• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Pre-Release Halo 2 Topic

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's a shame that the promised unified lighting model never came to fruition... :(

Not a big deal, I suppose, but it would have been slick...

GhaleonEB

halo2pic3.jpg

halo2pic1.jpg

halo2pic3.jpg

a6_1.JPG

Where's the second disc?

Ramirez

I'm just chiming in to say that the latest soundtrack snippet is the best yet along with GoR and In Amber Clad :O

8 days!

GhaleonEB

Deku Tree said:
I thought the LE box was going to be a tin which contained a regular box inside it.

Nope - It's an aluminum box the size of a regular DVD case, but with a plastic insert to hold the DVDs and manual.

Deku Tree

Was the second disk in a flap that somebody ripped out of that case? It is advertized everywhere that there is a second disk.

OG_Original Gamer said:
Fuck yeah, Master Chief here to save world. Fuck Yeah...

Master Chief, fuck yeah!

Comin' to save the motherfucking day, yeah!

Master Chief, fuck yeah!!

Freedom is the only way!

Master Chief, fuck yeah!!!

Anyway...one of the few really funny bits in that flick...

IJoel

DopeyFish said:
2 new songs on nilerodgers.com

Those Incubus tracks are awful, and even worse, they are pretentious with the stupid cliched titles :The Oddyssey (1st movement, 2nd movement, blah, blah).

Argh... those extra tracks, with the exception of Steve Vai will fuck up that soundtrack. Such awful crap on an otherwise fantastic soundtrack.

Ramirez

Im amazed at how consistent the music sounds with the first Halo,usually music seems to change too much between sequels,IMO.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Ramirez said:
Impend has music from the Halo title screen as the beginning of it...

Actually, it's a remixed outro from the song "Brothers in Arms" (it's only strings now, and it's on a different note)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Lakitu said:
"Flawed Legacy" is so awesome :D isn't it the same track from the first Halo? It's great!

it's a remix of Perchance to Dream from Halo. I like the new version way more :)

AniHawk

dark10x said:
Halo is one of the few games where a custom soundtrack option would be an INSULT.

Maybe it could have been an unlockable feature AFTER you beat the game on single-player mode.

I wrote that for a reason. :p

Always nice to have the option. It's not like I'd be playing Linkin Park instead.

I agree i would love to try out some EPic movie and Anime soundtracks while playing online. It added so much to the atmosphere while playing the Conflict games and counterstrike.

Burger

Wow, ignoring the lighting, which is totally different, the level of detail on the MC is insanely different. His visor is actually reflecting the environment (wether or not it's realtime or a custom reflection map) looks so much better than 'default yellow'.

Armor is much much more detailed.

Ramirez

Never figured it would look that good to begin with honestly,but I really didn't even notice the drop off in quality.

GhaleonEB

Ramirez said:
Never figured it would look that good to begin with honestly,but I really didn't even notice the drop off in quality.

A couple things to point out - the shot on the left is from a pretty crappy (and compressed) version of the trailer, while the one on the right is from a super-high res version of the launch trailer.

Note lack of polygon edges in the MC's suit on the left shot; also, the setting has shifted from night in space to daytime on earth. The only real loss is the realtime reflective visor. Also, the 'look' of the game has changed quite a bit, from ultra-realistic to more colorful.

Bungie also expanded the scale that the engine could handle. By all accounts, the game looks as good as Halo up close, and at a much, much larger scale.

dark10x

IJoel said:
Wow, that is a HUGE difference. Shame on you Bungie.

Come now, while they were being overly optimistic with that original trailer, there is no way they could have pulled off a Doom 3 style renderer on the XBOX with the way Halo plays...

Riddick managed pretty well, but the environments were very small and the action was generally limited to a low number of enemies (there was also that whole pixelation issue).

The only real loss is the realtime reflective visor

No, the entire lighting system was completely changed. That's quite a massive difference...

Sai

GhaleonEB said:
The only real loss is the realtime reflective visor.
And self-shadowing.

The game is still one of the more visually impressive titles of this genre on the same and competing consoles, fellas.

Gorey

Entire lighting system was changed? Could you elaborate, that's not something I had been aware of / was following.

Burger

Nobody should give too much of a crap, the game still looks and plays better than anything else on the Xbox.

Not sure why they changed the actual model of the suit though, look at the shoulder socket, it looks terrible in that shot. Mind you, I've seen that cinematic (from H2) and I didn't give a toss then.

dark10x

Gorey said:
Entire lighting system was changed? Could you elaborate, that's not something I had been aware of / was following.

Well, it seemed as if they were initially going for a unified lighting model ala Doom 3 and Riddick. Not only was it shown in early trailers, it was also talked about from a gameplay perspective. Bungie discussed the idea of taking out lighting the room and such and watching the shadows dance around as you fire your weapons in the darkness. That kind of thing...

Now, it seems that they have returned to the same style of lighting found in Halo 1 (perhaps not even that good, actually).

If you really look back at old information, you can clearly see that a LOT of features were dropped from the game. The game is VERY different from what was originally discussed and shown by Bungie. That old E3 2003 level, for example, does not really represent the game at all...and that was already missing a lot of features.

The game should still be excellent, but I fear that people may end up disappointed due to the changes and missed promises...

Burger

dark10x said:
The game should still be excellent, but I fear that people may end up disappointed due to the changes and missed promises...

You are wrong.

Wrong for perhaps the wrong reasons. I for one won't be upset that the shadows are different or the E3 level is re-worked. The E3 level looked so crappy anyway I was hoping it got the chop.

I suspect the Halo 2 nutboys will get up in arms for a totally different reason alltogether.

IJoel

dark10x said:
Come now, while they were being overly optimistic with that original trailer, there is no way they could have pulled off a Doom 3 style renderer on the XBOX with the way Halo plays...

Riddick managed pretty well, but the environments were very small and the action was generally limited to a low number of enemies (there was also that whole pixelation issue).

No, the entire lighting system was completely changed. That's quite a massive difference...

Well, I'm not disappointed at how it will look now, but the fact that they were somewhat deceiving with those graphics in that X02 video.

Don't get me wrong, there's no game I'm anticipating more, than Halo 2, but frankly the difference between the two is very VERY drastic.

Burger

IJoel said:
Well, I'm not disappointed at how it will look now, but the fact that they were somewhat deceiving with those graphics in that X02 video.

What ?

It's a fact of life that during development certain features get cut.

It's usually best to aim high then cut back, than aim low and make a shit game. I somehow doubt Bungie were out to trick us all.

Sai

A lot of elitist fans who feel "betrayed" will make it seem that way though. A select few at TXB have already started calling Bungie liars. Heh.

And Burger, dark10x was really talking about the game as a whole, not just the difference in shadows. HALO 2 isn't what everybody thought it would be pre-E32k3.

Burger

Sai said:
A lot of elitist fans who feel "betrayed" will make it seem that way though. A select few at TXB have already started calling Bungie liars. Heh.

And Burger, dark10x was really talking about the game as a whole, not just the difference in shadows. HALO 2 isn't what everybody thought it would be pre-E32k3.

TXB = Loosers. I can totally recall seeing the words "This is completley indicitive of the final product" right after that initial trailer.

And so what if someones preconceptions of Halo 2 are different than Bungies game ?? It is their game after all, they don't have to make apologies for anyone.

IJoel

Burger said:
What ?

It's a fact of life that during development certain features get cut.

It's usually best to aim high then cut back, than aim low and make a shit game. I somehow doubt Bungie were out to trick us all.

It's just that it looks way too different. From a software development perspective, if I'm writing unoptimized code, and I get (in this case) 60 fps with 1 character in an area that's not polygon intensive, I know I WILL HAVE TO REDUCE the quality in order to be able to sustain more intensive areas with more effects and characters. More specifically in Halo since at times there are more than 10 characters in the screen.

Anyway... again, I'm just somewhat surprised the difference is THAT radical. I did expect a difference, but that's a hell of a lot. I'm sure it'll still look fantastic and I'll love it. But you just can't just deny that the difference is quite drastic.

Deku Tree

Burger said:
Wrong for perhaps the wrong reasons. I for one won't be upset that the shadows are different or the E3 level is re-worked. The E3 level looked so crappy anyway I was hoping it got the chop.

Some of the e3 level looked to me like it could never work as actual gameplay. But I hope they kept segments where you can ride on the back of a warthog and be shooting while an AI soldier drives.

Gorey

Thanks for the info, Dark.

Dissapointing, but Halo 2 is still a shooter, so Frames/Sec > Eye Candy. Damn the announce trailer looked fine, though.

Although, it is interesting that one of the 'selling points' for the sequel, commonly discussed among my friends (generally a much more casual set of gamer types), are the 'enhanced graphics'. I wonder if they really are all that enchanced.

Personally I don't give a toss as long as the action and epic feel carries over from Halo 1. Don't get me started on Online Co-op though :D

Burger

Deku Tree said:
Some of the e3 level looked to me like it could never work as actual gameplay. But I hope they kept segments where you can ride on the back of a warthog and be shooting while an AI soldier drives.

You can, although it's not on rails like the E3 demo was.

It's just that it looks way too different. From a software development perspective, if I'm writing unoptimized code, and I get (in this case) 60 fps with 1 character in an area that's not polygon intensive, I know I WILL HAVE TO REDUCE the quality in order to be able to sustain more intensive areas with more effects and characters. More specifically in Halo since at times there are more than 10 characters in the screen.

Anyway... again, I'm just somewhat surprised the difference is THAT radical. I did expect a difference, but that's a hell of a lot. I'm sure it'll still look fantastic and I'll love it. But you just can't just deny that the difference is quite drastic.

Neither did I. Although to tell the truth, I probably would have never noticed unless I saw that screenshot. I bet Bungie just wanted to show off with the X02 trailer, I can't see any other reason for it. I mean, if they had released the trailer with Halo 1 visuals, there would have been a public outcry.

They had the fans salivating after that was shown, and knew they had enough unseen goodies up their sleeves to compensate for any drop in visual quality.

Anyway, I'm not concerned. The "New Mombassa" (E3 level) opening, graphics, gameplay, level design etc from the real Halo 2 is way way ahead of the E3 version.

Ramirez

I really didn't even notice until that pic was posted...I mean look at the other screenshots posted at the top of the page,still looks amazing.

And really,graphics are the last thing I want this game for.

dark10x

Burger said:
You are wrong.

I suspect the Halo 2 nutboys will get up in arms for a totally different reason alltogether.

As was noted, I was not simply talking about the shadows...

I was talking about the game as a whole. Halo 2 is different than what I'd imagine many people were expecting and many features that were talked about are not present.

I have the Halo 2 blowout issue of EGM in front of me with a bunch of info...

There is a section (big section) that says "What's new in Halo 2" and everything shown was cut!

There is no sprinting, no combo attacks, no leaning, etc.

Then you have the vehicles that were removed. There were 4 new types of Warthogs, and none of them made it. The ATV isn't there either.

There is more stuff kinda like that.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me too terribly much. I'm still very excited about the game and do not really care about the missing features...but they were very clearly presented to us and none of them made the final. I just believe that SOME people will end up being very disappointed as a result...

Really, they were WAY too optimistic when it came to revealing the game. They simply should have avoided revealing what they did. I'm sure most games have tons of ideas that get scrapped along the way, but they usually don't go and make massive cover stories about those features only to cut them (unless, of course, we are talking about a Molyneux game)

Sai

dark10x said:
They simply should have avoided revealing what they did.
Or told us earlier on. It sucks finding out about stuff like that right before the game is set to release.

Top Bottom