• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: PSP December 12, 19800 yen

btrboyev

well I say a may or june launch here in the us with a $250 price tage cause sony is probably gonna wanna just introduce the bundle version. Who knows, it could always end up more expensive here for whatever reason.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Floyd said:
2 Corporate giants bending over backwards and taking it directly up the ass just to give me what i want. It just doesn't get any better.
Well the ends justifty the means so it's in their best interest to do it. Most of the time companies do nothing for the consumer out of goodwill.

ANYWAYS...

AMEN BROTHER!!

explodet

fennec fox said:
Launch games --

*snip*

As I mentioned back in the rumor thread, I'll buy Mojipittan and Gagharv at first.
Now is that launch or "launch window"? 21 titles at launch seems just a bit excessive to me.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"No, they have not: a $350 PSP like you suggested would have hurt the unit a lot and wasted tons of R&D and left the 90 nm production lines much emptier."

.... eh????

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
btrboyev said:
well I say a may or june launch here in the us with a $250 price tage cause sony is probably gonna wanna just introduce the bundle version. Who knows, it could always end up more expensive here for whatever reason.

The bundle is worth the price though: it is not like the Japanese gamers get the extra stuff for free.

I do think that the PSP will launch with and without the bundle though to be able to advertise the very important $199 MSRP and put that in the ads on TV and on magazines/news-papers.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
explodet said:
Now is that launch or "launch window"? 21 titles at launch seems just a bit excessive to me.
It's games getting released in December.

And now that solidsnakex said the same thing first, I'd like to take this post to just say that PSP is da tops!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jesus Christ. I know what I want for Christmas now! Otosan, get down to bic camera and get the preorder in!

Better launch line up than DS too (IMO, and Made in Wario not withstanding)

My assumption is that they have content/services lined up that are just to irresistable to bring in cash, as we know how sh1tty attachment rates are for handhelds

I guess they are relying on the other entertainment strands to bring in some cash, or just hoping to write the loss off over 5 years? If they launch Sony Connect Movies, I'd be up for some of that (I can't be arsed ripping my DVDs frankly)

Hollywood

Banned
I'm sorry but I still think the old reliable Game Boy is still going to kick both the PSP and DS's asses.

OLD SCHOOL forever.

see: September NPD sales.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
DCharlie said:
"No, they have not: a $350 PSP like you suggested would have hurt the unit a lot and wasted tons of R&D and left the 90 nm production lines much emptier."

.... eh????

Demand would have been much lower and unless you love having enormous whare-houses full of PSPs you could not push the 90 nm lines at full-capacity.

Each month they can push (peak number) a certain amount of 200 mm Wafers through the 90 nm manufacturing lines (prepared for the CMOS4 manufacturing process).

I do not think that the EE+GS@90 nm keps the fab operating at full efficiency and throughput and this si a waste of money.

Also, PSP would hardly be in the best position to compete with the DS and the GBA 2 with a $350 MSRP.

This would mean that the PSP would jsutify less and less the R&D budget that financed its development.

explodet

Twenty-one games in a month is cool - cramming them all on the same day would have been a little painful.

I personally want to see what they do with Vampire Chronicle - fighters on handhelds haven't exactly caught on.

Rhindle

Haha ... I love this shit.

Stupid Nintendo thought they would steal Sony's thunder by preempting their price announcement. Now look who's ass is sitting on a plate.

This thing is going to sell every copy they can make for AT LEAST THREE YEARS at that price.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
my ps2 died. today - just before reading this.. WAHHHHH!!!!

maybe i'm gonna hold off on buying this thing at launch.. for fear of it doing the same thing to me :p

Brofist

Hollywood said:
I'm sorry but I still think the old reliable Game Boy is still going to kick both the PSP and DS's asses.

OLD SCHOOL forever.

see: September NPD sales.

would have been some feat if PSP and DS could have outsold the GBA in Sep :p

neo2046

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/041027a.html

041027c.jpg
041027a.jpg
041027e.jpg
041027i.jpg
041027h.jpg
041027g.jpg
041027f.jpg

large sized http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/041027a.html

Hollywood

Banned
Well I meant XBox and PS2 ...

People wub cheap Game Boy, Pokemon, and old school. :)

Pleez drop the GBA down to $60 now Nintendo. :D

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Dumb dumb dumb question but I don't remember it being covered so I'll ask.

Any memory-stick duo will work with this system correct? Will they work simply by plugging it in or does it need to be reformatted for PSP use?

Thank you in advance!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
sorry, I've just cum.

I guess we need lockdown on actual launch day releases. I don't want to preorder this only to find I can't play anything because Minna no golf, Ridge Racer and Lumines aren't released until boxing day!

explodet

That's not a typical size Memory Stick, is it? I always thought they looked longer.

EDIT: Never mind, just checked - the Duos ARE shorter.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'm so excited that I'm brimming with questions! :)

Any specific games that any of you would reccomend based on pictures and information released/known?

So far the only game that interests me is Ridge Racer and possibly Minna de Golf and Lumines.

As always, thanks in advance.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Guns N' Poops said:
So how long can we assume for this battery to work before needing new energy?

3 seconds

*turns on*
oh awe-

*turns off*
*plug in*

who knows :p but these pics are making me froth at the mouth

btrboyev

yeah, nothing like admitting your battery life is on the low end by making it easy to swap out

and if you can't tell the 30 mins is just a photoshop then you should get yor eyes checked.

thorns

Banned
:lol :lol
seriously mp3 player + video player + playstation at $200 is a treat.
sony should make it somehow possible to play divx/other codecs on this (allowing homebrew software to run on the psp?).

I wonder what nintendo is going to do next? DS already looks a generation behind PSP, it might still appeal to the kids market but it's biggest competition is going to be the GBA now, while PSP will appeal to an unpreviously tapped market.

Eitherway, whoever wins, we lose (console gamers).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
TekunoRobby said:
Dumb dumb dumb question but I don't remember it being covered so I'll ask.
Not really dumb, it wasn't covered yet afaik.

"Any memory-stick duo will work with this system correct?"
Yes

"Will they work simply by plugging it in"
Yes (media you buy is already formatted).

"or does it need to be reformatted for PSP use?"
No

jiggle

*fap*fap*

Waiting to hear the US price.

Now, who's the one that said he'll eat his sock if this thing comes in sub 200? :)

explodet

Yeah, there are still too many questions left unanswered. If this thread is to reach DS Thread of Doom proportions, we're going to need screenshots, news for the US launch and that whole battery life thing will need to be addressed.

Top Bottom