• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NeoGAF US Mid-term Elections 2006 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

threeball

Banned
ferrarimanf355 said:
Speaker Pelosi has some pokeymans to show you. :D
newt1.jpg

have fun with that communist speaker.

Montana and Missouri are both clearly trending towards Democratic pickups. And just looking at the vote count in Virgina, Webb has won. That's control of the Senate!

thefit

Diablos said:
Hmm, the only thing is... if Dems have a majority in the House AND Senate, this makes the Presidential election perhaps easier for Republicans in two years. Would the whole country want a Democratic White House, House of Representatives, and Senate? I don't know.

Thats exactly what I though America voted for checks and balances and thats just what the GOP is gonna spin right back at them in '08.

Zilch

Banned
Is threeball officially a joke character now?

Big bad jock-type who lurves his country? Do those kinds of people know how to use the internet?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Incognito said:
Montana and Missouri are both clearly trending towards Democratic pickups. And just looking at the vote count in Virgina, Webb has won. That's control of the Senate!

Its looking VERY VERY VERY good for the dems. Missouri and Montanta look pretty Democratic right now.. they've got the lead currently, and the democratic precincts are the ones that are still outstanding. Hard to pick up votes outside of your base.

Virginia is currently Webb.. almost all the votes are in, and the ones outstanding are heavy democratic.. 30K in a SUPER blue area.

Howard Dean deserves some mad mad mad props. Did a great job.. now just get Obama now Hilarry to run for preisdent. He's much more electable.

threeball

Banned
Zilch said:
Is threeball officially a joke character now?

Big bad jock-type who lurves his country? Do those kinds of people know how to use the internet?

people think i am a joke because i am supporting the republican party, something not common at all in this thread

WedgeX

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
Lately, I have been increasingly concerned about what will happen to the United States if the Democrats are reelected in 2006. Since it's always better to be proactive, rather than reactive, I thought I would ask for advice on moving to Canada.

I am worried about our future....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9828&highlight=Moving+canada

:lol :lol :lol :lol

:lol

Well if the democrats all plan to move up north if things hit the fan...shouldn't republicans be off to mexico?

Link

The Autumn Wind
threeball said:
people think i am a joke because i am supporting the republican party, something not common at all in this thread
Trust me, that isn't why people think you're a joke. Though the fact that you think it is is certainly part of it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
YakiSOBA said:
Someone explain to me what the House does and what the Senate does?
Outside of having to agree on all legislation to be sent for signing/veto, the House is the origin of all revenue bills, and Senate confirms/rejects all treaties and presidential appointments.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hitokage said:
Outside of having to agree on all legislation to be sent for signing/veto, the house is the origin of all revenue bills, and Senate confirms/rejects all treaties and presidential appointments.

In short, Congress literally makes the laws.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
YakiSOBA said:

Very very simply, they write laws (bills) and vote on them. Generally, they have to pass with a majority in both houses, and then the President generally will sign or veto those written laws. Both houses (the House and the Senate) can override a veto with 2/3rds.

The Supreme Court can review such laws if a case is brought before them regarding such, and either reject said law as constitutional (legal) or unconstitutional (illegal).

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
YakiSOBA said:

they write and vote on bills. The president vetoes the bills that are passed by both the house and senate. A bill has to get through BOTH before going to the president to be signed into law.

The president cant officially write bills or suggest they be passed, but in reality the president can strike down any law and has alot of power to get people re-elected... so the presidents backing or support of a bill is needed before it gets passed.. so bills may be compromised in order to ensure the president will pass them or members of Congress (congress is what the collective house and senate are called together) might vote to pass something they dont like that the president wants in order to get the president to sign another bill the president may not like..

Essentially the president has a TON of influence on things in Congress.. if the presidents party is in power he can push alot more through.. if the other party is in power, its alot harder to get shit done.

The Senate is more prestigious because there are only 50 Senators (two from each state) whereas there are a shitton of representatives in the house.

Awesome ronito :D

That's my desktop when my (Republican) parents come over for dinner tomorrow!

Hell I might even print it out and put it on the dinner table.

Yamauchi

Banned
Democratic McCaskill
822,886 49%

Republican Talent
(Incumbent)
809,608 48%

Libertarian Gilmour
40,228 2%

Progressive Lewis
15,099 1%

81% precincts reporting

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Shard said:
In short, Congress literally makes the laws.*
*Until recent years when some allowed lobbyists and corporations to literally write some laws.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh, and congress also has the power of oversight, which makes sure the executive branch is actually following the laws set forth from the legislative branch. That is what makes this election huge despite the large possibility of Bush finally mustering the balls to pick up the veto pen.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
StoOgE said:
they write and vote on bills. The president vetoes the bills that are passed by both the house and senate. A bill has to get through BOTH before going to the president to be signed into law.

The president cant officially write bills or suggest they be passed, but in reality the president can strike down any law and has alot of power to get people re-elected.

The Senate is more prestigious because there are only 50 Senators (two from each state) whereas there are a shitton of representatives in the house.

100 Senators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom