• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '16 PS4 Online league thread #2: Blink Daggers and Backflips

DJ Bowser

Bowser i think we play next week, whats your availability like im thinking friday 10 est? But im flexible, earliest i can go is 9 est on a weekday though

Really, the later the better for me. I work nights and until next month live an hour from work. I try to placate the Mrs by spending that immediate time with her. What's the later end of your availability window?

Really, the later the better for me. I work nights and until next month live an hour from work. I try to placate the Mrs by spending that immediate time with her. What's the later end of your availability window?
I could play as late as 3am est on friday if you really wanted heh, or name a time on saturday a d we can try to make it work

LJ11

I'll say this, some of the recent mods (last couple of years), were some of the biggest trolls/baiters before being elevated. Obviously, they cleaned their act before getting put on the mod squad, but some of the biggest former trolls are now mods. It's hilarious.

Edit: Actually, its not a recent development, has been a prerequisite in some cases going back years. LOL

With KI coming to windows I can't think of any reason to keep my xbone.

forza 6
facepalm.gif

brentech

I don't get it

played Project Cars and wasn't feeling it at all - much prefer GT's model from what I experienced, and damn was it a chore to get going compared to how streamlined DC is

just a joke. I appreciate DC for what it is and play an hour or so here and there, but was hoping for more of a sim experience out of the gate.
I personally don't think GT's phyiscs model is all that different from PCars, but the default controller setup in PCcars is garbage.

Greg

you should check out the hardcore mode they added!

loosens up the handling a bit, but the biggest change is the braking points are much more realistic (maybe too much so, actually)

not sim, but gives all the cars a new flavor

Smokey

If Halo gets announced for Windows I'll sell. And once they get the W10 store shit figured out (no gsync, no,mgpu support,can't use overlays, etc) for the games they are porting, I'll be in.

rinse82

Smokey, what's the go to graphics card these day if I'm only worried about 1080p?

Ive been doing my own bit of research for my build and it seems like the GTX 970 or R9 390 will do the job for 1080p. But I'm no expert

I'm leaning 390 right now due to the DX12 performance bump that these cards are going to get.

brentech

Ive been doing my own bit of research for my build and it seems like the GTX 970 or R9 390 will do the job for 1080p. But I'm no expert

I'm leaning 390 right now due to the DX12 performance bump that these cards are going to get.

This seems to be the consensus.

Greg

This seems to be the consensus.

AMD 390 or 970. The 390 has been out performing the 970 as of late, and also has more VRAM.
thanks, friends!

Greg

Greg, do you know anything about these programs/add-ons?

I'm feeling inspired again and since I'm likely NOT buying a house this year, I want to spend some money on my recording gear. Some of these cinematic-centric ones seem useful for intros and transitions.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/heavyocity-special/pricing-gravity/
I'm not a huge fan of Heavyocity's stuff to be honest

I have experience with AEON Melodic, Rhythmic, Damage, and the Evolve series... great recordings, great interfaces, but they're all mainly focused around manipulating pre-made extended loops which makes to hard to create truly unique things

the sounds on their own are fantastic out of the box, but it's a bit misleading since they are so heavily processed it's often hard to get them to sit well in your mix unless you know what you're doing

bang for your buck, I'd just look into Komplete or Omnisphere... better to have more tools to work with than just one library that's so focused

edit: if you're stuck on the 'cinematic' side of things and do want a more focused library, look into Sample Logic's Guitars Infinity - incredible amounts of playability when it comes to creating something original, but also has the stings/transitions that you're looking for

DJ Bowser

Join my band

Sure! I demand complete control of lyrics!

I'm not a huge fan of Heavyocity's stuff to be honest

I have experience with AEON Melodic, Rhythmic, Damage, and the Evolve series... great recordings, great interfaces, but they're all mainly focused around manipulating pre-made extended loops which makes to hard to create truly unique things

the sounds on their own are fantastic out of the box, but it's a bit misleading since they are so heavily processed it's often hard to get them to sit well in your mix unless you know what you're doing

bang for your buck, I'd just look into Komplete or Omnisphere... better to have more tools to work with than just one library that's so focused
So Komplete and Omnisphere will provide similar instruments while being more user-controlled?

Greg

check my edit

but I don't know what you have access to already or the type of stuff you're trying to make

Omnisphere and Komplete are a catch all though to get your hands dirty - Omnisphere as an instrument, and Komplete as a collection of instruments and tools (EQs, comps, amps, etc.)

it's hard for me to recommend buying such a specific library unless you know it's exactly what you're looking for and have the tools to make it sit well with what you're doing

DJ Bowser

check my edit

but I don't know what you have access to already or the type of stuff you're trying to make

Omnisphere and Komplete are a catch all though to get your hands dirty - Omnisphere as an instrument, and Komplete as a collection of instruments and tools (EQs, comps, amps, etc.)

it's hard for me to recommend buying such a specific library unless you know it's exactly what you're looking for and have the tools to make it sit well with what you're doing
I have Logic Pro X and all of its add-ons and one vocal filter program whose name escapes me right now. I make fairly standard rock with I guess could be considered some classical elements. Musey, Floydy stuff made exlusively with my keyboard playing bats and then drum tracks.

I'm not in love with the organ or electric keyboard sounds I have available to me in the software and I'm always looking for improvements to the orchestral elements (particularly strings) as well as finding ways to control the drum loops and such better. I have a song that's very Romantic Classical-Esque that I have no percussion on because the program just couldn't mesh with it.

Those cinematic things with the swells and stings would be useful. The biggest weakness in my recordings thus far (other than my vocals) are my transitions and bridges.

Edit: Also, I'm fairly certain it's impossible, but if you have any ways to recreate guitar sounds with a midi keyboard that would be grand. I have a little vst and effect combo I can get some use out of but its a very specialized, niche sound that has been useful on only 2 songs.

Greg

knowing your situation, it's really hard to argue against Komplete then - tons of value and covers a nice spectrum

highlights from the base package: full version of Kontakt (what most of those sample libraries like the one you linked and Sample Logic run on), Guitar Rig (amps/fx), Massive/Absynth (synths), Battery (drums), nice collection of pianos/basses, Reaktor (tons of free quality stuff from the community), and some EQ/verb/comp plug-ins

DJ Bowser

knowing your situation, it's really hard to argue against Komplete then - tons of value and covers a nice spectrum

highlights from the base package: full version of Kontakt (what most of those sample libraries like the one you linked and Sample Logic run on), Guitar Rig (amps/fx), Massive/Absynth (synths), Battery (drums), nice collection of pianos/basses, Reaktor (tons of free quality stuff from the community), and some EQ/verb/comp plug-ins
Thanks, Fam!

I'll see if I can get it for cheap.

brentech

Fuck I wish I prepped for them.

Trying to figure out what to have for dinner right now. A lot of options in my area but nothing is beating the other out.

I usually have some chicken breasts on the ready to sous vide when not 100% sure what to eat. Then find random side item to eat with and I'm good to go.
High protein, low calorie dinner.
highfive.gif

Greg

Thanks, Fam!

I'll see if I can get it for cheap.
NI usually has 2 50% sales a year - around June for Summer and around Thanksgiving (works for upgrades too)

and as for guitar stuff... how technical? I don't have any specific libraries that would emulate many advanced techniques on their own, but if you get creative with processing you can get some great results

DJ Bowser

NI usually has 2 50% sales a year - around June for Summer and around Thanksgiving (works for upgrades too)

and as for guitar stuff... how technical? I don't have any specific libraries that would emulate many advanced techniques on their own, but if you get creative with processing you can get some great results
What sort of processing tricks could emulate some long-sustained bends or the vibrato-type sustains or whammy shiz?

My keyboard has a pitch shifter joystick that is also supposed to emulate a rising-action type effect but it is rather touchey.

Greg

What sort of processing tricks could emulate some long-sustained bends or the vibrato-type sustains or whammy shiz?

My keyboard has a pitch shifter joystick that is also supposed to emulate a rising-action type effect but it is rather touchey.
not sure all what's available in Logic Pro, but I'm sure there should be some oscillator you can easily route? or worst comes to worse draw in the pitch envelope manually if it's that touchy live?

Top Bottom