• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden Thread of Oh We Just Play DOTA2 Now

BigAT

I finished my first marathon over the weekend. I don't know why everyone makes such a big deal about them, I didn't find it that difficult.

I ran in this.

Birdman02

Bird..i thought he was.

DCX

Sorry...could've sworn I posted the other day. I just haven't been interested in playing these games like I thought I would. I don't think I've played Madden since our game a few weeks back. You might as well AP me. I'm pretty much done until Madden 25.

McNei1y

Hrm. I did poor with Silencer there. But I guess that's understandable since it's my first complete game with him. The anti-age guy was cool and trying to help out but that sand king dude got on my nerves. And neither of those two seemed to be near the group when we were about to fight.

Where the fuck did you guys all go

Taking a short break. I've got to do some things real quick.

Somnia

Hrm. I did poor with Silencer there. But I guess that's understandable since it's my first complete game with him. The anti-age guy was cool and trying to help out but that sand king dude got on my nerves. And neither of those two seemed to be near the group when we were about to fight.

Taking a short break. I've got to do some things real quick.

Ya they kept running off on their own the entire match.

eznark

Banned
I've been up since 5 fortifying the compound so if we don't start soon I am going to bed. Only thing keeping me up right now is Brendan Smith.

McNei1y

Something within my computer is slowing down my frames or whatever. I remember this happened earlier this year when one of my wires was hitting a fan. BF3 was unplayable and everything was glitchy and skipping. I managed to fix the problem when I moved the wire and readjusted a few things within my computer but I didn't know exactly what fixed it. Unfortunately, I am experiencing this problem again. I thought it was lag when I was playing DOTA today but I noticed that it becomes a frame issue when everyone groups up. It started doing this today when I came home and I heard wires hitting one of the fans again. I managed to move the wire but I don't know what to look for exactly. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

McNei1y

Something within my computer is slowing down my frames or whatever. I remember this happened earlier this year when one of my wires was hitting a fan. BF3 was unplayable and everything was glitchy and skipping. I managed to fix the problem when I moved the wire and readjusted a few things within my computer but I didn't know exactly what fixed it. Unfortunately, I am experiencing this problem again. I thought it was lag when I was playing DOTA today but I noticed that it becomes a frame issue when everyone groups up. It started doing this today when I came home and I heard wires hitting one of the fans again. I managed to move the wire but I don't know what to look for exactly. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

I'm willing to play more but I have to fix this issue first. ^^

BigAT

fun stuff! Undefeated wooooooooooooo!

I don't understand the late game stuff at all. I can't seem to do any damage and I die right away :/

After a certain point, always stick with the team. As SK, your main goal late game is to make sure you get off a good Epicenter. Hang back from the initial clash so that you can channel your Epi and then blink in. After that, just try to stay alive and use Burrowstrike to stun whenever it's off cooldown.

You did very well for your first human game.

Smokey

Run MSI Afterburner/EVGA Precision X. Monitor your GPU usage when this happens and see if it dips from the usual 98-99%. You could also have your power usage showing in the overlay and keep an eye on it when your issue comes up. When you say one of your wires...what wire are you referring to? Is this coming from the GPU? The only "wire" I can think of on a GPU that is exposed is the PSU cables and that's not really a wire..

McNei1y

Run MSI Afterburner/EVGA Precision X. Monitor your GPU usage when this happens and see if it dips from the usual 98-99%. You could also have your power usage showing in the overlay and keep an eye on it when your issue comes up. When you say one of your wires...what wire are you referring to? Is this coming from the GPU? The only "wire" I can think of on a GPU that is exposed is the PSU cables and that's not really a wire..

I'll do this stuff when I get home. And the wire that was being hit was the wires/cables that were coming from the fan above the processor.

eznark

Banned
Is there any way for Warlock to be a good support but also amass the gold I need to be useful late game? It takes me all fucking game just to get up to Mek when what I need to be useful is the Scepter and, in my dream world, the refresher orb.

Is there any way for Warlock to be a good support but also amass the gold I need to be useful late game? It takes me all fucking game just to get up to Mek when what I need to be useful is the Scepter and, in my dream world, the refresher orb.

Stack and pull at the beginning and get jungle creep gold? That's if you don't have a jungler. Later on you should be getting that sweet assist gold during team fights by dropping golem bombs on bitches.

eznark

Banned
Stack and pull at the beginning and get jungle creep gold? That's if you don't have a jungler. Later on you should be getting that sweet assist gold during team fights by dropping golem bombs on bitches.

Shouldn't I be letting the carry or tank that I am laning with get those last hits?

LukeSmith

This is sort of the beginning of running into the weakness of a Warlock at end game at non-pro skill ceilings.

He has some item dependencies and just the one reliable stun (ultimate?) that hamper him.

Explain stacking and pulling please

So, you understand that if that the game does a check every minute to see if there are creeps in each camp, and if they are not there, and there's no vision, it'll spawn some. So what you do is pull the camp at like :55 of every minute and run out of vision of the camp. Since there are no creeps in the camp at :00, it will spawn a new camp. The camp you pulled will go back and now the camp has double the creeps. That's known as "stacking" since you're basically stacking up multiple creeps in a camp. So then at like :14-:15, you pull that large camp again to the creep wave to let your creeps fight them.

This does two things. It pushes the creep wave back to your tower, and since the jungle creeps are killing your creep wave out of range of the other team, they're not getting any experience/gold. The reason that you want to stack before you pull is that a single pack will not kill off your creeps, so while it pushes back the creep wave, the other team will still get that experience, at least partially anyway. So by stacking before you pull, you can kill off your own creeps.

Hopefully that explains it correctly for you. If not, AT will come in here and call me stupid and correct what I say.

Ferny

In my opinion, you don't NEED scepter. If you have the gold then that's fine, but buying support items works out better for the team. Link em and ultimate and throw out heals is really all you need. Everything else is just a luxury.

eznark

Banned
In my opinion, you don't NEED scepter. If you have the gold then that's fine, but buying support items works out better for the team. Link em and ultimate and throw out heals is really all you need. Everything else is just a luxury.

If that's all I am doing then I fail to see why he is significantly better than Dazzle. Warlock's heal takes forever to cast, his "e" is 100% useless and his ultimate has a pretty slow refresh. Sure it's good for initiation but by the end of the game it does like no damage and the stun is short. Especially without the scepter. The link isn't really that much better as a harass than dazzle's heal and Warlock lacks the invul spell.

I don't know, Warlock is awesome when the team is rolling but in that game last night he was 1000% useless.

BigAT

This is sort of the beginning of running into the weakness of a Warlock at end game at non-pro skill ceilings.

He has some item dependencies and just the one reliable stun (ultimate?) that hamper him.

I don't know, I think Fatal Bonds is arguably just as good as his ultimate and that scales well into the late game. If you can get it on 4 or 5 of the enemy team before late team fights, it is devastating and will completely turn the tide of a fight. Then when you add in his ultimate and consider the synergy between the two skills, that's why Warlock is great. I also prefer getting stats on him instead of his E, I usually ignore it. Makes him tankier late game.

So, you understand that if that the game does a check every minute to see if there are creeps in each camp, and if they are not there, and there's no vision, it'll spawn some. So what you do is pull the camp at like :55 of every minute and run out of vision of the camp. Since there are no creeps in the camp at :00, it will spawn a new camp. The camp you pulled will go back and now the camp has double the creeps. That's known as "stacking" since you're basically stacking up multiple creeps in a camp. So then at like :14-:15, you pull that large camp again to the creep wave to let your creeps fight them.

This does two things. It pushes the creep wave back to your tower, and since the jungle creeps are killing your creep wave out of range of the other team, they're not getting any experience/gold. The reason that you want to stack before you pull is that a single pack will not kill off your creeps, so while it pushes back the creep wave, the other team will still get that experience, at least partially anyway. So by stacking before you pull, you can kill off your own creeps.

Hopefully that explains it correctly for you. If not, AT will come in here and call me stupid and correct what I say.

That's the basic gist of it. Two small things, I think the enemy team actually gets no experience if the creep wave is killed by neutral creeps in general, so them being close or not doesn't matter. Also you want to try to stack before you pull because if you don't, it will cause the creep wave to push out away from the safety of your tower since you will essentially have a wave that is 1.5X or so the size of a normal one.

Here is a cheat sheet on what time you want to be pulling the neutrals in order to hit the creep wave. The most important one to remember is X:15/X:45 for the medium camps on each side.

http://i.imgur.com/9duAL.jpg

Ferny

If that's all I am doing then I fail to see why he is significantly better than Dazzle. Warlock's heal takes forever to cast, his "e" is 100% useless and his ultimate has a pretty slow refresh. Sure it's good for initiation but by the end of the game it does like no damage and the stun is short. Especially without the scepter. The link isn't really that much better as a harass than dazzle's heal and Warlock lacks the invul spell.

I don't know, Warlock is awesome when the team is rolling but in that game last night he was 1000% useless.

You're not really using the link as a harass spell but more to keep damage going on as many of them as possible. Linking 4-5 in a teamfight will keep damage going on everyone even if they run away and also linking them and then hitting your ultimate is CRAZY good that will keep the damage going as the rest of the team goes in to fight.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, I don't think I've ever put a point into E unless I was out of shit to put points into. Always go stats first. I guess I just find all of his spell ranges lacking and cast times slow. Definitely just need to get more used to it. When I tried to link all those guys last night they'd just 3 hit kill me.

BigAT

Something else you guys could stand to work on is getting experience. It seems like some of you are pretty frequently underleveled at different points of the game. It's hard to fully determine what is the cause while also playing, but some thoughts:

-one thing I see way too often is people getting low on health while laning early and having to run back to fountain. This should only be a last resort. The slow run to the fountain and back is an incredibly long one and the amount of time you're out of your lane can be really detrimental. Your opponent doesn't always need to kill you, harassing you down low enough to force you back to fountain can cause you to fall a full level of experience behind the other hero, besides the fact you are giving them free farm during that time. To try to avoid this you can:
-buy more regen items to start. A set of tangoes and a salve is usually enough for most heroes. No need to run back if you can just heal with items and stay in lane.
-play less aggressively in lane. Hang back more and focus just on last hitting/denying the creeps. You don't always have to harass the enemy heroes while laning early on, especially if it means you will end up taking more damage than you give back. If find that you're blowing through your regen items really quickly, it probably means you're doing something wrong.

Also, try setting up an "XP ring" for your hero. You have to be within 1200 units of a unit when it dies to get XP from it. Thankfully with a few console commands, you can create a ring around your hero to give you exact information on where this range is. This allows you to play very safely and hang back, with precise knowledge of where you need to be in order to get experience from a creep. I find this extremely useful and I almost always play with it turned on. Here is how the command shows up in my autoexec file, as well as some links on how to set one up. You can change kp_5 to any button you want to use to toggle it on/off.

Code:
alias "range" "range1"
alias "range1" "dota_range_display 1200;alias range range2"
alias "range2" "dota_range_display 0;alias range range1"

bind kp_5 "range"

http://forum.thedeadlyleague.com/pa...l-console-commands-for-dota-2-step-up-you-r15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7SDwFbKWGc

eznark

Banned
FUCKING BULLSHIT BIGAT. I WAS TRYING TO SCOLL UP NOT PRESS PRIME

I don't even want to load this turn. I had you dead to rights.

Nightz

Something else you guys could stand to work on is getting experience. It seems like some of you are pretty frequently underleveled at different points of the game. It's hard to fully determine what is the cause while also playing, but some thoughts:

-one thing I see way too often is people getting low on health while laning early and having to run back to fountain. This should only be a last resort. The slow run to the fountain and back is an incredibly long one and the amount of time you're out of your lane can be really detrimental. Your opponent doesn't always need to kill you, harassing you down low enough to force you back to fountain can cause you to fall a full level of experience behind the other hero, besides the fact you are giving them free farm during that time. To try to avoid this you can:
-buy more regen items to start. A set of tangoes and a salve is usually enough for most heroes. No need to run back if you can just heal with items and stay in lane.
-play less aggressively in lane. Hang back more and focus just on last hitting/denying the creeps. You don't always have to harass the enemy heroes while laning early on, especially if it means you will end up taking more damage than you give back. If find that you're blowing through your regen items really quickly, it probably means you're doing something wrong.

Also, try setting up an "XP ring" for your hero. You have to be within 1200 units of a unit when it dies to get XP from it. Thankfully with a few console commands, you can create a ring around your hero to give you exact information on where this range is. This allows you to play very safely and hang back, with precise knowledge of where you need to be in order to get experience from a creep. I find this extremely useful and I almost always play with it turned on. Here is how the command shows up in my autoexec file, as well as some links on how to set one up. You can change kp_5 to any button you want to use to toggle it on/off.

Code:
alias "range" "range1"
alias "range1" "dota_range_display 1200;alias range range2"
alias "range2" "dota_range_display 0;alias range range1"

bind kp_5 "range"

http://forum.thedeadlyleague.com/pa...l-console-commands-for-dota-2-step-up-you-r15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7SDwFbKWGc

I've always wondered what the range was for getting XP. Sometimes I feel like I play it too safe and pull back too far. I'll try the XP ring tonight.

I think i need to work on that. I normally have to take 1-2 trips back to the fountain for regen because my number 1 goal early game is to be harassing/killing people. I'm going to try that XP ring too cause i thought you had to be in the thick of the battle to get the XP. I don't even know how far 1200 units is.

In the game last night, I remember looking and I was a good 2 levels behind everyone mid game. I wish the laning phase lasted longer cause that's my fav part of the game :/

BigAT

FUCKING BULLSHIT BIGAT. I WAS TRYING TO SCOLL UP NOT PRESS PRIME

I don't even want to load this turn. I had you dead to rights.

I'll take what I can get at this point after the awful initial positioning I had. Basically a free double kill up top for you, I was lucky to take out that rifleman with a grenade, although he had already done his damage.

Top Bottom