• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd Box Office 07•17–19•09 - spic-and-span Harry is still lucky, punk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
District 9's budget is only 30 million, and it looks pretty good, so I'm sure it'll make a decent profit, and if it's really good, then the director (forgot his name, but he was South African dude who was lined up to direct Halo movie) will have no problem getting additional funding.

Think about it this way: McG has directed Charlies Angels (had average box office returns, had 150 million dollar budget), opted out of directing a new Superman movie to direct Charlie's Angels 2 (which bombed), and he was still able to direct a 200 Million Dollar blockbuster! If McG can get opportunities like that, even after consistently fucking up, I'm sure a Peter Jackson-backed director won't have any problem getting a job either.

Epcott

Acid08 said:
I think GI Joe is going to make a decent amount of money, but it's definitely going to be the worst reviewed movie of the year. Also no one who sees it is going to leave happy in any way, shape, or form.

People are saying it's better than TF2 and TF. By saying it's better than TF2, it's not saying much... but the review makes it sound light years better than any Bay monstrosity.

Another link
and another link

FYI, those reviews are spoiler heavy, but if you don't plan to see it... enjoy

GI joe won't even be a third as successful as Transformers 2. That much I can guarantee. I still wish for TF3 Nolan would direct the movie, and Bay do the action scenes. A guy can dream though. *Cries.*

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Bruno is not a success. It depends on the movie and the original projections. This was supposed to pass $100m at the very least.
I believe there's been articles about Universal stating that they are pleased with how much the film has made so far, which in my eyes means that Bruno is a success.

artist

Banned
the walrus said:
District 9's budget is only 30 million, and it looks pretty good, so I'm sure it'll make a decent profit, and if it's really good, then the director (forgot his name, but he was South African dude who was lined up to direct Halo movie) will have no problem getting additional funding.

Think about it this way: McG has directed Charlies Angels (had average box office returns, had 150 million dollar budget), opted out of directing a new Superman movie to direct Charlie's Angels 2 (which bombed), and he was still able to direct a 200 Million Dollar blockbuster! If McG can get opportunities like that, even after consistently fucking up, I'm sure a Peter Jackson-backed director won't have any problem getting a job either.
Impressions from the comic-con footage: http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/
You’ve seen the signs everywhere, starting last year at Comic-Con – “Humans only.” You may know that it’s a fake documentary about aliens who land on Earth with nowhere else to go, and are confined to a shantytown in Johannesburg, South Africa. But considering how soon it’s coming out, it’s remarkable, and possibly counterproductive, how little has come out about character or story.

The 7-minute reel we saw put that to rest.
Newcomer Sharlto Copely, a school friend of director Neill Blomkamp, plays a government census guy who manages alien affairs and sometimes has to evict them. The aliens are human-shaped bugs, basically, and are clearly being mistreated by the government. While evicting some of them, Copely’s character sets off a biological booby-trap that contaminates him with alien DNA, turning his hand into an insect claw.

This is convenient for the government, as they have some of the alien weaponry, but cannot use it as it is DNA-activated. And now they have a man with alien DNA, but he soon resents the way he’s being used, and starts fighting back on the side of the aliens.

Oh, and there are mechs. This is the year of the mech, it seems, since The Matrix trilogy made them feasible. AVATAR, IRON MAN 2, and this, a large battle suit that looks like a Neon Genesis Evangelion toy (Jackson was once attached to a possible Evangelion movie).
Mayhem ensues. Several bloody kill-gags are reminiscent of Jackson’s older movies. In one standout scene, a soldier fires a rocket launcher at the alien mothership, and the mech-suit, catches the rocket out of the air.
This was supposedly low-budget, but you’d never know…Blomkamp has been a CG animator since he was 12.

I cannot wait. This reel was maybe the best thing I’ve seen all Con.

Blomkamp and Jackson originally met when they were supposed to do the film adaptation of the HALO video games – PJ was impressed with Neill’s reel. They spent nearly 6 months developing it, and then studio politics killed it. Jackson says they never got to submit a script or budget. Rights to the movie have reverted back to Microsoft, who felt burned by the studios (Universal and Fox) and are figuring out there next move. PJ says the idea still excites him, but Neill right now prefers developing his own ideas.

The design of the aliens comes from the notion that they’re like an insect hive that have lost their queen. They’re drones who have lost their drive, so it made sense to have them be insects.

Jackson concludes by hinting that he may do a low-budget horror movie again soon, as he has some free time while Guillermo del Toro makes THE HOBBIT.

ZephyrFate said:
I believe there's been articles about Universal stating that they are pleased with how much the film has made so far, which in my eyes means that Bruno is a success.
Studio's will always try to spin the positive side of figures. You think they'd publicly acknowledge if a certain movie didnt reach their inernal projections?

TacticalFox88 said:
GI joe won't even be a third as successful as Transformers 2. That much I can guarantee. I still wish for TF3 Nolan would direct the movie, and Bay do the action scenes. A guy can dream though. *Cries.*
Sounds like a bad idea, it'd be liking watching Grindhouse only with a fucked up editing job. Transformers series is ok the way it is, non-sense mindless action movies as long as Bay can atleast muster up a movie like the first one. Anything under that (like TF2) is sub par.
Ofcourse, we're talking about content, not BO gross :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom