• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm surprised with some of the negative comments on the visuals. I think it looks great all around (much better than CoD4, which received tons of praise).

Synless

dark10x said:
I'm surprised with some of the negative comments on the visuals. I think it looks great all around (much better than CoD4, which received tons of praise).
Agreed, the space station level (with the name I can't remember) is fucking amazing to me, and I think the textures in some levels far exceed some of the other UE3 games, and yes I'm talking about Mass Effect.

BeeDog

dark10x said:

Many people seem to mix up bad graphics with mediocre art direction. UT3 ain't the most aesthetically pleasing game around, but the console version is definitely not a technical slouch.

Nightz

DIrtyWeasel said:
I can't make the PSN username "DirtyWeasel". I guess "dirty" is a word that isn't allowed for PSN usernames. I made "DrtyWeasel" but it looks strange to me. I guess i'm sticking with CloudOne.
I have a friend who has "Dirty" in his name. I think DirtyWeasel was just taken. :p

theBishop

Banned
dark10x said:

Part of the problem for me is I moved the PS3 to my computer desk to check out the KB/M stuff (and the GF was watching TV), so I had an up-close look at each pixel. I've never sat so close to Gears to do the same.

My general takeaway is the models that obviously received attention (vehicles, characters, architecture) look exquisite. The Necris vehicles animate beautifully. Unfortunately, the environments themselves are bland. The game doesn't have the consistency across the screen that made Gears so impressive.

Its also hard to compare to Gears because the way you traverse the environments is so different in both games. Gears always has that camera fixed over the shoulder and you move fairly slowly through small spaces with very deliberate animations. UT3 has you cruising on your hoverboard over long, open distances.

I really hope a Gears-esque mod does come out if only to provide a better comparison. My hunch is that the UT3 engine is actually more advanced and better optimized, but the levels don't show it off.

dralla

DIrtyWeasel said:
I can't make the PSN username "DirtyWeasel". I guess "dirty" is a word that isn't allowed for PSN usernames. I made "DrtyWeasel" but it looks strange to me. I guess i'm sticking with CloudOne.

<--- yea you can.

MCD

A friend of mine wants to get the PS3 version but he wants to know some stuff first, here it is:

I don't live in Europe or the US and I want this game, but COD4 has made me realize how bad it is when you can't choose hosts based on latency before joining. Does UT3 show you the pings of the servers you wanna join? Also, does the PS3 version have client-side hit detection?

anyone know about this?

theBishop

Banned
McDragon said:
A friend of mine wants to get the PS3 version but he wants to know some stuff first, here it is:

anyone know about this?

You can choose "Quick Match" to let the game choose for you. Or you can filter by your preferences and see the server list (yes with Ping).

kitch9

Banned
Mad Max said:
Great game but why isn't anyone playing the PC version online:S.

There are only a few people that can actually play the fucking thing. It crashes, hitches and freezes all over the place.

Wish I'd got it for PS3, I love UT games and the PC version is killing it atm for me. I just wanna play and can't. I upgraded my PC for this too.

Epic are on my master developers list, but boy they fucked up with this one.....

sprocket

Banned
Wow I am very impressed with epic here.

Hopefully EPIC is getting out the the optimized code to all ps3 devs with the UE3 license.

Also if you think these graphics are bad or worse than GOW you are just showing your fanboyism.. or have overly fond memories of GOW.

MCD

theBishop said:
You can choose "Quick Match" to let the game choose for you. Or you can filter by your preferences and see the server list (yes with Ping).

That's great to hear, but do you know anything about client-side hit detection?

theBishop said:
The game doesn't have the consistency across the screen that made Gears so impressive.

That's also the price of variety

dark10x said:

I don't like the grungy style in UT in general, and in some cases at least in the beta demo it became down right distracting. I understand that Epic developed a certain style that they are obviously very happy with, but it's not UT.

McLovin

Some things do look amazing in the game.. but some just don't. On one of the maps I saw this thin white dotted line where one of the map pieces connected with the other. I haven't seen that crap since like 1999. Also in some stages the corners don't blend very well. Some textures are really good while others are bad. And they get mixed together it just doesn't look good to me. I guess I was really disappointed because I was expecting allot more from Epic. They really should have delayed the game IMO.

Icy

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
That's also the price of variety

I don't like the grungy style in UT in general, and in some cases at least in the beta demo it became down right distracting. I understand that Epic developed a certain style that they are obviously very happy with, but it's not UT.

agreed the grungy low color design.. meh. Looks like a colorblind guy designed it.

Borys

Banned
The fact that friggin MARK REIN plays it on a PS3 instead of a PC is pretty... telling?

Maybe I should buy a PS3, hmm :/

antiloop

BeeDog said:
Many people seem to mix up bad graphics with mediocre art direction. UT3 ain't the most aesthetically pleasing game around, but the console version is definitely not a technical slouch.

True, I am not overly fond of the art either but it's UT. I basically don't care about art of graphics as long as it's smooth and don't look like a last-gen game. :lol

theBishop

Banned
Man, I'm still fuming a little about the split screen thing. I noticed in the settings the game supports LAN play. Awesome feature, but I don't know how many opportunities I'll have with 8+ PS3s, 8+ HDTVs, and 8+ copies of UT3 in the same place at the same time since i've been out of college.

If it supported 4 player split, my cousins/brothers could all play simultaneously over the holidays. Instead, it'll probably be lots of Rockband.

When are next-gen developers going to realize Split screen is a huge way to market your game. Supporting online-only means only people who already own it can play.

Firewire

Banned
I played for about 5 hours last night, and it was a pretty awesome experience, especially for someone that has never played Unreal Tournament games before. Graphics looked great to me, wasn't to nit picky about looking for faults or anything. I love the variety and layout of the maps, this won't get old anytime soon especially if mods are available in the future. And damn the weapons are fun!

I was also surprised by the speed in the game, Its faster than Resistance, but it feels right. I was originally thinking of going KB/M, but the controller feels just fine to me. I had one disconnect last night, the only thing that bothered me was the voice chat. In all but 2 matches I heard no one at all, and in the two that I heard people it was a bit choppy. I wonder if everyone was to busy playing to talk or if there is some sort of chat problem. Also do you have to key to talk? I couldn't find anything in the manual.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
theBishop said:
Part of the problem for me is I moved the PS3 to my computer desk to check out the KB/M stuff (and the GF was watching TV), so I had an up-close look at each pixel. I've never sat so close to Gears to do the same.

My general takeaway is the models that obviously received attention (vehicles, characters, architecture) look exquisite. The Necris vehicles animate beautifully. Unfortunately, the environments themselves are bland. The game doesn't have the consistency across the screen that made Gears so impressive.

Its also hard to compare to Gears because the way you traverse the environments is so different in both games. Gears always has that camera fixed over the shoulder and you move fairly slowly through small spaces with very deliberate animations. UT3 has you cruising on your hoverboard over long, open distances.
I think it has to do with both the large number of unique environments and the need to load the complete map into ram at one time.

Gears uses only a handful of environments which allowed them to perfect the design. It's also a slower, linear game that allows for data streaming along the way.

The multiplayer maps in Gears were never as impressive as the single player maps (though they did share some of the fantastic texture work).

With UT3, they had to create a much larger selection of assets to support the variety of map types. I mean, you have cities of all different cultures, you have space stations, factories, forests, and all sorts of other random mixtures. Gears uses a more unified style. I'd also say that Gears environments are a bit less organic in design while UT3 tries to introduce all sorts of crazy surfaces.

UT3 was also designed to allow for fast play even with lots of players on screen AND was built with the PC in mind (they wanted people with low end PCs to enjoy the game too).

Here's a few comparison shots from Epic showing off the arenas in both games...

928234_20070501_screen004.jpg

928371_20070905_screen002.jpg

928234_20070108_screen003.jpg

928117_20070710_screen020.jpg

928234_20070108_screen001.jpg

928117_20070905_screen003.jpg

Haklong

Ready to play with some of you guys. I got it last night played a bit then went to bed. I will add some of you guys when I get home so I can play with GAF.

Add me if you wish.

GAF: Haklong
PSN: Haklong

Firewire

Banned
Aeon712 said:
Haven't had one freeze yet and played it for about 2-3hrs yesterday.

Didn't get that friend invite last night Aeon, I guess they are having problems with messaging or something! Anyways I sent you a friend invite through PSN last night but your friends list is full, I think its time you deleted someone in favor of Mr. Easy Kill (myself! Spartan666) :lol

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I wish there was an option to change the button that activates voice chat, or just have it on all the time. holding down right on the d-pad means you can't move and talk.

satori

Seriously this game is as much as I hoped it to be. It was reallly hard for me to actually go to work today. Matter fact I think its time to take a vacation :)

I was really suprise with how well the controllers worked. Especially since I remapped some keys. I did not try it with a K/M yet but I already know once I step in that realm there is not turning back...

Took my a few games to get my Unreal juices flowing but what makes these types of game fun is learning the weapons and maps. I played a few matches and already there are some hot pros running around, or more jumping around, in your face, you are dead before you know it...

Firewire

Banned
TONX said:
I wish there was an option to change the button that activates voice chat, or just have it on all the time. holding down right on the d-pad means you can't move and talk.

I bet this is why no one was talking last night. Is there no way to re-map it?

Gattsu25

Banned
By the way, I only had a few minutes to play the game last night (yes...yes...I did buy it, afterall) and wanted to just do a quick single player mission...get a feel for the narrative before I delve into the multiplayer (same thing I do with all UTs) and watched the inreo movie

then when it came time for the 1 on 1 match against your character's sister, I saw that Denogginizer was in the match as well and ...shit...that was an amazingly awesome experience...so unexpected and FUN AS HELL

did manage to play a few TDM matches before I called it a night

Denogg: RAWK

Gattsu25 PSN: Gattsu25

Something about the indoor industrial levels is a bit off. The level design is great but something about the colors used strip it of the classic UT feel.

I think I'll pick this up for PS3, never liked an Unreal game before but WHAT THE HAY, the slower pace and nice graphics might reel me in, PSN is revolverjgw

M3Freak

Banned
Smokey Bones said:
Is anyone else getting some pretty high pings when the server list comes up??

Yep. Yesterday I saw about 5 under 100, the rest were above. A few were above 1000. A couple were above 2000.

Is there a way to filter the list on ping times? I'd rather not look at anything past 150.

M3Freak

Banned
I played for about 15 minutes (all I had time for). My impressions:

1. game is fast - faster than resistance. Nice!
2. the reticle was moving too fast me, so I had a hard time aiming. Have to slow it down (I do the same in Resistance).
3. graphics are sweet - water looked great on the ice level.
4. sound effects are awesome. Sounded really good in 5.1.
5. the announcer is a lot less annoying than I thought it would be, but I had a hard time making out what was being said. I either have to tune the in-game sound settings, or get my HT levelled (probably both).
6. I don't like the non-party thing - I loved it in Resistance. Every online FPS needs that feature.

Hopefully tonight I can spend some more time with it. But, that won't likely happen until the holidays.

Nightz

So I read somewhere in this thread that voice chat is set to off by default? Where in the options do you go to turn it on? (At work right now, so I can't tinker around with it myself)

The Chef

Played the game for several amazing hours last night.
What a terrific addition to add to my library. I am such a fan of Resistance online but after playing this I find it hard to imagine playing Resistance online instead of Unreal. Absolutely fantastic game.

This morning I actually tried to take a few moments and marvel at some of the visual gems from the game. The detail, texture and lighting that went into, not only the environments but also the intricate details in each gun are gorgeous.

Also, I dont know if it has been discussed yet but on a few games last night in vehicles and ships, the audio in the game sounds like absolute horse shit.

What is that about!? It sounded like all of my speakers were blown. Each shot sounded full of static and cracking. This morning I was playing a team deathmatch and I didn't notice anything wrong with the audio? Anyone experience this?

v0yce

TONX said:

You can.

But I'm at work and don't remember the steps.

CBal2424

Banned
Well I just put another 3 hours in, sandstorm is a fuckin awesome level, I love hooking onto vehicles while on the hoverboard, and its even better when the vehicle flys and ur just getting tossed around in the air lol.

Some of the textures are really really good, while some are real bad.

Overall im really impressed, and I cant wait untill epic patches the cooking software so we can get some MODS up and running.

Oh and I wish voice chat would work, there has been so many times I wanted to tell my teamates somthing.

I just bought a Spiderman bundle PS3 last night along with Drakes Uncharted and this game. I'll be on during the day and evening. Also, I need some PSN friends!

PSN: BravoSuperStar

(BTW I am very impressed with the PS3 so far)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Gattsu25 said:
By the way, I only had a few minutes to play the game last night (yes...yes...I did buy it, afterall) and wanted to just do a quick single player mission...get a feel for the narrative before I delve into the multiplayer (same thing I do with all UTs) and watched the inreo movie

then when it came time for the 1 on 1 match against your character's sister, I saw that Denogginizer was in the match as well and ...shit...that was an amazingly awesome experience...so unexpected and FUN AS HELL

did manage to play a few TDM matches before I called it a night

Denogg: RAWK

Gattsu25 PSN: Gattsu25

:lol :lol

That was pretty cool I must say. I selected the option of joining your match and following you and the next thing I see is the cutscene from the beginning of the SP.

I too did not get much time with it last night but I played Arsenal 5-6 times and was scoring headshots with the sniper rifle. I will definitely be playing this more.

just played a bunch of deathmatch multiplayer... then tried to played team deathmatch and the damn game froze on me every time i tried. three tries. two different servers. two different maps...

anyone else run into this? PS3.

i'm going to try deleting the installed files, reinstalling and seeing if that helps. got to say i LOVE it all the same. plays so well. ah, ut... how i've missed you.

Top Bottom