• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

mr stroke

EktorPR said:
I don't know if my Jabra bluetooth headset sucks, or the UT III communication feature sucks, but it's pretty difficult to set up a decent conversation with someone, much less with your team on CTF. Shit.

this is starting to worry me now, sounds like everyone is having different expereinces with the voice chat so far. Do I open the game now and pray we have solid voice chat down the road or wait for 360 version??

mr stroke said:
this is starting to worry me now, sounds like everyone is having different expereinces with the voice chat so far. Do I open the game now and pray we have solid voice chat down the road or wait for 360 version??
Open the damn thing!
Really I don't think anyone is using a headset anyway.

oneHeero

Each time I connect to a dedicated server it freezes during the screen.

The nonds have the most lag I seen, the 150ping and under ones.. I couldnt wait to get this game, its so fucken fast, I see why ppl make fun of the UT engine <also >.> I thought my character(during customize) looked like shit till 8seconds later when she finish loading..

mr stroke

darkressurection said:
Really I don't think anyone is using a headset anyway.
that is what worries me, UT2k4 was such a great game when playing in a team that used voice chat... I just hope that UT3 will at least end up like Motorstorm- with certain lobbies strickly for mics, nothing like playing assualt or CTF with a great team all cooperating together

mr stroke said:
that is what worries me, UT2k4 was such a great when playing in a team that used voice chat... I just hope that UT3 will at least end up like Motorstorm- with certain lobbies strickly for mics, nothing like playing assualt or CTF with a great team all cooperating together
I already saw a few lobbies that said Mic only.
I wonder maybe these people having headset problems are really just playing in games where no one has a headset.

Madman

Just saw a Playstation 3 specific commercial. Standard PS3 commercial(starts with the PS symbol, ends with black onyx animation/price point). First thing after the PS symbol is a screen saying "from the makers of Gears of War". Then it shows fighting with a voice in the background describing a war(obviously the UT war/plot).

Glad to finally see a commercial. I got UT on the PS2 and played the shit out of it. Hopefully UT3 is just as compelling for me.

EekTheKat

Some notes :

The full install option installs about 2.2gigs of data on the hard drive. It's a lot faster on loading though + there's slightly less texture streaming issues.

Currently I'm playing at 720p + vivid on my LCD. Tried it on a forced 1080p but we

Apparently the PS3 utilizes auto crouch. so there's no actual crouch button AFAIK.

Gameplay..well..it's Unreal Tournament, so it's kind of hit or miss depending on your tastes. I didn't like it at first but later slowly adjusted back into it (though I'm still sucking badly).

mentho

is there any way to tell how many people are playing the ps3 version? it's almost impossible to find a decent game in the PC version -- plenty of servers but there's usually only a few hundred people playing across all the different game types. you end up getting stuck in some server with a really terrible ping because it's the only one with people in it.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Got the PS3 version today (had pc one since day 1). Feels okay, but I want to hookup my mouse/keyboard to see how that goes since I am use to playing UT that way :/

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Been playing for a while, so heres my initial impressions

+controls feels pretty solid
+speed is just right for a console fps
+the visuals are pretty good considering the environment
+Campaign can be played solo or with online mp help
+k/m support
+full install of game to reduce loading times

-k/m support semi gimped, only thing you can change is the mouse sensitivity
-the textures are okay not as defined as some other games
-setting up MP options seem kinda cluttered

For the most part I like the game, its pretty clean and solid. Frame rate is solid. You can tell this is the unreal engine textures loading through you messing with your character customization. This happens on the 360 games too that use the unreal engine. Overall I give it a 8.8/10

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Broadbandito said:
Posting it again so it doesnt get lost. Wonder if this can be posted in the title (what page its on) by OP or the first post

Gaf Name/ PSN Name
Lefty42o Lefty420
Broadbandito Broadbandit
Dralla DirtyWorm
dark10x dark1x
bad-joey badjoey
DenogginizerOS Denogginizer
theBishop theBishop
Nightz N1ghtz
Aeon712 Aeon712
Costanza CostanzaGAF
cameltoe cameltow
BeeDog BeeDog
Dante Jenovah
nickslicl HellsHalfHalo
Wollan Wollan
Bebpo Bebpo or Bebpojp
Firewire Spartan666
.hacked morphixPS
Shawnwhann ProfessaSkillz
Satori Sattori
Tonx Tonx
mr stroke mr stroke
jacket320 jacket320
AlxRymnd914 Alias2k9
darkressurection monkyofdoom
DoctorWho Proteus4
number1jagsfan number1jagsfan
inner-G KiLLBeAsT
NameGenerated Name_Generated
TwIsTeD dizzyd
linkzg linkzg64
g35twinturbo g35twinturbo
AltogetherAndrews PoisonMarket

Everyone post psn names so i can add

GutsOfThor.

This is my first UT game and I must say that I am enjoying it. Wish it had offline multi though.

Bebpo

Banned
Game froze when loading an online match, booo.

Some of those CTF maps seem a bit big for 8 on 8...

*edit: wow, just froze AGAIN when loading a Vehicle CTF map.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
theBishop said:
I think i'm more impressed by WarHawk's visuals...

Oddly enough, I agree with you. There's just something about Unreal that rubs me the wrong way, graphics and gameplay wise.

After a few hours with the game I can see why people like it, but it's just not for me. Ah well.

Bebpo

Banned
theBishop said:
I think i'm more impressed by WarHawk's visuals...

Nothing wrong with that. Warhawk is a really good looking game.

I nailed what my problem with Unreal's visuals are: THE FOG. There is this fog once you get past a certain distance that makes everything beyond it look dull and washed out. Then you get up close to the areas and they look good. I've notice the more enclosed maps look really good, but the ones out on the streets/canyons/etc... look washed out because of the stupid fog. I wish you could turn that off. I don't remember this being in Gears and it certainly wasn't in Mass Effect's use of UE3.0 as ME had huge draw distances with no fog on planets.

Hunter D

Bebpo said:
Nothing wrong with that. Warhawk is a really good looking game.

I nailed what my problem with Unreal's visuals are: THE FOG. There is this fog once you get past a certain distance that makes everything beyond it look dull and washed out. Then you get up close to the areas and they look good. I've notice the more enclosed maps look really good, but the ones out on the streets/canyons/etc... look washed out because of the stupid fog. I wish you could turn that off. I don't remember this being in Gears and it certainly wasn't in Mass Effect's use of UE3.0 as ME had huge draw distances with no fog on planets.
They probably did it to keep the framerate up. The game's visuals don't really impress me. The graphics are good. They just aren't as great as other UE3 games and I understand why.

Bebpo

Banned
Still the game does look very good at times. Some areas in certain levels have been gorgeous like the above elevator river in sandstorm or the rivers in the forest warfare map, or the exterior worlds of CTF vertebrae. It's really just a mixed bag with some great looking areas/maps and some not all that great looking ones. Luckily there's a ton of maps so many are good looking!

Dante

I think the graphics are nice, and it plays really smooth, It's got those annoying Unreal engine flickering shadows. Oh yeah and the rumble feels reallly good in this game. Cutscenes are just poorly written reminds me of Gears of War.

The graphics are just...I don't know if there is a word. It's too much.

The outdoor stuff looks terrific, but there's too many indoor, industrial-themed maps and they're pretty straight-up ugly, to be honest. The character model choices show the Gears of War-ification of Unreal Tournament and it's too bad. The beautiful colors of are mostly gone, as compared to UT2k4, and it's too bad.

And I miss my dodge-jump SO F'N MUCH. I felt skilled when I could go faster than other players and actually dodge stuff, zipping around maps. Not so much in UT3.

That said, as much I was initially turned-off by UT3, it is growing on me. I still think *EVERY* weapon does too much damage and I don't see myself playing Warfare until the maximum amount of players is (hopefully!!) patched to 32, but it's still UT and that's a-okay.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Oh, and is it just me or are the sound effects really, really horrible? Like downscaled to 16kps horrible. The music and gun sound are fine, but the vehicle sounds...gah!

CBal2424

Banned
Played the game for like 5 hours today and im really enjoying it, I really need to hook up a kb/m. But overall I think epic to a pretty good job on the port. But I still think Gears looks better overall than this game.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
CBal2424 said:
Played the game for like 5 hours today and im really enjoying it, I really need to hook up a kb/m. But overall I think epic to a pretty good job on the port. But I still think Gears looks better overall than this game.

I agree with that too a point, with gears everything near you was rendered really well but far away stuff looked like poop and it was dark. So its jus a matter of them showing more on UT3 IMO

CBal2424

Banned
Everyone that is using a controller, I suggest switching jump to L2, much easier to jump and Aim now. And I dont think ive ever used the default L2 button lol

Matt_C

I would get this game on the PS3 a few days after Christmas (and the PC version for Unreal Editor 3) and I wonder if Unreal Editor 3 has the same system requirements as the PC Unreal 3?

My Desktop is a Athlon XP 2600+ (running at 1.9ghz)
Geforce 6800 256 OC
ram 1.25gigs (sadly running at pc2100 speeds due to my old 256 stick)
Windows XP SP2
Over 100 gigs of ram.

I would like to try to make lower poly 3d models and see what goes from there on the PS3.

PS: Is there an Unreal Editor to Unreal Editor 3 conversion kit since I already got UT2004 Limited edition?

antiloop

AltogetherAndrews said:
Unless they somehow gimped it for the PS3 version, it's a lot better now than it has ever been.

Yep, it owns. I have never killed this many people with it in earlier games. :)

(green blob gun)

This thread makes me want to play UT3!

Jag22: It's the same on PC. Not bothering me because I am an IRC person. Used to text messaging. ;)

I was going to wait for reviews before I bought this game but I was impatient. Good thing I ended up loving it, runs much better on PS3 than the demo did on my PC. The controller actually works much better than I thought it would have. I'll probably try out a mouse+keyboard tomorrow.

PSN: CloudOne

I might make a new username more similar to this GAF name though.

Captain N

Well I'm doing about where I usually do with all FPSs aside from Halo 3...I'm breaking even. I had 28 kills my first game, but was killed 23 times. Rumble is also a welcome addition to the game that people will probably enjoy.

Went 6/9 on my first match on Sanctuary!

Funny thing, no one could figure out where the Redeemer was except me. :D :lol

The lag is almost non-existent and I was playing on a P2P server.

Gameplay is for the most part the same as every Unreal Tournament so I wouldn't expect much in the way of innovation.

It's also a really pretty game with a fair bit of meat to it in content. Definitely recommended.

I can't make the PSN username "DirtyWeasel". I guess "dirty" is a word that isn't allowed for PSN usernames. I made "DrtyWeasel" but it looks strange to me. I guess i'm sticking with CloudOne.

ty_hot

Does it has the map "Face"? I used to play it all the time when I was young :D

The Single Player is good? There is COOP mode? Online COOP? SPlit Screen versus?

ty_hot said:
Does it has the map "Face"? I used to play it all the time when I was young :D

The Single Player is good? There is COOP mode? Online COOP? SPlit Screen versus?

It doesn't have face but the mod community already has begun recreating it. The single player is junk but this is an online game so all good.

ty_hot

Neodiablo22 said:
It doesn't have face but the mod community already has begun recreating it. The single player is junk but this is an online game so all good.

And we'll be able to play online in Face? \o/ \o/ \o/

Neither COOP nor split screen versus?

Top Bottom