• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

fuenf

How is the commentary? I usually fall asleep whenever I watch Eurosport...

They are doing a great job so far. But I usually like the Eurosports commentators, it's definitely better than the webstream, tho.

Well yeah that's annoying. But the race between on the track is close enough right now. I wonder if that will get changed as well next year, but it's not an egregious change.

I'm actually rooting for Audi so I won't complain, but this, the 20L larger fuel tank for the patrol cars, the different hybrid systems & corresponding regulations just makes it harder to follow / judge the race.

Ogier grabs another win; what a first season this is turning out to be for Volkswagen.

Yeah but it looks like VW is currently the only WRC team that isnt short on cash. They wanted to build an updated version of the Polo WRC 14 but agreed not to do it, so that Citroen / Ford etc. would still have chance...

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
tumblr_lzv5f0I0Pz1qbs6ydo1_500.jpg

fuenf

I have to say the Toyota GT One team was far more likeable than this reskinned Peugeot team. Ukyo Katayama chasing the BMW in 99 was epic. :D

nan0

Terrible. The crash didn't even look that bad from the limited footage I've seen, and they said that he could talk to the medics after the crash. :(

n0n44m

Damn :( terrible news

Already had a bad feeling the moment I saw that car... Most of the bodywork looked OK despite the ripped of door and rims indicating a huge crash, so it didn't look like the impact energy was absorbed at all :(

fuenf

RIP Simonsen :(

Terrible. The crash didn't even look that bad from the limited footage I've seen, and they said that he could talk to the medics after the crash. :(

Damn :( terrible news

Already had a bad feeling the moment I saw that car... Most of the bodywork looked OK despite the ripped of door and rims indicating a huge crash, so it didn't look like the impact energy was absorbed at all :(

this kinda illustrate the difference between high tech racing and normal (race) cars. :( The McNish and Rockenfeller Audis completely disintegrated 2 years ago and protected their drivers by absorbing most of the energy. The Aston Martin crash on the other hand looked like a normal street accident at high speed.

Addnan

Yeah that's what is even more scary. The crash just looked like he dropped it around the corner and just skidded off. Looked like he would easily walk away from it.

Spades

Terrible news about Allan Simonsen - something didn't add up when I saw the aftermath of that crash. I wonder what caused it.

Condolences to his family, friends and teammates.

I'm more curious about the injuries. The official statement they just read on EuroSport was that they got him to the hospital, and then he passed away almost immediately afterwards.

He was apparently conscious and responding to the medical team at the scene though.

Sethos

Banned
I'm more curious about the injuries. The official statement they just read on EuroSport was that they got him to the hospital, and then he passed away almost immediately afterwards.

He was apparently conscious and responding to the medical team at the scene though.

Seems like a case of internal bleeding.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Probably internal bleeding.

Sethos

Banned
Wet track, slick tires, getting outside the track and going like 200km/t, it's bound to go horribly wrong.

It was the second he hit the blue marking.

untitled-1tsu8p.gif

Wait a minute...is Pikes Peak fully paved now? WTF? I didn't see a single dirt section, and I thought that track was almost all dirt. Again...WTF? PEACE.

Yeah, they paved it recently due to safety complaints.

Wet track, slick tires, getting outside the track and going like 200km/t, it's bound to go horribly wrong.

It was the second he hit the blue marking.

untitled-1tsu8p.gif

:( At least he went out doing what he loved.

Pimpwerx

Terrible news from LeMans. That video doesn't show what would cause a fatal injury. Strange.

Also, NASCAR Nationwide is running at Road America. Qualies are on. I guess the race is on later. I had no idea they ran at Elkhart Lake, but that's my favorite North American circuit next to Circuit of the Americas. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

Yeah, they paved it recently due to safety complaints.

This...ugh...this is like...wow. Safety complaints? I suppose for the 360 days the track isn't used for racing. The element of danger is what made that trial so appealing. Oh well. I feel weird talking about it now given that someone died on a track today. :( PEACE.

Dilly

Banned
Terrible news from LeMans. That video doesn't show what would cause a fatal injury. Strange.

Also, NASCAR Nationwide is running at Road America. Qualies are on. I guess the race is on later. I had no idea they ran at Elkhart Lake, but that's my favorite North American circuit next to Circuit of the Americas. PEACE.

Considering there was extensive damage to the barriers and there are trees right behind said barriers, it's possible he actually hit the tree there.

One of the other drivers said he saw there was damage on the tree, so yeah.

TylerD

This...ugh...this is like...wow. Safety complaints? I suppose for the 360 days the track isn't used for racing. The element of danger is what made that trial so appealing. Oh well. I feel weird talking about it now given that someone died on a track today. :( PEACE.

After paying attention to the hill climb for the past several years, there have been more offs on paved sections.

Check that, it's a stupider reason:

http://www.hotrod.com/feature_stories/hrdp_1208_pikes_peak_gets_paved/

That appeal has slowly changed over the past 13 years, as the road has been paved in sections after the Sierra Club sued the city of Colorado Springs, arguing that the graveling of the road was causing damage to nearby vegetation and wetlands. An agreement was reached, and the surfacing began. It was completed in late 2011.

Top Bottom