bad. Thankfully against same-coasters it was quite good. As far as parity, that's always an issue. FIFA has tons of teams though from every league, and there are at least 20 truly elite teams worldwide such that I think everyone could get a very good team if they want (not on the level of Barca or ManU, but still competitive). Also fully licensed unlike WE, which is nice.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
dskillzhtown said:
I think it is a case of the new back of the box features are directed at the casual crowd who they were worried about losing to Backbreaker. Locomotion is a subtle touch that will have more impact on gameplay for others, but it isn't exactly sexy. Last year was Online Franchise to get excited about. This year is huge for casuals, hardcore not so much. Unless you really want to jump into gameplanning.

I know atleast one person who lives in the northeast who is probably excited about that.
What really irks me, especially in the last two versions of Madden, is that my work doing research and planning is rendered ineffective by the game itself. If it was asking a lot, I'd let it slide, but it's really stupid things that should be in the game. A competent double teaming system, competent "commit" system, competent gap blitzes, just little shot on D that makes sense but is never in the game. I plan on expanding some of the post game work I do but I don't know if it will be worth it.

Far as I saw, and I haven't tooled around with it much, the "gameplanning" is just picking plays per situation. Who cares about that shit??

Wellington said:
Far as I saw, and I haven't tooled around with it much, the "gameplanning" is just picking plays per situation. Who cares about that shit??

if you could implement game plans based on tendencies you see from an opponent, such as having a defender automatically shift assignments based on what your opponent comes out in, that would be great. For example: i see Wellington come out in a trips right set a few times a game and notice he is running sweep that side. I could set my defenders to lock in on that during halftime and shift appropriately. This also puts the offense on notice, as they would have to vary situations.

Idk, i usually do this on my own, but having the cpu do it for me would make things alot easier IMO. It adds that much more realism to the game. Maybe 12 will be the answer to my hopes

LiveWire

goldlion054 said:
if you could implement game plans based on tendencies you see from an opponent, such as having a defender automatically shift assignments based on what your opponent comes out in, that would be great. For example: i see Wellington come out in a trips right set a few times a game and notice he is running sweep that side. I could set my defenders to lock in on that during halftime and shift appropriately. This also puts the offense on notice, as they would have to vary situations.

Idk, i usually do this on my own, but having the cpu do it for me would make things alot easier IMO. It adds that much more realism to the game. Maybe 12 will be the answer to my hopes

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure I saw this when I briefly fiddled with gameplanning; you should be able to do this.

Edit: Oh you mean individual defensive assignments, not just playcalling. You can do the latter but not the former as far as I know.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
goldlion054 said:

Yes I agree with what you are saying but I would not want the AI to do it automatically. That would kill my game. Further, say you do notice that sweep, and next time you see it, you don't give a fuck about the pass, problem is you can't correctly commit your players to attacking the LOS. So on a sweep, in man coverage for example, your corner on that side would be halfway down the field instead of attacking the LOS where you know the ball is going. Little shit like that makes a huge difference.

Madden 10 always felt more like I was fighting the game than fighting the other player. How do you stop a drag with a play call or audible? You can't! You have to manually cover it!

I'm talking exclusively on D here. Offense is already overpowered enough.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
My biggest concern is controlling the defense as well. There are zero indications that defenses will be able to be adjusted any better than they were last year. If players are able to me more offensive, then I suspect outcomes from last year's league will be repeated, but with just more scoring.

bluemax

Banned
Personally I expect rushing for the first season to be higher than it was last year, maybe not super back levels but better than pre super back levels.

On passing I think that the teams with weaker QBs are gonna be hit a lot harder than ever before. Also teams with weaker secondaries or players who suck at playing Safety (like myself) will probably get torched more.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/

Madden 11 Impressions.

• Returning kicks is futile. Using the Browns, thus Josh Cribbs, who is arguably the best return man in the history of the NFL -- I have yet to return a kickoff past the 30. The reason? My guys won't block their guys. Cribbs is the man but rarely can he avoid six players ganging up on him. Punts aren't much better. In fairness NCAA 11 has issues with this too.

• Defensive AI behavior needs work. I have discovered that to beat the AI all you need to do is throw screens and passes in the flat to your HB. The AI just doesn't cover them well. Sometimes they do, but it's just because they got lucky and called the right defensive play (usually a flat zone.) Need proof this is a problem?

• Along these same lines, you will need to play with CPU Defensive back Awareness at 100. Otherwise you are going to absolutely torch the AI defense. Again, I am using the Browns. I'm not using the 1981 Chargers here and I should not score 59 points on...anyone. (This was when playing on default All Pro, FWIW).

• There are way, way, way too many instances when the pass rusher hits the QB and he throws a wounded duck in the dirt for an incompletion. How often do you see that in a real game? A few times, maybe? In Madden you'll see this several times a game. In fact I'd say a fair number of CPU incomplete passes are due to this. The QB should either try and avoid the rush or just see the guy coming and throw it away or maybe even force a pass. This is really a mild complaint but I still think it needs looked at.

• Big Plays. There are simply too many. In my last game vs the Steelers I had plays of 53, 59, 67, and 79. (3 passes and 1 run). Will sliders alter this? Perhaps. But this is a pretty common thread I am seeing each game I play. Big plays are exciting but right now the idea of playing a game of Madden with 110-120 plays a game and the score being 17-10 ...is unlikely.

ATnv4.gif

• Franchise Stats Very little chrome has been added to franchise mode. First off, I don't care what anyone tells you, the Extra Point stuff is in the game. It's pretty much just like last year but it's there. Most of the work on franchise mode has been under the hood in the form of stat tweaks, new hand made rookies, contract values, salary demands, and free agent factors. I have not fully tested this (the stats do look better in the 1 season I simmed). But if you are looking for a massive franchise mode update, this is not it.

Hooray!

Mrbob

This season really sounds like a garbage upgrade. Go GameFlow go!

In some ways, Madden 11 feels like a Focus Test game, whereas Madden 10, even with its blemishes, felt like a game designed by a team that went in the direction they wanted to go in. Let's take Gameflow. This feature is actually pretty neat. It's basically a more realistic way to "Ask Madden" so instead of calling base plays Gameflow looks at play style, and the new Game Planning to determine which plays to call. A defacto Offensive/Defensive Coordinator. Cool idea. But it's clearly there because apparently so many people use the Ask Madden feature over calling plays themselves. (Which I find utterly shocking.)

Again I have no issue at all with the idea of Gameflow as a feature. It's a cool idea but it's one of Madden 11's MAJOR bullet point features -- arguably the #1 new feature in the entire game. That sort of flies in the face of the design ideas we saw popping up last year. This, to me at least and you are certainly free to disagree, feels like it should be a 2nd tier feature rather than the game seller. A feature that is a "hey by the way...this is pretty neat" instead of the "you need Madden 11 because of this." Because, frankly, you don't.

Gameflow/planning also has some issues, especially on defense. This is not at all Madden specific but to really call plays effectively a coach needs to adjust on the fly. Sure you can have your scripted plays, your plays designed based on down and distance, but every game of football is its own self contained drama and coaches always adjust to what is happening on the field. If a team's WR is killing me -- I am going to adjust to try and take him out of the game. If a HB is getting 5, 6, 7 yards a pop I'm going to move more guys in the box. Gameflow doesn't account for this -- especially when playing the CPU. Again no game has effectively done this, but a big part of game planning and play calling is trying to take away a team's #1 strength and adjusting your plan based on the flow of a particular game. Madden's AI (in truth every football game's) needs to do this for Gameflow/Game Planning to be a really great feature which will please both hardcore Madden fans and the guys who simply Ask Madden what to do on 3rd and 12.

Oh and...

Defensive AI behavior needs work. I have discovered that to beat the AI all you need to do is throw screens and passes in the flat to your HB. The AI just doesn't cover them well. Sometimes they do, but it's just because they got lucky and called the right defensive play (usually a flat zone.) Need proof this is a problem?

Lonestar and Big AT to fight for the Super Bowl each season confirmed!

Mrbob

Early reports are saying Johnny Knox is coming off his impressive rookie season and becoming the real deal heading into camp this year. Bigger, stronger, and faster. We better not start this league early I want my 90+ rating and not stuck with one in the 70s Tiburon will give him!

BigAT

I read somewhere that the 3v3 upgrades that can be purchased with real money and used online, create a significant difference for the players using them.

DenogginizerOS

Phil Frazier = Robert Bowling. :/

According to him, we don't like the strategy pad because we are comfortable with what used to work.

CPU fast-snap will be patched out in "week 1".

DMczaf

BigAT said:
I read somewhere that the 3v3 upgrades that can be purchased with real money and used online, create a significant difference for the players using them.

You only get them for a handful of games. If you earn those same upgrades by playing, you keep them forever. Looking at how you get them, they look REALLY easy to get.

But hey, if morons keep paying Sony for MLB points and EA for Madden upgrades, they'll keep putting them out there.

DenogginizerOS

Frazier states that scheduling prolems of getting people together in even 3-4 man leagues was one of the main reasons online franchise failed in '10, and then in the very next topic he starts going on and on about 3v3 Online Team Play. Call me crazy, but if they feel the reason the franchises failed because of scheduling, then how are you going to get 6 people to play 3v3 consistently?

So no AI improvements?:lol

Pathetic. Im so ready to call it a day on this fucking game. If it werent for OF I honestly would not buy this game. Sounds like one of the laziest development cycles ever. What a joke

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DenogginizerOS said:
Frazier states that scheduling prolems of getting people together in even 3-4 man leagues was one of the main reasons online franchise failed in '10, and then in the very next topic he starts going on and on about 3v3 Online Team Play. Call me crazy, but if they feel the reason the franchises failed because of scheduling, then how are you going to get 6 people to play 3v3 consistently?
yep, anyone who's ever played in online sports leagues knows it's insanely easy to get a league together for any worthwhile game, but getting six people together at once is about 100x harder. they're just dicks pretty much and i hate that my enjoyment of the GAF league (90% of which is provided by gaffers and not the game) is going to lead to my supporting the title

DenogginizerOS

FrenchMovieTheme said:
So no AI improvements?:lol

Pathetic. Im so ready to call it a day on this fucking game. If it werent for OF I honestly would not buy this game. Sounds like one of the laziest development cycles ever. What a joke
I just heard him say the submission of the demo and the submission of final code were only three weeks apart!!! The problems in the demo are in the final. The main difference is more audio commentary and the reason that is not in the demo is because of size. But the demo = final.

daw840

DenogginizerOS said:
I just heard him say the submission of the demo and the submission of final code were only three weeks apart!!! The problems in the demo are in the final. The main difference is more audio commentary and the reason that is not in the demo is because of size. But the demo = final.
Well, that's just fucking awesome...

DenogginizerOS

They are using "serious Madden gamers" to make the "tough" decisions on how to take on the "whack-a-mole" appearance of issues like abuse of slant routes. It is "really tough" and it is not seen until a week or two after the game comes out because people don't play the game the way they envision how people play their game.

BigAT

DenogginizerOS said:
Well it's so much easier to get a game in with the ease and efficiency of GameFlow® scheduling a team game practically takes care of itself!

Mrbob

Poor DM. Now he has to listen to me remind him how MLB The Show is sports champion for another year over Madden! Maybe next year? :D Doubtful! Sony made some nice strides with online franchise this year, especially in game. They take another step next year including the web based stuff they seal the deal!

Wellington said:
I'm ready to cut bait and spend my $60 on NCAA if you guys want to keep playing that.

You and me both.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Wellington said:
I'm ready to cut bait and spend my $60 on NCAA if you guys want to keep playing that.

The 12 person cap would splinter it into 2 leagues. Ours is already full.

DenogginizerOS

FrenchMovieTheme said:
Can someone on gaf pull some strings and get us a q&a with frazier? These guys are so full of shit
Agreed. The last time I heard this much bullshit was listening to the Inifinity Ward guys defend their decision to take out servers in COD:MW2.

Wow. Even the mighty Gameflow they are promoting did not get changes or additions over what is in the final product.

DMczaf

Mrbob said:
Poor DM. Now he has to listen to me tell him how MLB The Show is sports champion for another year over Madden! Maybe next year? :D Doubtful! Sony made some nice strides with online franchise this year, especially in game. They take another step next year including the web based stuff they seal the deal!

By Sports Champion you mean "Sports Champion of games that are not titled NCAA Football 11"

NCAA has the gameplay and online wrapped up. Call me when Sony San Diego's online team finds out that it's actually 2010, not 2002.

Mrbob

Changing the argument!

You try to remind me every year how Madden will dethrone MLB but it doesn't happen!

Cheers to another year of Show dominance! :D

DenogginizerOS

The Strategy Pad uproar shocked them because even though they mentioned it in blogs and it was in demos shown at shows, no comments came until the demo was released on XBL and PSN. But their main reason for implementing it is because their telemetry showed tons of people getting stuck and penalized pre-snap because they pushed an audible button or something. Maybe if their 3-page fucking manual did a better job of explaining their game, people would not get stuck!!!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
The darling of this camp is rookie wide receiver Riley Cooper who attracts attention because of his good looks, his flowing locks and the big plays he is making in practice. Cooper is nasty guy, make no mistake about it. He is physical and he does not back down at all. This kid has a chance to be a really fine player.

See that bob. Riley Cooper > Knox

Wellington said:

Those leagues are full. Get it on PS3 and join me :D

And I know I'm not in this league but I wanted to put my 2 cents in---I've pretty much bought Madden every year but this will be the first year I don't...since I made myself a PS3 owner I play online dynasty with a few real life friends and that's been the most enjoyable experience I've had playing in any online league. We're already in our 3rd season and it feels great to see that your players progress BASED ON THEIR PERFORMANCE and to play with the guys you recruited. It seems like Madden changed nothing in offline franchise or online for that matter, so for that none of us are going anywhere near Madden this year. Sad, I wanted to play with The Beast :(

Top Bottom