• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: PSP December 12, 19800 yen

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jack, trust me... they are not losing THAT much and when volume production will hit its peak the loss will be greatly reduced.

Still, it is not only through bleeding money that they are pushing the PSP: it is a great portable console with good multi-media features and high quality graphics and third parties are warming up more and more to PSP development.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Fucking finally, I was getting annoyed with all this rumor bullshit.

At $200 I'll definitely buy one, thanks Sony!

Possibly in Japan Fennec but not here, definitely not the revolution as you assume.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"I know that people won't believe me, but I can guarantee you that at that price Sony is losing over 3 man per unit."

i'm with you - probably because we were hearing the same.

Thing is - this is great for consumers , but i'd be intrigued to know how Sony will make their shortfall up...

i said it last thread on this subject - this is a ballsy move.

My assumption is that they have content/services lined up that are just to irresistable to bring in cash, as we know how sh1tty attachment rates are for handhelds.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
lockii said:
It's on.

Ball's in Nintendo's court, watch for the power play.

Watch the Nintendo DS drop to 10,000 Yen when PSP launches in eithe rJapan or the U.S. (which means that I will have over-payed the console this Nivember :().

Both players are playing a nice game :).

mashoutposse

Ante Up
MetatronM said:
You're actually lowballing it a little bit. Japan has a 5% consumption tax added (which is why there is a second price listed in the press release...the second price is what consumers actually pay).

So the actual price is about $195. Still good. Just being picky. :D

nitHead.jpg

pick-14oz-1-big.jpg

scola said:
FIXED :lol

3 man? wth is that anyway jackfrost? =/

30,000 yen ... about $280. That's how much Sony's losing per unit sold.

This is the "damn the initial profits, man, this is a 10-year war" price point.

The "buzz" from people who would know was suggesting the Japanese launch price be upwards of 4 man (about $380) as recently as last week.

This ... this is insane. Sony's insane. I hope it pays off for 'em.

Hollywood

Banned
So does it work like this ...

Sony loses money on cost for PSP

Microsoft loses money on cost for XBox

Nintendo loses money on competition

Wait .. what does this mean ...

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
The only thing that'd make this perfect is $30 - $40 games. Seriously I don't want portable game prices to rise any more than they have too. The complexity of this unit (PS2 detailed graphics compared to SNES style graphics) is going to dramatically increase prices for development so I can understand a price increase.

Panajev2001a said:
Jack, trust me... they are not losing THAT much and when volume production will hit its peak the loss will be greatly reduced.

Pana: I know that in a year, definitely two, that'll be greatly reduced, of course. Still, in the here-and-now, that's the cost Sony's paying to get it out-and-launched this fall.

btrboyev

It would've been a better move for the industry to let Nintendo continue to hold over 90% of the handheld market?

come on now dude, if you had it your way you'd want sony to be in that same position

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
fugimax said:
Give me a call when you can buy a 40GB Memory Stick...no wait, call me once it also doesn't cost a kidney to buy. I would hardly call this an ipod killer :p
I wasn't talking about direct feature-to-feature comparisons. My point was that this is the first time a portable device capable of such a variety of functions at such a high caliber was so inexpensive from the get go.

I mean, imagine if 40gb Ipods were $200 at launch. At twice the price they're still internationally popular.

Miguel

"Wraps it up? Didn't Game Boy Advance outsell both the PS2 and XBox combined last month? Hmmm ..."

WOO!!!
YOU KNOW YOU CAN'T BRING THAT WEAK ASS STUFF UP IN THIS HUMPY BUMPY!!!
YOU KNOW THAT BABY! YOU KNOW THAT! OR ELSE YOU'LL BE IN FOR A LONG DAY!
A LOOOOONG DAY! CAUSE TRIPLE T's....UP IN THIS....BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH!!!

terry_tate_i.jpg

pilonv1

ocio10.jpg

"This is how much market share Nintendo will have once PSP is launched at 19,800Y"

THAT ABOUT WRAPS IT UP FOR DS!!! IT'S ALL OVER SELL YOUR DS!!

Luckily this strategy ensure that Nintendo wins the profit war, which in the end makes games more fun.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I love it when companies do insane shit like this.

The DS pricing wasn't all that surprising to me (as the hardware isn't THAT impressive), but this strikes me as being dogshit crazy.

fugimax

It would've been a better move for the industry to let Nintendo continue to hold over 90% of the handheld market?
I wasn't alluding to market share..

I was talking about the trend of it being OK to lose money on hardware. This industry will crash soon..

Secondly, I don't think Nintendo has done a bad job with the handheld market. Games have remained fun. Graphics aren't everything...at least they weren't...I guess that's chaning even for portables now...grr.

TekunoRobby said:
The only thing that'd make this perfect is $30 - $40 games. Seriously I don't want portable game prices to rise any more than they have too. The complexity of this unit (PS2 detailed graphics compared to SNES style graphics) is going to dramatically increase prices for development so I can understand a price increase.

The prices released yesterday had the game prices ranging between 37 and 47 dollars.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
DCharlie said:
"I know that people won't believe me, but I can guarantee you that at that price Sony is losing over 3 man per unit."

Thing is - this is great for consumers , but i'd be intrigued to know how Sony will make their shortfall up...

My assumption is that they have content/services lined up that are just to irresistable to bring in cash, as we know how sh1tty attachment rates are for handhelds.

0306B_IN_S3F1.GIF

ken_psp_txt.jpg

SONYSAK2.jpg

story.kutaragisonyafp.jpg

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
JackFrost2012 said:
30,000 yen ... about $280. That's how much Sony's losing per unit sold.

This is the "damn the initial profits, man, this is a 10-year war" price point.

The "buzz" from people who would know was suggesting the Japanese launch price be upwards of 4 man (about $380) as recently as last week.

This ... this is insane. Sony's insane. I hope it pays off for 'em.
Holy shit. But what does "man" stand for? thanks in advance.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
DCharlie said:

When you make millions of something, it's going to be cheaper to produce than products with manufacturing runs in the tens of thousands (like PDAs), especially when the hardware is in large part internally produced. I don't think the losses are going to be extreme.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
SolidSnakex said:
The prices released yesterday had the game prices ranging between 37 and 47 dollars.
Ahhh damnit, I hope they figure out a way to lower that. It's mostly like going to be $40 to $50 here if that estimated price remains the same.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
fennec fox:

> Seriously, this price point will be the start of a revolution not just in portable games
> systems, but in all manner of portable devices.

Nonsense. Most companies are in the business of making money. You also won't be seeing Sony lowering the prices of its portable audio players, dvd players etc. The PSP is special case.

> Ipod? What a ripoff!

It's a completely different product. The people who are into iPods will still be so after this announcement. Personally I would never want to use a PSP as a music player simply because of its size.

> Portable DVD players?

Plays back your existing movie collection... legally.

Grubdog

Banned
What the? I thought that price was expected.. seems as high as I thought everyone was complaining about before. I'm confused.. =p

btrboyev

When you make millions of something, it's going to be cheaper to produce than products with manufacturing runs in the tens of thousands (like PDAs), especially when the hardware is in large part internally produced. I don't think the losses are going to be extreme.

problem is sony isn't producing everything on the machine, like for instance those screens.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
btrboyev said:
problem is sony isn't producing everything on the machine, like for instance those screens.

Ok, you found the only thing they are co-designing.

Can you guess who Sony went to for the LCD screens we like so much ?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
DeadStar said:
3 man = 30,000
4 man = 40,000

just guessing...
I got that thanks.

What I meant was what does it mean, like in english :p the words, not the value

edit: I guess there is nothing more to it than that :( .

Dead

well not really...yet
JackFrost2012 said:
man = Japanese counter for 10,000, ex. 3 man = 3 * 10,000

but back on topic:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! SONY HAS FUCKING LOST IT!
WOOO I was right!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
so we have launch games (21 !!!)
price
... can we have battery life for the full set, so i know how many 4800 yens i need to save!

feck, my pocked is gonna get raped :

Tiger Woods
Need for speed
Vampire Chronicles
Sangoku musou
MGS Acid
Puyo Puyo
Mingol
Puzzle Bobble
Ridge
Lumines
Armoured Core

although i was expecting to cough up 48000 for the machine and then extra for batteries anyways!

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Launch games --

Tiger Woods PGA Tour
Need for Speed Underground Rivals
Vampire Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
Shin Sangoku Musou
Mahjong Taikai
Mahjong Kakutou Club
Metal Gear Acid
Kollon
Puyo Puyo Fever
Doko demo issho
Minna no Golf Portable
Puzzle Bobble Pocket
Kotoba no puzzle mojipittan daijiten
Ridge Racers
Rengoku The Tower of Purgatory
Eiyu Densetsu Gagharv Trilogy
Lumines
Armored Core: Formula Front
AI Igo
AI Shogi
AI Mahjong

As I mentioned back in the rumor thread, I'll buy Mojipittan and Gagharv at first.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
I really doubt it's anywhere near that - not even highend PPCs cost 500+$ to make and their components cost the makers an arm and a leg most of the time(precious few have the benefit of making their own silicon etc.).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
JackFrost2012 said:
man = Japanese counter for 10,000, ex. 3 man = 3 * 10,000

but back on topic:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! SONY HAS FUCKING LOST IT!

No, they have not: a $350 PSP like you suggested would have hurt the unit a lot and wasted tons of R&D and left the 90 nm production lines much emptier.

thorns

Banned
I don't have any interested in handhelds but I might pick a PSP up when it hits $100..
seriously, the $200 psp makes $150 DS look like a joke now. Sony is going for the massmarket directly.

pilonv1

Sony taking Xbox loss leader route in handhelds = good for gamers. COMPETITION IS GOOD FOR CUSTOMERS. Unless Sony is looking at $40+ software, then we're all fucked.

Floyd

Probably financial suicide but you wont hear me complaining. First Microsoft now Sony.

2 Corporate giants bending over backwards and taking it directly up the ass just to give me what i want. It just doesn't get any better.

Brofist

scola said:
Holy shit. But what does "man" stand for? thanks in advance.

man means 10,000 in Japanese. It's not pronounced like the English world man...more like mahn..

Anyway nice news. Honestly, I'll enjoy kickin it back playing PSP and letting Sony team of expert financial advisors get paid big bucks to have heart attacks over this...it's not my concern in the least...cheaper means better for me

Top Bottom