• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden 360 Season 9 Thread: A Jgar for All Seasons

Tamanon

Banned
Beating the blitz is kinda tough in this game because the CPU man coverage is VERY tight on your safety valves. It's tough to get your running back away from the defender. Never mind how bad most screens are:lol

BirdBomb

Banned
vumpler said:
Birdbomb:

A person having a 75% rushing attempts and 25% passing is an unbelievable place to be in if you're that offense. That is a GREAT thing. That is the game strategy of many teams in the NFL (ravens included.) If you don't like the fact that a team is running on you so much, stop the run. If a team is running the same couple of pass plays, thats actually a good thing since you know its coming get the pick or shut it down. Just lab your defense some more. If you're upset someone is blitzing you take away their blitz with blitz beater routes.

Football is active chess for coaches, you just have to make your call and beat them to it.

Is that the reply for every complaint? "it's your defense. Nothing was done wrong. It's your defense."

658 total yards in 3 games
219 yards per game isn't too shabby.

And i'm sorry, but does this league disregard all the rules on the rules page?

When was the last time you watched an NFL game and a team ran the same few plays OVER AND OVER AND OVER. Also, im not sure when i've seen a team run 28 times to 10 passes.

That is the game strategy of many teams in the NFL (ravens included.)

Do you watch football? the FEWEST number of passes McNair threw when he wasn't injured was 23 in week 8. Even week 17, when they have the division locked, they threw the ball 35 times. But yes...i forget, the ravens run a 75% run 25% pass. I must be wrong here, right?

BirdBomb

Banned
Tamanon said:
Beating the blitz is kinda tough in this game because the CPU man coverage is VERY tight on your safety valves. It's tough to get your running back away from the defender. Never mind how bad most screens are:lol

Exactly. Try every single down hiking the ball, and having 4 lineman and 2 LBs rushing at you. Now imagine that with the Ravens defense.

"dump it off to your RB, blah blah blah"

With the way i was blitzed, i didn't have time to dump it off. It was literally "hut" 1 step 2 steps sack.

"well, that's a problem with your line"

Does this give him the right to constantly do it? NO.

The rules say play sim ball. the ravens blitz 1 of 3 plays in real life. Not 3 of 3. kthx.

28 runs to 10 passes. When i asked him on AIM about it, it was because "the ravens have no offense".

Steve McNair
Todd Heap
Desmon(sp) Mason
Speedy Micheal Clayton.
Good catching FB

right. No offense.

BirdBomb

Banned
Azwethinkweiz said:
The real NFL also doesn't use 5 minute quarters.

Yes, but we get the same about of plays off as a 15 min real life game.

5 minute quarters with 28 runs is boring as i'll get out. Especially when it's the same crap over and over.

Fact is:

Rules say play sim, don't call the same crap over and over. And what was done? exactly that. Not the mention running the ball exclusively is the same as running the clock. Which is again, against the rules. Im pretty sure non-stop blitzing is somewhere in the rule book too.

2-3 rule violations

Solution:
"Your defense needs work"

figures.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Hey....Ror only threw like 6 passes against me, and 30+ runs! I demand Reperations!

Andokuky

Banned
If this were current gen I would love for someone to run 3 times as much as they pass. Not in this game though.. AI is a little dumber and I swear at least 3 times a game a RB will actually go completely through my defender :( I hate super hardcore blitzing though... it's not realistic at all. It's no different than bump and run every play. I will try to counter it though. Jay Jesus Cutler am cry already.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Azwethinkweiz said:
Coldblooded, you around to play?

Today, i wont be able to play until probably late. Ill post and see if your around at that time.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
I've never met someone who has complained so much over nothing to put it bluntly. If a team can't stop the run, their going to keep pounding it at you until you learn to stop it, period. The milk the clock rule is implemented for people who wait until there is no time on the clock left and hiking the ball. Calling a play, coming to the line, running the play, calling your next play within 5-10 seconds (running play or not) is not milking the clock.

And yes the answer to almost every one of your questions is "Learn to play defense." Because all of the complaints you have had are because your D isn't very good and you're not happy with it.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Vumpler,how come on the site im down as the Steelers?

I have no clue if im in this league and if Fmt is sending me his copy.

vumpler

FMT said its forsure and you're the titans... The steelers we don't have a player for ATM. Waiting on a new player.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Ok cool,of course I cant play till I get it :p

vumpler

Yeah I was going to get you a win with the titans but the CP dropped because he didn't get the chiefs or saints. So I have to find him a replacement.

BirdBomb said:
When was the last time you watched an NFL game and a team ran the same few plays OVER AND OVER AND OVER. Also, im not sure when i've seen a team run 28 times to 10 passes.

Joe Gibbs football they ran a lot of the same plays just with different formations and hell they would consistently run the same play as well. If you can't stop the run, you will get run on. Plain and simple. NFL coaches wouldn't just ignore a weakspot (unless you are the Bengals playing the Colts).

Rorschach

Tamanon said:
Screens are pretty bad in the 360 version because a lot of times you'll either get no blocks or your receiver will run out of bounds or not turn around for the catch. :\

Beating the blitz is hard, but if someone continually blitzes the hell out of you, you can make them pay big in other ways.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Rorschach said:
Screens are pretty bad in the 360 version because a lot of times you'll either get no blocks or your receiver will run out of bounds or not turn around for the catch. :\

Beating the blitz is hard, but if someone continually blitzes the hell out of you, you can make them pay big in other ways.
A staple of the Giants offense is the screen to Tiki. I can't count how many times the ball hits Tiki right in the hands and he doesn't react in the game. Ugh.

Conversely, I have taken two screens home for TDs.

LiveWire

Wellington said:
A staple of the Giants offense is the screen to Tiki.

Heed his words gentlemen. If you're shutting down the run and/or any deep threats, that screen is coming. And if you made the mistake of playing a normal cover 2 or shifted your LBs to the wrong side of the field, have fun watching him go by...

BirdBomb

Banned
Then this league is build on double standards.

"this is the rule, but it can be broken if whatever you're doing is working."

"Play sim, don't call the same plays over and over"

that is the rule right?

then why is it ok to call the same plays, as long as it's working?

And yes, i know i b**ch alot. Sometimes, it's just me venting. But, sometimes i have a point. Like this time. "ravens run a 75%, 25% offense" i proved that wrong.

When i was in the ps2 league with FMT as the main commish, there was never this many problems. there was a few problems a year, but nothing like this. The way you handle problems is so horrible. If you've played the guy before, then the complaint is a lie. if you don't agree with the complaint, it's my defense. If you give a stat, and i show you that you're wrong, you defend yourself with "you whine too much".

This is fine, i've learned now to not make complaints, just start playing the way i'm being played. And that's fine by me.

matrix i sent madden today via USPS. should be there... sometime in the next week or so!

some points:

1. the run defense IS broken in madden 07 360. i won't say it's completely broken, but there are major issues. the running game is closer to NFL 2k5. one glance at our season 8 rushing stats will tell you that.

2. people complain when they lose. i have done it, you have done it, everyone has done it.

bottom line is there is a specific way to be "more" successful at stopping the run, and playing that style of defense isn't realistic in a sense that it would most certainly NOT work in the real NFL. here is your best bet to stop the run in madden 07 360:

1. play the 4-3.
2. pinch your defensive line physically AND stunting (so they pinch)
3. play as the MLB

this accomplishes a couple things. #1 it makes sure that any run up the middle is contested heavily. #2 it puts the responsibility of stopping the play squarely on YOUR shoulders, because 9 out of 10 players are going to bounce that run up the gut to the outside.

the other unrealistic thing about run defense is that it does not pay to blitz. why? because once a RB gets to the 2nd level, he is gone. there is no one there to stop him. that is why if you look at my individual gamecast playcalling, you would see an almost EXCLUSIVE playcalling of standard man-to-man 2 safety deep coverage. why? b/c ill play MLB, and if i can't stop the play i have another line of defense behind me that i can switch to (the safeties deep in coverage). i usually hot route blitzes from that formation. problem with that strategy is you rarely get pressure on the qb.

but try it out and see if it helps. madden 07 360 isn't very realistic from a stats or strategy standpoint. but you have to adapt. the game is built on big plays (as evidenced by stats such as yards per play.... yes the yardage in a 5 min quarter is the same as a real 15 minute quarter in the nfl, but while nfl teams are getting 350 yards on 50-60 plays, you are getting the same amount of yardage in half the plays)

we can only hope for a return to greatness with madden '08, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

Matrix

Thanks Fmt,I'll try to win 1 game for you!

BirdBomb

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
matrix i sent madden today via USPS. should be there... sometime in the next week or so!

some points:

1. the run defense IS broken in madden 07 360. i won't say it's completely broken, but there are major issues. the running game is closer to NFL 2k5. one glance at our season 8 rushing stats will tell you that.

2. people complain when they lose. i have done it, you have done it, everyone has done it.

bottom line is there is a specific way to be "more" successful at stopping the run, and playing that style of defense isn't realistic in a sense that it would most certainly NOT work in the real NFL. here is your best bet to stop the run in madden 07 360:

1. play the 4-3.
2. pinch your defensive line physically AND stunting (so they pinch)
3. play as the MLB

this accomplishes a couple things. #1 it makes sure that any run up the middle is contested heavily. #2 it puts the responsibility of stopping the play squarely on YOUR shoulders, because 9 out of 10 players are going to bounce that run up the gut to the outside.

the other unrealistic thing about run defense is that it does not pay to blitz. why? because once a RB gets to the 2nd level, he is gone. there is no one there to stop him. that is why if you look at my individual gamecast playcalling, you would see an almost EXCLUSIVE playcalling of standard man-to-man 2 safety deep coverage. why? b/c ill play MLB, and if i can't stop the play i have another line of defense behind me that i can switch to (the safeties deep in coverage). i usually hot route blitzes from that formation. problem with that strategy is you rarely get pressure on the qb.

but try it out and see if it helps. madden 07 360 isn't very realistic from a stats or strategy standpoint. but you have to adapt. the game is built on big plays (as evidenced by stats such as yards per play.... yes the yardage in a 5 min quarter is the same as a real 15 minute quarter in the nfl, but while nfl teams are getting 350 yards on 50-60 plays, you are getting the same amount of yardage in half the plays)

we can only hope for a return to greatness with madden '08, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

Thanks for the Info FMT.

Matrix

FrenchMovieTheme said:
you vick this god damn league into the ground matrix! YOU DO IT FOR ME!!!

:lol :lol

Yes Master.

vumpler

I actually think its much much harder to contain Vince for the simple fact that he has a few receivers to actually throw to. You can play a full game and not have to scramble once with Vince. On the other hand with the falcons it would be a huge struggle to attempt to stay in the pocket the whole game.

DCX

DCX
I agree with everything you guys are saying, Vick is containable if using the right defenses. With that said i'm 2-1 this season with my one loss a total breakdown of my defense and a two point conversion for the win. So despite people playing to stop Vick i still managed to stay in games and let my field position and Defense put me in a good position to score.

I noticed now more than ever, field position is what is going to win me games. Kock Returns, punt returns, punting ( i lead the league in punts in the 20 ) and good D. ( Top 5 in ints, fumbles, sacks...although yards is a different story ) Birdbomb was bitching how i used Vick. I take what the defense gives me. In 3 games this season the defense hasn't given me much of anything and yet here i stand with a 2-1 record, this point last season i was 0-3. I'm happy, and i know i have alot to work on, but i will get it right.

DCX

This sucks, my week 2 and 3 opponents (Steelers and Titans) don't have owners at the moment :(

I want to see if I can get Kitna 5 INT's next game, dammit!

vumpler

Lol well you'll have to wait on Matrix for the titans, but the steelers I have taken care of. They are no longer the steelers, but are the vikings. The steelers would now have fit into the way I did the divisions to begin with. So now it's the vikings. I will play the vikings mixed with DCX if he wants and a few others. But for now schedule with me until someone decides they would like to sub. I will not be playing my regular panthers esque style, to give things a new look.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
vumpler said:
Lol well you'll have to wait on Matrix for the titans, but the steelers I can take care of. We are just going to have a sub team. And I guess it will be the steelers. I might make it a lesser team to make it more fun for the subee.

Dude make it the Browns and I would gladly play. :)

LiveWire

Wellington said:
Dude make it the Browns and I would gladly play. :)

You're kidding right? The Browns are the worst. They have absolutely no playmakers. Even the Raiders have a decent D and Moss. The Lions have Roy Williams. I'm surprised I was able to score at all with the Browns (and it took every trick in the book to beat Sable's Redskins). But have fun! :lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I might have to bench HasselBoob for Wallace, just to scare people.

PEE YOUR PANTS, FOES, PEE YOUR PANTS.

Rorschach

LiveWire said:
You're kidding right? The Browns are the worst. They have absolutely no playmakers. Even the Raiders have a decent D and Moss. The Lions have Roy Williams. I'm surprised I was able to score at all with the Browns (and it took every trick in the book to beat Sable's Redskins). But have fun!
:lol :lol :lol Moss...you mean that guy on the bench? saldjfalskdjf

I just played a game of Madden 06 with Hitokage because I couldn't find my 07 copy....HOLY MOSsES! Collins is a BEAST compared to Brooks and Moss actually catches wide open passes. Let's revert to 06, guys!

PS: I'd sign up for some sub games if you need someone.

hgplayer1

hmmm ok I just looked at my schedule and isnt Matrix gonna be using the Titans?

is ChrisJames using two teams? this means I will have to play him 4 times?

Rorschach

hgplayer1 said:

Yeah, Matrix is the Titans, but we're waiting for him to receive his copy of Madden.

Vikings are a filler team.

hgplayer1 said:

I'm only the Lions. Vumpler played as the Vikings today in our week 3 game and put me as the owner after the game so that I could fill in the stats for both teams...

LiveWire

DM, are you free now to play our game? Tamanon, if you're around now or tomorrow morning before 9:30 to play our game lemme know.

And if anyone else is looking for a scrimmage, I'm free to play. AIM: Atreides815

vumpler

Why are these two games not completed?

Indianapolis Colts at Kansas City Chiefs
Jacksonville Jaguars at Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Has anyone talked to any of the parties involved?

Tamanon

Banned
vumpler said:
Why are these two games not completed?

Indianapolis Colts at Kansas City Chiefs
Jacksonville Jaguars at Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Has anyone talked to any of the parties involved?

Um, read the thread, the Jags game is getting played tomorrow.

bluemax

Banned
DCX said:
I agree with everything you guys are saying, Vick is containable if using the right defenses. With that said i'm 2-1 this season with my one loss a total breakdown of my defense and a two point conversion for the win. So despite people playing to stop Vick i still managed to stay in games and let my field position and Defense put me in a good position to score.

I noticed now more than ever, field position is what is going to win me games. Kock Returns, punt returns, punting ( i lead the league in punts in the 20 ) and good D. ( Top 5 in ints, fumbles, sacks...although yards is a different story ) Birdbomb was bitching how i used Vick. I take what the defense gives me. In 3 games this season the defense hasn't given me much of anything and yet here i stand with a 2-1 record, this point last season i was 0-3. I'm happy, and i know i have alot to work on, but i will get it right.

DCX

You destroyed me on field position. I think I had to start from my 20 or worse every single time. Also I wasn't fully paying attention once and game out with a pass when I discovered I was on my 1 or something. That hurt.

Andokuky

Banned
Ravens I'm free this morning if you wanna play.

Anyone up for a scrimmage IM me @ AndoSD. I can sub for the open team too if needed.

Top Bottom