• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden Thread of Oh We Just Play DOTA2 Now

BigAT

Are you new players using guides? You probably should be if you aren't, either the in-game guide system or one from a website. Because I can't imagine any guide saying to skill up Medusa like that.

I think the top rated guide for medusa says "play a different hero"

edit---

the vets should all vote on a starter hero for phee

qop and medusa seem to be really bad choices

Trasher

edit---

Luke posted a list of starter heroes not too long ago.

Also, Luke, AT, Fern, Az, and other dudes with experience: Do you think it's a good idea for new guys to have auto attack on or off? I've never had options like that before so I don't even know what to tell new people when it comes to turning that shit on or off. The game has always been the same for me as far as those things go.

Edit: I'm getting on to play by the way.

eznark

Banned
Even creeps attack back.

iyhKRgSiPIvmO.gif

This is the closest I ever came to yelling at anyone in Dota. Not because I was mad but because I was so totally confused.

I think I found a character I sort of understand and didn't fail out! At least so far it is .1000

I already forgot its name though

McNei1y

Is the gif all green at random times for anyone else? Is it supposed to simulate color blindness?

zByaX5L.jpg

i believe the gif was created with gifcam which uses some green screen effect.

this past game was fun. I really like silencer but damn i forgot he goes through mana fast and is as squishy as lion.

McNei1y

How do you guys know when to buy items instead of saving up for shit?

when you click the guide button at the top of the HUD it'll tell you what abilities to level up, what role you should play, and what items to buy. each guide changes the shop HUD with items that fit your role. It shows these items on that left pane in the shop menu.

BigAT

Also, Luke, AT, Fern, Az, and other dudes with experience: Do you think it's a good idea for new guys to have auto attack on or off? I've never had options like that before so I don't even know what to tell new people when it comes to turning that shit on or off. The game has always been the same for me as far as those things go.

Hard to say to start, but eventually it should definitely be off. It's weird, having it on when I was just learning to play actually kind of helped me with my movement/positioning, since I was always moving around to avoid auto-attacking the creeps.

Is the gif all green at random times for anyone else? Is it supposed to simulate color blindness?

http://i.imgur.com/zByaX5L.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

GIFCam uses it to save space, it shouldn't show up like that but I didn't care enough to try to fix it.

[quote="ph33nix, post: 68573866"]How do you guys know when to buy items instead of saving up for shit?[/QUOTE]

With a few very rare exceptions, you should never be saving up money. Figure out what items you're going to buy, then buy the items as soon as you have the money for it. Buy the individual parts as soon as you have the money for each. Shift+click the item you want to buy and it will put it in your Quick Buy slot, which will then tell you not only what items are used to build it, but will also indicate when you have enough money for each.

woodland

Auto-Off imo, makes it easier for new players that aren't as familiar to not just auto down the creep wave, pushing the lane. Really though, either one works, as long as you realize that you don't want to be pushing the lane if you're farming/babysitting.

BigAT

Also, since we have a crop of new players, you should do yourselves a favor and pick a hero you want to learn, then find a high level replay of someone playing that hero successfully. Go to Watch>Recent Games then filter Very High skill level and filter by Hero Name. Find a game in which someone played that hero successfully (good kill:death ratio), then download and watch the replay.

Set the camera on player perspective, then click the hero and just watch the entire match from their viewpoint. You can really learn an incredible amount about positioning, movement, item/skill builds and little tricks with the hero. More than you could through any guide.

LukeSmith

edit---

Lich for 30 games
Tidehunter for 30 games
Crystal Maiden for 30 games

Buy Tranquil Boots/2x Bracers on Lich and CM, everything else should go to buying wards/Smoke
Arcane Boots and a Bracer on Tidehunter and then eventually start saving enough gold for Blink Dagger. Otherwise buy Wards

Ferny

I say off. I think for me personally, having it on just hurt me for a long time rather than help me.

eznark

Banned
I'd vote Dragon Knight only because there are other people who play those three in the in houses and he'll be back up shit creek.

Ferny

Lich for 30 games
Tidehunter for 30 games
Crystal Maiden for 30 games
I did exactly this. I don't think I played as many Lich games, but Tide and CM I played for about 30-40 games each before I even went on to another hero. You learn so much after playing these two. Warding, when to go in to a fight, how to protect your lane partner, it really is how you should learn. Going random or picking carries when just starting out is a horrible way to learn the game.

LukeSmith

Everyone new should know all of the Ward spots because there's often times way more value you can provide in spending your money giving your team map awareness than anything else.

Here are some helpful guides:
http://www.team-dignitas.net/articles/blogs/dota/1092/dota-2-ultimate-guide-to-warding/

and a Video Guide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcfkKhbRIcI

I'd vote Dragon Knight only because there are other people who play those three in the in houses and he'll be back up shit creek.

I'd vote against playing any character who requires items to be good. MaddenGAFNew players will benefit so much from playing heroes with stuns.

I agree with Ferny re: carries and new players

Shake and Crow have enjoyed a bunch of success on Lina/SK -- We've gone from never seeing an epicenter hit to frequent hits to occasionally omg huge plays. Similarly, Crow has gotten a ton of stuns off with light strike array that he was missing when he started. Plus, both of those heroes have stuns (Lina unreliable stun, but marries nice as a follow-up stun, esp with the SK)

I play with it off. I turned it off early on in my dota career and I think it definitely helps out with positioning and last hitting.

In addition to what AT was saying with watching guides of a hero you choose, I would say to also check on youtube and see if purge has any playthroughs with a hero you want to learn. I don't know what the other vets on here think of him, but I think he does a really solid job explaining what he's doing, what he's buying, what he's skilling up, and why for most of the game. I find watching him play as someone I'm using for the first time really helps me out.

LukeSmith

I play with it off. I turned it off early on in my dota career and I think it definitely helps out with positioning and last hitting.

In addition to what AT was saying with watching guides of a hero you choose, I would say to also check on youtube and see if purge has any playthroughs with a hero you want to learn. I don't know what the other vets on here think of him, but I think he does a really solid job explaining what he's doing, what he's buying, what he's skilling up, and why for most of the game. I find watching him play as someone I'm using for the first time really helps me out.

He's fine as long as you can tolerate 3-7 hugely douchey things that he'll say per match

Trasher

I don't think I could ever play with auto attack off. The feel of auto attack is too much a part of how I control my hero. I've also played RTS games for like fifteen years though. To me that's just how these games work.

eznark

Banned
Why are we not playing dota?

Is it because mastershake is playing some shitty game?

I'll be on late. My wife is volunteering tonight so if the kids wake up I have to check on them,. Just played a bot match with Nyx. Man I want to get good with this dude.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, I loved Lost Odyssey but I'll never play it again. I still pop in Blue Dragon every now and again just because it's so pleasant. The DS SRPG was actually really good as well. The fuck-awful Monster Hunter style DS game was, well...fuck awful

It's a shame douchey racist countries and neckbearded pillow fucking japanofreaks refused to play them because of the system they were on.

Top Bottom