• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden Thread of Oh We Just Play DOTA2 Now

Ferny

Where is SonyBob to talk shit about this now? The system they have seems just fine. No used game fees. You can play the discs on other systems just fine, just not in the original console when it's installed on another system. Periodic internet checks but they don't say how long just yet. I also believe Sony will use a system sort of like that. A system that checks internet every 72 hours I think will be just fine.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/4362680/xbox-one-games-will-require-regular-authentication-checks-used-games

Where is SonyBob to talk shit about this now? The system they have seems just fine. No used game fees. You can play the discs on other systems just fine, just not in the original console when it's installed on another system. Periodic internet checks but they don't say how long just yet. I also believe Sony will use a system sort of like that. A system that checks internet every 72 hours I think will be just fine.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/4362680/xbox-one-games-will-require-regular-authentication-checks-used-games

can i still sell my games on ebay/amazon/craigslist?

I don't know if I'd be trusting polygon for anything.

eznark

Banned
So Polygon says the system is still up for debate, but claims a source knoes exactly how it will work? lolol

images

well if nothing is changing regarding selling games (and i assume by that article then nothing is actually changing since i could still sell the game on amazon or wherever) then why didn't MS just come out and say "we have an authentication system but aside from that you can sell and trade your games in as you always have!"

ill believe it when i see it

Ferny

They can still have an authentication and have you sell or trade in games...I don't see why there has to be an "aside"

Ferny

So Polygon says the system is still up for debate, but claims a source knoes exactly how it will work? lolol

images

You should actually quote the entire paragraph they wrote about instead of writing a sentence out of context.

While an internet connection will be required for the console, the company is also experimenting with special exemption codes that could be given to select people in very particular, internet-free situations, like active-duty soldiers serving in war zones, sources tell Polygon.

The ultimate system that Xbox One will use for used games and online authentication sounds like it is still in open debate on some level internally, which may explain the company's reticence in more directly clarifying the matter this week.

They can still have an authentication and have you sell or trade in games...I don't see why there has to be an "aside"

it just doesn't add up to me. something is going to change and as usual it will be the consumer who gets fucked

While an internet connection will be required for the console, the company is also experimenting with special exemption codes that could be given to select people in very particular, internet-free situations, like active-duty soldiers serving in war zones, sources tell Polygon.

lol! WHY isn't everyone given the option to not use always-on and system checks?

eznark

Banned
This directly contradicts Polygon's piece and isn't from Polygon so...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=565577

Well, not so much directly contradicts as sheds light on why it will be impossible to sell games privately.

Also, how is what I said out of context? They flatly say that the system they are going to use for used games is up in the air. What context am I missing?

Ferny

Because piracy is an issue for these publishers and console makers. Why doesn't Steam not use DRM in their shit? Who knows. It's just not happening.

The system that is in "debate internally" isn't the used games stuff. It's the whole exemption code stuff. That's what is being discussed.

Because piracy is an issue for these publishers and console makers. Why doesn't Steam not use DRM in their shit? Who knows. It's just not happening.

The system that is in "debate internally" isn't the used games stuff. It's the whole exemption code stuff. That's what is being discussed.

piracy will always be an issue. i get a kick out of companies trotting out some ridiculous number on lost sales because of games that were pirated as if 100% of the people who pirated the game would've paid $60 for it if they couldn't have pirated it. i don't approve of piracy but i also don't approve of punishing the majority of system owners because the potential for piracy is there.

as for steam vs. xbone, if MS wants to sell me relatively new releases for $15-$25 like steam/GMG/whoever does then i won't make a peep about these policies.

also the sob story from the developers/publishers/console makers reminds me of the NFL owners with the draft contracts getting out of hand. THEY were the ones who let these rookies drive up the price to an unsustainable amount just like developers/publishers are the ones who are pouring hollywood movie style budgets into fucking videogames and then they want a re-do on it or to somehow curb that. then, like the NFL owners telling the vets "hey that money is going to get pumped back to you vets! for sure!", they'll say "oh yeah now that more of the used game money is circulating back to the publisher/developer you're going to see lowered game prices for sure!"

can't wait for the entire industry to implode and we start from scratch with a new dynamite heddy and tecmo bowl!

TheCrow

as for steam vs. xbone, if MS wants to sell me relatively new releases for $15-$25 like steam/GMG/whoever does then i won't make a peep about these policies.

There's also a ton of free indie games/experimental games that are only available on pc. Steam is not the only way to get games, or even steamwork games, on pc. Comparing steam to the new xbox drm doesn't work because consoles are completely different from pcs. Unless there will be a gog equivalent on xbox which I will never see happening. People shouldn't be comparing xbox to steam but xbox to pc.

Ferny

There's also a ton of free indie games/experimental games that are only available on pc. Steam is not the only way to get games, or even steamwork games, on pc. Comparing steam to the new xbox drm doesn't work because consoles are completely different from pcs. Unless there will be a gog equivalent on xbox which I will never see happening. People shouldn't be comparing xbox to steam but xbox to pc.

Edit: No point in continuing this back and forth anymore.

If those two PS4 ads are real, those are pretty awesome.

Ramirez

images

Is that Tom Chick?

Quote:

I told you MS had the troops back, Shake! #believe

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I know we always joke about bob being a Sony marketer, but I'm really starting to believe it lately.

BigAT

I know we always joke about bob being a Sony marketer, but I'm really starting to believe it lately.
Really? I was never joking about it. Pretty clear what was going on after he talked about turning down an opportunity to do it for Microsoft.

I've got my Warlock honed!

And look at this shit, FMT is playing DOTA!!

lol wasn't i playing with you and the gang the other night? or were you not there? ferny tried helplessly to make me not suck ass but in the end i still did!

not sure if i feel like putting the time into being good but surely it wont be too time consuming to not be embarrassing at the game. i just dont know what i'm doing or what i should buy and when!

Tinker is a lot of fun to play in the early/mid game cause i can harass people so easy and even pick them off if they get lazy. once it gets to the later part though i just get run the fuck over. I can take pot shots at people but die instantly in any kind of big battle (3v3 or more) not sure what i am doing wrong.

edit---

holy shit its 2 am... wtf

Mrbob

How bad of a job is MS doing when I own a WII U, yet have little interest in owning Xbone anytime soon. Can't be much more damning than that.

Sokantish

Maybe it's because the only games you know are coming out for it is like COD, Watch_Dogs, and EA Sports titles. Maybe wait for E3 to see some games?

Maybe it's because the only games you know are coming out for it is like COD, Watch_Dogs, and EA Sports titles. Maybe wait for E3 to see some games?

Not even bob is completely dismissing xbone. Everyone is taking a wait and see approach for e3 but of course this is a video game discussion board and there is nothing wrong with discussing what has been reported so far and giving opinions on said reports!

eznark

Banned

Are they going to announce games that allow me to disconnect the kinect and throw it in the garbage?

eznark

Banned
I bet there will be at least one real neat gaming application and not a single one trumps the fact that there will be a mic and camera transmitting everything that goes on within recording distance. Maybe if I had any confidence in Microsofts ability to maintain a secure network I'd think different. Millions of hot cameras pointed into the living rooms of the world is the most target rich hacker environment I can ever imagine. Their essential silence on the FIFA issue doesn't exactly give me confidence that they can handle that sort of attention.

The xbone will sit in the basement unplugged when not in use.

eznark

Banned
I played against a kunkka last night. Just dominated. Him and Tusk had like 6 kills in the first few minutes. Just pathetic.

McNei1y

Top Bottom