• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

Aeon712

My Arms Your Hearse said:
I also had the misfortune of joining a game with the third rated player (xMONCOx) and being on the opposing team. Now that was rape... Completely dominating player.
Pffft, wait till you see the Aeon Effect in person :lol (I need to hook my PS3 back up soon:'()

ATF487

I'm having problems with the netcode.

PSN always works on startup, but once I get into Unreal I have problems. It won't always connect to the servers so I can't use either the community features or the multiplayer...This never happened with motorstorm/resistance/warhawk, so I'm not sure what's going on. My NAT type is 2, so it shouldn't be an issue on that front.

Fun game though.

dralla

ATF487 said:
I'm having problems with the netcode.

PSN always works on startup, but once I get into Unreal I have problems. It won't always connect to the servers so I can't use either the community features or the multiplayer...This never happened with motorstorm/resistance/warhawk, so I'm not sure what's going on. My NAT type is 2, so it shouldn't be an issue on that front.

Fun game though.

welcome to gamespy arcade

Speevy

Banned
That downloadable mod thing is neat, and a pretty great idea.

Tell me, will there be a point at which people will be able to make and share PS3-compatible mods and maps without Epic's permission?

skrew

Banned
Speevy said:
That downloadable mod thing is neat, and a pretty great idea.

Tell me, will there be a point at which people will be able to make and share PS3-compatible mods and maps without Epic's permission?
as soon as they get the ok from sony

el Diablo

Banned
Quick question, does UT3 have a type of cover fire mechanic to it like Gears or is it just your normal FPS? No clue myself but since it was done by Epic i figured there was a chance they might mix and match. Buddy is always on and on about Gears and was asking me if UT3 had it but couldn't answer, figured this would be the best place to ask heh

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
el Diablo said:
Quick question, does UT3 have a type of cover fire mechanic to it like Gears or is it just your normal FPS? Buddy is always on and on about Gears and was asking me if UT3 had it but couldn't answer since i haven't played it, figured this would be the best place to ask heh
Nope, stand still in UT and it's insta-death. Moving and dodging with twitch aiming is key.

el Diablo said:
Quick question, does UT3 have a type of cover fire mechanic to it like Gears or is it just your normal FPS? No clue myself but since it was done by Epic i figured there was a chance they might mix and match. Buddy is always on and on about Gears and was asking me if UT3 had it but couldn't answer, figured this would be the best place to ask heh

No cover system in UT3. Jumping is your best friend when evading shots.

"No cover system in UT3. Jumping is your best friend when evading shots."

No, no it is not. Jumping makes your movement predictable since you cannot change directions until you hit the ground (unless there's a wall near by).

el Diablo

Banned
Thanks that's what i figured from the UT's i've played in the past. For some reason though i thought it might be something they'd carried over since it is their engine and all and it might not be that difficult to just add it in :lol.

Off topic, but i don't suppose any of you guys could say whether COD4 has any type of covering type system or not? Between Gears and Uncharted i'm not sure if i can go back to your standard run and gun (which i was very average at to start with heh). I'm guessing it's the same and it's run / jump / lie on the ground / crouch but figured i'd ask.

Mindlog

el Diablo said:
Thanks that's what i figured from the UT's i've played in the past. For some reason though i thought it might be something they'd carried over since it is their engine and all and it might not be that difficult to just add it in :lol.

Off topic, but i don't suppose any of you guys could say whether COD4 has any type of covering type system or not? Between Gears and Uncharted i'm not sure if i can go back to your standard run and gun (which i was very average at to start with heh). I'm guessing it's the same and it's run / jump / lie on the ground / crouch but figured i'd ask.

A CoD4 cover system would be suicidal since you can shoot through many materials.

UT isn't a cover game. At least not yet :kittonwy.gif

el Diablo

Banned
Probably retarded questions for most of you i know but FPS' really aren't my thing anymore so i'm pretty much out of the loop on most things heh. Just couldn't transition well from KB/Mouse to controllers and lost interest :lol. Figured i'd ask about those 2 games since they seem to be what everyone's playing nowadays.

knicks

The fast pace customization is just sick. Jump boots with gun speed and double fast paced running is the greatest shit. And one shot-kill game options are awesome.

Crayon

Im suprised at how effective the controller is. In fact, the customization scheme in general.

I have it set up so that I use my mouse and hold the controller in my left hand. Then if I get into a no-mouse game I can just grab the controller and play without making any changes at all.

It's worth taking on the shitty menus to get to the control customization options. Things lik puting the push to talk button in an accessable place. And also look for the option to define your weapon priority.

btw, I've been nerfing this game all day and the dedicated servers have gradually been shifted towards the dm and tdm games. There no dedicated servers for warfare at all! I think the game is catching on because I'd say the midway servers have been at about 70% capacity all day and there are plenty of them. As well as p2p games and user hosted dedicated servers.

As murder simulators go, this one is the bee's knees.

Forsete

Pics from the PS3 version. Going to upload a video laterz.

ZApzKZMrt.jpg

EEspDZNwr.jpg

DpsgNsswm.jpg

sxUsrwOxR.jpg

HSIzJQIIl.jpg

Note Im playing with the "Vivid" post-processing settings, thats why the game looks so dark.

Forsete said:
Pics from the PS3 version. Going to upload a video laterz.

pictars

Note Im playing with the "Vivid" post-processing settings, thats why the game looks so dark.
Hey, so am I!

I wish the game would slow down a bit so I can look at all these nice things.

Teknopathetic said:
"No cover system in UT3. Jumping is your best friend when evading shots."

No, no it is not. Jumping makes your movement predictable since you cannot change directions until you hit the ground (unless there's a wall near by).

Whoops. Well, nevermind then. I just started playing, so listen to Tek.

So what do you do? Just shoot and hope for the best?

GAZERK said:
Whoops. Well, nevermind then. I just started playing, so listen to Tek.

So what do you do? Just shoot and hope for the best?
Hope is for the weak!
j/k

You learn about all the weapons and the level and use it all to your advantage. The rocket launcher can shoot genades, the flak cannon can bounce off walls and bank corners. If you shoot the shock cannon secondary fire with the primary fire, BOOOM. Btw dual enforcers is by far the best weapon. You just learn how to kill people more easily. Oh, and NEVER stop moving, ever.

BobTheFork said:
Hope is for the weak!
j/k

You learn about all the weapons and the level and use it all to your advantage. The rocket launcher can shoot genades, the flak cannon can bounce off walls and bank corners. If you shoot the shock cannon secondary fire with the primary fire, BOOOM. Btw dual enforcers is by far the best weapon. You just learn how to kill people more easily. Oh, and NEVER stop moving, ever.

Thanks for the advice. I'm slowly learning the game by just running through campaign and I'm learning some of these things as I go. So far the flak cannon and the RL have been my best friends, with the pistol not being too far behind. I've always been under the impression that you have to keep moving in UT or it's insta-death, however, I just started trying jumping left or right when I'm in a close or far encounter with the enemy. Seems to work pretty well because they only have a 50% chance of knowing which direction you'd go (left or right). Didn't know it was so predictable. Maybe I'll learn more of the tricks of the trade when I finally go online.

"Whoops. Well, nevermind then. I just started playing, so listen to Tek.

So what do you do? Just shoot and hope for the best?"

You can evade fire much easier by staying on the ground or dodging and you'll be a harder target to hit with hitscan (shock primary, sniper rifle, enforcers, link gun secondary, stinger primary) by keeping your movement unpredictable. Jumping makes you a significantly easier target to lead for hitscan, as well as an easier shot to lead with projectiles since they can tell where you're going to be in the next split second or so.

roxya

Teknopathetic said:
You can evade fire much easier by staying on the ground or dodging and you'll be a harder target to hit with hitscan (shock primary, sniper rifle, enforcers, link gun secondary, stinger primary) by keeping your movement unpredictable. Jumping makes you a significantly easier target to lead for hitscan, as well as an easier shot to lead with projectiles since they can tell where you're going to be in the next split second or so.

Yeah this is completely true. I haven't played UT since '99 but I was a big quake2 player back in the day. People who jump were not only easy targets with the railgun, but it's also sooo easy to shoot rockets at their landing point.

Crayon

It's really hard for me to concentrate on winning in most games. The skill is there but I have not the killer instinct that my taunting would suggest.

At the end there, I actually had to focus alot to put up a good showing because I knew I was going to be taking a break. Maybe I'm too lazy to play good all the time. Or too inconsiderate. I'm sure it's some failure in my character.

I'd like to purge it with violence. Soon. Does everyone present have Shrine and Krodan?

calder

How does the voice chat work? I was playing some campaign by myself when gamewrecks joined me (that was pretty cool) and it was fun, but when I went and turned on my headset it didn't seem like it was working at all. Is there no voice yet, or none in campaign?

Crayon said:
It's really hard for me to concentrate on winning in most games. The skill is there but I have not the killer instinct that my taunting would suggest.

At the end there, I actually had to focus alot to put up a good showing because I knew I was going to be taking a break. Maybe I'm too lazy to play good all the time. Or too inconsiderate. I'm sure it's some failure in my character.

I'd like to purge it with violence. Soon. Does everyone present have Shrine and Krodan?
It's failure in your character. Actually, I'm entirely content with fourth in a full 16-player room. Anything in the top half, really.

I have Shrine.

You have to press a button, calder. It's in your manual. (Don't have a headset so I don't know which.)

FabCam

Yo Crayon, I think I played in a match with you yesterday or today. Can't remember if I was on your team or whether you were awesome, but I definitely remember your name :lol

Can someone post the link to the mods. I cba to search this thread for them.

calder

Hmm I guess I'll go look. I pushed every button I could but never saw a screen icon showing I was sending audio. Maybe I was and he just couldn't respond. Not a lot of chatter needed in the game though, especially in proper online matches. For the coop campaign I just wanted to ask wtf I was supposed to be doing on that map. :lol

Crayon

There are none at the moment, but last nite there where dedicated servers hosting shrine, krodan and elevation. I'd like to get in touch with those guys and co-ordinate so that we can keep those poulated when they do go up again.

Just so that we are all clear: I do believe we can can make a pivotal difference in making a success out of this game. The platform seems as solid as any. And when it comes to open platforms on consoles WE HAVE NO ALTERNATIVE. So let's be the good guy hardcore gamers and try to take advantage of somebody's dedicated PC server set up just for us clueless PS3 users. Because last nite those mod servers where EMPTY. I played in them alone hoping someone would come in for about 3 hours altogether.

calder

If you guys want to play some mod action tonight I'm down. I have to go out now but I'll be back in a while, and it'll give me some time to figure out how to do it. Just let me know what I need to d/l.

Crayon

Okay I just emailed Herby Garcia at ut3mods. I just told him that the word is just getting out about his servers. And I asked him to give me a heads up on when they'll be up again.

Perhaps we can decide on a ruleset to request form him?

How about one 8 player dm Krodan server...

And one 16 player TDM Shrine server w/autosheilds.

?

FabCam

Can I play with you guys tomorrow afternoon (around 3-4 PM)? That's around 10-11AM Eastern. At the moment I'm just hopping around servers playing with randomers, some of which really don't know how to even play an online FPS.

FabCam said:
Can I play with you guys tomorrow afternoon (around 3-4 PM)? That's around 10-11AM Eastern. At the moment I'm just hopping around servers playing with randomers, some of which really don't know how to even play an online FPS.
I might hop on for a game after I wake up.

Top Bottom