• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manics

Banned
Malakhov said:
Higgins was one of the top goal scorers in the NHL last season post olympics and Markov, wow, calling Markov an average to mediocre player just confirms me how you are totally ****ing clueless... goddamn...

If you're gonna tout Higgins as a great pick/prospect that is flourishing for the Habs then surely Ponikarovsky is the same for the Leafs since he basically had the same season as Higgins no? You're touting the Hab system as drafting all these potential stars and I'm showing you that the Leafs have the same type of guys in their lineup as the cast of average players you listed.

Plekanec? Steen
Perezhogin? Wellwood
Komisarek? Colaiacovo
Markov? Kaberle

Manics

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
Well how about that? If you lose the bet, you post your pic.

Or are you chicken?

I don't make bets on something that I would have no intention of ever following through on. Even though I'm confident I'll win the bet, I don't like putting up something that I can't "pay" up on in case of unforseen disaster and I lose the bet.

pops619

Looks like the Penguins signed Mark Recchi and Ronald Petrovicky. Both are listed as Pens on the NHLPA.com site, while only Petrovicky is listed as a Pen on NHL.com. Those sites have been accurate this summer in terms of breaking signings early, so I'd imagine this is legit.

Assuming Malkin comes over (and he almost certainly will), the Pens are going to be a completely different team this year. Much tougher, much better skaters, and better defensively. Malkin alone adds more offensive depth. They're going to shoot up the standings behind Sid Crosby's 50 goals.

Alucard

Banned
pops619 said:
Looks like the Penguins signed Mark Recchi and Ronald Petrovicky. Both are listed as Pens on the NHLPA.com site, while only Petrovicky is listed as a Pen on NHL.com. Those sites have been accurate this summer in terms of breaking signings early, so I'd imagine this is legit.

Assuming Malkin comes over (and he almost certainly will), the Pens are going to be a completely different team this year. Much tougher, much better skaters, and better defensively. Malkin alone adds more offensive depth. They're going to shoot up the standings behind Sid Crosby's 50 goals.

Sid needs better wingers for that. :p We'll see how the season goes though. Not sure how I feel about all this revamping going on in the organization. It'll either be really good, or fall flat like last year when we changed the whole make-up of the team.

pops619

I think his wingers will be fine. Think about this. He scored 39 goals last year. Think about how many more he could have had if he was the #1 center and top power play guy for the first 30 games or so? When the season started, he took a back seat to the veterans. He was even playing wing for a while. He was seeing only a small amount of time on the power play at the beginning of the year. No surprise, the power play sucked until he took over. From that point on, it was one of the top units in the league. I think he can get 50 easy, even with Armstrong and Ekman.

This year's additions will work because Shero didn't just throw a bunch of guys together hoping they'd work out. He brought in guys that fill direct needs and guys who work well in the new NHL. I mean, we signed John LeClair last year. Even at the time, the signing didn't seem to make much sense given the team's composition. Every move made this year has made a lot of sense to me. Every guy we've gotten pretty much is a good skater with defensive awareness. The Pens couldn't have been less ready for the "new NHL" last year. They're very much constructed to be successful in today's game now.

Kingpen

I can't say I am overly thrilled with them bringing Recchi back other then the fact that his stats as a winger look good on paper. The guy was horrible in the Plus/Minus department last year and had tons of giveaways all the time. He put up good points, but he also was known to be a direct link to turmoil in the locker room around Sid and the other younger players. Maybe winning a cup with Carolina will change his attitude, I sure hope so.

Looks like they signed Petrovicky to play on the 3rd or 4th line, which either cost Ryan Stone (their first round pick 5 years ago) his spot, or John Leclair his on the third line next to Ruutu and Moore.

Pivko, Crosby, Armstrong
Ekman, Malkin, Recchi
Ruutu, Moore, Malone
Roy, Talbot, Petrovicky

John Leclair???? Where does he fit in?

Obviously Shero thinks highly of Pivko, or he wouldn't have traded for him. He said NHL or Europe, so he knows he won;'t be in the minors. This kid has something Shero likes, and I expect him to get quality icetime until he proves otherwise.

With the speed and defense of this team changing with our signings this summer, I can see them shopping John Leclair for a pick before the season starts. He is too slow for this game

Reilly

Recchi going back to pittsburgh was a horrible move. What? Is he going to want to be traded AGAIN at the deadline to a contending team?

Also, let's all admire Eklund for his great journalism work.

Eklund said:
Recchi talk has been very hard to come by this off-season with only one thing for certain. He’s not going back to Pittsburgh

:lol

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Fight For Freeform said:
Well how about that? If you lose the bet, you post your pic.

Or are you chicken?

What in the hell makes you think I'd want pictures of manics....as a reward (wtf?) for winning this bet?

You get stranger and stranger by the post FFF.

TSN said:
The Montreal Canadiens have signed general manager Bob Gainey to a contract extension through the 2009-2010 season.

Best news of the offseason for the Habs, period. He's easily my favorite Hab GM of all time, witch ofcourse isn't very hard to accomplish given the gm's that I've had to endure over the years.

gainey_71968.jpg

Wow, look at that, an actual smile....sort of...

Kingpen

Reilly said:
Johnny will be taking Malone's spot.

I don't think they are going to swap an aging, slow Leclair, for a young, slow, and sometimes unmotivated Malone. I think Malone keeps his spot on the team because it is his time to prove himself and because he is young.

Unless Pivko turns into a bust and Malone is playing on the top line with Sid...

calder

Oh man I can not wait for the fantasy drafts to start again. This year will be almost as fun and unpredictable as last year was.

A month and a bit ago Yahoo had their experts mock draft, here's their top 15 picks along with one of the Yahoo writer's opinions - keep in mind they did this draft while the playoffs were still on and before any offseason trades or signings.

1. Sidney Crosby, Pit, C -- No. 1 overall? In a non-keeper league?
2. Alexander Ovechkin, Was, LW -- Unbelievable upside at age 21.
3. Jaromir Jagr, NYR, RW -- Shoulder injury doesn't bother owners.
4. Dany Heatley, Ott, LW -- Value has skyrocketed in Ottawa.
5. Miikka Kiprusoff, Cal, G -- As expected, first goalie taken.
6. Joe Thornton, SJ, C -- Surprise drop. Probably due to position.
8. Jason Spezza, Ott, C -- 90 points despite missing 13 games.
7. Ilya Kovalchuk, Atl, LW -- Still waiting for first 100-pt. season. Is this it?
9. Eric Staal, Car, C -- Quiet Stanley Cup finals won't hurt value.
10. Brenden Morrow , Dal, LW -- 150-PIM, 60-pt. guy, but top 10?!? Wow.
11. Jonathan Cheechoo, SJ, RW -- What's his ceiling in full season w/Joe?
12. Henrik Zetterberg, Det, LW -- Looks like next great Red Wings forward.
13. Marian Gaborik, Min, RW -- Easy to forget he's only 24.
14. Daniel Alfredsson, Ott, RW -- Hard to justify slide out of first round.
15. Marian Hossa, Atl, RW -- Career-best PIM, PPP totals in 2005-06.

Sid at #1 is, as the guy says, hard to fathom in a non-keeper league, not a giant mistake but I think at least 4 guys will out value Sidney next year in the average Yahoo stat setup. But Morrow making the top 10 is just ****ing nuts, that's dem-drafting-Mario-first-overall level crazy. ;) But reading their list makes me think that most of the active GAF Yahoo leaguers would probably do pretty well in this "experts" league.

As for me, my #1 would probably be Ovechkin simply because he's a LW compared to Thornton (who I think will win the Art Ross, but it's a tough call). I'd probably go...
Ovechkin
Thornton
Heatley
Jagr or Crosby, maybe Kipper but I hate taking goalies in the first round

Reilly

Kingpen said:
I don't think they are going to swap an aging, slow Leclair, for a young, slow, and sometimes unmotivated Malone. I think Malone keeps his spot on the team because it is his time to prove himself and because he is young.

Unless Pivko turns into a bust and Malone is playing on the top line with Sid...

No, try, Malone won't be playing for the Pens this year.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Manics said:
Alright, banned for the duration of the NHL playoffs?
Yeah, that's well within reason. Long enough to hurt, but a guaranteed return to much mockery from the rest of us.

And how on God's green earth does Avery get another shot with the Kings after last year's nonsense? Enough moronic pre- and post-game quotes from Sean and Crow is going to cut out his tongue with a skate blade before Christmas. This I guarantee!
"This isn't like he's getting a clean slate with a new general manager and a new coach," Kings' first-year general manager Dean Lombardi told the Times. "He's still on double-secret probation.
...an Animal House quote. Perfect. *rolleyes*

Wolf

GO HABS GO
calder said:
A month and a bit ago Yahoo had their experts mock draft, here's their top 15 picks along with one of the Yahoo writer's opinions - keep in mind they did this draft while the playoffs were still on and before any offseason trades or signings.

1. Sidney Crosby, Pit, C -- No. 1 overall? In a non-keeper league?
2. Alexander Ovechkin, Was, LW -- Unbelievable upside at age 21.
3. Jaromir Jagr, NYR, RW -- Shoulder injury doesn't bother owners.
4. Dany Heatley, Ott, LW -- Value has skyrocketed in Ottawa.
5. Miikka Kiprusoff, Cal, G -- As expected, first goalie taken.
6. Joe Thornton, SJ, C -- Surprise drop. Probably due to position.
8. Jason Spezza, Ott, C -- 90 points despite missing 13 games.
7. Ilya Kovalchuk, Atl, LW -- Still waiting for first 100-pt. season. Is this it?
9. Eric Staal, Car, C -- Quiet Stanley Cup finals won't hurt value.
10. Brenden Morrow , Dal, LW -- 150-PIM, 60-pt. guy, but top 10?!? Wow.
11. Jonathan Cheechoo, SJ, RW -- What's his ceiling in full season w/Joe?
12. Henrik Zetterberg, Det, LW -- Looks like next great Red Wings forward.
13. Marian Gaborik, Min, RW -- Easy to forget he's only 24.
14. Daniel Alfredsson, Ott, RW -- Hard to justify slide out of first round.
15. Marian Hossa, Atl, RW -- Career-best PIM, PPP totals in 2005-06.

I'd go with Ovechkin as the first in a heartbeat, for the crazy amount of points he will put up. Then I'd look toward Staal/Cheechoo for goals, then I'd grave Kipper, and actually keep him this time. There are too many goalie stats to not have atleast 1 elite goalie. Your second goalie can be played off free agency all year long as hot streaks come and go.

oh, btw calder, I plan on winning it this year, so don't plan on any rookie mistakes from me to propel you to the top. ;)

Manics

Banned
Wolf said:
I'd go with Ovechkin as the first in a heartbeat, for the crazy amount of points he will put up. Then I'd look toward Staal/Cheechoo for goals, then I'd grave Kipper, and actually keep him this time. There are too many goalie stats to not have atleast 1 elite goalie. Your second goalie can be played off free agency all year long as hot streaks come and go.

oh, btw calder, I plan on winning it this year, so don't plan on any rookie mistakes from me to propel you to the top. ;)

You mean Huet wouldn't be your #1?

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Mike Works said:
Why take Huet when you could choose Andrew "Raybound Year" Raycroft?!

_774453_lecture300.jpg

"That's correct Mike. "The Leafs have 3 ahl backup goalies competing for the starting job, why are you even talking?" or a standard but effective "leafs suck" chant would also have been acceptable responses."

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Kingpen said:
Obviously Shero thinks highly of Pivko, or he wouldn't have traded for him. He said NHL or Europe, so he knows he won;'t be in the minors. This kid has something Shero likes, and I expect him to get quality icetime until he proves otherwise.
Shero has always been a pretty big Pivko fan. The fact that we gave up Pivko and Hall for just a 3rd rounder kinda irks me, but I guess we had to make room. Pivko could go either way really, personally I feel like he's a guy that could be around while the team is building but then easily become an odd man out.

Manics said:
Damn Nuck fans and their Luongo. :( I wish we had Luongo.
You guys have had Ed Belfour, Johnny Bower, Gerry Cheevers, King Clancy, Grant Fuhr, Curtis Joseph, Bernie Parent, Jacques Plante, and Terry Sawchuk.

We've had Kirk McLean.

That's it.

It's our god damn time!

Mike Works said:
You guys have had Ed Belfour, Johnny Bower, Gerry Cheevers, King Clancy, Grant Fuhr, Curtis Joseph, Bernie Parent, Jacques Plante, and Terry Sawchuk.

We've had Kirk McLean.

That's it.

It's our god damn time!

dont forget potvin!

Mike Works said:
That depends on your definition of "played".

What is Potvin doing these days anyway?

"Felix Potvin is currently a free agent without an NHL team. However, according The Score in Canada, he has reportedly kept in good shape, and is ready to return to the NHL if an interest is shown.
"

:(

Kingpen

sefskillz said:
Shero has always been a pretty big Pivko fan. The fact that we gave up Pivko and Hall for just a 3rd rounder kinda irks me, but I guess we had to make room. Pivko could go either way really, personally I feel like he's a guy that could be around while the team is building but then easily become an odd man out.

Do you see Pivko as a guy that has the potential to be a top 6 forward who can cash in on the passes of a couple of talented playmakers like Crosby and Malkin? I hope he turns into a player like the czech player that played with Jagr last year and made a name for himself after being a virtually unknown.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Dammit. Bulis isn't a consistent player by any stretch, but he has the legs to blow by any defenceman that is caught off guard, and he's got a bullet shot to boot. He scored the first Montreal goal I've ever seen in a live hockey game in that exibition game I went to last September when he blew it by Raccine.

You've got a soild 3rd liner Vancouver, congrats.

Kabuki said:
"Felix Potvin is currently a free agent without an NHL team. However, according The Score in Canada, he has reportedly kept in good shape, and is ready to return to the NHL if an interest is shown.

Atleast Ferguson has another option once Raycroft busts...

potvin-primeau2.jpg

You know you want him back. Hell, I'd want him back just to see the mask again.

Barrage

Morrow in the Top 10 of Fantasy Players? That's insane.

....Top 5, minimum.

EDIT: Read through the Wiki thing Mike posted. Some good and some bad.

GOOD:
-Jussi Jokinen's picture with "NHL MVP" under it. WEAPON J, BIATCH.
-Modano lifting the Stanley. I could watch that celebration a million times.

BAD:
Under the Marty Turco file-"Postseason: See Choke." WTF?

sefskillz

Kingpen said:
Do you see Pivko as a guy that has the potential to be a top 6 forward who can cash in on the passes of a couple of talented playmakers like Crosby and Malkin? I hope he turns into a player like the czech player that played with Jagr last year and made a name for himself after being a virtually unknown.
I'm not sure... part of me says yes from what little I've seen him play, but just looking at his stats, (70 pts in 69 games, 12g/58asts) it seems like he's going to be more of a second or third line playmaker for you guys... if he works out.

also, great news for the preds today; vokoun was cleared to play today after undergoing his first post-treatment test.

I wouldnt mind having Potvin back just for nostalgia factor alone, its not like we would be that much better off with the fools we have in net now.

dem

Rumour is Hemsky is going to sign a 5 or 6 year deal with the Oilers. Crazy contract length.. but im all over that :D

sefskillz

Predzone has learned that there is a possible deal in the works that would send New Jersey Devils center Scott Gomez to the Nashville Predators in return for Predators 2nd line winger Scott Hartnell and the 3rd round selection that Nashville received from the New York Rangers in the 3-way deal involving Adam Hall.

Obviously the details of this deal have not been revealed, and until we hear more, this can not be considered anything more than a rumor, but one of our inside sources tells us that David Poile has been on the phone with Gomez's agent and an agreement is imminent.
Just don't see Gomez going anywhere, especially for Hartnell and a 3rd rounder. Interesting rumor none the less.

Sandman42

sefskillz said:
Just don't see Gomez going anywhere, especially for Hartnell and a 3rd rounder. Interesting rumor none the less.
Oh, Gomez is almost as good as gone. There is no way New Jersey can fit a 5-6 million dollar Gomez under the cap.

sefskillz

Sandman42 said:
Oh, Gomez is almost as good as gone. There is no way New Jersey can fit a 5-6 million dollar Gomez under the cap.
If gomez is going to pull down 5-6 i really have no stock in this rumor, Poile shelling out that kinda cash would be a sign of the apocalypse.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
That would be a serious step out of character for David Poile. He's always seemed like a pretty level-headed exec, and putting that kind of dosh out for Gomez doesn't make any sense at all. Lou Lamoriello is preparing to fleece Nashville, run for your lives!
Barrage said:
BAD:
Under the Marty Turco file-"Postseason: See Choke." WTF?
Perhaps you weren't paying attention. :p

According to who we have signed right now

Naslund - Morrison - [No one]
Sedin - Sedin - [No one]
Bulis - Chouinard - Cooke
Pyatt - [No one] - [No one]

Ohlund - Mitchell
Salo - [No one]
[No one] - [No one]

Luongo
[No one]

6.55 million till our self imposed cap of 42 million, 8 players to sign, no first line right winger. Yet.

TemplaerDude said:
According to who we have signed right now

Naslund - Morrison - [No one]
Sedin - Sedin - [No one]
Bulis - Chouinard - Cooke
Pyatt - [No one] - [No one]

Ohlund - Mitchell
Salo - [No one]
[No one] - [No one]

Luongo
[No one]

6.55 million till our self imposed cap of 42 million, 8 players to sign, no first line right winger. Yet.
Although I am fully aware that you only added players under contract (even though you forgot some people), here's what our roster looks like right now (including eventual signings)-

Naslund - Morrison - Cooke
Sedin - Sedin - Bulis
Pyatt - Chouinard - Kesler
Burrows - Santala - Linden

Ohlund - Kraijeck
Salo - Mitchell
Bourdon - Bieksa

Luongo
Norenen

Granted I think there's a chance we're going to trade Cooke (and possibly a pick) in order to get better help on the right wing, but that's how it looks right now.

Wolf said:
Mike, that link you provided...at lot of stuff I can't access, says I have to pay $10.

Is it worth it?
The $10 gets you an account at Something Awful's forums, which I think are easily worth the $10. They've got an entire forum dedicated just to sports, it's awesome.

Once you've got a forum account, then you contact one of the mods of the sports forum asking if they can get you registered at the (sportsargumentwiki) site. Once they set up your account there, you're able to edit and add new pages to the site.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Hell, I can live with that. Better than Edmonton - as numerous free agents and regular citizens alike can fully agree.

sinkingshipwa0.jpg

dem said:
Wow... i knew it was bad... but... wow :lol
I'll say this right now without hesitation: Vancouver has a better team than Edmonton. Granted I don't think Matt Cooke is going to be our first line RW, as I already said I expect him (or someone else) to get delt in order to fill that void. I was just posting our lineup as of today (including sure-thing signings like Linden).

Why don't you post Edmonton's current roster and we'll see how your team is looking without Pronger, Peca, and Samsonov :lol

rs7k said:
Ya... Have fun with Bulis on the second line :lol :lol
Bulis may or may not be on the second line... it's rumored he came to Vancouver for less money than other teams offered (sound familiar?) in order to get a better chance of showing his offensive side (as Gainey and co put him in more of a two way defensive role in Montreal), so that's me speculating where he fits in as of right now. When the preseason starts, he could very well be on our third line, which could be one of the best in the conference.

dem

Mike Works said:
I'll say this right now without hesitation: Vancouver has a better team than Edmonton. Granted I don't think Matt Cooke is going to be our first line RW, as I already said I expect him (or someone else) to get delt in order to fill that void. I was just posting our lineup as of today (including sure-thing signings like Linden).

Why don't you post Edmonton's current roster and we'll see how your team is looking without Pronger, Peca, and Samsonov :lol

Yeah ok.. I can't wait to check out the new west coast express

050127train_derail_422.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom