• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: PSP December 12, 19800 yen

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
From the eng press release

PSP features an integrated high output lithium-ion battery that provides play time of between 4 and 6 hours for game titles and continuous 4 to 5 hours for video viewing. (SCEI actual measurement) (*2)

*2: Measurement conditions: display luminance set to maximum (180 cd/m2) and minimum (80 cd/m2) while volume is set to half of the maximum level, headphone in use and wireless LAN not in use.

So what are the games to look forward too?

I'm not a big fan of card battle games, so no MG:Acid.. maybe the Hot Shots Golf? Is that a launch window title? Damnit.. anyone else want to recommend something? I had been so expecting this to be +$300 that I had kind of been like, "Wow thats really cool.. (move on to something else)", but at this price? Damn..

I'll have to be majorly pulled in either direction.. N64 ports wont do it, nor will card games. =-)

Hope this doesn't come off as a troll.. just curious what else people are looking forward too so I can check it out.

btrboyev

seriously mp3 player + video player + playstation at $200 is a treat.
sony should make it somehow possible to play divx/other codecs on this (allowing homebrew software to run on the psp?).

I wonder what nintendo is going to do next? DS already looks a generation behind PSP, it might still appeal to the kids market but it's biggest competition is going to be the GBA now, while PSP will appeal to an unpreviously tapped market.

Eitherway, whoever wins, we lose (console gamers).

sony still has trouble here, music requires memory sticks and they aren't cheap, and the movies will most likely be $15-$20..would it be worth paying that much for a portable version of a movie?

look at this way

256mb flash mp3 player about $120
psp with 256mb memory stick = $200 ($250) + $80 or more

not saying it sin't a nice feature, but it will cost you something extra and its not really a viable solution for portable music especially considering the thing is gonna be bigger, fragile, and just looking to be ripped off.

030406media.jpg

Mirk

thorns said:
sony should make it somehow possible to play divx/other codecs on this (allowing homebrew software to run on the psp?).

If Sony did this no one would buy umd movies. But It will happen and when it
does bye bye Pocket PC hello PSP!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
btrboyev said:
sony still has trouble here, music requires memory sticks and they aren't cheap, and the movies will most likely be $15-$20..would it be worth paying that much for a portable version of a movie?

look at this way

256mb flash mp3 player about $120
psp with 256mb memory stick = $200 ($250) + $80 or more

[...]

What ? For $80 I can get you a 512 MB Memory Stick Pro Duo and for about $55-60 the 256 MB version.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
For that price I'm in.
But yeah, battery. Need to know about the battery.
Also is it region-protected?

btrboyev

rom the eng press release

PSP features an integrated high output lithium-ion battery that provides play time of between 4 and 6 hours for game titles and continuous 4 to 5 hours for video viewing. (SCEI actual measurement) (*2)

*2: Measurement conditions: display luminance set to maximum (180 cd/m2) and minimum (80 cd/m2) while volume is set to half of the maximum level, headphone in use and wireless LAN not in use.

so thats not very good at all and if you want LAN, no headphones and maximum brightness your looking at about 2-3hrs?

Rhindle

PSP Enters Japanese Market on 12 December at 20,790 Yen

Tokyo, October 27, 2004 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI), announced today that it would release its new handheld video game system, PSPTM (PlayStationTMPortable) (PSP-1000), on December 12, 2004, at a recommended retail price of 19,800 yen excluding tax (20,790 yen including tax) for the Japanese market.

With high-quality graphics processing capability equivalent to that of PlayStation 2, in addition to rich stereo sound, PSP offers the joy of playing full-scale 3D-CG games and viewing high resolution video images anytime, anywhere.

Equipped with a wireless LAN feature (IEEE802.11b), PSP enables users to connect to the Internet through access points, making it possible for users to download game characters and content and also to play games on-line with families, friends and on-line community members. For a more intimate gaming experience, a maximum of 16 PSP systems can be connected wirelessly through the ad-hoc mode allowing family and friends to create an instant yet powerful local on-line entertainment community (*1).

With PSP, the world of PlayStation, people's most favorite platform, is further enhanced. A 4.3 inch wide 16:9 high resolution LCD screen, the largest in a handheld gaming device, creates a personal environment in which to enjoy games, music and video anytime, anywhere, with a dynamism that has never been possible before.

To accompany the launch of the PSP system, a total of 21 game titles from SCE and third party software developers and publishers will be released by the end of this year. In addition to these titles, over 100 exciting new titles are currently in development. Innovative titles using the unique features of PSP, as well as PSP versions of hit titles that have been the drivers of the PlayStation platform will continuously be introduced.

Entertainment software of an entirely new category mixing game, music and video on a single UMD® is expected to be released in spring 2005, further enriching the world of PSP.

With PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and PSP, SCEI will continue to expand the market and create a new world of computer entertainment.

(*1) Complies with IEEE802.11b. Typical indoor range of approx. 30m at 11Mbps and approx. 91m at 1Mbps. Typical outdoor range of approx. 120m at 11Mbps and approx. 460m at 1Mbps. However, places with obstacles and strong electromagnetic waves, range may become narrower or transmission may be cut.

(*2) Measurement conditions: display luminance set to maximum (180 cd/m2) and minimum (80 cd/m2) while volume is set to half of the maximum level, headphone in use and wireless LAN not in use.

PSPTM (PlayStation®Portable) Basic Specifications and Features

Product Name PSPTM (PlayStation®Portable)
Color Black
Product Code PSP-1000
Recommended Retail Price 19,800 yen (20,790 yen tax inclusive)
Dimensions Approximately 170mm (W) x 23mm (H) x 74mm (D)
Weight Approximately 280g (including battery)
CPU PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)
Main Memory 32MB
Embedded DRAM 4MB
Display 4.3 inch, 16:9 Wide screen TFT LCD
480 x 272 pixel, 16.77 million colors
Maximum luminance 180 / 130 / 80cd/m2 (when using battery pack)
Maximum luminance 200 / 180 / 80cd/m2 (when using AC adaptor)
Sound Built-in stereo speakers
Main Input/Output IEEE 802.11b (Wi-Fi)
USB 2.0 (mini-B)
Memory Stick PRO DuoTM
IrDA
IR Remote (SIRCS)
Main Connectors Memory Stick DuoTM Slot
USB connector
DC OUT connector
DC IN 5V connector
Headset connector
Keys/Switches Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
Analog Stick
Enter keys (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
Left, Right buttons x 1
START button, SELECT button, HOME button x 1
POWER/HOLD switch x 1
Display button, Sound button, Volume +/- buttons x 1
Wireless LAN switch (ON/OFF) x 1
OPEN latch (UMD) x 1
Power Lithium-ion Battery
AC Adaptor
Disc Drive UMD Drive (Read only)
Profile PSP Game
UMD Audio (profile name TBD)
UMD Video (profile name TBD)
Codec Video: H.264 / AVC MP Level3
Audio: ATRAC3plusTM?MP3
Security (Encryption) 128bit AES
(Copyright protection technology) MagicGateTM
Access control Region, Parental Control
Wireless communications Infrastructure mode
Ad hoc mode (connection up to 16 consoles)

Supplied accessories

AC adaptor

Battery pack

Separately Sold Accessories

Product Name Memory Stick DuoTM
Product Code PSP-M32
Recommended Retail Price 2,800 yen (2,940 yen tax inclusive)
Specifications Copyright protection technology : MagicGateTM
Capacity: 32MB
Dimensions: Approximately 20mm (W) x 1.6mm (H) x 31mm (D)
Weight: Approximately 2g

Product Name AC adaptor (for PSPTM)
Product Code PSP-100
Recommended Retail Price 3,500 yen (3,675 yen tax inclusive)
Specifications Rated input voltage : 100V - 240V 50/60Hz
Rated voltage/electrical current output : 5V / 2.0A
Dimensions: Approximately 76mm (W) x 22mm (H) x 46mm (D)
Weight: Approximately 44g

Product Name Battery pack (for PSPTM)
Product Code PSP-110
Recommended Retail Price 4,800 yen (5,040 yen tax inclusive)
Specifications Voltage/Capacity : 3.6V/1800mAh
Dimensions: Approximately 52mm (W) x 12.5mm (H) x 36mm (D)
Weight: Approximately 44g

Product Name Headphone with remote control (for PSPTM)
Product Code PSP-140(W)
Recommended Retail Price 2,800 yen (2,940 yen tax inclusive)
Color White
Specifications Remote Control : Play/Pause, FF, FR, Volume +/-, Hold switch
Headphone : In-the-ear type headphone

Product Name Soft case and hand strap (for PSPTM)
Product Code PSP-170(B)
Color Soft case: Black
Hand strap: White
Recommended Retail Price 2,000 yen (2,100 yen tax inclusive)
Specifications
Soft case:
Dimensions: Approximately 195mm (W) x 7.5mm (H) x 108mm (D)
Hand strap:
Dimensions: Approximately 189mm (W) x 3.3mm (H) x 9mm (D)
Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.

So Sony's plan is to make the money back on UMD, "accessories", and licensing?

Seems feasible. I kinda wish their plan was to take a hit on all aspects of the PSP and force Nintendo to make some playstation games.

Anyways, I guess this means there's no way that $100 DS leaked photo was a mistake.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Color me fucking shocked. Seriously.

If the "launch window" includes Lumines, Ridge Racer Next, and a new Minna no Golf... I may consider importing, assuming the import fees aren't ridiculous like the $800 PS2s... I'll have Xmas money to spend ;)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"PSP features an integrated high output lithium-ion battery that provides play time of between 4 and 6 hours for game titles and continuous 4 to 5 hours for video viewing. (SCEI actual measurement) (*2)"

awesome!!!

btrboyev

What ? For $80 I can get you a 512 MB MEmory Stick Pro Duo and for about $55-60 the 256 MB version.

if you dig online yeah maybe, go into any store like target, walmart, best buy or computer stores and you won't see those prices.

and shit thats still $80 for only 512mb capacity on top of the price of the unit

Jonnyram

Can anyone explain what "display luminance set to maximum (180 cd/m2) and minimum (80 cd/m2)" means? Do they mean the low time is for max luminance and the high time is for min luminance?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
btrboyev said:
so thats not very good at all and if you want LAN, no headphones and maximum brightness your looking at about 2-3hrs?

You get 4 hours minimum with 180 out of 200 cd/m^2, I'd say that is pretty good.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
well my immediate interest in this just disappeared when i found out its region protected - so importing from japan means every game i get for it in the future has to be imported?

MUH OH

oh well.. ill get excited around february :p

edit: what the hell are they doing making a portable system region protected :p

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
if you dig online yeah maybe, go into any store like target, walmart, best buy or computer stores and you won't see those prices.
Yes you will if you live in say, HongKong :D
Actually 256MB stick non-pro will run you around 35$ only (it's still plenty fast enough for MP3 playback).

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Thanks Fafalada!

4 - 6 hours for battery life? Ouch that's kinda harsh but expected. I'll probably end up purchasing two batteries for the system, heh heh.

I'm still not excited about the media features for this system but if Sony can make the PSP $200 then I'm a beleiver.

HEre is the exact quote from GameSpot -

For movie UMDs, Kawanishi comments that SCE is planning to give UMDs a region lock that follows the current industry standard, such as DVD-video.

Here is the GameSpot article that this is grabbed from. I guess since it does not specifically say Games it could be up in the air, but this does say that the UMDs can be region locked. I wouldn't hold too much faith in the games not being locked.

M3wThr33

Banned
PSP features an integrated high output lithium-ion battery that provides play time of between 4 and 6 hours for game titles

Just enough time to beat the Bouncer PSP twice in a row! Ooooo.

Jonnyram

Interesting announcement:

Sony have cut a deal with NTT to use i-mode for online gaming and downloads. For non-Japanese residents, i-mode is the service used for data delivery to mobile phones. It basically has huge coverage (more than any other provider in Japan), but you will have to pay for bandwidth.

I don't know how to take this, because having all that coverage instantly is awesome, but if current i-mode prices are anything to go by, it will cost a ton.

hmm... memory stick would make things interesting, especially if you can save your own programs/hacks, such as supporting DiVX and said codecs... Maybe even a bypass for region locks? I only wish it could support Hi-MDs, that would be a dream come true...

Anyway, I think what's important to keep in mind that for you to compare current MP3 players to the PSP is kinda unfair. It's like comparing a cell phone with instant messaging to a Nintendo DS. You don't buy a DS just for instant messaging, just like how you won't buy a PSP just for MP3 playing, especially with that sexy LCD screen. PSP is Sony's attempt at convergence, no more, no less.

Now here's the thing I'll wonder about. Assuming that margins will be low for Sony, and undoubtedly for some retailers, you think the game specialty stores will attempt to bundle in games if demand is high?

pilonv1

For movie UMDs, Kawanishi comments that SCE is planning to give UMDs a region lock that follows the current industry standard, such as DVD-video

I think I'll wait till someone has discovered a work around for this.

btrboyev said:
4-6 usng headphones with the volume at half. Using the internal speakers is gonna weaken the life, as will LAN.

Oh come on, this is a weak bash. I don't like handhelds at all, but everyone should be able to admit the positive surprise.

Saki

Banned
scream.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

HOW WILL YOU PLEASE YOUR WOMAN PLAYING PSP GAMES?!
EH! EH!?!

sun-drop

thats some agressive pricing .... but ... it has a added bonus (for sony) of also serving as a extra pressure on xbox2 launch.

btrboyev

Oh come on, this is a weak bash. I don't like handhelds at all, but everyone should be able to admit the positive surprise.

I'm not trying to bash, its a nice price and is quite surprising to hear. Sony obviously is trying everything they can do to counter nintendo, and the price makes it very attractive, but sony is taking a huge risk here, and I'm just pointing out some flaws with the system

that battery life is not good enough even with 6hrs full output of the screen, your still only using half volume, no LAN, and headphones(not using the built in speakers)

Top Bottom