• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

Jeff-DSA

Ok, so I played it for a few hours last night. Some thoughts:

-Game graphics are great...but issues with the Unreal engine still bug me (pop-in textures, jittery shadowing, etc.)
-The game is DEFINITELY slower. I don't care what anybody says, but I've played Unreal Tournament since the first one came out on the PC and this one seems like it's at half speed.
-The story is silly, but the cutscenes sure are pretty
-The Sixaxis sucks for FPS games (like the DS2 did) when compared to the 360 controller (this is 100% my opinion, by the way)
-Aim assist is WAY TOO strong (maybe I can disable it, I'll have to look)

Basically I didn't like the feel of the game. I'm sure after some adjustment I could be alright, but I didn't like the slower character movement, the slower framerate than I'm used to getting on PC, and the sloppy Sixaxis controller. Maybe I need to get a keyboard and mouse combo, but at that point I'm better off sticking to the PC side of things.

Did anybody else notice that jumping is pretty much worthless? Man, the guy leaps like 3 inches at best, even with a double jump.

Sorry, it's just that after a few hours I wasn't impressed much at all. I don't know why PS3 owners would care to put much time into the game when Call of Duty 4 and Team Fortress 2 are equally priced options.

I haven't read the whole thread, am I approaching this wrong? I'm an experienced UT player...this one just felt off for some reason.

tanod

when is my burrito
andycapps said:
Anyone tried the SP on co-op? Is it as fun as Resistance? Thinking about renting this for me and a friend to play through. May buy it depending on how much Christmas money I get, there's too many good titles out now...

I forgot the game had this. Isn't it 6-player online coop or something for the campaign? I didn't even look.

Jeff-DSA said:
-The game is DEFINITELY slower. I don't care what anybody says, but I've played Unreal Tournament since the first one came out on the PC and this one seems like it's at half speed.

You're not imagining anything. Mark Rein said they deliberately slowed the movement speed down to 80% of the PC's to make it play better on the consoles.

Safe Bet

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
I haven't read the whole thread, am I approaching this wrong? I'm an experienced UT player...this one just felt off for some reason.
I am new to the UT series and a lifelong console gamer so perhaps that why I find the game enjoyable?

Although, I do agree with the SIXAXIS (although I'm not a huge fan of the 360's offset sticks either honestly) and the weak jump complaints.

I don't want a floaty jump like Halo but a couple more feet in vertical clearance would be nice.

Jeff-DSA

tanod said:
You're not imagining anything. Mark Rein said they deliberately slowed the movement speed down to 80% of the PC's to make it play better on the consoles.

Weird. I don't like it much, but I'm willing to keep playing to see if I can get used to it.

Jeff-DSA said:
Sorry, it's just that after a few hours I wasn't impressed much at all. I don't know why PS3 owners would care to put much time into the game when Call of Duty 4 and Team Fortress 2 are equally priced options.

They are different experiences though. Very different. Besides, many PS3 owners cut their "next-gen" MP teeth on Resistance, and UT3 is a pretty logical next step there.

Safe Bet

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
They are different experiences though. Very different.
OFT

Personally, the grenade spam in COD4 has turned me off so much I haven't played the game since the first week of release.

That could be online shooter burnout though...

I don't play online like I used to.

:(

theBishop

Banned
andycapps said:
Anyone tried the SP on co-op? Is it as fun as Resistance? Thinking about renting this for me and a friend to play through. May buy it depending on how much Christmas money I get, there's too many good titles out now...

The coop is online-only. Unbelievably, there is no split-screen in UT3.

Resistance's campaign beats UT3's within an inch of its life.

andycapps

theBishop said:
The coop is online-only. Unbelievably, there is no split-screen in UT3.

Resistance's campaign beats UT3's within an inch of its life.

Wow, online co-op but no split screen. That's really backwards. I remember seeing something on CVG about them possibly adding split-screen down the line, now that I think about it. Maybe I'll check this out, I don't know. If I've got Ratchet, COD4, Warhawk, and this on my list, should this be at the top or bottom? Beaten COD4 but I've been borrowing it from a friend for weeks and would be getting it for the online as I've really enjoyed it.

Safe Bet

Banned
CoD4 Online vs UT3 Online

It really comes down to which kind of gameplay and setting you prefer, imo...

I couldn't easily say to get one over the other due to the fact they are so very different.

Give UT3 a rental or borrow it from a friend, then make up your mind.

Jeff-DSA

andycapps said:
Wow, online co-op but no split screen. That's really backwards. I remember seeing something on CVG about them possibly adding split-screen down the line, now that I think about it. Maybe I'll check this out, I don't know. If I've got Ratchet, COD4, Warhawk, and this on my list, should this be at the top or bottom? Beaten COD4 but I've been borrowing it from a friend for weeks and would be getting it for the online as I've really enjoyed it.

From what I've played so far, Call of Duty 4 should be tops on your list.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:

Let me know when I can play solo or co-op vs bots with a friend in COD4 or TF2...

I think it's a great game, the pace is fast enough and I played the previous games on the PC. I have yet to even play online, the campaign has kept me busy teaching me the modes and maps.

I have TF2, but for some reason I could not get into it. Maybe the learning curve with all the classes. I have not tried COD4, but I'm a little tired of military shooters, I have BF2 for that (with bots!).

Z_Y

Safe Bet said:
A dude with a Halo avatar takes my mention of Halo far beyond its intent.

How utterly fucking surprising...

Edit:

I'm about to jump on if anyone wants a game accept/send invite please.

I thought my avatar was humorous....sticky on the head and all. I like Halo but I'm no zealot. I have a hard time even following the story in Halo. I do enjoy Halo multiplayer which is completely different than it's single player campaign. Unlike the single player "campaign" in UT which is played on the same maps that are available in multiplayer except with bots instead of other humans. I was simply pointing out the ridiculousness in your statement. But I am quite certain you were aware of that fact.

All is well though...I didn't buy UT3 for it's single player campaign so I could care less.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Been playing a few hours now, and I'm loving the game, easily my fav. multiplayer FPS of the year. The game looks amazing, while the art style isn't for everyone, and it runs fantastic, lowest I've seen the FPS hit is 45 and that's with everything on max and on 32 player vCTF server. Maybe I didn't play UT2k4 enough but the Biorifle is just awesome now, love playing the smaller DM maps and just littering the place with the alt fire. Vehicles are awesome aswell, so much fun rolling around the place in the Scavenger.

Concept17

I may be picking this game up later today, but I have one question.

Is the initial fun factor wearing off? Is anyone bored of it after the first week or so?

EDIT: Mind you the only games to have really stuck with me over an extended period of time are CS and TF2.

RoH

Well looks like no one cares, I will be home shortly any way.
I need a challenging opponent, challenge me if you dare. >=\
PSN: REDEMPTOR

Firewire

Banned
Concept17 said:
I may be picking this game up later today, but I have one question.

Is the initial fun factor wearing off? Is anyone bored of it after the first week or so?

EDIT: Mind you the only games to have really stuck with me over an extended period of time are CS and TF2.

Not at all, I'm getting more & more into it. And I've only touched the surface, having only played TDM, DM & a bit of the campaign.

tanod

when is my burrito
To all of those thinking about picking this up:

If you enjoyed Quake 3: Arena at all on PC, you will love UT3 on PS3. It feels like the spiritual sequel to Quake 3 that I always wanted but never got.

<3

Nizz

I wonder when the mods from PC will start hitting? I was curious to see if a mod would be possible to play the single player "campaign" and instant action against the bots in the speed freak mutator mode? I played a couple of deathmatches that had the speed freak mutator on and I thought it was good fun. Twitch fragging at its finest! Would be cool to see a mod for that mode in single player and against bots, if possible...

Right I just got the PS3 version yesterday, and played my first few matches online today. Anyway I was playing on a 'pure' server but I was getting terrible lag. Like there was a good second delay when I picked up weapons and when I fired weapons, but everyone else seemed to be playing fine. This happened in a couple matches I joined. Any ideas what caused this?

theBishop

Banned
andycapps said:
Wow, online co-op but no split screen. That's really backwards. I remember seeing something on CVG about them possibly adding split-screen down the line, now that I think about it.

tell me about it.

The PC game already has split screen coded in tied to an ini option, so hopefully they can patch it into the PS3 version. Epic has mentioned on the forums they are considering it.

andycapps said:
Maybe I'll check this out, I don't know. If I've got Ratchet, COD4, Warhawk, and this on my list, should this be at the top or bottom? Beaten COD4 but I've been borrowing it from a friend for weeks and would be getting it for the online as I've really enjoyed it.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the games on your list. UT3 will be more of a must-have once the mod scene gets rolling. If I were you, I'd buy WarHawk or Ratchet first. If you don't have a headset yet, the $60 is a good deal. And the expansion is coming out today.

BTW: I think Toys R Us is doing a buy 3, get one deal. You might want to look into that.

Aeon712

I've only played the campaign with Bob, Sutdawg and Firewire. Are there cut scenes offline cause the only one I remember seeing was when the guy introduced himself as the captain of the operation and that your small squad was needed or some talk. Nothing afterwards and we played for like a good hr.

Aeon712 said:
I've only played the campaign with Bob, Sutdawg and Firewire. Are there cut scenes offline cause the only one I remember seeing was when the guy introduced himself as the captain of the operation and that your small squad was needed or some talk. Nothing afterwards and we played for like a good hr.

That's the only cut scene I have seen as well. I think the term "campaign" is being used loosely.

DeadGzuz

Banned
number1jagsfan said:
Okay, I am getting horrific lag in every game I join. Is anyone in the same boat? I imported to the UK, is that why?

If everyone hosting is in the US that might be a good reason.

DeadGzuz

Banned
number1jagsfan said:
Shouldn't I be fine on dedicated servers though?

Not if it's in the US. You still want the server to be as close to you as possible to minimize the latency. Speed of light is a bitch!

dralla

damn this game needs a saved films feature so bad. just had some awesome CTF games, teams were perfectly balanced. back and forth on all games.

1. how many headshots do you need for a headhunter? 10?
2. whats the best way to destroy the spider mine trap? I shot the shit out of it but it wouldn't 'die'

and Mark Rein said on the Epic forums that they have some "cool stuff" coming out for the game. I'm guessing it's more modes. Even though I never really liked bombing run, I kinda want it back.

Aeon712 said:

You usually only get a cutscene at the very beginning or the very ending of a chapter. Be glad your playing Campaign co-op since it's boring as shit and the Warfare missions can be very frustrating with your incompetent ai team. And be warned, it leads up to a shitty ass non-ending too. Hooray.

theBishop

Banned
Aeon712 said:

did the voice chat work for you in coop? i still have yet to hear anyone's voice.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I just hooked up a mouse and keyboard and got a "Dominating" in Warfare on Avalanche.

Be still my beating heart. 42" inches of Plasma beauty with Mouse/KB controls. faints

mandiller

I just won a copy of UT3 from a competition at ausgamers.com! :D

Sweet, I'll be joining the rest of you guys soon (waiting on a few computer parts to come as well).

Aeon712

theBishop said:
did the voice chat work for you in coop? i still have yet to hear anyone's voice.
Yea it worked though it's difficult to talk and play having to hold a button. I need to do what Tonx suggested to me and remap the talk button. Thinking of L2 since I never press it.

DenogginizerOS said:
I just hooked up a mouse and keyboard and got a "Dominating" in Warfare on Avalanche
I remember my first and only dominating, it was a TDM on Shangra la or how ever you spell it. Inside the rocket room with my flak cannon and person after person attacking me and getting fraged with flaks and then rockets. Oh how I love the full suit of armor :D.

dralla said:
damn this game needs a saved films feature so bad. just had some awesome CTF games, teams were perfectly balanced. back and forth on all games.
had such a game, too, yesterday!

CTF Instagib on strident. Teams were perfectly balanced and the counter went down to zero. 8:8 !
So we got overtime and the overtime took longer as the game itself. We got 2 times "denied". It was really mindblowing :D

Best Game 07!

Nemesis_

So whats the deal with the PS3 modding and stuff? Basically, am I able to install maps that I have downloaded on the PS3 version? I've read that anything that works on the PC version will wokr on the PS3 - can anyone clarify the whole modding stance of UT3 on the PS3?

No45

Nemesis556 said:
So whats the deal with the PS3 modding and stuff? Basically, am I able to install maps that I have downloaded on the PS3 version? I've read that anything that works on the PC version will wokr on the PS3 - can anyone clarify the whole modding stance of UT3 on the PS3?
The mods need to be run through a tool that converts them to be compatible with the PS3, and the tool isn't available just yet. When it is though, everything created with the UE on PC can be ported to the PS3.

CAVE343

Zaptruder said:
The game is pretty rockin.

Playin with the DS3 for movement, and mouse for aiming and firing. Works a treat.

I didn't know that was possible! I'm probably sticking with m/kb though, but I don't have the game yet. I'm also a bit worried about lag issues because I'm importing.

Firewire

Banned
I had some awesome games last night, but I think I need to turn up my controller & turn sensitivity up another couple of notches. I love playing this game with the sixaxis, Epic did a great job with the controller.

AVclub

Anyone played this thing with the Frag FX controller? I was thinking of picking one up but I haven't seen anything about it. The comments on Amazon are split right down the middle on whether this is great or terrible.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't bother answering...but it's this thing.

Also: If anyone has played with it, do you know whether it's permitted in the online games where "mouse/kbd" support is not allowed?

DeadGzuz

Banned
AVclub said:
Anyone played this thing with the Frag FX controller? I was thinking of picking one up but I haven't seen anything about it. The comments on Amazon are split right down the middle on whether this is great or terrible.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't bother answering...but it's this thing.

I bought one and returned it.

Aeon712

Firewire said:
I had some awesome games last night, but I think I need to turn up my controller & turn sensitivity up another couple of notches. I love playing this game with the sixaxis, Insomniac did a great job with the controller.
:D, I think that's why people like me and some of the other Resistance players are able to pick this up and play it so easily. Also me and Sutdawg had a great match going on with him owning me 4-2 before other players joined his team and I hit a 7kill streak :lol. So now the only way to settle this is with a dual >_<.

Firewire

Banned
Aeon712 said:
:D, I think that's why people like me and some of the other Resistance players are able to pick this up and play it so easily. Also me and Sutdawg had a great match going on with him owning me 4-2 before other players joined his team and I hit a 7kill streak :lol. So now the only way to settle this is with a dual >_<.

Sutdawg would win! :lol

wow, what day is it and what time is it? Working at night is messing up my world :p Im going to get on in about 12-20 minutes and start a serveer if anyone wants in. I almost always call is bob's funhouse, so come one you slags!

Top Bottom