• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd Box Office 07•17–19•09 - spic-and-span Harry is still lucky, punk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
I think GI Joe is going to make a decent amount of money, but it's definitely going to be the worst reviewed movie of the year. Also no one who sees it is going to leave happy in any way, shape, or form.

Kusagari said:
GI Joe is going to be a mega bomb. I'm betting right now it doesn't even cross 50 million domestically.

Oh it will. It's the new flavor of the month. They'll love and eat the action up despite the reviews. Just like TF2, its the new shiny. And theres nothing as an alternative to it for that following week. So it'll make its budget back atleast.

Acid08 said:
I think GI Joe is going to make a decent amount of money, but it's definitely going to be the worst reviewed movie of the year. Also no one who sees it is going to leave happy in any way, shape, or form.

No one?

Really man?

Acid08

Banned
ryutaro's mama said:
No one?

Really man?
I would hope I live in a world where this film has absolutely no fans. If those screening impressions are any indication, no one will like this movie.

Acid08 said:
You're right. Otherwise the Dark Knight wouldn't be as highly rated as it is :(

Look, all joking aside, the fact that expectations have already been lowered so much and it's a late summer release (with little competition) I see it hitting an 80-100 BO total domestically.

Acid08

Banned
ryutaro's mama said:
Look, all joking aside, the fact that expectations have already been lowered so much and it's a late summer release (with little competition) I see it hitting an 80-100 BO total domestically.
That's around what I think it'll make as well. But I'm pretty sure that's less than its budget AND it's going to be universally panned by critics. I don't think it's going to be considered a success by any means.

And who's joking?

Acid08 said:
That's around what I think it'll make as well. But I'm pretty sure that's less than its budget AND it's going to be universally panned by critics. I don't think it's going to be considered a success by any means.

And who's joking?

You were serious with that TDK remark?

Tim-E

Each week for the past month or so, reading this thread has been the equivalent of reading a novelization of an abortion thanks to this Transformers 2 bullshit.

Talon

Tim-E said:
Each week for the past month or so, reading this thread has been the equivalent of reading a novelization of an abortion thanks to this Transformers 2 bullshit.
Hear, hear!

UraMallas

SuperBonk said:
This doesn't make any sense. As if applying a made-up label like "frontloaded blockbusters" somehow makes it ok for the movie to be frontloaded. I wonder why TF2 is not allowed in this club?
When you make $400 million domestic, I'm wondering, why isn't it okay to be a frontloaded blockbuster? Besides the groups on here bickering either way, why isn't it okay to make $200 million (or whatever) your first weekend and then another $200 million over the life of the film? I'm guessing "word of mouth" is the main reason but when you make $400 million dollars on your domestic theatrical run how bad could word of mouth really have been. I mean, really? It's not even about the "well you see, Ura, because there was a 52% drop off in comparison to TDK's 43% drop off on both films' second Thursday, that shows us that..."

Who gives a flying a fuck? It's a successful movie with mediocre to poor reviews that will spawn a sequel that makes slightly less money but still 100s of millions of dollars. In the end, it is what it is and that is a huge fucking blockbuster. A success.

Do you know why applying a term like "front loaded blockbuster" makes it okay for a movie to be front loaded? The word blockbuster, it still made a shit ton of money back. "Front loaded" only tells us what kind of legs it has, which with any blockbuster (and I mean, any) it doesn't really amount to a pile of beans when there are piles of cash stacked up right next to it.

BTW, I have no interest in seeing Transformers 2. For the record.

Seth C

DemonSwordsman said:
:lol :lol :lol at BRUNO.

I told you guys in the Bruno thread that movie had shit word of mouth and most people hated it. :lol

Yup. Borat was reasonably funny, but Bruno was one long, barely entertaining gay joke.

LM4sure

Banned
Revelations said:
Well you see the thing about it is that it dosnt have much competition when it release. I mean theres literall no opposition for it. So I expect it to have a strong opening for the half of August. And then District 9 will overtake it on August 14th and carry the momentum over it for the rest of the summer.

If you think GI Joe will bomb, District 9 doesn't stand a chance! That movie will be lucky to make $20M opening weekend.

LM4sure said:
If you think GI Joe will bomb, District 9 doesn't stand a chance! That movie will be lucky to make $20M opening weekend.

Quoted for future emphasis.

It has the recipe of awesome. If you havnt noticed it has a positive reaction going for it right now. Much more than G.I. Joe.

LM4sure

Banned
LM4sure said:

Doubling the emphasis because this is quoted for truth!

LM4sure

Banned
Revelations said:
Recipe of awesome:

Aliens
Robots
Sci-fi
Action
Explosions
Peter jackson
WETA
South African acting?
Unknowns
Intense Trailer

Your recipe of awesome is vastly different than the casual movie goer. GI Joe is awesome to the average movie goer.

LM4sure said:
Your recipe of awesome is vastly different than the casual movie goer. GI Joe is awesome to the average movie goer.

Yet most of that is the recipe used for transformers. And the casual movie goer is lured by flashy. GI Joe dosnt have aliens in it. :p

artist

Banned
LM4sure said:
We'll see, I dont think the average joe is least interested in the movie.

artist

Banned
G-Fex said:
I'm looking forward to G.I. Joe, no way will it be TF2 bad. At least that's the mindset I have it on now.
I cant say about the content but the rushes (CGI) looks absolutely crap in comparison to TF2.

irfan said:
We'll see, I dont think the average joe is least interested in the movie.
How can you actually gauge that though? People were excited when the movie trailer popped during my bruno screening. Positive reaction to the movie trailer has been through the internet. No reviews yet for it. You really cant judge more than that right now.

LM4sure

Banned
Revelations said:
Yet most of that is the recipe used for transformers. And the casual movie goer is lured by flashy. GI Joe dosnt have aliens in it. :p

The first movie was not nearly as successful as the sequel. But the TF movies had recognizable faces, District 9 does not. TF relied on a large fan base from a long running tv show, District 9 does not. In fact, GI Joe does!

Thus GI Joe will be moderately successful, even though it is an awful movie. District 9 might be a fantastic movie, but will bomb.

critch

Banned
LM4sure said:
If you think GI Joe will bomb, District 9 doesn't stand a chance! That movie will be lucky to make $20M.

Fixed for accuracy.

GI Joe is getting good reviews from people that have seen it, not the bullshit rumors that were going around. It'll make Mummy 3 money. No huge bomb but no huge success either. Harry just posted a great review of it. http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41748 So just like TF2, it's a lot like the material it's based on, so it'll get slammed for it.

Meanwhile, TF2 keeps on chugging along. :lol :lol

Dead

well not really...yet
Bumfuck Knowles just gave GI Joe a pretty positive review http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41748

for what its worth he fucking hated Transformers 2 and Terminator Salvation

The most successful I forsee GI Joe being is something on the level of this years Fast and Furious. It could totally bomb too though. Its pretty much a wildcard atm.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Dead said:
Bumfuck Knowles just gave GI Joe a pretty positive review http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41748

for what its worth he fucking hated Transformers 2 and Terminator Salvation

Great review. In my opinion. People shouldn't confuse this film with T2, it's gonna make a ton load of money if executed properly and the reviews are generally better. I personally, will watch this movie. Don't know if I'll like it,but it'll definitely be better than T2.

LM4sure said:
The first movie was not nearly as successful as the sequel. But the TF movies had recognizable faces, District 9 does not. TF relied on a large fan base from a long running tv show, District 9 does not. In fact, GI Joe does!

Thus GI Joe will be moderately successful, even though it is an awful movie. District 9 might be a fantastic movie, but will bomb.
You don't know the budget of district 9. So bombing as a movie is subjective. I find it funny people like you make such predictions but fail to see that movies going in with no fanfare, no hype, no recognizable faces can still come out sucessful. A movie dosnt need any of that to be scessful. Take "The Hangover" for example. An unlikely hit that has none of the attributes you claim for success. There is one name attached that people recog and that's Peter Jacksons.

I remain optimistic for greater justice.

artist

Banned
Revelations said:
How can you actually gauge that though? People were excited when the movie trailer popped during my bruno screening. Positive reaction to the movie trailer has been through the internet. No reviews yet for it. You really cant judge more than that right now.
Wow, just wow. I've seen positive reactions to the trailer on any of the forums I'm registered on. NONE.

LM4sure said:
Bookmarked.

irfan said:
Wow, just wow. I've seen positive reactions to the trailer on any of the forums I'm registered on. NONE.

Bookmarked.
Wow, really? What sites do you go to? The sites I visit which had abundantly positive reaction to the latest district 9 trailer, rottentomatoes.com, aintitcoolnews, most movie centric sites, and ironically even the youtube comments section had mostly positive reactions and those people hate everything. So if you didn't like the trailer sure but sounds to me like you have a negative agenda.

LM4sure said:
A lot depends on early reviews, but I'm doubting it'll do as poorly as you think it will. I'd be willing to bet it makes more than $20 million opening weekend at the very least. Again, assuming it's not a total turkey. GI Joe has the potential to be nearly a Dragonball level of a bomb.

artist

Banned
Revelations said:
Wow, really? What sites do you go to? The sites I visit which had abundantly positive reaction to the latest district 9 trailer, rottentomatoes.com, aintitcoolnews, most movie centric sites, and ironically even the youtube comments section had mostly positive reactions and those people hate everything. So if you didn't like the trailer sure but sounds to me like you have a negative agenda.
LOL nevermind, I thought you were talking about positive reaction to G.I.Joe trailers. :lol :D

artist

Banned
FYI, Friday estimates:

01 G-FORCE $11,525,000
02 THE UGLY TRUTH $10,800,000
03 HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE $9,300,000
04 ORPHAN $4,935,000
05 ICE AGE: DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS $2,585,000
06 TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN $2,440,000
07 THE PROPOSAL $2,135,000
08 THE HANGOVER $1,980,000
09 PUBLIC ENEMIES $1,237,000
10 BRUNO $919,000

• Very closely contested top 3 in a long time, G-FORCE will still win the weekend
  • Ouch at HBP. Lowest attended 2nd Friday among all 6 Harry Potter movies. 300M is not a lock. (good chances but not a lock)
  • Ice Age 2 still has an outside chance of cracking 200M.
  • TF2 is hitting 400M, Bayfans rejoice! :D
  • Amazing holds by Hangover & Proposal. Hangover may get to 260M & Proposal may crack 160M.
  • Public Enemies will barely fall short of 100M and Collateral will remain Mann's biggest BO success.
  • Bruno? :lol Wont even gross half of Borat. Still a success, amirite?

Sanjuro

ZephyrFate said:
Considering it only had a 42m budget, Bruno is still a success.
Bruno is not a success. It depends on the movie and the original projections. This was supposed to pass $100m at the very least.

artist

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Considering it only had a 42m budget, Bruno is still a success.
I'm not 100% sure but isnt that amount the amount Universal paid for the movie, i.e movie's budget was even lower. However in show business, success is gauged against your last movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom