• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden 13 X360 Thread of Crow and Ramirez Join the NFC West!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
For reference, RG3 has just about a 1:2 TD/INT ratio and 53% completion rating collectively in this franchise

McNei1y

No offense but from what I recall you weren't very good on offense last year. You had a sub 50% completion rate and no one to be scared of on offense outside of MJD. You over achieved record wise.

I switched to an entirely new playbook last year which played a role in some of my slack. Plus that whole Moss retiring thing, not having a first or second rounder, the Pierre Garcon trade, and a lot of salary problems hurt any hope of improving my offense from the previous season. I still managed to win games. Sure, my passing rating was complete shit last year but MJD was my offense... and he got shit done. Not much else can be said. I wouldn't say I overachieved. But it sucks in retrospect since I would've clearly kept Pierre rather than lose MJD on some madden FA garbage.

It also seems like you mean to say "you weren't very good in the passing game" last year. Which is true and always has been this year. Ballhawking doesnt help, but I still can't manage to read defenses very well.

For reference, RG3 has just about a 1:2 TD/INT ratio and 53% completion rating collectively in this franchise

shrug. go figure. I also just got a 4.0 passing rating against AT. To bad this isn't a GPA we're talking about.

bluemax

Banned
I just remember looking over your team before I played you and wondering how you had a better record when your team was performing worse. I don't know the ins and outs of your team or season though.

But my original point was that no one succeeds for long in this league without completing closer two 60% of their passes and with more than 2 picks per game thrown.

Bob made the playoffs in season one while cutting his ints way down. DCX did it in season 2. Someone else will probably do it this season.

McNei1y

So you should've said "your passing game is terrible" which is true and I know that. And probably all of the league knows that when I complain about throwing picks after each game.

Neat stats you got there CB.

bluemax

Banned
So you should've said "your passing game is terrible" which is true and I know that. And probably all of the league knows that when I complain about throwing picks after each game.

Sorry! I'm not trying to put you down. Its not like I've been much better. I remember the end of season 1 where I just fell apart and didn't have a TD pass for the final 7 weeks or something horrid.

McNei1y

Sorry! I'm not trying to put you down. Its not like I've been much better. I remember the end of season 1 where I just fell apart and didn't have a TD pass for the final 7 weeks or something horrid.

You're not. I know I suck in areas... a lot of areas actually. but I know I'm not lucky to finish with the records I finish with.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I am sad that neither KJ Wright nor Kam Chancellor got DPOTW.

You and both of those guys can go right on out and fuck yourselves.

Also I'm 10th in passing offense despite facing the 4th ranked pass defense twice so far! Then again I have to face #1 after my bye week :(

I'm the 4th ranked pass D? That's awesome because I was 30th and worse for a couple of weeks last year. I haven't changed much except that I don't press with Jenkins anymore.

Literally all I did against you in both games was not let you beat me over the top. I sacked you once combined in both games but you were so afraid of a non-existent pass rush you got rid of the ball in a hurry to underneath routes.

But my original point was that no one succeeds for long in this league without completing closer to 60% of their passes and with more than 2 picks per game thrown.

Bob made the playoffs in season one while cutting his ints way down. DCX did it in season 2. Someone else will probably do it this season.
The picks are killing me this year. I gave FMT 14 points in our game and I lost the game we played on the strength of 3 interceptions with one being returned for a TD. I don't see it improving any time soon unless I can get Bradford off of this cold streak... which he's been in since Week 1 season 1. :(

McNei1y

Yeah. As Bluemax and CB pointed out last night, picks are an arrow to the knee for any success. I think toning that down will help me significantly... I just need to learn discipline on some days and actually throw when I have a man open. But that's another issue. If I can't ever get a man open, whether that's due to the passing D, my play calling, or both, then there's nothing I can do to begin with.

An example of how turnovers kill can be seen from last night. I was on AT's 35 after I had just picked the ball off with Perry Riley. I see Niles Paul doing an out and manages to break the zone. I somehow throw a lob pass (even though I wanted to hold down A) and AT manages to come up and hawk the floated ball. I then give up a touchdown on that drive. If I hadn't turned that over, I would've at least gotten a field goal to go up 13-0... Instead I was up 10-7 :\

LJ11

I'm so confused how I'm struggling so much on offense after having two decent seasons beforehand. I even acquired Steve Smith, who usually catches the ball when he has a chance at it. Everyone seems to be covering me like white on rice, no matter the route. So everything is fucked. Dropped passes are a pain. Paul and Davis both dropped wide open passes which would've been first downs, instead they dick me and require a punt. Running the ball doesn't work with this team since it seems like everyone on defense knows when I run the ball. Or I get stuck.

On defense, I still can't stop a comeback route. And not only do I give up the 10 yards, D. Hall or Josh Wilson fucks up the tackle. And if its not that, they give up that stupid fade route that everyone does.

1-4 is still better than the first season when I went 1-8 and finished the season 7-9 but I don't like my chances. I'm probably out of the playoffs already (Who am I kidding, I'm out of the playoffs when every season starts).

Are they running the comebacks/curls when your DBs are in off coverage (not pressing)? That should be an int for you every day of the week going forward. Just put your OLB in a purple/buzz zone and manually defend the TE with your MLB. Cross your fingers that the DL gets there.

Lot of one note players, they see off man and they think curl route, take it away by playing two man under or bait them into an int by showing them they have the curl and try to defend it with a purple zone. Another thing you can do is just put the CB in off coverage and then hot route him to a yellow/hook zone. A curl flat concept won't pull down the DB, pick six incoming, but you should shade a safety to one side and user the other one and user defend the first receiver that gets vertical.

I can use all the help I can get. I like practicing against people in regular games but it doesn't really do much since the rosters are so different.

It's just certain areas that I'm struggling in that have killed me season after season. It's usually certain pass routes (like the comeback route) that I fail to call the right plays on. And it's also my offensive playcalling or my lack of ideas when all of my receivers are covered heavily.

Oh and is there a third "coverage" that my corners can be in when playing man? It seems that they are either A) pressing or B) playing soooooo far off.

lol. I'm the same player I've always been. There's no regression here. I still think I can make the playoffs year after year but with a lot of the talent in this league, .500 ain't gonna cut it. I just need some pointers that can help me out in the areas that kill me and I think I could be even better.

The one thing that matters, though, is that it's all a good time, especially that I'm using the Redskins. I just wish I didn't screw up in certain areas so I know that I could at least play someone competitively without giving up easy TD's or failing miserably on moving the ball down the field.

I also think I could've made the playoffs in Season 1. I lost to three teams due to shitty fumbles and my lack of experience in certain areas (like getting abused by a TE). But since that season, I think I've mastered coverage with my LB.

Yea, whichever route that is. Soka tells me that it usually works for him, especially in zone coverage because he's somehow able to slip the pass in between my corner and FS.

Anyway, I think I'm going to go back to using the Redskins playbook or at least find a new playbook to mess around with.

Are they hitting you deep, over the top, with the fade or just leading it between the S and CB, kind of like a post? If it's the later you're most vulnerable to this play in off man coverage.

GCQuinton

NFC OPOTW: Cam Newton (Panthers) - 10/15, 223 yards, 4 TD, 1 int, 3 Car, 21 Yards
NFC DPOTW: T. Lee (Panthers) - 4 tackles, 1 int, 1 TD

tumblr_me2toal2Sv1r1ang0o1_400.gif

Enjoying it while it lasts!

McNei1y

Are they running the comebacks/curls when your DBs are in off coverage (not pressing)? That should be an int for you every day of the week going forward. Just put your OLB in a purple/buzz zone and manually defend the TE with your MLB. Cross your fingers that the DL gets there.

Lot of one note players, they see off man and they think curl route, take it away by playing two man under or bait them into an int by showing them they have the curl and try to defend it with a purple zone. Another thing you can do is just put the CB in off coverage and then hot route him to a yellow/hook zone. A curl flat concept won't pull down the DB, pick six incoming, but you should shade a safety to one side and user the other one and user defend the first receiver that gets vertical.

It's usually when my CB's are playing way off. Right when their WR cuts back and the ball is in the air, Hall and Wilson are too far away to make any kind of attempt to swat/grab the ball. And even if they are right there for the tackle, they'll probably fail at tackling. But that's another problem that I'm currently fixing through XP.

I've begun to put my OLB's in the purple zones, especially when I'm selecting zone blitzes (3 deep, 3 hooks, and the rest rushing) but this is where the next part comes into play...

Are they hitting you deep, over the top, with the fade or just leading it between the S and CB, kind of like a post? If it's the later you're most vulnerable to this play in off man coverage.

The only time they'll hit me over the top with a fly route is when I'm playing press man coverage and I only have one safety in a deep zone. When I'm playing zone, with the zones I set up as explained above, Soka (and others) manage to slip a pass in between my S and CB because my CB doesn't play back enough and my safety isn't over by the sideline. That seems to be a fly and flag route as well.

But thanks for explaining this. I'll begin to mess around with playing off and then hot routing into specific coverages. I feel like this will definitely help because I've never done this before and it seems logical to work. As I said above, I've gotten the hang of (mastered was an exaggeration) playing defense with my MLB so there's that. I just need to get the other pieces rolling.

Question:

1) Are there only two types of coverage for a CB in hot routes as in Press and Off? Because I don't want either of those, dammit!

2) When would the zone-rush plays be good to call? I've been calling those a lot more since Season 1 because I managed to stop a lot of teams through the rush which forced turnovers... but recently it seems like everyone manages to beat it because of that pass that threads the CB/S, a pass to the flat, or an in route that beats my OLB.

eznark

Banned
Every time he caught it he would run 4 yards back to get it when he had TONS of space and no one near him. So stupid.

After the first successful screen I made some defensive line adjustments so there was never really a ton of open space on those screens. Also, that happens to me sometimes too but I think it's because you were still dropping back and kind of threw while dropping which I believe impacts accuracy. Couple that with the weather and there ya go. Same thing happened to me.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'

McNeily, I've had mixed results doing this with my DEs. Between the two of them they have 3 picks when I've dropped them into purple zones to defend against curls. The problem for me has been that I've played Russell Wilson twice and Colin Kapernick. In the first game I don't think Bluemax noticed what I was doing until late, since then I've given up more rushing yardage to QBs than anyone.

I was compensating for the pass rush by bringing heat with my OLBs and sliding my MLB in a hook zone underneath the TE. It works really well to stop the traditional run but like I said above, QB runs and especially the read option were really fucking it up. FMT and Bluemax have been more heavily reliant on curls than anyone else I've played so I don't anticipate using this fix much going forward.

My LBs have more sacks than my DL and my DL has more picks than my LBs.

Question:

1) Are there only two types of coverage for a CB in hot routes as in Press and Off? Because I don't want either of those, dammit!

2) When would the zone-rush plays be good to call? I've been calling those a lot more since Season 1 because I managed to stop a lot of teams through the rush which forced turnovers... but recently it seems like everyone manages to beat it because of that pass that threads the CB/S, a pass to the flat, or an in route that beats my OLB.

1) Yes. You can either have your icon on the CB and do a manual hot route per player or you can press up, then I think A, pick the receiver who's coverage you want to alter, then choose from those options.

2) If you use too much of any one play you have to assume that the other player will figure a way to beat it. Mix up your zones and zone blitzes and you'll have greater success.

LJ11

It's usually when my CB's are playing way off. Right when their WR cuts back and the ball is in the air, Hall and Wilson are too far away to make any kind of attempt to swat/grab the ball. And even if they are right there for the tackle, they'll probably fail at tackling. But that's another problem that I'm currently fixing through XP.

I've begun to put my OLB's in the purple zones, especially when I'm selecting zone blitzes (3 deep, 3 hooks, and the rest rushing) but this is where the next part comes into play...

The only time they'll hit me over the top with a fly route is when I'm playing press man coverage and I only have one safety in a deep zone. When I'm playing zone, with the zones I set up as explained above, Soka (and others) manage to slip a pass in between my S and CB because my CB doesn't play back enough and my safety isn't over by the sideline. That seems to be a fly and flag route as well.

But thanks for explaining this. I'll begin to mess around with playing off and then hot routing into specific coverages. I feel like this will definitely help because I've never done this before and it seems logical to work. As I said above, I've gotten the hang of (mastered was an exaggeration) playing defense with my MLB so there's that. I just need to get the other pieces rolling.

Question:

With regards to question one, there's an in between coverage they play if you show blitz.

When you zone blitz, or blitz period, you want to use the same exact look/shell. If you're playing two deep and then all of a sudden go single high with 8 in the box they know what might be coming. You want to surprise them when you blitz. Play the same exact coverage shell for 3-4 plays, they'll feel they have you figured out and surprise them. Base align can help get you the same look. Purple zones are your friends when you blitz, don't leave the blitz stock take away what you think they're going to do based on their tendencies.

If a guy is hitting you with curls drop a purple or yellow zone in that area, put the SS in yellow zone on the strong side, and then work with the MLB. Don't try to defend the entire field with the MLB either. You've got one side locked up with the SS and OLB, now defend the middle area because your other guys have the outside covered. You're not superman, can't cover the entire field, understand where your help is.

eznark

Banned
I did that last night a couple times, played off to bait Trasher after he immediately went curl on cover three in the first drive. I took no chances. I had Matthews drop into the zone and sat in the zone with my safety. I even held Y!

Johnson caught the ball with zero issue despite three guys hanging on him.

I don't know why you run those crossing routes with CJ, trasher. He outcatches everyone every fucking time.

McNei1y

Thanks for the tips LJ and Wellie. I'll mess around with these hot routes, play calls, and formations in some scrimmages later today. I hope I can get used to this because I'm tired of failing to the same thing over and over.

eznark

Banned
Thanks for the tips LJ and Wellie. I'll mess around with these hot routes, play calls, and formations in some scrimmages later today. I hope I can get used to this because I'm tired of failing to the same thing over and over.

Why don't you just sit on the curl with your deep safety? It's deep enough that generally speaking you can generally get back if they run a 9 from the slot as long as your FS isn't super slow.

You do that once and most people stop going to it every single time. Except DM!

McNei1y

Why don't you just sit on the curl with your deep safety? It's deep enough that generally speaking you can generally get back if they run a 9 from the slot as long as your FS isn't super slow.

You do that once and most people stop going to it every single time. Except DM!

I haven't really covered the curl route with anyone aside from my OLB and CB. Yesterday, I had my SS in a hook zone and I saw AT was getting ready to throw to Nicks in the curl. I saw it coming and quickly ran to try and pick/swat the ball with my SS but I was still a second too late from having an attempt at it. It does seem like it'd work if I had set my zones up better so I didn't have to cover such a large area with my SS.

eznark

Banned
I haven't really covered the curl route with anyone aside from my OLB and CB. Yesterday, I had my SS in a hook zone and I saw AT was getting ready to throw to Nicks in the curl. I saw it coming and quickly ran to try and pick/swat the ball with my SS but I was still a second too late from having an attempt at it. It does seem like it'd work if I had set my zones up better so I didn't have to cover such a large area with my SS.

Oh. I kind of thought you were playing a scrub like Bob or something. Yeah, if you're playing someone who knows what they are doing don't use your safety or you'll probably get torched.

Every team will run hitch and go's and sluggos this week to piss off the people who think they figured out how to stop curl routes.

Sadly, I have a bye :(

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
McNeily: As far as passing goes, one of the things I like to do is to get my guys downfield (somewhat) with blockers in front. It's really simple, for example, with this play:

lBk4i.jpg

If I see the corner on the right playing off (man or zone, doesn't matter), I like to hot route the slot guy into a shorter break on his route and I'll also hot the TE over to that same general area. What this does is that if you time it right, it will set two guys directly in front of my receiver assigned to "B" and they pick off the oncoming corner when they are converted to blockers after the catch is made. If I'm lucky the third guy (the CB covering the slot guy or the LB covering the TE) will get screened off when the block of the other two guys are made.

I did it with a lot of success in season 1 with my HB Pead out of necessity since I had nothing regarding receivers. As a sidenote, I know we all don't put too much weight into AWR butit has worked better with guys that have high value there.

I feel like some of our more advanced guys like Bluemax, LJ, Luke etc, are really good at stopping all the regular shit that people do (the convo above is a good example). You need to be thinking a step ahead on offense against some people. This is not a complex concept and is easily repeatable across many plays and formations so it can help you a little.

McNei1y

Smash Hot Routes

This is a play that I like to run; however, my hot routes aren't as successful/smart. I would normally have the B guy run a fly route with my slot guy running a shorter flag pattern. As for A, I would either keep him on the fly route or do an out route. It works sometimes but it does become a crowded mess at times.

Trasher

how many of those picks came on TE vertical shake?

None. I was playing against the CPU.

After the first successful screen I made some defensive line adjustments so there was never really a ton of open space on those screens. Also, that happens to me sometimes too but I think it's because you were still dropping back and kind of threw while dropping which I believe impacts accuracy. Couple that with the weather and there ya go. Same thing happened to me.

I think it had to be the rain. I run those screens successfully all the time, and I know when to stop Stafford on the drop back in order to throw it so I'm not on the run.

I messed around afterward with it and had no issues trying different ways of throwing it.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
This is a play that I like to run; however, my hot routes aren't as successful/smart. I would normally have the B guy run a fly route with my slot guy running a shorter flag pattern. As for A, I would either keep him on the fly route or do an out route. It works sometimes but it does become a crowded mess at times.
I don't like that cause then you have the CB trailing the slot guy, ahead of him but behind your receiver on a fly is the other CB and then over the top is your safety. Literally a fuck you up club sandwich.

McNei1y

I don't like that cause then you have the CB trailing the slot guy, ahead of him but behind your receiver on a fly is the other CB and then over the top is your safety. Literally a fuck you up club sandwich.

Yeah, it's really not the type of situation one wants to be in lol. Hot routes are another thing I need to work on. I've got to create some routes that would throw one off their zone or something.

Would anyone want to play later tonight in a practice?

LJ11

I'll tell you how I read the play posted. First off, based on the play art, the back side dig may be unbumpable, so if I see two deep with press corners I know what my reads are. Decipher man vs zone, if man hit the dig at the top of the drop, if two deep zone read the 3 receiver side. Smash route (short curl) will eat flat defender up, half field safety will take the seam route by the TE and the corner route is mine for the taking. Just lead it up and to the right, you want it upfield more than to the outside.

Against a different type of coverage you may want to change your hot routes to beat what you think is coming, but if you see two deep press this how you should read the field.

If the slot CB is playing off I'm taking the corner route as well, but I'll have the backside WR run a drag just in case it's zone. Want the corner route against off man all day.

McNei1y

Stop giving McNeily tips. Thanks.

Hey, I'd give you tips if you needed them. But you obviously don't need them!

I'll tell you how I read the play posted. First off, based on the play art, the back side dig may be unbumpable, so if I see two deep with press corners I know what my reads are. Decipher man vs zone, if man hit the dig at the top of the drop, if two deep zone read the 3 receiver side. Smash route (short curl) will eat flat defender up, half field safety will take the seam route by the TE and the corner route is mine for the taking. Just lead it up and to the right, you want it upfield more than to the outside.

Against a different type of coverage you may want to change your hot routes to beat what you think is coming, but if you see two deep press this how you should read the field.

If the slot CB is playing off I'm taking the corner route as well, but I'll have the backside WR run a drag just in case it's zone. Want the corner route against off man all day.

Thanks. I'll make sure to look more indepth on what the defense is in. I was never very good at it. I normally just look to see if they're in press and if the linebacker/safety in Dime is on my slot receiver. That's about it. I never really adjusted much like this unless I switch from a run to a pass or pass to a run based on the defense's formation and/or showing blitz. I'm pretty simple.

Top Bottom