• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Strikers Charged League: North America Edition

Magicked

Well, I would say that giving people multiple games to play during one week period would work better. That way the season still advances, but you get more time to get your games in.

I still don't see how people are having problems finding a time to play. If you simply try to catch each other on AIM or something, there really isn't a guarantee that you will be on at the same time. Instead, try giving your opponent a list of times you can be available, and then settle on one. You can then work it into your schedule. This worked fine for all of my games.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
When I think of a Gaffer I think of someone who checks the forums at least daily. When I think of a Gaffer who signs up for a league I think of someone who checks the forums at least twice a day.

That means the PM system is an amazing communication tool. Example: say it just got announced that magicked and I are to play a game against each other. We have 5 days from to today to get this game scheduled and going. This is how I picture our pm session going.

Lets say on Sunday is the day the games are announced. At 9:00am Monday I send a pm that says:
Hey Magicked, whens a good time for our Charged game? I'm available monday after 5 eastern but then I can't play again until Thursday. Thursday I can play either in the morning or after 5.

Magicked gets the PM at 8:00pm Monday and says:
Hey vump damn sorry I didn't get your pm til earlier I had some things going on with the girlfriend. Anyway that sucks you can't play until thursday but i'm free every night after 9pm Can we play then thursday?

I get the PM Wednesday night at 5pm and reply:
Sounds good man see you then.

That took a total of 3 pms with completely shitty availability on my part and it still worked out.

I've been in the madden leagues for the last couple of years along with NCAA and APF. Those games take an hour to play and we have 5 days. Everyone seems to get them in fine and the communication has never been a problem.

Maybe if you're not having success getting in touch send a PM. If they don't check their PM in the allowed time they probably shouldn't have signed up for the league without letting us know they were going to be afk for an extended period. Don't take this wrong however, I'm not being anal about the situation and saying you HAVE to play every game in that 5 days etc etc. Things come up! It's not a big deal. Everyone has family, a wife or girlfriend, maybe both, work, school and a list of 20 other things going on. We all understand that. But please if you're going to be in the league with us, which we want you to! Please take a little time and go out of your way to get your games in.

When I post the schedule we are going to have 5 days to get them in. I will post 3 weeks at a time. So that means if you know in the forseen future you are going to be out of town for two weeks then that means you have to work doubletime to get those extra 2 games in before you head out. And if someone comes to you and says they are going to be out of town and need you to play the game with them early, PLEASE do your best to get this done. The more we work together the more fun these leagues are :D

Sorry. Been out of the country doing family business. I let Vum know though. If the question of league activity, I am in all the way. But my game will run late. My opponent, however, has yet to respond to my PM so I guess I have to wait on his response.

Miguel

That's all I want, advanced time to know who I'm facing, so I can get with them early, and when our turn comes up, we can already know what our hours/days are, and adjust accordingly.

As Magicked said as well, scheduling more than one opponent in a week, but extending the time frame to a full 7 days.

2 opponents in 7 days is much easier to do than 1 opponent in 3-4 days.

I can do 1 in 3-4, as long as we have the scheds in advance.

Akinola

CrookedRain means business, that was a damn good series--just couldn't pull it together at the end.

But it goes to show you that the Average Joes can get the job done!

That was a really fun and intense series. I was actually setting up a game invite to send to you when I received yours. Man, that sucked when my potential game tying skillshot with Dry Bones got blocked by my own shell at the end of the first game. I thought I had it. :lol

Akinola

Players with a 3 shot rating should rarely be able to make a goal.:D

Am I making you work for your wins? Cause I need to shower after what, 2 hours of strikers?

I totally lost my concentration on Thunder Island. :lol In game 2, I thought I was up by a goal and I was thinking you were AFK when your guy was standing in the corner with about 10 seconds left. You were probably wondering what the hell was wrong with me since you were the one up by a goal.

Miguel

sonic.gif

Fuzzery

Hey, I just got the game, and it looks like the league is still in the early stages, could you enter me into it late and add a default loss to my record. Thanks in advance, i'd appreciate it!

Mii SN: Fuzzery
Friend code: 034468 693178

vumpler

Ok guys we have a total of 22 active members. Which isn't a lot but its still a truly sufficient number.

I am going to dwell on the schedule right now and come up with something before the night is over :) One of you 22 are welcome to be a co commish, just hit me on aim jason1nk.

Slacker
Meta-Knight
widgetraf
Miguel
Vumpler
David
CrookedRain
Bumpkin
Akinola
DeceitDecide
Milabrega
Magicked
Mii 2
MrPlow1817
Deduce
Jackson
tetrisgrammaton
penguin
Drakken
GCQuinton
Thespis721
Fuzzery

widgetraf

2 more and we could have a World Cup format with 6 groups! But I have faith in vumpler we're going to get a pretty good setup. :D

Edit: By the way, I'm interested in playing a few games tonight so just hit me up on AIM (widgetraf) or XBL if you got a gamertag (GT: widgetraf)

vumpler

This schedule process is being more difficult that I imagined. Expect something within 24 hours.

vumpler

Well the league creator I've always used isn't around anymore. I've tried finding a new one but none will ascertain the amount of people we have. If I don't have a solution by this time tomorrow we're just going to play everyone once and be done. I was going to do it more american football style league play but its not necessary.

Schedule will be posted tomorrow no matter what!

widgetraf

vumpler said:
Well the league creator I've always used isn't around anymore. I've tried finding a new one but none will ascertain the amount of people we have. If I don't have a solution by this time tomorrow we're just going to play everyone once and be done. I was going to do it more american football style league play but its not necessary.

Schedule will be posted tomorrow no matter what!

How about we try to invite 2 more people. I'm sure out of the 22 we got, we can get 2 friends to join us. With 24 people, we can do 6 groups of 4 and it would be easy to make a league with that format.

If not, maybe 2 groups of 11 and we do a round robin per group, then move on the knock out stages. Something like the Strikers World GAF Cup. This guarantees each player 10 matches and we can do 2 matches per week. leage will be done in about 7 weeks (8 if we decide to put a mid-season break).

Edit: Actually, 2 groups of 11 would be nice because it means one person from each group will have an off week. This way, we can work around people's schedules and be a lot more flexible.

Miguel

It's amazing what you can do with an hour of your time.
Note 1: Fuzzery, you were left out due to uneven scheduling, 23rd man out, sorry.
Note 2: Each team plays 6 home, 6 away
Note 3: Each team plays each division opp 1 home, 1 away
Note 3.5: Teams in divisions with 5 have 1 interleague game during weeks 1-5, and another during weeks 8-12
Note 4: Weeks 6-7 = Full Interleague!

Yoshi Conference

Mario Division
Milabrega
CrookedRain
Akinola
Deduce
Meta-Knight

Luigi Division
vumpler
MrPlow1817
penguin
Thespis721
widgetraf
Magicked

Bowser Conference

Wario Division
DeceitDecide
Mii 2
tetrisgrammaton
Miguel

Waluigi Division
Slacker
Bumpkin
Jackson
Drakken
David
GCQuinton

Week 1
CrookedRain @ Milabrega
Akinola @ Deduce
Meta-Knight @ Miguel
DeceitDecide @ Avatar299
Mii 2 @ tetrisgrammaton
MrPlow1817 @ vumpler
Thespis721 @ penguin
Magicked @ widgetraf
Bumpkin @ Slacker
Drakken @ Jackson
GCQuinton @ David

Week 2
Milabrega @ Akinola
CrookedRain @ Meta-Knight
tetrisgrammaton @ Deduce
DeceitDecide @ Miguel
vumpler @ penguin
Magicked @ Thespis721
widgetraf @ MrPlow1817
Slacker @ Jackson
GCQuinton @ Drakken
David @ Bumpkin

Week 3
Akinola @ CrookedRain
Meta-Knight @ Deduce
Mii 2 @ DeceitDecide
Miguel @ tetrisgrammaton
Thespis721 @ vumpler
penguin @ widgetraf
MrPlow1817 @ Magicked
Drakken @ Slacker
Jackson @ David
Bumpkin @ GCQuinton

Week 4
Deduce @ Milabrega
Meta-Knight @ Akinola
CrookedRain @ DeceitDecide
tetrisgrammaton @ Avatar299
Miguel @ Mii 2
vumpler @ widgetraf
Magicked @ penguin
MrPlow1817 @ Thespis721
Slacker @ David
GCQuinton @ Jackson
Bumpkin @ Drakken

Week 5
Milabrega @ Meta-Knight
Deduce @ CrookedRain
Mii 2 @ Akinola
tetrisgrammaton @ DeceitDecide
Magicked @ vumpler
widgetraf @ Thespis721
penguin @ MrPlow1817
GCQuinton @ Slacker
David @ Drakken
Jackson @ Bumpkin

Week 6
Milabrega @ GCQuinton
CrookedRain @ David
Akinola @ Drakken
Deduce @ Jackson
Meta-Knight @ Bumpkin
vumpler @ Slacker
MrPlow1817 @ Miguel
penguin @ tetrisgrammaton
Thespis721 @ Mii 2
widgetraf @ DeceitDecide
Magicked @ Avatar299

Week 7
GCQuinton @ vumpler
David @ MrPlow1817
Drakken @ penguin
Jackson @ Thespis721
Bumpkin @ widgetraf
Slacker @ Magicked
Miguel @ Milabrega
tetrisgrammaton @ CrookedRain
Mii 2 @ Akinola
DeceitDecide @ Deduce

Week 8
Milabrega @ Deduce
Akinola @ Meta-Knight
Miguel @ CrookedRain
tetrisgrammaton @ Mii 2
vumpler @ Thespis721
widgetraf @ penguin
Magicked @ MrPlow1817
Slacker @ Drakken
David @ Jackson
GCQuinton @ Bumpkin

Week 9
Akinola @ Milabrega
Meta-Knight @ CrookedRain
Deduce @ Avatar299
DeceitDecide @ Mii 2
tetrisgrammaton @ Miguel
vumpler @ Magicked
Thespis721 @ widgetraf
MrPlow1817 @ penguin
Slacker @ GCQuinton
Drakken @ David
Bumpkin @ Jackson

Week 10
CrookedRain @ Akinola
Deduce @ Meta-Knight
Milabrega @ Mii 2
Miguel @ Avatar299
DeceitDecide @ tetrisgrammaton
penguin @ vumpler
Thespis721 @ Magicked
MrPlow1817 @ widgetraf
Jackson @ Slacker
Drakken @ GCQuinton
Bumpkin @ David

Week 11
Meta-Knight @ Milabrega
CrookedRain @ Deduce
Akinola @ tetrisgrammaton
Mii 2 @ Avatar299
Miguel @ DeceitDecide
vumpler @ MrPlow1817
penguin @ Thespis721
widgetraf @ Magicked
Slacker @ Bumpkin
Jackson @ Drakken
David @ GCQuinton

Week 12
Milabrega @ CrookedRain
Deduce @ Akinola
DeceitDecide @ Meta-Knight
Mii 2 @ Miguel
widgetraf @ vumpler
penguin @ Magicked
Thespis721 @ MrPlow1817
David @ Slacker
Jackson @ GCQuinton
Drakken @ Bumpkin

Miguel

The schedule above is not official, it's just what I drew up last night realizing we still had no schedule and trying to get this thing to move along.

From what I understood, this week we just played, was just to find out power rankings, so it wasn't really a part of the schedule. I don't know.

vumpler

Yes the last week was starters week. Everyone who played their games and won receives 1 point. The purpose of last week was to weed out the ones who aren't going to be active and it did just that.

Miguel that schedule is not how we had decided to do the league but definitely works and looks good! So there's no reason to not go with it!

What I'm going to do about scoring is keep everything in an excel spreadsheet. After every week I will take a screenshot and post it here so you can see your rank etc.

Thanks to Miguel, lets get it on!

Week 1 will officially start tomorrow Tuesday August 28th. From that point you have 5 days to complete your game! So week one must be complete by Saturday September 1st at 11:59PM!

You can go ahead and start getting your games in today if you wish but just know week 2 doesn't advance until everyone has completed their games or September 2nd hits. Also remember if you have some outstanding circumstance PM me and find some way to play your game ahead of time NOT after the fact.

Lets get it on!

edit: schedule is posted in the OP now.

widgetraf

Can we put the cut-off at 11:59PM Sunday nights indead? Just so we have the entire weekend to get the games in.

Edit: Actually, scrap that. Shouldn't matter, I realize I would rather get my games on Sunday as the 1st day of the week, instead of the last day. The sooner the better!

That being said... Magicked, just send me a PM on GAF or AIM (widgetraf). I'll be free this evening just give me a heads up!

Magicked

I shall be free this evening too! I'll IM you. :D

(Better get some practice in first. Bioshock has stolen much of my time lately.)

Nabster92

Is it too late to get in on this?

Gaf Nickname: Nabster92
Mii Name: nabster
Mii Friend code: 373770 870448
AIM screenname: nabster9288

If its too late, would anyone be interested in some friendly games?

IM me if you're interested.

widgetraf

Nabster92 said:
Is it too late to get in on this?

Gaf Nickname: Nabster92
Mii Name: nabster
Mii Friend code: 373770 870448
AIM screenname: nabster9288

If its too late, would anyone be interested in some friendly games?

IM me if you're interested.

I guess Fuzzery is back in. We get 4 groups of 6.

Magicked

Week 1 - Magicked @ widgetraf

Magicked 2 (5) - widgetraf 0 (1)

Game 1: Magicked 3 - widgetraf 0
Game 2: Magicked 2 - widgetraf 1

GG man! Pretty low scoring which seems to be the norm against you. You're quick on shutting down with your defense!

widgetraf

Magicked said:
Week 1 - Magicked @ widgetraf

Game 1: Magicked 3 - widgetraf 0
Game 2: Magicked 2 - widgetraf 1

GG man! Pretty low scoring which seems to be the norm against you. You're quick on shutting down with your defense!

Magicked in week one, turned out just as I expected :lol

Akinola

Week 1 - Akinola @ deduce
Magicked 2 (7) - widgetraf 0 (1)

Game 1: Akinola 3 - Deduce 1
Game 2: Akinola 4 - Deduce 0

good game man, I needed the practice.

deduce

Akinola @ deduce

Game 1: 3-1 Akinola's win
Game 2: 4-0 Akinola's win

Edit: Awesome game. I knew I should have hit up preseason a bit more. :lol

Week 1 - mrplow1817 @ vumpler
mrplow1817 2 (7) - vumpler 0 (1)

Game 1: mrplow1817 5 - vumpler 0
Game 2: mrplow1817 2 - vumpler 1

Good game, you made some nice adjustments in that second game to make it go down to the wire.

Edited for widgetraf's sake. Looks like I wasn't the only one who copy and pasted the format without paying close enough attention to changing all the names.

widgetraf

Week 1 Scores
9/2 3:17 PDT

Akinola 2 (7) - deduce 0 (1)
mrplow1817 2 (7) - vumpler 0 (1)
Slacker 2 (6) - Bumpkin 0 (0)
Thespis721 2 (3) - penguin 0 (0)

vumpler

Fuzzery said:
Yeah, please re-add me if possible, since i'm no long the odd one out
Nope the league had many many weeks to sign up. Sorry you missed the deadline. Join us next season! :D

Miguel

Meta-Knight...meeeeeeeeeta-knight
What are they feeding you?
Meta-Knight...meeeeeeeeeta-knight
It's not your faaaaaaaaaaault

(where you at?)

Magicked

widgetraf said:
Isn't there a website we can upload results and scores to? Something like what the Madden league has?

Maybe I'll whip up something really simple just because I have some time at work. :D

Jackson

What the heck is up with the deadline being Saturday night?

You're not giving us the full weekend? That makes no sense, I mean come on... give us until Monday night to submit scores... seriously...

vumpler

Jackson said:

You're not giving us the full weekend? That makes no sense, I mean come on... give us until Monday night to submit scores... seriously...
So you're asking for us to have over 7 days for week 1? Fine.

Lets just say fuck it and make it Tuesday. Lets see if we can at least get everyone to complete week 1 :lol

Magicked

Jackson said:

It makes plenty of sense considering GAMES TAKE 15 MINUTES. This is a very small amount of time and I don't see what the deal is. If you seriously can't get a 15 minute game done in 5 days, even if it coincides with the work week (I work too you know), then what are you doing in the league?

Didn't we already go over this?

vumpler

Magicked said:
Didn't we already go over this?
highfive.gif
About 4 times we have lol. Whatever, we'll extend the week until Tuesday anyway but week 2 STILL Starts on time on Sunday. We ARE NOT delaying week 2 but we will extend week 1 until Tuesday. So jackson if you plan on waiting until Tuesday to get your game in then you will only have 3 days to get in week 2! Plan accordingly.

Magicked

vumpler said:
highfive.gif
About 4 times we have lol. Whatever, we'll extend the week until Tuesday anyway but week 2 STILL Starts on time on Sunday. We ARE NOT delaying week 2 but we will extend week 1 until Tuesday. So jackson if you plan on waiting until Tuesday to get your game in then you will only have 3 days to get in week 2! Plan accordingly.

That's something I can agree with.

Week 1 - Thespis721 @ penguin

Thespis721 2 (3) - penguin 0 (0)

Game 1: Thespis721 1 - penguin 0
Game 2: Thespis721 2 - penguin 0

Great game. The first game looked like it was going to go into overtime but I got a Birdo skill shot off. Great defensive game on both sides.

Slacker

Week 1: Bumpkin 0 (0) @ Slacker 2 (6)

Game one: Bumpkin 0 - Slacker 1
Game two: Bumpkin 0 - Slacker 5

Ggs dude. :)

Top Bottom