• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NBA2K9 GAF Season...6(?) Thread!

Smokey

When you guys get online or you can do it through Xbox.com, please send a Friend request to gamertag NBA2K9 GAF Leag.

I just created this GT on Xbox.com and when you send a FR to it I will accept it and if you ever want to know who is online from this league, you can go to that GT and click on View Friends. So if you're online and want to play somebody from our league you can quickly go to the GT, view friends and see who all is online.

The gamertag is NBA2K9 GAF Leag (yes that is correct, league wouldn't fit).

Here is the list of teams:

1. Smokey - Rockets -check
  2. Shawn - Lakers
  3. CB3 - Bucks - check
  4. AKA - Celtics -check
  5. AirBrian - Bulls
  6. pheeniks - Suns - check
  7. GCQuinton - Bobcats
  8. Truelize - Cavs - check
  9. DCX - Knicks - check
  10. MrBob - Hornets - check
  11. Cerrius - Heat - check
  12. Ramirez Sixers - check
  13. daw840 Nuggets - check
  14. Dmczaf Magic
  15. anachronous_one Pistons - check
  16. FMT Mavs - check
  17. Cloudy - Nets
  18. Malley(?) - Jazz
  19. kirbybreezy Blazers - check
  20. DiddyBop Warriors - check
  21. BigAT Raptors - check
  22. viakado Hawks - check

If you have the game let me know that you do so I can keep this updated and put a check by your name.

Smokey

http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188310

Here are a few highlights:

Removal of Ranked Lobbies…
This year in thinking about how to handle ranked games and our Leaderboards we decided to make all Ranked games “blind”. Ranked games are meant to be highly competitive games in a tournament type setting. The point is to win to get to the top of the Leaderboard, period. If users can pick out there opponents that tournament setting is compromised. With blind Ranked matches people can’t find users who are less experienced and play them over and over again to move up the Leaderboard.

We anticipated the want for the community to be able to scout opponents and we encourage that, which is why we have a match list where you can view the player card of your opponent before joining a game with them. While these aren’t ranked games this is a setting for the hard core crowd that is looking for a particular experience. If you want a player who plays a certain way or is at a certain level of experience you can find that in the Player Match list. We provide more slider and gameplay options than we ever have before in creating matches so you can tailor your game exactly the way you want it.

The camera questions….
We took a hard look at all camera angles and only provided the angles we found to produce the best performance online. We have heard the concerns from the community in not having that angle as an option and are looking into a way to bring that back in the future.

Playing a friend….
While we don’t have the play a friend option this year it is still very easy to play against your friends. To do this on 360 select Player Match from the main online menu. From here you can select to Create a match. From there you can select to make your game private and after creation you will have the opportunity to pick any of the friends off of your friends list to invite to your game.

You should also know that when ever you create a match in this way, even if it’s not private you can invite your friends whenever you like after creation. On top of that if a friend selects your name off of their friends list and you have created a match they can simply select join match in progress through the Xbox 360 Guide and join the match you created. This works for head to head matches and Team-Up matches.

Server issues…
We are proud to announce this is the biggest launch we have seen online EVER. Which is very exciting for us but as you can tell it has exposed some growing pains on the server. We have gone with a completely revamped server to better support 5on5. On launch day, the massive number of people online uncovered unexpected issues that we have been working around the clock to fix. We expect ongoing server performance improvements daily and by the end of the week to provide a high level online experience our 2K fans expect and deserver.

Leagues

VCSister - IN regards to League games, is there a lobby in which to play people that are available. As you know last year we would go to the league lobby to see if people were there waiting on a game. If this is not the case then how will that work.

VCsis: Yes. When you enter your league you'll see your next 5 opponents at the top of the league home page, press to the right and you'll continue to see your future opponents. Anyone who is online will be marked with their team logo, and you can challege any of them to a custom match if you'd like. You can also press down on the D pad and get a view of just the league members that are online and able to recieve challenges right now

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Smokey said:
If you have the game let me know that you do so I can keep this updated and put a check by your name.
I got the game, go ahead and check me!

Smokey said:
When you guys get online or you can do it through Xbox.com, please send a Friend request to gamertag NBA2K9 GAF Leag.
Done.

BTW, can anyone elaborate on the cap for points in the paint and any other "house rules"? I understand that they are meant to restrict cheesing, but how are these policed/enforced?

Smokey, is there some sort of button press that I'm missing for PlayVision? I've set it to "All Plays", and last year Run the Play would just show up on the court when you crossed the half court line. This year, PlayVision *might* flicker on and off for a few seconds each quarter, but it definitely isn't working as I'm accustomed to.

Also, HoF vs. the computer is just WRECKING me right now. I like to think that I was a pretty competitive player both online and off last year on Superstar, but this year seems like a MUCH steeper learning curve. Looking forward to 2K figuring out their server situation so I can play online finally.

Smokey

anachronous_one said:
Smokey, is there some sort of button press that I'm missing for PlayVision? I've set it to "All Plays", and last year Run the Play would just show up on the court when you crossed the half court line. This year, PlayVision *might* flicker on and off for a few seconds each quarter, but it definitely isn't working as I'm accustomed to.

Also, HoF vs. the computer is just WRECKING me right now. I like to think that I was a pretty competitive player both online and off last year on Superstar, but this year seems like a MUCH steeper learning curve. Looking forward to 2K figuring out their server situation so I can play online finally.

Yes, there is a steeper learning curve this year. You pretty much have to un-train your 2k8 ways.

As for Play Vision, I set it to User plays only. When I cross the half court line I bring up my play list and choose what play I want to run THEN the diagrams appear on the court. I don't think they do it automatically anymore I think you have to initialize the play call.

"BTW, can anyone elaborate on the cap for points in the paint and any other "house rules"? I understand that they are meant to restrict cheesing, but how are these policed/enforced?"

Last year PIP was 50, however that didn't include 2nd chance points. So at the end of the game when you look at your stats, and it says you have 54 points in paint, but 6 2nd chance points then you are okay. One thing I'm not sure of is if the total PIP includes fast break points, but that's the basic idea behind it.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Smokey said:
Yes, there is a steeper learning curve this year. You pretty much have to un-train your 2k8 ways.

As for Play Vision, I set it to User plays only. When I cross the half court line I bring up my play list and choose what play I want to run THEN the diagrams appear on the court. I don't think they do it automatically anymore I think you have to initialize the play call.
Hmmm ... yeah, I could've sworn I had tried the method you mentioned as well as setting it to "all plays", and couldn't get any play diagrams to show for a sustained period of time. I'll try again tonight.

Last year PIP was 50, however that didn't include 2nd chance points. So at the end of the game when you look at your stats, and it says you have 54 points in paint, but 6 2nd chance points then you are okay. One thing I'm not sure of is if the total PIP includes fast break points, but that's the basic idea behind it.
Ah, gotcha --- that sounds less draconian than I had imagined.

BigAT

Any idea what difficulty level we play on using or any definite slider changes? I would prefer to get as used to it as possible.

Smokey

BigAT said:
Any idea what difficulty level we play on using or any definite slider changes? I would prefer to get as used to it as possible.

It's definitely going to be Hall of Fame. Some tweaking with the sliders may be done here and there, but if there are any changes that are made I'll post em, and it would probably be better to play against someone online w/ Hall of Fame rather than the CPU to get you used to it.

daw840

I have the game, go ahead and give me a check. If anyone wants to play a game, hit me up on AIM

AIM - daw840daw

Smokey

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i have the game friends!

I immediately though of McCain.

I dunno if that's good or bad:lol

In other news I tried to play a ranked match and Jamal Tinsley and Bargani were on the Rockets in my starting lineup. *Sigh*

Smokey

Matrix said:
What you do Fifty is finish this shitty season of Madden and trade it/sell it towards 2k9 when the time comes =D

Smokey,to upload a vid you need to setup a account/link your gamertag at 2ksports.com and then in the features mode after you have saved a replay during a game go into the 2k reelmaker and you can upload from there.

There's no option for me to upload...just save reel or save screenshot?

lol wtf is wrong with this game. first i can't challenge a friend so i decide to play exhibition. after every shot, whether its made or missed, you cannot take the ball out.

example:

kobe bryant scores a bucket on a swish. the ball hits the ground, he picks it up again and dunks it. the ball hits the ground and goes off my foot. lakers ball. lakers miss, i score with jason kid on a layup. get the rebound and score a layup. get the ball again and score the layup. i scored 6 points on 1 trip down the floor. then i quit and started a new game and the samething happened :lol

what the F. i deleted all my save files because even after i reset the system it still has that error, and it still does it! there's no way this can be disk related because i already played a game where the error didn't happen.

has anyone experieenced this?

i fixed it. i had to go in and delete the save from my 360 HDD as well. dont know wtf that was all about.

anyhow, i suck worse than i expected at this game. got beat by the lakers on the difficulty below hall of fame WITH some sliders in my favor by a sizeable margin!

Smokey

FrenchMovieTheme said:
lol wtf is wrong with this game. first i can't challenge a friend so i decide to play exhibition. after every shot, whether its made or missed, you cannot take the ball out.

example:

kobe bryant scores a bucket on a swish. the ball hits the ground, he picks it up again and dunks it. the ball hits the ground and goes off my foot. lakers ball. lakers miss, i score with jason kid on a layup. get the rebound and score a layup. get the ball again and score the layup. i scored 6 points on 1 trip down the floor. then i quit and started a new game and the samething happened :lol

I believe you're describing the inbound glitch?

It hasn't happened to me but I was reading about it over at 2kforums.

I'm really dissapointed in how 2K handled 2k9.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i fixed it. i had to go in and delete the save from my 360 HDD as well. dont know wtf that was all about.

anyhow, i suck worse than i expected at this game. got beat by the lakers on the difficulty below hall of fame WITH some sliders in my favor by a sizeable margin!

Yeah you REALLY have to take the time to learn this years game.

If anybody wants to ATTEMPT to try and play I'm heading on in a few minutes.

Also don't forget to send a FR to NBA2K9 GAF Leag

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Smokey, me and pheeniks played our series and I came out victorious.

I'll be taking the Heat and he'll be taking the Suns.

watch out for beasley, guys. the motherfucker does NOT miss.

if he plays like this in real life we are winning the title

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
anachronous_one said:

Set it to "All Plays" like you have it. Then when you the game starts hit left on your d-pad and the bottom adjustable slider is for "Run Plays". Move that all the way to the right and then every time down the court your team will run a play.

And we need to make a deal trade wise :)

Smokey

pheeniks said:
watch out for beasley, guys. the motherfucker does NOT miss.

if he plays like this in real life we are winning the title

sorry that belongs to the rockets this year. maybe next season.

so it appears as if we're waiting on malley, cloudy, dm, and airbrian to check in with the game.

Malley is renting the game I think, and DM and AirBrian are you two waiting on the Toys R us sale?

Knox

I'm interested in joining the league but I'd like to know what kind of time commitment I'm looking at. I haven't done a league since 2k5 so I'm a bit rusty on how it works. Just want to make sure I'm not committing myself to playing the game every night for the next six months or anything like that.

If the Spurs are still available and none of your regulars want them I'll take them, if not I'll take the Grizzlies.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Truelize said:
Set it to "All Plays" like you have it. Then when you the game starts hit left on your d-pad and the bottom adjustable slider is for "Run Plays". Move that all the way to the right and then every time down the court your team will run a play.

And we need to make a deal trade wise :)
Thanks for the tip. Check your PMs. We may be able to swing something.

So some thoughts for sliders...

I don't know how many min. quarter we will be playing but fatigue blows. My friend and I played 12 minute quarters and we pretty much could have used our starters the whole game if we wanted to.

And...either interior defense needs to be bumped up, or post offense/close shot needs to be brought the hell down. Those little bankers and layups seem to easy to come by, and I'm not sure what can be done...but getting points in the paint is too damn easy.

Which leads me to an example...Michael Beasley...Cerrius murdered me using him and I was able to score at will with Beasley. It's not even cheesing...the guy just doesn't miss. Either he's the greatest player ever or we need to fix the sliders (I hope it's the first one though)

pheeniks said:

I don't know how many min. quarter we will be playing but fatigue blows. My friend and I played 12 minute quarters and we pretty much could have used our starters the whole game if we wanted to.

And...either interior defense needs to be bumped up, or post offense/close shot needs to be brought the hell down. Those little bankers and layups seem to easy to come by, and I'm not sure what can be done...but getting points in the paint is too damn easy.

Which leads me to an example...Michael Beasley...Cerrius murdered me using him and I was able to score at will with Beasley. It's not even cheesing...the guy just doesn't miss. Either he's the greatest player ever or we need to fix the sliders (I hope it's the first one though)

This is interesting to me. Fatigue works great this year from all the games I've played. My reserves sub in and out all the time...

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Shawnwhann said:
This is interesting to me. Fatigue works great this year from all the games I've played. My reserves sub in and out all the time...
Same here. My buddy and I finally were able to get online and play a couple games last night, and if anything it seemed like fatigue was really exaggerated, meaning that even a big-minutes guy like CP3 would have to be subbed out 1 or even 2 times per half in order to keep him fresh.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
viakado said:
post shots are too easy. that's the first thing i noticed.
and im i the only one that can't play a friend? :(
No ranked matches against friends this year, in order to fight rank boosting, if I understand 2K correctly.

Player matches only. :(

anachronous_one said:
No ranked matches against friends this year, in order to fight rank boosting, if I understand 2K correctly.

Player matches only. :(
that's what i meant, i can't play friends in player matches.
and if im lucky, i get a 10% chance of playing someone in a ranked match.
this is probably the worst online experience ever for me. 2k dropped the ball hard on this one.

AirBrian

Smokey said:
sorry that belongs to the rockets this year. maybe next season.

so it appears as if we're waiting on malley, cloudy, dm, and airbrian to check in with the game.

Malley is renting the game I think, and DM and AirBrian are you two waiting on the Toys R us sale?

AirBrian said:
I'll have the game on Sunday. :D

Yep. :)

Smokey

knox said:
I'm interested in joining the league but I'd like to know what kind of time commitment I'm looking at. I haven't done a league since 2k5 so I'm a bit rusty on how it works. Just want to make sure I'm not committing myself to playing the game every night for the next six months or anything like that.

If the Spurs are still available and none of your regulars want them I'll take them, if not I'll take the Grizzlies.

Well it depends on how many games we play. I think we played 18 games last season and it took about 2 months. Let me know if you still wanna play.

pheeniks said:

There will be changes to sliders. Certain things are WAY to easy and need to be turned down. Thing is...I can't TEST any of this in actual games against any of you because 2K's service is so fucked right now.

As far as fatigue, it's worked as it should for me in online games. Maybe it's different when you play offline, but online I've had to constantly monitor my guys as they do get tired often.

viakado said:
this is probably the worst online experience ever for me. 2k dropped the ball hard on this one.

I'm hoping this crap gets ironed out this weekend. I and going by reactions here and on 2ksports forums are extremely dissapointed in how they've handled 2k9.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
viakado said:
Ah, I see. Yeah, it took a friend of mine and I about 10 minutes of constant "create match" attempts before we could ge a game going.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Smokey said:
I'm hoping this crap gets ironed out this weekend. I and going by reactions here and on 2ksports forums are extremely dissapointed in how they've handled 2k9.

All I can get to work is ranked 5v5 individual player ball. (Where everyone gets a position.) Even though thats all I can play its fun as hell :D We can't seem to get the user created 5v5 to work but when it randomly connects players it works great. I've played 5 games and 1 moved like a slide show, the other 4 were great. I had 2 full 10 players in, games and they ran smooth. So I'm guessing its hit or miss. I just wish it allowed you to pick which position you are when 10 players don't connect. Getting screwed and the PG being the computer or the center and PG being the center puts your team at a serious disadvantage in my slim experiences.

Well, the online fatigue works fine. It's my offline that is a problem...

I play 12 minute quarters...and I never need to sub out. Maybe 2k thought nobody would play quarters that long...and I don't know what the difference between 50 and 40 is on slider settings for fatigue.

Knox

Smokey said:
Well it depends on how many games we play. I think we played 18 games last season and it took about 2 months. Let me know if you still wanna play.
Sounds good, count me in.

(I have the game)

Smokey

Knox said:
Sounds good, count me in.

(I have the game)

You're in.

Send a FR to NBA2K9 GAF Leag

Also, I've noticed that I get the "network error" message whenever I try and play a ranked match, and I'm not the host.

daw840

I have yet to be able to actually play a game online. I have tried numerous times to start a quick ranked match and it never actually goes through. What. The. Fuck.

DCX

DCX
daw840 said:
I have yet to be able to actually play a game online. I have tried numerous times to start a quick ranked match and it never actually goes through. What. The. Fuck.
Same here. I tried like 5-6 times today. This is crazy...

DCX

Top Bottom