• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

Lefty42o

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"first impression 720p only :-( was hopping for 1080p support."

Why? It's been known as 720p/30fps for...awhile now.

aint been following those details. never do. probably cause i do most my gaming on my 360 and this is not a issue. not a biggie .

DeadGzuz

Banned
Lefty42o said:
first impression 720p only :-( was hopping for 1080p support.

opening campaign cutscene fast and sexy as hell

You want 1080P scaling or real 1080P? This generation is lucky to reah 720P, look at all the sub-720P out there. I think every UT based game out is 720P no AA.

Lefty42o

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
You want 1080P scaling or real 1080P? This generation is lucky to reah 720P, look at all the sub-720P out there. I think every UT based game out is 720P no AA.

don;t matter to me i just want it to be the native res as my tv :D

madmook said:
Any splitscreen support?

don;t thinkso but i am only in the campaign right now. see no mention of it in the book either

Synless

madmook said:
Any splitscreen support?
No, but there is online co-op. The single player mode is like playing bots on a multiplayer game but with a story inbetween, the computer guys have said this but just letting anyone know who didn't

BeeDog

Synless said:
So who's going to make the first kick ass mod and map for the ps3??????

Don't expect too many mods for UE3-games really... it's too hard to make assets that rival the standard ones shipped with the game. Modding is almost not worth it anymore. Most people just use that opportunity to get acknowledged and hired by bigger studios these days.

oneHeero

Synless said:
Yes, you have your Quick Game, Host Game, or Join Game. Join Game has Internet or Lan options, all your game modes. It also has a Pure server option you can toggle on and off. You can select which server you want to choose from (arean't that many right now). The mics work good from what I can tell and the Friends list is in the game but not XMB, you can accept friends from within the game as well as add people. You can send messages but I'm assuming you can only check them outside of a match. Oh and the graphics are beautiful and I have not seen a single drop in fps no matter what's going on.
GOD DAMN THANK YOU. INGAME MESSAGES IS OWN! Another question, can try TDM and see if you can get a party going. I want to know if a party can go from game to game or sit in a lobby together and pick games like on RFOM.

So it has a additional ingame friends list? Or is it your PSN friendlist? I hope its more like RFOM.

Synless

BeeDog said:
Don't expect too many mods for UE3-games really... it's too hard to make assets that rival the standard ones shipped with the game. Modding is almost not worth it anymore. Most people just use that opportunity to get acknowledged and hired by bigger studios these days.
To be honest the game doesn't have to look gorgeous for the mod as long as someone makes something cool, I wouldn't care if someone made some ps1 looking mods using the engine.

Synless

oneHeero said:
GOD DAMN THANK YOU. INGAME MESSAGES IS OWN! Another question, can try TDM and see if you can get a party going. I want to know if a party can go from game to game or sit in a lobby together and pick games like on RFOM.

So it has a additional ingame friends list? Or is it your PSN friendlist? I hope its more like RFOM.
I think you mis-understood me, In the game's menu you can send messages not XMB style, the friends list reminds me of CoD4.

Lefty42o

Banned
game speed is on par with the pc version, i played it set to 30 fps when i played the demo on my pc. sixaxis is very responsive and tweaked the sensitivity so i can move around pretty fast and swing around quick.

so far really smooth sexy game.

once again i am only in the campaign. will fire up multi once i get the hang of the controls

Synless

mr stroke said:
thank god:D
How are the servers so far?? tons of people playing already?
The servers are great, I only had one problem so far with one map that had some lag but it wasn't a dedicated one, well at least I don't think it was. The maps have all been full so far but looking at the servers list for people hosting I would say not that many people have it right now.

Synless

Hey Techno, how do you earn more stuff to customize your character with? Shit, I won't be able to play this game again until christmas my girlfriends taking it from me!!!!!!!!!

BeeDog said:

It doesn't have to do though. There's no point in trying to compete with a dedicated studio when it comes to textures and intricate detail, but on a basic level there is nothing that's stopping people from developing maps and mods that focus on core values such as basic map design.

BeeDog

AltogetherAndrews said:
It doesn't have to do though. There's no point in trying to compete with a dedicated studio when it comes to textures and intricate detail, but on a basic level there is nothing that's stopping people from developing maps and mods that focus on core values such as basic map design.

But then what is going to attract gamers to the mods? You have to admit that a big part of the selling point nowadays is how your mod looks. If you have a fuck-awesome concept for the gameplay, but stick figures to show it off, not many will play it.

I'm over-exaggerating obviously, but you can't deny the facts. :p

BeeDog said:
But then what is going to attract gamers to the mods? You have to admit that a big part of the selling point nowadays is how your mod looks. If you have a fuck-awesome concept for the gameplay, but stick figures to show it off, not many will play it.

I'm over-exaggerating obviously, but you can't deny the facts. :p

It can look good without incredible detail though. Now, the chance of map designers and modders actually grasping this truth is rather slim, but it's perfectly possible to create a compelling map using very basic shapes and colors. I really need to pick up the PC version so that I can demonstrate this properly.

BeeDog

What I have gathered is that the UE3-games that are moddable are a pain in the ass to create stuff for, since a big part of the UE3 look is its over-use of bumpmapping and hi-res textures. I really wonder how that engine actually copes with lower-res and more plain textures (not too well I'd imagine). So can't really see how "basic shapes and geometry" can produce good-looking results in UT3, for example.

Uh, all the textures, static meshes, actors, blah blah, that are used in UT3 can be opened and used in UnrealEd for map creation. A lot of great mods (Jailbreak, TAM, etc.) are only new gameplay sets. As far as TCs (total conversions) go, the mod groups getting picked up devs put in some pretty damned hard work to get their game anywhere near that professional look. Which is why they get hired. And if you think mod groups these days can't put out fantastic visuals, look at Dystopia for Half-life 2.

If/When Epic starts their Make Something Unreal contest, I think you'll be eating some crow.

oneHeero

Synless said:
Hey Techno, how do you earn more stuff to customize your character with? Shit, I won't be able to play this game again until christmas my girlfriends taking it from me!!!!!!!!!
Burn!!! I talked my girl into letting me get it for xmas and playing it now and wrap the case so I can pretend to open it on xmas :)

Also, on the party system, can you go from game to game together? Or do you have to keep reinviting them? Mute options?

jacket320

Crow!

Hopefully picking this one up later this week. Please keep posting impressions and pics of the interface, etc if you can. Thanks to those that have so far! Still bummed about the lack of split screen but meh, I'll get over it.

BeeDog

Teknopathetic said:
Uh, all the textures, static meshes, actors, blah blah, that are used in UT3 can be opened and used in UnrealEd for map creation. A lot of great mods (Jailbreak, TAM, etc.) are only new gameplay sets. As far as TCs (total conversions) go, the mod groups getting picked up devs put in some pretty damned hard work to get their game anywhere near that professional look. Which is why they get hired. And if you think mod groups these days can't put out fantastic visuals, look at Dystopia for Half-life 2.

If/When Epic starts their Make Something Unreal contest, I think you'll be eating some crow.

I won't eat any raw and live animal, since I just made a prediction. :D Dystopia is a good looking mod, but that's still only on the old-ass HL2 engine.

Lefty42o

Banned
cameltoe said:
There is an option for KB/M right? Anyone wanna give that whirl and check back?
yes. only works in game need controler to navigate menus. not a kb/m gamer so can't give you any other feedback

Norml

1080p is said to work if you turn off 720 and 1080i.

found this at PS forums.
7yqud77.jpg

Synless

oneHeero said:
Burn!!! I talked my girl into letting me get it for xmas and playing it now and wrap the case so I can pretend to open it on xmas :)

Also, on the party system, can you go from game to game together? Or do you have to keep reinviting them? Mute options?
Didn't try out the party system nor did I see mute options, but I don't have my game to reference from now because it's been taken so I only got like 2 hours in on it.

BeeDog

One thing I'm wondering though, will you only be able to play full-fledged mods on the PS3 version, or will you also be able to download custom maps on the PC and transfer them to your PS3?

h3ro

BeeDog said:
One thing I'm wondering though, will you only be able to play full-fledged mods on the PS3 version, or will you also be able to download custom maps on the PC and transfer them to your PS3?

Yes on all counts.... all you have to do with any PC mod is hit "port to PS3" which creates a file that you just have to transfer to the console...

theBishop

Banned
BeeDog said:

supposedly all of the above.

Lefty42o

Banned
cameltoe said:
cant you just use the KB/M you are using with your computer to test it out? I want to know before I go buy it.

Thanks

one more time it supports kb/m. it even has a section in the book that explains it works for ingame use but you need to use a controller to navigate menus.

one other thing. man the hover board is mad fun.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Costanza said:
Um, I just played 6 matches on ps3 version and not a single person was using voice chat :(
I won't be (but I wouldn't use it on PC either). I only use voice on 360 and only because it included a mic.

Dibbz

Is there a party system ala Resistance and CoD4?
How are servers set up? A list that we can scroll through? I thought CoD might have been like that but I was wrong :(
In game messaging like Resistance?
Can you password portect your rooms?

Aeon712

TONX said:
Aeon, im picking it up now. Message me on PSN when you get it and lets duke it out!

Edit:

I'm really excited to get mods on this, so heres a couple of questions for the PC folks.

Are there significant mods up yet? and how do you download them/transfer them to PS3? I don't have it on PC, but my friend does and i'm probably going to his house today to check it out.
Best Buy was so crowded today that my manager had me stay a couple hrs to help out, just getting home now and ready to open it. Looking for you :D.

theBishop

Banned
Costanza said:
Um, I just played 6 matches on ps3 version and not a single person was using voice chat :(

Its so funny to see how voice is going to work in PS3 games. Every time I play CoD4, I'm surprised to find 75% or more using headsets. But pop into WarHawk (which supports twice as many players) and games are often silent. Motorstorm is generally talkative, but Resistance generally isn't.

Whether I use a headset really depends on whether I feel a need to coordinate or trashtalk, or if i'm playing with friends I'll always use it.

cameltoe

Lefty42o said:
one more time it supports kb/m. it even has a section in the book that explains it works for ingame use but you need to use a controller to navigate menus.

one other thing. man the hover board is mad fun.

I heard ya the first time man....I get that it does support them, I wanna hear about the feel and sensitivity of the mouse movements. Is it jerky like using a fragFX? Shit like that...

Thanks again.

Costanza said:

yea this is the problem with most PSN games. Except Wowhawk(for the most part)

Sony should really have included a headset with the system.

oneHeero

theBishop said:
Its so funny to see how voice is going to work in PS3 games. Every time I play CoD4, I'm surprised to find 75% or more using headsets. But pop into WarHawk (which supports twice as many players) and games are often silent. Motorstorm is generally talkative, but Resistance generally isn't.

Whether I use a headset really depends on whether I feel a need to coordinate or trashtalk, or if i'm playing with friends I'll always use it.
Do you play with friends online? Everyone on my PSN has mic support. Do you play online in parties with randoms or friends? I always play with friends and never have any problems. RFOM always playd with people who had mics, never had a problem and that was my first game. R6 samething. Warhawk samething, COD samething. I've never had problems with mics at all. I think its hit and miss for people to run into mics.

oneHeero said:
Do you play with friends online? Everyone on my PSN has mic support. Do you play online in parties with randoms or friends? I always play with friends and never have any problems. RFOM always playd with people who had mics, never had a problem and that was my first game. R6 samething. Warhawk samething, COD samething. I've never had problems with mics at all. I think its hit and miss for people to run into mics.

edit: didnt read the post before.

So guys, can we make a list of who has it and is getting it this week for ps3? Cause I would definantly like some mic supported friends to play with

Top Bottom